Author's Chapter Notes:
Warning for this chapter, major corniness ahead! I swear I even think it’s a little nauseating; this just isn’t really like me. I guess we could all use a little corn once in a while, though. Well, hope ya’ll would like it anyway=)
Chapter 28

“I cannot believe you could be this irresponsible, William. Did you not hear what I said about it being too soon for me to be a grandfather? I wasn’t just saying that for my health.”

Spike sighed and knew the lecture would come the second he set foot in his house. “I’m sorry, Dad. This wasn’t planned, it just happened. All I could think about was finally being with Buffy that I didn’t even remember protection. I know we should have waited, but we both love each other and we were ready.”

Giles took his glasses off to clean them before putting them back on. “You aren’t ready for this kind of responsibility,” he explained in a calmer tone.

“I will be ready. Buffy is keeping the baby and I couldn’t be happier about that. I don’t regret anything that happened. We graduate in a few months and I’ll get a job after that. I will be there to support her and my child, so you don’t have to worry.”

Giles looked at his son and could see how grown up he was. “You know I will support whatever decision you make. Buffy is a very dear girl and I couldn’t be happier that the two of you are finally together. I may not be happy about this, but I will be there for both of you. No matter what happens.”

Spike smiled and gave his father a hug, which took the older man by surprise. “You don’t know how much this means to me, Dad,” he said and pulled away. “I know everything will work out.”

Giles nodded and placed his hand on Spike’s shoulder. “I have faith that it will.” He really believed that.


* * * * *


Buffy was dealing with a lecture of her own at her house.

“When did it happen?” Joyce asked.

They were both sitting in the kitchen, while Hank was upstairs with the girls.

“About a month ago, it was only the one time.”

Joyce nodded and took a deep breath. “You weren’t planned, either,” she said and caught the confused look on Buffy’s face. She immediately knew what her daughter was thinking. “I don’t regret anything, Buffy. You were the best thing that ever happened to me and I will continue to think that. I was just so young and I didn’t know what to do. I never wanted you to be in the same position.”

“I know you didn’t, but I’m going to be okay. I have Spike with me and I believe that everything will be fine. I really want this child; I never thought I could want anything this much before. I just don’t want you to hate me.”

Joyce could see the tears in Buffy’s eyes and had to make things right. “Oh, honey. I will never hate you.” She embraced her daughter.

Buffy hugged her back and cried.

“You won’t be alone in this. I’ll be with you through everything.”

Buffy looked up at her mother and gave her a small smile. “Thank you,” she said and hugged her again.

Joyce found herself crying along with her daughter.


* * * * *


Buffy and Spike told their friends when they got back to school on Monday.

They were just as shocked, except for Willow since she already knew. They were all supportive of Buffy’s decision to keep the baby.

Buffy and Spike walked to the beach later that night because it was their favorite spot.

He sat down and pulled Buffy down with him.

They were lost in thought as they gazed out at the ocean.

“It’s so beautiful here,” she whispered.

Spike kissed her hair. “That it is, love.”

Buffy turned to look at him. “Spike, do you want a girl or boy?”

He smiled and still couldn’t believe that she was carrying his child. “It doesn’t matter to me. As long as he or she is healthy. That’s all that matters.”

Buffy smiled at his answer and looked back at the ocean.

Spike was really nervous when he thought about what he wanted to ask her, figuring now was as good a time as any. He suddenly stood up and pulled her up with him.

Buffy was confused. She was even more confused when she saw the look on his face. “Are you okay?”

He nodded. “I have never been more okay. There’s something I wanted to ask you.”

Buffy wondered what could make him so nervous. “You know you can ask me anything.”

Spike nodded again, then reached into his pocket to pull out a black box. He grabbed both of Buffy’s hands and got on one knee.

Her eyes bulged when she knew what was coming.

Spike looked into her eyes. “Buffy, I love you more than anything in this world. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me.”

Buffy gasped when he opened the box to reveal a beautiful, diamond ring inside.

Spike took a deep breath. “Will you marry me?”

She was in a state of shock, then shook herself out of it. “You promise this isn't because I'm pregnant?”

“I promise, Buffy. I would have asked you years ago if I could.”

That brought a big smile to Buffy's face as she gazed at the ring. “God, Spike. Yes, I’ll marry you.”

Spike smiled as well and took the ring out of the box, placing it on her finger. He then stood up and grabbed her in a big hug, lifting her off the ground a little.

She burst into laughter.

He put her down and cupped her cheek, giving her a soft kiss on the lips. “I love you.”

She couldn’t keep the smile off of her face. “I love you, too.”

They sat back down after that.

Buffy was admiring the ring. “Spike, it’s so beautiful.”

“Yeah, it belonged to my mother. I told my dad that I was planning on proposing to you and he gave it to me. Of course, he made me promise that we would wait until after we graduated.”

Buffy nodded, feeling touched that he would give her his mother’s ring. She took her eyes off of the ring to gaze up at him. “I’ll always treasure it.”

Spike gave her another kiss and settled her head against his shoulder.

They both then continued to look out at the ocean.