Chapter 3

Spike walked into the library after school. "I'm here, Uncle Rupes. What did you want?" Spike asked as he crossed his arms over his chest. He noticed that Buffy was sitting down at the table. He uncrossed his arms and smiled at her. "Hey, pet. How's it going?" Buffy looked away from him and didn't say anything. Spike tilted his head to the side to really look at her. "What's the matter, cat got your tongue?" Giles then showed up and glared at him.

"William, can I see you in my office?" Spike nodded as he followed Giles into his office. He closed the door once they were inside. When the door was closed Giles smacked Spike on the head. "What is the matter with you?" He asked him in a low tone and Spike rubbed his head.

"Was that really necessary, what did I say?" Giles sighed.

"Why must you be so inconsiderate? That comment wasn't called for." Spike shrugged.

"Why don't you give her the lecture? She's the one that is being rude by not answering someone when they talk to her. I guess because I'm related to you that I should just get all the lectures then, and I told you that the name is Spike now." Giles sighed again. He seemed to be doing that a lot around his nephew.

"I told you that I refused to call you that. Now will you stop acting like a child and listen to why I wanted you here?" He asked.

"Look, whatever it is I swear I didn't do it. I'm not the cause of everything that goes wrong at this school." Giles took his glasses off and cleaned them. He then put them back on and looked at Spike.

"That's not what this is about, William. I need your assistance with Buffy." Spike raised his eyebrows.

"What about her?" Giles hoped he knew what he was doing. The last thing the girl needed was his influence, but he didn't see another way. She needed someone to relate to and Giles figured that she could be a good influence on him, if he would just listen for once.

"Well, as you know she is new here and that can be very difficult. I would like for you to help her adjust, show her around and I don't just mean at school. Perhaps get her involved in some activities, nothing of the illegal sort." Spike rolled his eyes.

"That could really be bad for my image. I can't just have her tag along with me; I'll never hear the end of it." Giles sighed again.

"Could you for once stop caring about your image and what other people will think and do something for someone else for a change?" Spike sighed also and looked out of the little window on the door and watched Buffy. She just seemed so shy and lost, it wouldn't be easy. He had a feeling that something was wrong with her though.

"Alright, I'll see what I can do, but I'm not promising anything." Giles nodded and figured that was the best he would get. "What's wrong with her?" Spike asked while he was still looking at Buffy.

"Pardon?" Spike turned back to Giles.

"I mean I have seen shy girls before, but this one seems like she doesn't want to talk at all. Is something wrong with her?" Giles sighed and sat down at his desk, Spike decided to keep standing.

"Her parents were killed about three years ago. Buffy saw it happen and let's just say that it was a very traumatizing experience for her. She hasn't spoken a word to anyone since." Giles said and Spike didn't know what to think. He now felt really bad about his comment. He looked at her again and really felt for her. He knew what it was like to lose your parents. She could probably use a friend right now, so he decided that he was going to help her, anyway he could.