Author's Chapter Notes:
Author's note: A big thank you to my friend Mariana for the beta!!! I know you had a hard time with this chapter, but the outcome is more than worth the wait.
The Favourite
by Charlie
Synopsis: AU. When Buffy is on her way to a vacation with Joyce and Dawn, their plane is hijacked, and Buffy is taken hostage. She ends up in a very foreign, Arabian Nights-like country and is sold into slavery. Guess who buys her...
Disclaimer: This story is based on ideas from the French novel "La Nuit du Sérail" by Michel de Grèce. No copyright infringement intended. The names and places are entirely ficticious and do not refer to any real countries, political or social situations, religious or ideological beliefs. The language spoken in the ficticious country is based on several different Arabic languages.
Rating: NC-17. Seriously. The story begins with the hijacking of a plane. There is violence, humiliation and other adult content. Please go elsewhere if you're underage or sensitive to this kind of material.
Chapter 3
Unveiled

Anyanka did not return to the serail until noon the next day. As Faith had predicted, her hair was messed up, her clothes crumpled, but nothing could wipe up the satisfied grin from Anyanka's face for the whole day.
"What else do you girls do in here all day, apart from all this prettiness routine?" Buffy asked Willow, after spending several hours of beauty care, wellness and doing a little gymnastics.
Willow shrugged. "That’s our fun essentially. But we can take a walk in the sun if you’d like, it’ll give me a chance to show you the gardens. But don't forget your veil. You know, if another man sees you without it, he'll lose his head - literally!"
Buffy took her veil, this time blue, as her dress. Apart from her face, the long silk veil also hid everything else the dress revealed, so Buffy welcomed the obligation to wear a veil outside the harem.
She followed Willow down the marble staircase into the gardens. They were greeted by guards and servants and treated, Buffy secretly had to admit, with utmost respect.
"Bahramaj!" a small voice called behind them.
Willow and Buffy turned around. Willow smiled and waved at him.
"Hey there," she said softly, still smiling.
Buffy saw a boy standing near the fountain in the garden, holding a rose. He was about six years old. His golden hair and bright blue eyes, which were slightly covered by the cutest of eyeglasses, left no doubt whose son he was.
"Buffy, I'd like you to meet Khari junior," Willow said, only confirming Buffy's assumption.
Buffy stared at her.
Willow giggled. "No, it’s not what you think! He's Dru's son." She lowered her voice. "Poor child." Quickly, she turned her head readdressing him, "How's school?" Willow beamed at him.
The boy made a sad little face, lowering his eyes. "I don't like the new English teacher," he said, "He only brings stupid books no one wants to read."
"And what did he make you read that was so awful?" Willow asked curiously.
"I don’t remember the title but it’s about a girl that is separated from her sister, then follows a white rabbit, falls into a hole and gets trapped in a strange country where everything's weird and people do funny things and everyone acts like she's the lunatic, but she's the only sane person, and,…and, whenever she makes a mistake, someone shouts 'Off with the head!'," Khari told them in one long breath, "A bit far-fetched, if you ask me."
Buffy shrugged. "I wouldn’t know." Wondering if the tale really was as unbelievable as he thought, because for all she knew, they would be calling her Alice soon enough.
"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," Willow said enthusiastically, "If you’d like, we can read it together! Buffy, wouldn't that be fun?"
Khari junior looked at Buffy. "You're Buffy."
Buffy blinked. "Yeah. So?"
"My dad talks about you."
Buffy tried to look disinterested. "Does he, now?"
Khari junior nodded. "He says you don't like him."
"Damn right!" Buffy exclaimed and was immediately punished by an elbow and a reproachful look from Willow.
The boy's blue eyes were full of questions. "Why?"
Buffy looked at him helplessly. How was she supposed to explain her situation to an innocent child? "He's not nice... he's mean to me," she said lamely.
Khari shrugged. "He likes you. Why do you think he's mean?"
Buffy sighed. "He doesn't let me phone my mom."
"Oh." Khari's face lit up, and he added timidly. "I have a phone in my room, m-m-maybe y-y-you could use it, and then you'd like my dad better?"
Buffy smiled, her heart beating wildly, while trying not to show how excited his naïve request made her. "That'd be nice," she said.
Willow put a hand on her shoulder. "Buffy, please," she said uneasily, "We're not allowed into that part of the palace, and for a good reason!"
Buffy ignored her and took Khari junior's hand. "Would you like to show me where your room is?"
He beamed. "Sure!"
Suddenly, Willow pushed her elbow into Buffy's ribcage and gestured at the balcony above them, where Dru had appeared.
"Honey, don't you have homework to do?" she asked in a cold voice.
Khari junior hung his head, letting go of Buffy’s hand, as it fell limply to his side. "Yes, Ma'am."
"Go to your room. I'm sure Buffy and Willow are very busy, so let us not disturb them. You have an hour. Then I'll come upstairs and check what you’ve accomplished." Drusilla waited until Khari had waved good-bye to the girls and had gone inside, to give one last dirty look to them. Then, just like she had appeared, she withdrew.
"Bitch," Willow whispered.
Buffy nodded absently. So there were telephones at the palace after all. If she played her cards right, she might get a hold on one. But that would probably require some compromise.
*
It was no surprise to Buffy that, yet again, she was amongst the chosen five the sheik asked to see - this time, with Willow, Fred, a green-eyed blonde called Amy and a girl with dark skin and a lovely accent, Kendra - and that, once again, his hand pointed straight at her.
Buffy strolled into his bedroom very casually, when she heard voices. She remained discreetly at the door in order to assess the situation, when she saw Spike and Khari junior bent over a blue exercise book with clumsy drawings of a thunderstorm.
"It is just two layers of air, with different temperatures, one hot, one cold," she heard Spike say. "So, when the two meet, there's trouble. See?"
Khari junior nodded. "Like you and Buffy."
Spike smiled at his son. "You're very clever for your age." He handed Khari's exercise book back to him. "And now you'd better go to bed, it's late."
"Night, dad."
"Good night."
Involuntarily, Buffy had to smile as she was watching the two of them. Khari stopped when he saw Buffy. "Night, Aunt Buffy," he said.
Buffy bent down to him. "Sweet dreams," she said and brushed over his hair with her hand.
Khari kissed her cheek and left, closing the door behind him.
Spike sat down on the diwan. "Can I kiss you, too?" he asked with a smirk.
"Nope," Buffy said curtly.
"Ah, of course, it's because I'm not nice, because I'm mean," he replied ironically.
"He's just a child," Buffy answered, "What was I supposed to say, that I don't like his father because he treats women like objects?"
Spike frowned. "Is that your impression?"
Buffy lifted her chin. "Oh, yes."
"Come here," he told her.
For a moment, Buffy considered refusing, but she thought the better of it. If she wanted a chance to get access to Khari junior's room, she would need at least a truce with his father. Being locked up in the serail while having all her privileges, like, for instance, moving freely within the premises, taken away, was the last thing she wanted right now, especially when she was so close to get what she wanted. So she obeyed.
"I like your dress," Spike told her.
Buffy had to admit she preferred the dark blue one to the pink version; it was darker, heavier and more richly decorated with gold and pearls, so she no longer felt as exposed as she did when she wore the pink one. She bowed her head. "Thanks."
"Take it off."
Buffy stared at him.
"You said that I treat women like objects, so you shouldn't be surprised at my request," he said dryly. "So, what are you waiting for? Take. It. Off". He added with a slight menacing tone.
Buffy did her best not to look scared or worried, but she failed. "You promised..." she began.
"What I said still goes," Spike replied, sounding almost bored, "But as a customer, I have the reserving right to take a closer look at the... bits and pieces I purchase. Now take off your dress. And don’t make me repeat myself once again, because, mmmm, let’s say, you wouldn’t be pleased with the consequences."
Buffy hesitated. The room was brightly lit, he would be in an excellent position to see every detail of her body if she took off her dress. Her hands were shaking badly while she was taking off her veil and undoing the buttons of her dress. He was watching her every move, his eyes fixed on her body. Her nipples showed through the silk, he did not take his eyes off of her as if afraid to lose every single detail; while anticipating to see her naked within the next moment.
Buffy suddenly froze in the movement as she became aware of his wolfish smile. She crossed her arms in front of her body. Compromise, yes. Surrender, no. "I said you can't treat me like an object, so you shouldn't be surprised I'm not gonna favor you with it. I'll show you mine if you show me yours."
She expected him to send her away as he had done the night before.
He was not as predictable as she once thought.
Spike rose, his eyes flashing.
For a moment, Buffy feared she had upset him enough to punish her this time.
Then he unfastened his blue dressing gown and let it drop to the floor.
Buffy held her breath.
His figure was more athletic than she would have suspected. Collarbones as sharp as his cheekbones, strong arms, the perfect amount of muscle wherever she looked, and smooth, pale skin shining like a Greek statue in the moonlight.
If he noticed her admiration, he did not comment on it.
She stood there and drew in his sight like some particularly impressive artwork.
Only when he spoke her name, she was released from the enchantment. 'Keep focused, Buffy!! Stop ogling his awesome, sexy body – No, no!! bad, bad Buffy. He’s just a mean man, so please, just, stop staring!!' Buffy pleaded with herself in an internal battle, while trying to regain some composure. She blushed as she remembered what she was supposed to do.
Her dress fell to the ground.
The journey through the blazing hot sun of the desert had left her skin tanned and made a beautiful contrast with her blond hair. He noticed with a frown that, as a matter of fact, it was all the hair she had left.
When Buffy noticed his gaze, she turned away, blushing, oh god, once again. "That was so not my idea!"
"Foam?" Spike asked with a hopeful tone.
"Wax," she replied quietly.
"Ouch."
"Yeah, very ouch."
Spike did not remain where he was, he walked around her in a circle.
Buffy felt exposed to his eyes, but at the same time it aroused her to be watched that closely by a handsome, naked man who obviously desired her so.
He walked behind and around her, moving his gaze along her neck and down to her shoulders, tracing her spine with his eyes, taking in the scent of her. Buffy felt adored, worshipped. This was ridiculous. He could fool the others, but not her, no siree, no!! She would not fall for those innocent yet devilish blue eyes, the affection denoted in his voice when he talked to his son, his witty responses in their verbal dueling, his adorable backside, his strong arms, his long hard... Making an internal resolve, and be damned the consequences, Buffy turned around and pulled him close, kissing him hard.
Spike chuckled into her mouth and held her at a short distance. "Easy," he said in a velvety voice and gestured at the diwan. "Would you lie down for a minute, please?"
Buffy sank down on the diwan, saw him towering above her and closed her eyes.
She heard him kneel down at the foot of the diwan.
It took Spike an enormous effort of will to take his time to watch her lying there, with her lips parted, her bosom heaving with small aroused intakes of air, her legs spread, moisture glistening on her thighs.
Buffy felt the wetness between her legs, which was an undisputable signal of her arousal. When Spike did not touch her, she opened her eyes.
He was still at the foot of the diwan, gazing at her.
Buffy licked her lips nervously. "Like what you see?"
"How about you?"
Buffy smiled. "Thought you wanted a good-night kiss as well."
Spike looked at her with hungry eyes as if he was to make a feral move on her at any second. Then, as if unfazed by the fact that he had a beautiful, naked, and more importantly, willing woman in front of him, he rose. "I'm not Khari, no need to kiss me good-night." He grabbed his dressing gown and covered himself, and then dejectedly, he tossed at Buffy her dress. "I've seen what I wanted to see. Close the door on your way out."
Buffy looked at him in disappointment, not fully understanding what had occurred just then. She rose from the diwan, still naked, and took a step in his direction. "I thought you might be in for more," she said boldly.
Spike smiled at her apologetically. "Y'know, Buffy, I'm afraid you're treating me like an object." He sighed. "Want, take, have --- sorry, I'm not that kind of man."
Buffy glared at him. "Alright," she growled, "I had a weak moment, I hope you’ve enjoyed it, cos that's all you’re ever gonna get from me!" She made to storm from the bedroom.
He grinned. "Buffy, could you tell Willow I would like to see her?"
She stared at him. "You're not being serious!"
He tilted his head, while raising his left eyebrow. "Jealous?"
"In your dreams!" Buffy snorted. "I'll send her in."
"Oh, and, Buffy?"
Her eyes flashed angrily. "Yes?"
"Save her some breakfast. And some lunch, maybe."
She tilted her head. "Sorry to break it to you, but you can never last that long."
He shrugged. "Too bad you won't be here to find out."
"Yeah. Too bad," Buffy said sarcastically and fled to the security of the serail.
She tried to sound indifferent when she told Willow about Spike's request to see her.
Tara looked crestfallen.
Willow looked surprised, almost scared. "Me? Are you sure?"
Buffy nodded.
Willow glanced at Tara. "Sorry, this is so sudden... it's been a long time... Well, see you in the morning, huh?"
Tara gave her a watery smile.
Willow squeezed her hand and hurried out.
Buffy watched her go. If Tara and Willow were just friends, she was Winnie the Pooh.
"Don't tell me nothing happened!" Faith exclaimed in what sounded much like frustration, "What is wrong with you?"
Buffy could not bring herself to admit that Spike had been playing her and held her head high. "You know what I think about your ways."
Faith grabbed a fruit and lay back into the pillows, sinking her teeth into the soft flesh, "Because you don't know our ways," she said, sucking the juice of the fruit, and gestured at the door. "You know what's going to happen in his bedroom? First, he'll sit down with Willow and talk to her. He'll casually run his fingers through her hair, touch her hand, ask her what she's been up to, locking his gaze with hers."
"I don't wanna hear it," Buffy refused.
Faith ran her tongue over the fruit, licking up some more juice. "Then he leans over the table, slowly approaching her, kisses her neck, her shoulders, her ears. His lips brush hers, like accidentally, tentatively, exploring, maybe like a woman would kiss... till she kisses him back." Faith began to squirm where she sat. "Then he'll slowly undress her, he feels her tits under his hands and works them till her nipples are so hard and sensitive she feels his lightest touch..."
"Faith..." Tara said, very quietly, but with an edge to her voice.
Faith ignored her. "I can see them, they're naked, both of them, she spreads her legs for him, his head is between her thighs, his tongue circles her clit because that is precisely what Willow wants, she's not much for the act, for the rough and tumble, she wants him down there, driving her crazy with his tongue, she screams, she grabs the sheets with her hands when she comes, then he uses his index finger on her, and Willow comes harder..."
Tara jumped up and ran from the room, tears streaming down her face.
Buffy shook her head in disbelief. "Faith, you're a..."
Faith kept talking. "He knows what he's doing, and he’ll do it all night long... He drives his tongue in and out of her folds, while his fingertips keep toying her clit, mercilessly, until Willow's hoarse with screaming, her wetness is all over his face, and then he kisses her so she gets a taste of herself on his lips, and Willow no longer cares if her lay's a man or a woman, as long as she gets her lust completely and utterly sated." Faith took a deep breath and sank back into the pile of pillows behind her. "Oh, God, I need a cold shower!"
Buffy was disgusted with Faith, but she also needed a cold shower.
*
The images Faith had conjured up in her head kept haunting Buffy all night. She heard Tara's soft breathing next to her and could tell the calm girl was not getting any sleep either. She pitied her because she imagined what Tara had to be going through, not knowing what Willow was doing with Spike, or rather, knowing it all too well because he was her lover, too. She had to be burning in jealousy. Buffy hated to admit how jealous she, herself, was, how much she was longing to be in Willow’s place. With Angel, she had been too young to dare to try the things Faith had suggested, and Riley had always claimed he could not breathe when he was going down on her. What was she thinking? Getting back to reality was like a slap in the face, for Spike still was her kidnapper, and, what was worse, he had humiliated her, rejected her as a woman, the worst offense anyone could do, because it was such a sensitive, intimate part of her soul, and to top it all off, he had dared to make fun of her. Next to her, she heard Tara cry herself to sleep and her heart went to her.
*
It was well past midday when Willow returned to the harem. Buffy had indeed saved her some food, but Willow insisted she was too tired to eat and preferred to lie down. Tara followed her like a shadow, bringing a nightgown and making her comfortable. Willow smiled at her gratefully before she drifted off to sleep.
Buffy asked Tara if she cared for a walk in the gardens, but since Tara meant to stay in - just in case Willow woke up and needed anything -, Buffy went outside alone.
She was delighted when she spotted Khari junior under a tree, again busy with his homework, his nose buried deeply in a book.
"Need some help?" Buffy asked casually.
He looked up at her and grinned. "Buffy," he said, "Where's Willow?"
Buffy felt the heat rise in her face. "Upstairs," she replied, "She's tired."
He frowned. "Now? Why?"
Determined to change such a dangerously NC-17 subject to unscathed ears, Buffy settled down in the shade with him. "Still reading Alice?"
"Yeah," Khari sighed, "My teacher wants me to draw a picture of my favourite scene in the book, but I can't think of any! What's your favourite?"
Buffy thought for a moment, then replied: "When Alice opposes the evil Queen!"
Khari nodded eagerly and began to sketch two women. He searched his pencils, then sighed. "Can't find a red one. Have to go upstairs, I got more colours on my desk."
Buffy jumped to her feet. "Why don't you just stay out here in the sun, and I'll go get your pencils for you?"
"If you like," Khari agreed, "You go in through the main door, then two flights of stairs to the left, down the corridor and turn right first chance you get. My room is the one with the golden ornaments. The pencils are in the top drawer."
"Got it."
Buffy strolled past the guards very slowly, her heartbeat racing. Khari had a telephone in his room. If she could make it there, she would be home in no time. The trouble was how to make it there - the women of the harem were not allowed into the children's bedrooms except under the observation of one of the guards or the eunuchs. The first flight of steps was unguarded, but Buffy knew there were bound to be at least two guards near the room of the sheik's firstborn child. What she needed was a diversion.
She rearranged her veil and ran up the second flight of stairs. Showtime!
The first guard was about to tell her she was not allowed into this part of the palace when Buffy shouted: "The sheik's son slipped and fell out in the garden, he's bleeding! Get some help!"
The guards exchanged a few words, then the first guard raced down the stairs towards the direction Buffy had indicated.
But the second guard remained in place. And Buffy hardly had the time to get rid of him. His colleague would soon see that she had been lying.
So Buffy held her hand to her forehead. "All the blood," she exclaimed and swayed, "I don't feel well!" She sank down on the stairs and closed her eyes.
The guard was by her side in a second. He felt her pulse, but Buffy pretended to be unconscious. Assuming she had hit her head, the guard took down the stairs as well.
With him out of sight, Buffy followed the corridor and found that the door to Khari's bedroom was guarded by a single bodyguard, who was standing by the door. At the other side of the door, a heavy vase caught Buffy's eye. Now or never.
She walked up to the door.
"Women are not allowed here," the guard said sternly, "Go back."
Buffy hesitated only for a moment, then took off her veil.
The guard shrank back and turned from her, knowing if he saw her unveiled, he would be sentenced to death. Buffy grabbed the vase and smashed it on his head. The vase broke into a thousand pieces, the guard went down, unconscious.
"Sorry," Buffy said with regret and burst into the room.
Her heartbeat almost stopped.
On the mahogany desk, there was a very authentic-looking and very stylish... toy telephone.
Despair washed over Buffy. She burst into tears.
Suddenly, there were loud steps behind her.
"That vase was worth twenty million US dollars," Spike informed her.
Buffy -- make up smudged from her tears -- stared at him in terror.
TBC...