“Spike! Where the hell are you!” Buffy called out shifting about on the bed and giving her leg another tug to test the chain. How long did it take to grab a bag of fast food? Not that she really wanted to spend anymore “quality time” with the vampire, but she couldn’t talk him into letting her go if he wasn’t in the room.



“Can’t stand to be away from me for a minute, eh Slayer?” he teased coming back to the room with a white bag filled to capacity in his hand.



He gave her a mocking smile as he emptied the bag’s contents on the small table near the foot of the bed. She had never understood how Dawn could gorge herself of the DoubleMeat fair, but as the scent reached her nose, Buffy could feel her stomach lurch in response reminding her that she had missed her dinner that night.



“Actually, I’d prefer if it were more like a few years,” she shot back. “So, if you’d just unlock these chains…”



“Good try, Slayer,” he replied settling onto the chair next to the bed. “You know the deal. The chains stay on until we’ve had our little talk.”



“So let’s talk already! I can’t be wasting time here. Dawn’s at home, alone…”



“I told you, luv. That’s all taken care of,” Spike insisted. “The ‘bot will watch over the ‘Bit. She’ll be safe and sound. So why don’t you relax for a bit.”



“Relax?” Buffy laughed, her eyes rolling toward the cracked ceiling. “Here? With you?”



The vampire shrugged and gave her a playful grin. “Well, yeah. You’ve got yourself all twisted up in knots trying to take care of everyone else. Think you’ve earned a little time off. Unless, you find it hard to relax with me around?”



“That is so not funny!” she snapped continuing to study the ceiling with intense interest.



The way he looked down at her made it hard for her to just lie there. It made her feel like he could see right through her clothes, and the thought made her stomach tickle nervously. It was like her body had forgotten who it was sitting there leering at her, and it just added to her anger.



“Didn’t mean it to be,” he replied turning his attention back to the carton of french fries he held. “So, ready for dinner, pet?’



“I’m not hungry,” she pouted.



“Quit being stubborn,” he sighed holding the food a bit closer. The smell made her stomach do another flip-flop. “I could hear your stomach halfway across the room even without the vampire hearing. Accepting a little food isn’t going to hurt you.”



She eyed the fries warily. She didn’t want to accept anything from him, but her stomach had other ideas. Taking the food he offered wouldn’t mean anything. Besides, if she wanted to escape, she would have to keep her energy up.



“Fine,” she sighed, “but I can’t eat with my hands chained up.”



His blue eyes sparkled playfully as he considered her predicament. “Well, I suppose I’ll have to feed you then.”



“You have lost it!” Buffy groaned. “There is no way I’m…”



“Right then,” he replied popping one of the fries into his mouth. “I guess you’re not all that hungry after all. Shame to let them go to waste, and it would have been a step in proving that I could trust you enough to take off the chains—if my hand came back with all the fingers that is.”



God, he really was evil, chip or not! She closed her eyes as he popped another fry into his mouth.



“Fine,” she mumbled her eyes still closed. She just couldn’t stand the sight of his smug face when she gave in. “Would you just give me some already, and if you try anything I will kick your ass, chains or not!”



“Such a dirty little mind you have, Slayer!” he laughed holding a fry to her lips.



Buffy hesitated, the scent of the food tickling her nostrils. She could do this. She just had to pretend she was back at home, and this was Riley. She could even pretend that it was strawberries instead of greasy fast food. Slowly, she opened her mouth letting him place the food on her tongue. She shivered as his finger ran softly over her lower lip.



“Spike,” she warned still not brave enough to actually look at him as she forced herself to swallow.



“Something wrong, Buffy?”



His cool breath brushed over her mouth. When did he get so close? For that matter, when did it get so warm in the room? She lifted her heavy lids just a bit to find his intense blue eyes looking down into her own.



“Spike, I… I,” She couldn’t think straight with him this close. She didn’t want this, but her body seemed to have cut off communication with her brain. She sighed softly as his lips met hers. It was nothing like she had expected—not that she had ever spent any time fantasizing about kissing Spike! His lips moved over hers in a gentle caress that made her breath come quicker. It was actually rather…



God, what was she doing! Temporary insanity had set in, pure and simple. It had just been so long since she had been kissed. She had left herself get carried away.



“Spike!” Buffy cried turning her head roughly to the side. “Stop it! Get off of me!”



The vampire gazed down at the girl blankly as her words took a moment to sink in. Then he jerked back from the bed and stood glaring down at her.



“Bloody hell, Slayer!” he growled his chest heaving angrily. It was a habit of his she had noticed. As if when he was upset he forgot that breathing really wasn’t necessary. “What’s wrong now?”



“What’s wrong?” She glared up at him, her small hands curling into tight fists. She cursed the chains about her wrists. This was the portion of the conversation where she should be pummeling him. “This is wrong! You—you kissing me! That brings new meaning to wrong!”



Spike ran a hand through his hair causing the heavily gelled stands to turn into unruly curls over his forehead before he spoke as if trying to decide what he wanted to say. “It didn’t feel wrong to me…”



“It was, and you know it,” Buffy snapped.



“It wasn’t wrong,” Spike continued, “and you bloody well wanted it just as much as I did!”



“I…I did not!” She sounded like Dawn trying to argue her way out of a grounding. “I only kissed you because… because I was thinking about Riley!”



The look on his face was nearly as satisfying as if she had hit him. He just stood there frozen to the spot save for a small tick at the corner of his mouth. Just when she thought he’d given up on the argument, his lips curved into a smirk, and he cocked his eyebrow that way he always did when had something smart to say.



“So, soldier boy was into the kinky stuff, eh Slayer?” he teased. “Like to tie you down for a little of the rough tumble?”



“No!” she cried feeling her cheeks burning to a deep shade of scarlet. “He wouldn’t… We never… It’s none of your business what we did or didn’t do!”



“Struck a nerve, did we?” he laughed as he reached into his pocket.



Her eyes followed the path of his hand down to his jeans. Her cheeks flushing a deeper shade of red when she noticed the twinkle in his eyes when he saw where her eyes had drifted. She jerked away when he leaned over her and took her wrist into his grasp. Ignoring her reaction, he placed the key into the lock holding the chain in place.



“What are you doing?” she asked suddenly confused. Had she annoyed him enough to make him let her go?



“You said yourself,” he replied moving down to her ankles, “you can’t eat tied up.”



She sat up quickly once she was free. She watched him walk towards the door too shocked by his actions to make good on the beating that she had promised him when the chains had come off.



“Where are you going?”



He paused at the doorway, but didn’t bother to turn around. “I’m tired, pet—and don’t bother thinking about trying to do me in while I’m out. You still need my invitation to get out of here.”





TBC…