Chapter 5

Buffy was sitting in her room reading for class when she decided to take a break. She lay down on her bed and rested her eyes for a second. She looked at her desk and picked up the picture that was there. She saw the smiling faces of her parents staring back at her. Buffy remembered what happened like it was yesterday, but she never cried. She didn't think she had it in her. She heard a knock on the door and she put the picture back on her desk as Jenny walked in with a plate in her hands. She smiled at Buffy and sat on her bed. "I made some cookies, you hardly ate anything at dinner and I figured you might be hungry." Buffy nodded and Jenny put the plate on her desk. She looked at the girl that she has come to love like a daughter. "I miss them, too. Every day it seems to get harder, but we're at a new place where there aren't any bad memories. I know things will be better here, sweetie. We just have to try to make the best of it." Jenny kissed Buffy on the forehead and left her room. She closed the door and leaned her head against it. Jenny met Joyce and Hank in college and the three of them were very close. She practically helped take care of Buffy since she was a baby which is why she was so close to the girl, it seemed like the obvious thing to do was to take her in. She didn't have anyone else. Jenny headed back downstairs with hopes that things really will get better.


* * * * *


Spike and Faith were at the Bronze later that night. They were sitting at a table and trying to talk over the music. "Wow, that has to suck. So, you really think you can help her?" Faith said after Spike finished telling her about Buffy.

"I don't know, but I have to try something. I just feel that I can relate to what she's going through, more or less." Faith nodded.

"Yeah, well I think you're doing a good thing. You may act all tough, but I know you have a big heart." Spike smiled at her and then turned his gaze out to the dance floor and his smile faded when he saw Clara wearing a tight leather outfit and dancing with some bloke. Her dark, curly hair bouncing around her face. It seemed like just yesterday he was running his fingers through it.

"Yeah, which makes it easier for birds to break it." Faith saw who he was looking at and sighed.

"You really need to forget about her, Spike. She's not even worth it." Spike nodded and looked back at her.

"I know, but it doesn't make me feel any better. I gave everything to that girl and she didn't even care. She acted like what we had didn't even mean anything to her. I thought my time with Drusilla was awful. Is this how it's always going to be? Give your heart to a girl and she steps all over it." Faith shrugged.

"I'm sure it won't always be like that. You just haven't found the right one yet. You're only 18, you have plenty of time." Spike nodded even though he wasn't convinced. Faith then looked out on the dance floor and smiled before she turned back to Spike. She put her hand on his shoulder. "I really wish I could help you, but it's a shame you're not my type." She told him before she headed over to a familiar brunette that she has been noticing a lot at the Bronze. Spike just watched her go and shook his head, he really needed a cigarette. He was about to head outside when he saw this cute, blonde girl staring at him from across the room. He took a deep breath and walked over to her. She smiled at him as he came closer.

"Hey, what's your name?" She asked him.

"Spike, what's yours?" He said as he smiled back at her.

"Anya Jenkins, it's nice to meet you." She said as she shook his hand.

"Right, you too." She dropped his hand and walked closer to him, so that they were almost touching.

"How about we go somewhere a little quieter. You look like you could give good orgasms and I'm in need of some right about now. What do you say?" Spike couldn't believe what he was hearing, this girl was very blunt.

"You know what, I think I'm gonna have to pass on that one. See you around." He replied as he walked away. Spike couldn't believe he just said that as he left the Bronze, he really needed a cigarette.