A/N: I apologize for not updating this in forever! My lazy brain simply refused to actually work with me. I hope you’re still interested in reading!







Buffy climbed the narrow stairs slowly. She was dreading what she was about to do, but her conscious wouldn’t let her turn around and return to the kitchen. She never thought she’d develop a guilty conscious when it came to Spike, but he had been right. He had looked out for Dawn, even helped her and the Scoobies. He had proven Tara was human when her family had tried to force her to leave Sunnydale. His method could have broken the girl’s nose, but it had worked, and he hadn’t had to do it. Granted, Spike was a huge pain in her ass, but like it or not he had tried to help, and he didn’t deserve her harsh words. Besides, harsh words weren’t going to get her out of the house. She couldn’t take the chance that he would get pissed off enough that he’d leave her trapped there.



She paused before the closed door of the vampire’s bedroom for a moment waiting for the Slayer side of her to finally speak up and remind her she really didn’t have to apologize to a demon, especially one holding her hostage. She waited patiently, but the little voice remained stubbornly silent. Taking a deep breath, she turned the doorknob and pushed the door open. The moment the Slayer entered the room, Spike jumped up from his seat at the writing desk, shoving the paper he had been scribbling on beneath a nearby book before turning to face her.



“Ever hear of knocking, Slayer?” he snapped. “This isn’t the crypt, or do you just barge into any soddin’ place where you’re not wanted?”



“Didn’t think you’d let me in,” she replied with a shrug. It wasn’t surprising that he was angry, but Buffy refused to let him get to her. She was going to have her say, and then she was out of there.



“Damned right!” he agreed with a dry laugh. “I’m a glutton for punishment when it comes to you, Slayer, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t had enough. So, why don’t you toddle off to your room? You can think of a few good insults. The evil monster bit is getting old, luv. I thought you were witty. Come up with a little more variety…”



“I’m sorry,” she broke in quietly.



“You’re what?” Spike’s eyes narrowed suspiciously as he crossed his arms over his chest.



“You heard me,” she replied, stubbornly refusing to repeat herself. It had been hard enough to say it the first time. “You were right, okay? You have been a help lately, and I was wrong to put you down.”



“So that’s it?” he sighed. There was a hint of sarcasm in his voice as he crossed the small room.



Buffy raised her chin to gaze up at him. Having him so close make every nerve ending in her body spark into life, but she refused to back away. She wasn’t going to let him know that he affected her in anyway. “That’s it,” she agreed with a shrug. “I said it. What more do you want? A parade?”



His lips curled into a playful smirk. “Nothing so grand, luv. We’re not in grade school. ‘I’m sorry’ doesn’t make everything better. I need some proof of your sincerity.”



“And what exactly would that be?’ she asked dreading what might be running through his twisted mind.



“A kiss might do the trick,” he suggested. “Not a peck on the check like you would give Niblet when you’re tucking her into beddy-by.”



“You’ve got to be kidding!” she growled. Her heart sped up a few beats as she glared up at the vampire. She should have known he would take advantage of the situation.



“I’m not asking that much, Slayer,” he pushed.



“You’re asking a hell of a lot! I said I was wrong, and I apologized. Take it or leave it!”



Buffy expected him to back away, start ranting about how stubborn she was, but he just stood there gazing down at her. She fought hard to control her reaction to his closeness. Even if he weren’t a vampire, he had to know how he was affecting her.



“That’s how it always is, eh Slayer?’ he replied softly as he reached up to twirl a strand of her long, blond hair between his fingertips. “I bet if Soldier Boy asked for a make up kiss, he’d gotten it, even after letting that vamp bitch suck on him. Probably that, and a little bit more. Let the Big Bad ask for one little kiss, and it’s…”



“Would you just shut up already!” she growled leaning up on her toes to press her lips firmly against his before he could finish his tirade. She felt a flicker of satisfaction feeling Spike’s lips tense beneath hers, obviously surprised by the Slayer’s actions. The satisfaction didn’t last long, as Spike’s momentary paralysis wore off, and he leaned in to return her kiss. She sighed as the tip of his tongue grazed over her lower lip. Her fingers traced over his stomach through the thin cotton of his t-shirt. Vaguely, she wondered when her hands had left her sides and traveled to their present location. She had kissed him only meaning to shut him up, to prove his accusation wrong.



“Spike, I…” she sighed feeling his hands skimming lightly over her sides. His fingertips grazed the underside of her breast, and her own hands balled up tiny fistfuls of black material in response as she gave him a hard push. “I can’t!”



“Bloody hell!” he mumbled stumbling back a few steps before regaining his balance. “You seemed to be doing fine for someone who can’t. You started it after all!”



“I know,” Buffy replied staring at the wall just over is shoulder unable to look him in the eye. “And I shouldn’t have. I can’t be here making out with a… with you. Not when Dawn and Mom are at home with no one to protect them.”



“I told you that’s taken care of,” he insisted. “I’d never put them in danger.”



“And when Glory figures out it’s not really me?” she asked.



“That won’t happen.”



“You can’t be sure of that. We still don’t know everything she’s capable of,” Buffy pointed out. She had to make him see she couldn’t stay there. She was the Slayer, and unfortunately, the job didn’t come with vacation time. “What happens when her batteries run down? What if it happens in the middle of a fight with Glory? Don’t you think that might just tip her off?’



“That won’t happen,” Spike pleaded. ‘D… I made arrangements. The ‘Bot will get recharged every night. Would it make you feel better if I check in on your mum and the Bit when the sun goes down?”



“It would make me feel better if I could check in on the them,” she snapped shooting him an icy glare.



“And that’s not going to happen—not yet, anyway,” he replied stubbornly. “You’ll just have to trust me.”





TBC…