Chapter 32

5 months later...

“Who’s the winner now, pillock?”

Xander glared at his friend. “I almost had you. Two out of three?”

Spike nodded. “You’re on, mate.”

They were both sitting in the Summers house and playing video games, while the girls were shopping for last minute baby things.

Buffy was upstairs resting. She finally turned eighteen two months ago and felt better having her baby when she was officially an adult. She came back downstairs and the boys didn’t even look up from their game. “Spike?” she said to get his attention.

He finally noticed her. “What is it, sweetheart?” he asked and was concerned by the expression he saw on her face.

She took a deep breath before answering. “I think the baby’s coming.”

Spike’s eyes bulged, along with Xander’s.

They both jumped to their feet, the game suddenly forgotten.

“Are you sure, love?”

Buffy nodded. “Pretty sure, my water just broke,” she explained and was hit by a sharp pain, clutching at her stomach.

“All right, we’re gonna get you to the hospital. Xander, grab her bag.”

Xander nodded and did just that.

Spike went over to Buffy and put his arms around her. “Let’s get you outside, pet.”

Buffy nodded again and let Spike help her out of the house.

“I’ll drive you guys. We’ll call Mrs. Summers on the way and tell them to meet us there,” Xander said as they helped Buffy into the car.

They were soon driving off to the hospital.


* * * * *


Everyone else arrived a little while later and was sitting in the waiting room, while Spike was in the delivery room with Buffy.

She was breathing heavily.

Spike had a firm grip on her hand.

“All right, we’re almost ready. How are you feeling, Buffy?” the doctor, Riley Finn, asked her.

“Like I’m about to push a basketball out of me.”

He nodded. “You’re about to push sooner than you think. Are you ready?”

Buffy nodded as well. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

Spike grasped her hand tighter. “You can do this, baby.”

Buffy looked up at him and knew that she would be able to handle anything with Spike by her side.

“It’s time, Buffy. Give us a big push.”

Buffy closed her eyes and pushed with everything that she had. She let out a scream as the pain took over her body, then stopped and lay back in the bed. “God, it hurts. I can’t do this,” she said shakily.

Spike kissed her forehead. “Yes, you can. You’re strong, sweetheart. You can do anything.”

Buffy took a deep breath and pushed again. It took a lot out of her and she was exhausted.

“I can see the baby’s head. You’re almost there, Buffy. You have to push one more time. Can you do that?”

Buffy hoped she could and gave one more push. She lay back when she was finished and heard the sound of her baby crying.

Dr. Finn took the infant and smiled at the couple. “Congratulations, you have a beautiful, baby girl.”

Buffy smiled through her tears.

Spike gazed at his wife, with tears in his eyes as well. “We have a daughter, Buffy,” he said in awe.

They cleaned the baby off and wrapped her in a pink blanket.

The doctor placed her in Buffy’s arms.

Buffy held the baby and stared at her in wonder. She glanced up at her husband. “Spike, she’s so beautiful.”

“Just like her mum,” he replied and pressed a kiss to her lips. Spike looked at his daughter for a moment and then back at Buffy. “What are we going to name her, love? It’s your choice.”

Buffy gazed at the bundle in her arms. She knew of the perfect name and gazed into Spike’s eyes.

“How about Jennifer?”

Spike felt touched that she would name their child after his mother. “It’s perfect, love. How does Jennifer Elizabeth Giles sound?”

Buffy agreed and looked back at her daughter. “It suits her. I’m going to love you forever, Jenny,” she whispered.

Spike again couldn’t believe how lucky he was.

The others came into the room later to meet Jenny as they each took turns holding her.

Giles was also touched that they chose to name the baby after his wife.

Cordelia looked at her exhausted friend. “Tell me the truth, Buffy. How much does it hurt?”

She sighed. “It’s the worst pain I’ve ever felt.”

Cordelia winced and placed her hand over her stomach.

Buffy smiled to ease her fears. “But in the end, it’s all worth it. There’s no greater feeling.”

Cordelia felt a little better now.

Angel put his arm around her.

Cordelia smiled at him. She couldn’t wait until she brought her baby into this world.

They all left later that night.

Spike was the only one left in the room as he watched Buffy sleep. He knew how exhausted she was. He held Jenny in his arms, staring at his sleeping child and placing a soft kiss on the top of her head. “You’re Daddy’s little angel. I’m going to take such good care of you, baby. You and your mother. I love you more than anything,” he whispered and looked to see that Buffy was still sleeping peacefully. “My two perfect angels.” He turned his attention back on his daughter. Spike let a smile form on his face when he thought about his new family. He had everything that he could have ever wanted. Nothing else seemed to matter.