Chapter 8

They entered her house later that day.

Buffy closed the door once they were inside. "Mom, I'm home!" she yelled, then heard footsteps running down the stairs.

"Spike!" Casey exclaimed.

He gave the girl a smile and picked her up. "How's my little nibblet today?"

She graced him with a smile of her own. "I'm fine; I drew a picture in school today. You wanna see?"

Spike nodded. "I would love to, princess," he replied and carried her back up the stairs.

Buffy smiled as she watched them go. Her little sisters loved Spike and he was so good with them. She headed into the kitchen to see Joyce, who looked up when her daughter walked in.

"Did I hear Spike out there?"

Buffy nodded and sat down. "Yep, he's dealing with the brats right now. I wish him luck with that."

Joyce smiled. "How was school, honey?"

Buffy shrugged. "It was good. I met a guy today. He's new and I offered to show him around."

Joyce sighed and sat down by Buffy. "I see, is this a decent guy?"

She rolled her eyes. "I just met him, but yes, he seems decent."

Joyce placed her hand over Buffy’s. "They all seem decent at first, sweetheart."

Buffy could feel the lecture coming. "I get it, Mom. I have to be careful. I already got the lecture from Spike. Don't need one from you, too."

"I wouldn't dream about giving you a lecture. Spike does that so much better, anyway."

Buffy agreed and looked away from her mother's gaze.

Joyce took a deep breath. "What about William? He is such a nice, young man. And you know that you can trust him. You’ve known each other since you were babies."

Buffy raised her eyebrows at the odd turn the conversation took. She knew it was serious when her mother called Spike by his given name. "What are you getting at, Mom? You know we're just friends."

Joyce nodded. "I know, but that doesn't mean there can't be more between you two."

Buffy shrugged. "I admit that I’ve thought about it, but he doesn't see me like that. I'm over that huge crush I used to have on him. I was twelve then and I'm seventeen now. I’ve managed to grow up a bit. We’re just friends. He's like an older brother."

Joyce nodded again and decided to accept her daughter's answer, for now anyway.

Spike then came back downstairs and joined them in the kitchen.

"So, how are the rug rats?" Buffy asked him.

He sighed and sat down next to her. "They're fighting over something again. Taking care of those two seems like a bloody lot of work."

Joyce had to agree. "You have no idea," she said and headed out of the kitchen to see what her children were up to now.

Spike turned his gaze back on Buffy. "So, what were you two ladies talking about?"

Buffy just shook her head. "Nothing," she replied, looking away from him.

Spike figured something was on her mind, but he didn't pressure her about it. She would tell him when she was ready.