Chapter 6

Over a week went by and Spike was on the football field again smoking a cigarette. He hasn't made much progress with Buffy yet, she seemed like she didn't want help and he didn't think that she really trusted him. He knew this would take longer, but he had all the time in the world. "William?" He heard the British voice behind him and quickly threw the cigarette on the ground and stepped on it, hoping he wouldn't be caught with it when he turned at the voice and sighed.

"Oh, it's you. Sorry, thought you were my uncle. What can I help you with, Wesley?" Spike asked his Science teacher. He was the only teacher that let everyone call him by his first name. He was also one of Spike's favorite teachers and Science was the only class that he could really tolerate. Well, besides English.

"You know that really is a filthy habit." He said and Spike rolled his eyes.

"So I hear. I have a feeling you're not out here to tell me about my filthy habits." Wesley shook his head.

"I actually need your help with another student. Do you know Buffy Summers?" Spike raised his eyebrows when he said her name.

"Yeah, what about her?" He asked now interested.

"Well, I know she is a very bright girl even though she is a bit quiet. She doesn't seem to participate much and she seems to be having trouble in class. You are a bit distant, but you do very well in class and I was wondering if perhaps you could help her with the work." Spike sighed; he wondered if his uncle put him up to this.

"So, you want me to tutor her? Do you have any idea what that would do to my reputation?" Wesley shrugged.

"Isn't helping a young girl in need more important, William?" Spike sighed again; everyone was good at making him feel guilty.

"I'll offer to help her, but she may not want my help." Wesley nodded.

"Well, I already spoke to her about it. She seemed like she wouldn't mind the extra help." Spike looked at him.

"Did she say anything?" Wesley shook his head.

"I'm afraid not. I'll see you in class, William. Try to be on time." Spike nodded as Wesley walked away. He stood there for a while longer just thinking. He had to tutor her now which meant that he would get to spend more time with her. He smiled at that. This could be a good thing after all.


* * * * *


Buffy was at her locker with Willow and Xander. They became instant friends when they introduced themselves at lunch on her first day. She seemed like a really sweet girl even though they haven't heard her talk yet; they figured she would when she was ready. Willow looked at her and noticed that she always seemed to have her hair up. "Hey, Buffy. Why don't you ever leave your hair down? I bet it looks pretty." Buffy shrugged. Willow didn't say anything else about it. They were then greeted by Cordelia and Xander put his arm around his girlfriend when she showed up.

"So, you guys going to the Bronze tonight? I hear Oz is playing." Cordelia told them and Willow's mood brightened.

"Really, he never told me that." She stated and Cordelia shrugged.

"Maybe he wanted to surprise you, but I guess I would have just ruined that." Willow smiled at her.

"It's fine, I'm up for going. What about you, Buffy?" Buffy shrugged again and looked away. Willow sighed; she really wished she would talk to her. Giles told her that Buffy hasn't spoken for about three years. Willow figured that maybe she wanted to talk, but after not saying anything for so long, she might have forgotten how. Willow then looked up and saw Spike walking toward them. Xander noticed also and he didn't look happy.

"Hey, I need to talk to Buffy." Spike said and Willow nodded wondering what he wanted to talk to her about, but she didn't say anything. Buffy just avoided his gaze. Xander glared at Spike and he noticed. He then grabbed Cordelia's hand.

"Come on, Cordy. Let's go." He said as he pulled her away.

"We'll see you tonight, Willow." Cordelia stated as she let Xander pull her away. Spike sighed, he knew coming over to her when they were around would be a bad idea. Willow still seemed nice to him, but Xander obviously hated him. I guess that would be understandable. They used to be best friends until he changed his appearance and started hanging out with people that would never be caught dead with them. Willow smiled at him and turned back to Buffy.

"I'll see you later." She said to Buffy and then looked back at Spike. "Bye, Spike." She said as she walked away. When she was gone, he turned his attention back to Buffy who was still looking away from him.

"Hey, what did I say about eye contact?" He said and she then looked up at him. "That's a good girl." He told her as he gave her a smile and put his arm around her. He was relieved when she didn't pull away. "Come on, pet. Let's go for a walk." Spike decided to get started on the tutoring as soon as possible. He told Giles that he would be doing it and Giles told Jenny, so it would be okay for Buffy to come over to his house. He just finished telling her that he would be helping her as they walked to his house. He lived close to the school. He opened the door and walked in and after a few seconds of standing outside, she joined him. She looked around the house, it was very big. "It's okay, Jenny knows you're here. Wouldn't want her to worry now would we?" Buffy looked at him and shook her head. They were about to head upstairs when Buffy saw a little girl come down. "Hey, nibblet. This is Buffy." The girl smiled at Buffy.

"Hi, I'm Spike's sister Dawn." She said as she shook Buffy's hand. The girl didn't seem at all shy about meeting someone new.

"We're going to be working upstairs, so it's best that you stay out of the way." Spike told her and she rolled her eyes.

"You don't have to worry; I'm going next door to Jessica's house. She has a big screen TV. It's way cool, we're gonna watch The Princess Diaries." She told him.

"Is your homework finished?" Dawn nodded.

"Yep, I'm not like you." She said as she stuck out her tongue. Spike ruffled her hair.

"Go, have fun." He told her.

"I have to fix my hair now." She said as she went into the bathroom to fix herself up. Spike turned back to Buffy.

"She's 12 and she's already worried about looks. What will I do when she's 16?" He whispered and Buffy smiled at that. Spike realized that it was the first time he's ever seen her smile. It looked like he was finally starting to make progress. He didn't care what it took, he was going to do whatever he could to get her to smile more and maybe even talk.