Chapter 11

Buffy pushed Ben away after a few seconds. She didn't even know what she was doing, this wasn't like her. "I'm sorry, it just seems like this is going too fast." Ben nodded and stepped away from her.

"You're right; I don't know what I was thinking. I just have wanted to do that for a while now, I guess I got carried away." Buffy smiled at him, he seemed really sweet.

"It's okay; maybe we should just slow things down a little." Ben agreed.

"How about I take you out tonight? There's this great band playing at the Bronze if you're interested in going with me." He said hoping that she would say yes.

"Okay, that sounds good." Ben gave her a big smile.

"Great, how about I pick you up at 7:30? Is that good?" Buffy nodded and went into her bag and grabbed a paper and pen to write her address and phone number on it, she then gave him the paper. He looked at it and smiled at her again. "I guess I'll see you then, Buffy." She nodded and he kissed her on the cheek before he walked away. Buffy sighed when he was gone, for some reason that made her think about Spike. She shook that thought away; she was not going to think about Spike. She was surprised that she actually had a real date; she's never had that before. She smiled as she headed to her next class.


* * * * *


Buffy walked out of school at the end of the day and headed home. She was in her own little world and didn't realize that someone was calling her name. "Buffy, wait up!" She stopped at the voice and turned to see Spike running after her. He was out of breath when he finally caught up to her. "Bloody hell, pet. I have been calling you for the last five minutes." Buffy shrugged.

"Sorry, guess I didn't hear you. I have a lot on my mind." She said as she continued to walk and he walked beside her.

"Yeah, and what would that be?" He asked her.

"Why do you care?" Spike grabbed her arm to stop her and forced her to look at him.

"Of course I care. How can you ask that?" Buffy looked at him not knowing what to believe anymore.

"I'm sorry, but I have to get home." Spike wasn't letting her off that easily.

"No, not until you tell me what's bothering you." Buffy shrugged again.

"Nothing is bothering me." Spike didn't buy it.

"I know something is bothering you. You have been avoiding me all day and I wanna know why. What exactly did I do, Buffy?" Buffy sighed.

"It's nothing, okay? Just forget it, now I have to get home. I have to finish my homework earlier because I have a date tonight." Spike didn't like the sound of that.

"Oh, don't tell me it's with Ben?" Buffy was wondering how he knew that.

"As a matter of fact it is. Do you have a problem with that?" Spike was losing patience. He already wanted to kill the guy after he saw them kiss in the hall and now this.

"You're damn right I have a problem with that. You can't be serious about going out with that wanker. He's no good, Buffy. You can't trust him." Buffy was getting mad now.

"Why, because you say so? He has been nothing but nice to me." Spike sighed; this wasn't going to be easy.

"He doesn't really like you, Buffy. Ben only cares about one thing and that's to get into a girl's knickers. You'll only get hurt." Buffy crossed her arms over her chest.

"No, the only thing that hurts is this conversation. God, is it so hard to believe that someone could actually like me? I know I have some issues that I still need to deal with and I know I'm not popular or even that attractive for that matter, but why is it so hard to believe that someone could be interested in me?" She stated as tears started to form in her eyes. Spike softened when he saw her cry. He hated seeing girls cry.

"That's not what I meant, Buffy." She didn't even let him finish.

"I don't care, I have to go. It doesn't matter what you say, I don't believe you and I'm going out with him. He is the first guy that has ever shown me any real interest in the past few years. He may not really be the one I want to go out with, but he's all there is right now since the one guy that I actually really like doesn't want anything to do with me." Buffy didn't mean to blurt that out, but she didn't seem to care anymore.

"What are you talking about?" He asked her.

"It doesn't matter. Just go back to your girlfriend, Spike. It's obvious that you're still in love with her. I have to go." She then ran off with tears coming down her face. Spike watched her go not sure if he should go after her or not. He didn't know what she was talking about, but he figured that Clara might have some idea. He decided that he would have a chat with his ex.