Chapter 7

Spike waited for Buffy by her locker after school, like he did every day. He smiled when he finally saw her in the distance, but his smile soon faded when he noticed that Angel was with her. She was laughing at something the bloke said when she finally got over to him.

"Hey, Spike," she said.

Spike plastered a fake smile on his face. "What's so funny?"

Buffy shook her head. "Nothing, you had to be there."

"Yeah, it's a shame I couldn't then. You ready to go?"

She nodded and looked at Angel. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

He nodded as well. "That you will. Thanks again for helping me out today, Buffy. I really liked spending time with you."

She gave him a smile. "Sure, don't mention it."

Spike rolled his eyes, but neither of them noticed.

"Well, I'll let you go now," he said and moved closer to Buffy, placing a quick kiss on her cheek. "It was nice to meet you. Both of you," he said the last part to Spike, just seeming to take notice that he was there.

Spike only nodded and watched Angel walk away. "Bloody pillock," he mumbled.

Buffy stared at him. "He's a nice guy. You didn't wanna show him around, so I did you a favor. I figured you would be grateful."

"Yeah, but that was when I thought it was some girl you would be showing around. I don't like him."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "You don't even know him. Why should it matter that he's a guy? What? I'm not allowed to hang out with other guys besides you?"

Spike shook his head. "That's not what I meant. I just want you to be careful, you're still vulnerable."

She glared at him. "Are you kidding me? The whole thing with Parker was two years ago. I'm so over that. I'm older now and I know how to handle myself. You worry too much, Spike."

He shrugged. "Well, that's the best friend's job. I'm supposed to worry about you. I just know how much that wanker hurt you and I don't want you to go through that again."

Buffy looked into his eyes to see how sincere he was.

"You're an amazing person, Buffy. You deserve someone who will treat you like one. Someone that would worship the ground you walk on. Someone that knows what he has when he has you," he finished and caressed her cheek, dropping his hand after a second. "I guess what I'm saying is that you deserve to be happy."

Buffy smiled at him and then wrapped her arms around him in a hug.

He hugged her back and kissed the top of her head.

"I kinda love you, you know that?"

Spike knew that she only meant as a friend, but it was better than nothing. "I kinda love you, too."