Chapter 10

Spike walked Buffy to her door later that night. She had to get home and he offered to take her, now that his car was out of the shop. Buffy looked at him a little shyly when they were in front of her house. "Thanks, for bailing me out. It seems like I'm always sitting by myself when the others do the couple thing." She told him.

"Don't mention it. A girl as pretty as you shouldn't be sitting by herself anyway." Buffy blushed at his comment. He tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and moved closer to her. She thought that he was going to kiss her on the lips, but he turned and kissed her on the cheek instead. "I'll see you tomorrow, love." She nodded as he headed back to his car and drove away. Buffy sighed as she opened the door and walked into the house. She leaned her head against the door for a few seconds.

"Hey, I thought I heard something." Jenny said as she came out of the kitchen. "How was your night, honey?" Buffy shrugged and went into the living room and sat down on the couch.

"It was okay." Jenny sat down next to her.

"Anything you want to talk about?" Buffy sighed and looked at Jenny.

"I guess I'm just confused. How do you know if a guy likes you? I mean really likes you as in more than just a friend?" Jenny smiled at her; a month ago she never would have imagined that she would be having this conversation with Buffy.

"Are you referring to William?" Buffy looked down and nodded. "I thought you were, he seems very nice. He's been very helpful to you, it only makes sense that feelings would develop." Buffy looked up at her.

"I don't know if they have. I know I like him, but I'm not sure how he feels. He probably doesn't think about me like that." Jenny seemed surprised.

"Why would you think that?" Buffy shrugged.

"He seems really popular with the girls at school and they are all really pretty. I saw his ex-girlfriend and I don't even compare." Jenny turned Buffy, so that she was looking at her.

"You are a very beautiful girl and I'm sure he knows it. I am so proud of how you turned out and I know that your mother would be proud, too. She always wanted what was best for you and I know she would be so happy if she could see you now." Buffy had tears in her eyes and Jenny hugged the girl to her. "I love you, sweetie." She whispered to her.

"I love you, too." Buffy replied as they both then just sat there in silence.


* * * * *


Buffy was walking to her locker the next day, so she could put the books that she was carrying away when someone bumped into her causing her to drop all the books. "Sorry, didn't see you there." Buffy saw Clara standing in front of her with her hands on her hips. "Here, let me help you with that." She bent down like she was going to pick up the books when she kicked them further away from Buffy instead. "Oops, sorry again." Buffy didn't say anything as she picked up the books herself; she made her way past Clara and opened her locker, putting the books inside. She then closed her locker and saw that Clara was staring at her with a scowl on her face.

"Is there something that you wanted?" Buffy asked her trying to be polite. Clara walked closer to her, so that their noses were almost touching.

"I want you to stay the hell away from Spike. You got that, blondie?" Buffy stepped back a little.

"I didn't realize that he belonged to you. I don't remember seeing your name engraved on his forehead or something." Clara glared at the other girl.

"He will always belong to me, bitch. You think you actually mean something to him? He feels sorry for you which is the only reason he's hanging out with you in the first place, like he could really be interested in such a loser. He still loves me and he always will, the poor guy can't seem to get over me. He's probably only using you to make me jealous, like that could even happen. Get that through your thick skull and if I see you anywhere near him again, you will be sorry." With that said, she turned and walked away. Buffy stared after her wondering if there was any truth in her words, she just shook it off and headed to lunch. Buffy was quiet all during lunch and Willow was starting to wonder if she decided to stop talking again.

"Buffy, are you okay?" She decided to ask her friend and Buffy looked up at her and gave her a faint smile.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Willow accepted her answer and decided to let it go for now. She then looked and saw Spike walk over to them and Willow was surprised. He smiled at them and Xander turned away from Cordelia to glare at him.

"Hello all, how's it going?" Spike asked as he sat down next to Buffy. She moved away from him a little and he didn't seem to notice.

"We're just fine. What do you want, bleach boy?" Xander said and Spike had a hurt look on his face at the name, but Xander didn't seem to care. Willow elbowed him.

"Xander, be nice." Xander then turned his glare on her.

"Why should I, Will? He thinks he can just hang out with us again after ditching us for the popular crowd. It doesn't work that way." He said as he stood up. "You coming, Cordy?" He asked his girlfriend and she looked at the faces around her and then shrugged as she followed Xander out of the cafeteria. Willow then looked back at Spike.

"I'm sorry about that. It's still hard for him." Spike nodded and smiled at her.

"Don't worry about it, Red. He had every right to act like that. I don't know if it means anything now, but I'm really sorry about everything." Willow smiled at him and didn't say anything. Oz being his usual quiet self placed his hand over Willow's and gave it a squeeze. Spike then looked at Buffy and noticed that she hasn't said anything since he sat down and she seemed to be avoiding his gaze. "You okay, love? Not going mute on us again, are you?" Spike said trying to make a joke, but she didn't laugh or even smile. She just looked at Willow, anywhere but at him.

"I'm sorry, but I have to go." She said as she grabbed her stuff and walked out of the cafeteria without even looking back. Spike looked back at Willow.

"Is something wrong with her?" Willow shrugged.

"I don't know, she has been kinda quiet since we sat down. I asked her if she was okay, but she wouldn't tell me anything." Spike nodded.

"I'll see you guys later." He said as he got up to go after Buffy. He headed for her locker and then stopped when he saw her in front of the locker talking with Ben. He couldn't hear what they were saying, but he noticed that the boy was standing a little too close to her and she seemed to be laughing at whatever he said. Spike was about to break it up when he saw Ben lean closer to her until he was kissing her on the lips. Spike cringed and looked away from them. He decided that he couldn't handle it right now and walked in the other direction.


* * * * *


Don't kill me, it'll all work out. I do have angst as one of the genres after all. Thanks for all the reviews=)