Chapter 7

A few more weeks went by and Buffy and Spike were studying in his room and he needed a break. She seemed to be a quick learner, but he really wanted to have a real conversation with her. He was hoping she would have said something by now. He didn't know what he had to do to get her to talk to him; he already tried everything he could think of to make conversation. He decided that he might have to talk about what made her decide not to talk in the first place. He looked at her and took a deep breath. "My uncle told me about your parents, I'm sorry about what happened. That must have been hard." Buffy looked away from him and nodded. He took another breath and continued. "I lost my parents about four years ago." She looked up at him when he said that and he decided that he was getting somewhere. "After that we were sent here to live with Rupert. There was no one else that could take us in. So, I know what you're going through. I know how hard it is, but it does get easier. It won't always hurt like this. I just want you to know that I'm here for you and you can trust me. I think it might be easier for you to talk about what you feel instead of keeping everything inside. If that ever happens, I'll be here for you." Buffy nodded again and she seemed to take a deep breath also. He then stood up. "I'm gonna get us something to drink, you're probably thirsty." He told her as he headed for the door, but a voice suddenly stopped him.

"H-how did they d-die?" Spike turned at her quiet, soft voice. He sighed in relief as he walked back to her and sat down again. That was a really good sound to hear.

"They were in a car accident, from what I know they were killed by a drunk driver." Buffy nodded and looked back at him.

"I'm s-sorry." She told him.

"Don't worry about it. I think I'm dealing okay. What about you?" Buffy shrugged.

"I d-don't think I'm dealing so well." Spike nodded and took her hand.

"You seem fine to me, it's just really good to hear you." Buffy smiled at him.

"Thank you." She replied in a quiet tone. He dropped her hand and looked into her eyes.

"Do you want to talk about what happened? I know it's hard, but you can tell me. It might make you feel better to get it out." Buffy nodded and took another breath before she started to talk again.

"I was upstairs when I heard someone break into our h-house. I heard a gun shot and my mom screaming, so I came out of my room and watched from upstairs. I saw my dad on the ground, b-blood everywhere and my mom at his side. Then I saw the man shoot her, I didn't see his face. After that I ran into their room and called 911. I went back to see if I could see him, but I tripped and he heard me. I saw that he was wearing a mask, so I never got a good look at his face." She stopped for a second and Spike noticed that she had tears in her eyes. He also noticed that she didn't seem to be stuttering as much as she was talking about the situation. She wiped at her eyes and continued her story. "He grabbed me and carried me downstairs, throwing me on the floor right by the bodies of my parents, so I could get a good look at them. There was so much blood. He pointed the gun toward my head and I thought he was going to k-kill me, but then he heard the police sirens outside and ran off. An ambulance came and took my parents away, they died instantly. Then the police took me to the station because they couldn't leave me there alone. They called Jenny because she was the only person that I knew of to call and she came and got me and I've been staying with her ever since. I don't know if they caught the guy. I still have nightmares about it." Buffy put her head in her hands and started to cry for the first real time since it happened. She couldn't keep the tears in anymore. Spike moved closer to her, so he could put his arm around her. She turned and then cried into his chest and he just rubbed her back in comfort.

"God, I'm so sorry. That's too much for anyone to deal with. It's okay to cry, it's good to let it all out." He felt her nod against his chest and she pulled away from him and wiped her eyes.

"It feels like I haven't done that in a long time." Spike nodded also.

"Well, I'm glad that I'm the first person you felt comfortable enough to cry in front of. Do you feel better now?" He asked her.

"Yeah, I think I do. I guess I really needed that. I was afraid to talk about what happened to anyone because I was afraid I would cry and that I wouldn't be able to stop and I had to be strong. That's why I decided not to say anything; I didn't want to start talking because I was scared that it would all come out and that I wouldn't be able to handle it." Spike rubbed her back again.

"You don't have to be strong all the time, sometimes it's good to just have a good cry." Buffy agreed.

"I believe that now." Spike nodded as he wiped more tears off of her face. He looked at her and decided to try something.

"Can I see something?" He asked her and she nodded again. He then took the clip that she had holding her hair up and took it out of her hair and let her golden locks fall around her face in waves. He smiled at her and handed her the clip back. "You should leave it like that." Buffy smiled at him also and put the clip in her pocket. She figured it was time for a change. He then took her hand and they walked out of his room. They went downstairs to see that Giles wasn't home yet. He turned back to look at her. "I guess I'll be walking you home." He said as they both left the house.


* * * * *


Buffy walked into her house and Spike followed her inside. They were both greeted by Jenny when she heard the front door open. "Oh, you're back. How was studying?" She asked Buffy who just looked at Spike. He nodded and she took a deep breath and then turned her gaze back on Jenny. Buffy walked closer to Jenny and enveloped her in a hug. Jenny smiled and hugged the girl back and then she spoke.

"Thank you for everything." Buffy said and Jenny had tears in her eyes at the sound of the girl's voice, a voice she hasn't heard in years.

"You're welcome, sweetheart." Jenny told her as she continued to hug her. Jenny then looked at Spike with a look of awe on her face. "I don't know what you did, but thank you." She told him and he only nodded as he walked out of the house, leaving the two women alone to talk.