Author's Chapter Notes:
My thanks to everyone that's reviewed so far, because reviews make the world go round. . . or well, they make the writer happy. Making the writer happy makes more words written faster. More words written make the chapter updates more frequent. . . . see what I'm getting at? *blows kisses to every reviewer*
[A/N: I’m having so much fun writing this story. I just. . . Well, what started out as sort of PWP morphed quickly into something else. I’m still gonna have to write one of those, since I promised a couple of people I would, but I refuse to have more than two stories going at a time. I just can’t possibly do it. My hat’s off completely to those writers who seem to be able to do it effortlessly (okay, maybe not effortlessly – but at least easier than I can) and manage to keep all the plot lines from getting hopelessly entangled. I’m ever so jealous. Anyway. . . . without further ado, and mindless babble from yours truly, here’s the next chapter of this one. Title is from Depeche Mode (one of my all time favorite bands) from the album Music for the Masses (the song is Behind the Wheel)and the quote is just the song lyrics, so they belong to the boys, not me. But they kind of sum up how Will thinks of Buffy, at least some times. *grins* Disclaimers are in full force and effect.]

Fifteenth: Hands of fate

My little girl
Drive anywhere
Do what you want
I don't care
Tonight I'm in the hands of fate
I hand myself
Over on a plate
Now
Oh little girl
There are times when I feel
I rather not be
The one behind the wheel
Come
Pull my strings
Watch me move
I do anything
Please
Sweet little girl
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
Drive
I'm yours to keep
Do what you want
I'm going cheap
Tonight
You're behind the wheel, tonight



First her mother called and then Sara Logan’s boyfriend called him, and now she was on the phone again, this time with Willow. He was beginning to hate cell phones. Really. Truly. With a passion that bordered on. . . . Will ran a hand through his already tousled curls and eyed his underage girlfriend. A smile curled his lips despite his frustration as he watched her try to talk on the cell to her best friend.

She really was adorable. And her blush was enough to drive him crazy with want.

Buffy was currently sitting on his desk, talking animatedly to Willow, while he watched her. She was twirling a piece of hair in her fingers, her eyes avoiding his, but she was very aware of his eyes on her, because the blush never left her skin.

It was crazy and he knew it.

They were taking a huge risk, meeting in his classroom, after hours. He had no idea why his mouth had said that earlier and he really was going to have to watch every last thing he said, because he had absolutely no self control around her. His brain shut down and his body just did exactly what it thought was best. Which wasn’t always a good thing. He got, not so much tongue-tied, but he just didn’t always say the best thing or the most responsible thing either. And he knew he had to be the smart one. Knew he should be telling her that they had to stop, he just couldn’t get his mouth to cooperate.

He wasn’t listening to her conversation, didn’t want to know any of the teenaged things she might be planning on doing, because it would only reinforce what he already knew. There was a world of difference between them, a world of experience. He sometimes felt so old watching her; far older than the ten years separating them, especially when she was sitting in his classroom or walking in the halls with her friends. But when they were alone, just the two of them, all the rules went out the window – all the doubts and those differences were no longer of any importance.

Will was staring at her again, his eyes on her legs where her ankles crossed, watching the smooth play of muscles as she swung her feet. The taste of her was still strong in his mouth, on the roof and rolling over his tongue. Will was determined not to forget it, the salty sweetness of her and he brought his fingers to his mouth, in an effort to fix her taste in his memory. He never heard her end the conversation, nor did he realize she had turned off her phone until she lightly jumped down from his desk. Her face was flaming red again and she couldn’t look him in the eye.

“Will?” She lifted her eyes, focusing on his lips. “Are you mad at me?”

“No. What makes you think that?” He was mystified, because he’d been patient for the entire length of the call, not even distracting her as he wanted too.

“Because you’re frowning and you’ve got,” she shrugged, uncertain about his mood. “I dunno. I just thought you’d be mad at me.” Buffy risked a glance up at his eyes and was surprised to see affection and something else she couldn’t identify swirling in the depths. “I’m never sure around you.”

“Why’s that kitten?” He was intrigued and yeah, he’d been aggravated at first, but really, oral sex in the classroom, not something he should be engaging in, no matter how badly he wanted her. Will reached out, snagging her tiny hand in his, meshing his fingers with hers.

She seemed to relax the second his hand touched hers. “I can’t talk . . . I’m all. . . “ she sighed, trying to make him understand how she felt whenever he was around or even when she just thought about him. Taking a deep breath, Buffy just blurted it all out. “See, I’ve got these butterflies. . . and they sort of like you and every time I think about you or talk to you they sort of fly around and make me get all fluttery too. And I know that doesn’t make any sense and I can’t explain it and. . . ”

The instant she started talking, he pulled her closer, wrapping his arms around her, holding her against his chest. But that wasn’t enough. He needed more. Will picked her up, his hands sliding underneath her skirt, palming her bare skin, pressing her hard against his renewed erection. His mouth cut off her words and she melted into him, her curves soft against his hard planes.

Her legs wrapped around his waist, the skirt riding up as he held her tight. “Buffy. . . oh god. . . “

He was just about to slide his fingers into her warmth when his cell phone vibrated at his hip and the handle to his classroom rattled. His uncle’s voice sounded in the hallway outside his door and they both froze. Buffy pulled away, panic clearly on her face, and Will held his hand over her mouth gently when she tried to speak. Will pulled her close into his arms, his mouth against her ear. “Shhh. Its okay, he’ll leave after a moment. I locked the door, remember?”

Buffy nodded against his chest, and she could hear their hearts thundering in a syncopated beat. This was crazy. They shouldn’t be doing this at all. Not here anyway.

Giles went away after a few moments, though neither of them moved for long minutes. Buffy pulled away from him, wiping tears from her eyes. “I . . have to . . I can’t do this. Not now. “

Grabbing her bag, Buffy headed straight for the door, fighting with the lock to get it opened. Will stared at her for a moment, then shot to her side. “Buffy. . . Buffy. Stop. Sweetheart, c’mon, stop.”

She was hyperventilating, unable to get a clear breath and hiccups sounded in the still air. Her fingers were scrabbling for the lock and when he touched her, Buffy collapsed against him. “Will? I’m scared. I can’t. . . . I’m scared about everything.”

“I know, baby. I know.” He held onto her, his own panic receding in the face of hers. “It’s gonna be okay, I swear it. Shhhh. . . c’mon baby, don’t cry.”

“How am I supposed to do this? I . . . the baby and Riley, that dumbass and. . . now you and. . . Mom and what Dad said and. . . “ All the fear she had came tumbling out of her, the floodgates opened by the scare they’d just lived through and Buffy couldn’t stem the tide. He was the only one who listened and didn’t make a judgment, who just let her cry or laugh or just be. Everyone else looked at her like she was an alien or something. Even Willow looked at her funny some times. And she hated it. Hated being different. Hated all the changes that had happened before she even had a chance to get used to them. She wasn’t ready for all of this – being a mom – at least not on her own.

The only time she didn’t feel alone was when she was with him.

He didn’t treat her any differently, except for the touching, but . . . Buffy looked up into his concerned blue eyes and broke down again. Will picked her up, cradling her against his chest, his voice murmuring low against her cheek. They were nonsense words, just noises really, but it didn’t matter. It was his voice, his arms holding her and Buffy knew there was nothing better than this. She was safe with him.

The tears stopped almost as quickly as they came and Will smiled when she swiped her nose on his shirt. “I’m so sorry.”

“Hey kitten, it’s okay, really. You can do that anytime.” He half smiled down at her, wiping away the mascara stained tears from her cheeks.

“Panic? Nope. Don’t think I wanna do that anymore.” Pushing away and out of his arms, Buffy stood in front of him, leaning into his chest. Taking a deep breath she looked at him. “This isn’t a good idea.”

He sighed, then kissed her before she could say anything further. “I know sweetheart. We shouldn’t. Its wrong. And I’m years older than you. But Buffy,” he looked down into her eyes, his hands cupping her face, “I don’t care. I don’t want to let you go.”

“I don’t want to let you go either. But meeting here is crazy.” Her voice was a soft breath over his skin and Will leaned down to kiss her again.

“So we don’t do this here. Ever.” He kissed her once more, and any resistance she might have been able to muster melted under his insistence. “Okay? Not here.”

Buffy slid her arms around his waist, her face pressed against his chest, just over his heart. “Okay.”


**********************************************************************************


They waited a full half hour before venturing from the classroom. His cell phone had gone off again, and this time, in an effort to keep his hands from wandering over her yet again, Will answered it. It was Sara Logan, wanting to touch base with him about a couple of things that she kept forgetting to mention, including how to get around certain restrictions for the trip to Los Angeles. They were the only two senior English Lit teachers who were going on the trip and both were trying to avoid sharing a room with their colleagues. Sara was trying to get the Will to agree to sharing a room with her boyfriend and then they would switch, after all the “children” were tucked away in their beds.

Buffy watched him while he talked, almost the same way he had watched her earlier, while she’d been chatting with Willow. He never sat still. Or rarely anyway. He was up now, pacing the room again, the phone to his ear, gesturing one handed. Buffy’s eyes were riveted on his forearm, watching the play of muscles as he moved it around. He really was. . . he was deceptive. Will didn’t look all that imposing or tall, but he had an indefinable something that drew everyone’s eyes – and not just women. She’d seen the way guys reacted around him, the way the smarter students responded, the way he was able to connect with almost everyone around him. He made it seem so easy. Even Snyder, that worm of a principal, backed off from him. Only Mr. Giles didn’t seem to be all that affected, but now that Buffy knew the truth about their relationship, something they’d managed to keep a closely guarded secret, it made perfect sense that Giles wasn’t afraid of him.

He was strong, she knew that much. Though they didn’t talk about, she sort of knew what had happened that day Xander and Riley had fought. At least she knew what Xander had told her about what happened. Will had pretty much cold-cocked Riley, nearly knocking him out, without even breaking a sweat. Pretty impressive considering Riley was a couple of inches taller and probably had him by a few pounds. But watching the play of his muscles under his skin, Buffy didn’t think height and weight were all that important when it came to power. She had a feeling that Will could more than take care of things if it was important.

She was so caught up in watching him move around that she didn’t hear him end the phone call. Perched on the edge of his desk, her mind just contemplating the man in front of her Buffy had a wistful smile on her face that drew his attention.

“What’s on your mind kitten?” His voice startled her and Buffy blushed again at being caught daydreaming.

“Nothing. Just. . . . watching you.” She ducked her head so that he couldn’t see the tell-tale blush on her cheeks.

Will tilted his head, a grin on his face. “Like what you see?” He sauntered closer to her, almost prowling. “Well?”

“Oh god.” She breathed out, her eyes big and wide in her face, staring at him. He’s sooo damn hot. “You are such a hottie.”

He spluttered out a laugh at her artless exclamation. “Me?”

She shook her head, wondering at his reaction to her statement.

“Not me sweetheart.”

Grinning back at him she quipped, “oh yeah you, and you know it.”

He’d reached for her then, his arms automatically sliding around her, his voice a low growl in her ear. “Yeah baby, that’s me. All bad.”


**********************************************************************************



“I’m sorry Miss Summers, but I cannot allow you to go on this trip. Your circumstances dictate that.” Buffy sat in Principal Snyder’s office, while the little man denied her request to go on the senior trip to Los Angeles.

“My circumstances? What are you talking about?” Buffy was afraid of this, that people were going to start treating her very differently, but she’d never expected this reaction.

“Really Miss Summers, don’t play stupid with me. The entire school knows, the administration knows and the school board knows. Your pregnancy, Miss Summers, has forced the administration to make adjustments for you. I don’t like making adjustments for students. I don’t like letting students have the upper hand, especially ones without a future. You, Miss Summers, are going nowhere.”

Snyder had a sadistic nasty little smirk on his face as he delivered this pronouncement to her, uncaring of the fragile emotional state of the girl in front of him.

“There will be no more adjustments Miss Summers. No excuses for lateness or absences and everything will count. And you will not be going with the seniors to Los Angeles.”

She started to protest and Snyder’s smile just got wider, the gleam in his eyes positively malicious. “No Miss Summers, there is no recourse.” He got up, moving to the door of his office. “Have a good day.”

And she had no choice but to leave.


**********************************************************************************



Willow was practically bouncing in her seat, excited about going to Los Angeles to see a play and Buffy tried hiding her disappointment and her upset from her friend and it was, amazingly working. The redhead was enthusiastic enough for both of them.

But the tears were just below the surface and Buffy knew if she saw Will in this state, she’d just start blubbering. It was easy to let go whenever he was around. He didn’t expect her to be stoic and strong, didn’t expect anything from her. She wanted to curl up in his arms and just. . . Just be.

She couldn’t though, because it was daylight and a school day. Thankfully, though, it was Wednesday and they were going to see each other. It was two weeks since the near disaster in his classroom and aside from classes, they’d only had a brief handful of moments, most of them spent kissing.

The bell rang for class and Buffy suddenly realized she couldn’t sit in his classroom at all. Mumbling some excuse to Willow about not feeling good, Buffy fled in the opposite direction from his class.


**********************************************************************************



His life was reduced to counting hours between meetings. It was insanity, it was completely crazy, what he was doing and he knew it. Every time he touched her, Will put himself in danger of, at a minimum, losing his job. And yet he couldn’t stop.

They were reduced to meeting in the one place they knew no one would even think to look. In Restfield Cemetery. Will thought it ironic that the one place he felt really alive was the place housing hundreds of dead people – the cemetery – whenever she was near. And as much as it killed him, he refused to let anything other than kissing happen. And it was killing him. He walked around with a damn near perpetual erection and no matter how many times he took himself in hand, it was right back the minute he thought of her, which seemed to happen all the time.

Will didn’t fool himself though, he new that the situation wasn’t going to last, he wanted her too badly, needed to touch her.

He was pacing the length of his classroom, waiting for his sixth period class to finish filtering in and when Willow came in alone, Will knew something was up, something not good. If Buffy wasn’t with her, since the girls were almost inseparable during school hours, there was definitely something wrong. Especially if she didn’t come to his class. He knew it was the only place in the building that she felt one hundred percent safe and that was because it was his room. But he couldn’t make a big deal of her absence, even if it worried him out of his mind. He had to shrug it off and play it nonchalantly. But inside he was worried.

Calling the class to order, Will focused on his lesson plan and tried pushing her absence out of his mind.


**********************************************************************************



The house was empty again. Her mom was gone. She’d left this morning for South America, Brazil she thought, on a buying trip. She wouldn’t be home until the sixteenth and today was only the eighth. Will would be leaving on the same day her mother returned and wouldn’t be back until the nineteenth, the last day of classes before the Christmas break.

Buffy put her books down on her desk and laid down on her bed. That was when the tears started. She’d really wanted to go on the trip, wanted the opportunity to do everything the rest of her class got to do. She wanted to be normal, just for a little while. Wanted to forget that she wasn’t normal, not anymore. Part of her really wanted to pretend that she wasn’t pregnant, wasn’t alone, wasn’t scared out of her mind and wasn’t in love with her English teacher.

Wait a second. What? No. That . . . . Buffy hugged Mr. Gordo tighter to her chest. She rolled the thought through her head a couple of times. I’m in love with my English teacher. I’m in love with Mr. Stevenson. I’m in love with Will Stevenson. I love Will. Oh my god.

Buffy rolled over onto her side, clutching Mr. Gordo and one of her pillows tight to her chest, a watery smile on her features.


**********************************************************************************



Her cell phone was off. He’d tried calling her twice and he didn’t dare leave a message in case someone else got a hold of her phone. She’d disappeared from school and he hadn’t heard from her at all. Will was beginning to worry about her, but he also knew that she would show up in time to meet him in Restfield. Instead of going to open mic night, Will had skipped the last two Wednesdays, preferring to spend his time with her. As much as he loved performing, he loved her more and she was more important to him.

Pacing the confines of his kitchen didn’t help. He kept picturing her, wandering around the rooms, curled up on his couch, sitting beside him or on his lap. Frustration made his motions jerky, as he moved around the room putting dishes away. He needed to be doing something, any thing to keep his mind off Buffy. Yeah, right mate, how to keep your mind off the girl you love. Blowing out a breath, Will stood still for a moment. Grabbing his cell phone, he tried one last time to get her on the phone.

Will was standing in his kitchen, his cell phone at his ear and he growled when her voice mail picked up for the third time. In a very controlled motion, because he wanted nothing more than to throw the thing against the wall, Will put the cell phone down and walked away from it. The dogs were under his feet, Kennedy growling and yipping at his feet while he stalked from one room to the next. Idly noting the time, Will realized it was two hours before he could even expect to meet her in the cemetery and he knew he wasn’t going to last. Will was standing in the living room, staring at his couch, anger and frustration coursing though him. Which was completely irrational and he knew it.

That’s it. I don’t care. I’m going to see her now. Will stomped toward the door, his keys in hand and he’d opened the door to find his uncle and Jenny standing on the doorstep.

“Will. We just stopped by to see if you wanted to grab dinner.”

He stifled the groan that was building in his throat and motioned them inside. Though he hated to admit it, this was divine intervention, and he wasn’t about to foolishly ignore it. But he needed to let Buffy know he might be a few minutes late tonight.


**********************************************************************************



She’d fallen asleep on her bed, something that was happening with increasing regularity. Buffy liked naps, but it was beginning to worry her. She wondered if she should mention it to her doctor. Buffy stretched, almost willing to stay put, but the fullness of her bladder and tummy growling let her know she couldn’t stay put, no matter how much she wanted to.

Buffy washed her hands and face after she was done in the bathroom, staring at herself in the mirror. Those dark circles were back and her eyes were a dull, flat, murky brownish-hazel. Okay girl, can’t go looking like this. Gotta do something to look okay for Will. Stripping out of her clothes, Buffy stepped into the shower. Hopefully, she’d be on time tonight and not very late.


**********************************************************************************



Dinner was a quick and painless affair, all things considered, but it had given Will an insight as to why Buffy had skipped out of school. Giles’ offhand comment about Snyder’s latest campaign to humiliate and degrade his students one by one having found its latest target would’ve passed right by him if not for the second half of his comment. “Apparently Snyder refused to allow Miss Summers a waiver that would allow her to go on the trip.”

Will froze, which went unnoticed by his uncle, but Jenny looked at him curiously as he continued to sit there. It was the look on her face and the question in her eyes that made him aware of the strangeness of his reaction. He recovered before Jenny could say anything, mumbling a question at his uncle.

“Snyder told her in no uncertain terms she wasn’t allowed any more concessions, that he wasn’t going to allow her any leeway at all.” Giles stabbed his steak, displeasure obvious.

Will sat back, looking at his uncle. “He did what?”

“Refuses to allow her any more absences or latenesses.” Giles had such a look of distaste on his face that Will stopped eating.

“And you agree with him?”

Giles looked up swiftly, his gaze meeting Will’s for the first time since the conversation started. “No. I don’t. Snyder is an overbearing prick. And what he’s doing is wrong.” Giles shook his head. “The girl needs compassion and help, not Snyder’s attitude.”

At this Jenny’s curiosity got the better of her. “What’s wrong with her?”

Will took a deep breath then said, “she’s pregnant and only seventeen. She’s one of the smartest girls I’ve ever taught.” He refused to go any further, knowing if he did he’d betray his feelings.

“Buffy Summers scored almost perfect marks on her SATs and she could possibly have a very bright future ahead of her. She’s a very sweet girl.” Giles put in his two cents, then added, “however, her home situation isn’t good and the baby’s father has abandoned her also. Poor girl is going through a very rough patch.”

Jenny made all the appropriate responses, her eyes never leaving her plate, but some sixth sense was telling her that somehow Will was more affected by this than he was letting on. But she held her tongue.

It wasn’t long after that when Will made his excuses, leaving his part of the check, then heading for the door. Jenny watched him go, contemplating his profile as he reached for his cell phone.


**********************************************************************************



She got his cryptic message, wondering what could keep him, but knowing it was something he couldn’t easily get out of. Instead she waited at her house until it was time to meet him and then she headed out.

It was cold, well, cold for Sunnydale, and she’d brought a blanket with her. One or the other of them did that, and she hoped he remembered one also, because it was chilly. Buffy wandered through the headstones, thinking about what Snyder had said to her earlier. His comments echoed the ones her father had made and Buffy fought the tears. Not crying about this anymore, coz its just not helping and making me feel worse. Dad’s a jerk and Snyder’s a worm.

She kicked a low headstone, then grumbled when her toes hurt. She apologized to the dead person, hopping away on one foot.

He watched her approach, a smile on his face as he caught glimpses of her talking to herself. “Hello cutie.”

“Will!” She dropped the blanket and practically flew at him.

His arms opened automatically, sweeping her into his embrace, wrapping her in his strong arms. “Missed you kitten.”

She nuzzled under his chin, inhaling his scent deeply. “Me too. . . was so tired and I needed to sleep.”

He knew she wasn’t telling him the whole truth, knew that was only partially the reason she’d left early. “So Snyder being an ass wasn’t why you left?”

Buffy glanced up at him. “Okay, so that was a big part of it. He’s such a troll. I hate him.”

“Can’t say I blame you.” Will snagged the blanket she’d dropped, walking her backwards toward one of the mausoleums. It looked like a cave, with roughhewn marble walls and it afforded them more shelter from the chilly night air than some of the others. Sitting down first, Will pulled her down into his embrace. “Did you eat?”

“Yup. Mom left stuff again.” He was silent. Her mother’s frequent trips were starting to bother him somewhat. The woman was barely ever home.

“How long is she gone for this time?” Will hugged her close, his hand worming its way under her top, his long fingers brushing over a hardened nipple.

“Cold hand! Hey!” She tried wriggling away from him, but Will just chuckled, pulling her closer. “She’ll be back around the sixteenth, just in time to get ready for Christmas.” Buffy made a face. “This time next year I’ll be a mom and the one trying to get everything ready for Christmas.”

Will pictured her, bathed in the glow of Christmas lights, surrounded by wads of wrapping paper and bows, baby toys scattered all around her, the smell of pine and bayberry and vanilla enveloping her. The fact it was his living room and that she was pregnant didn’t really register until she started softly humming a Christmas song.

“I love Christmas. Its so nice. What’s Christmas like in England?” She shifted in his arms, looking up at him, her eyes fixed on his lips.

“Not like here. Usually cold, damp . . .” he got a wistful look in his eyes, then continued to tell her what Christmas had been like when he was small. For some reason he always remembered the last Christmas before his father died, when his mum laughed for no reason and everything was happy. Perhaps it was because the following year was so bleak, his father dying around Guy Fawkes Day and nothing had been the same since.

There were tears in her eyes when he finished, but he supposed it was in response to his tale. He hadn’t meant to say that last bit, about his mum and da out loud, but he must’ve, because she reacted to his words.

“Oh Will, that’s so . . . “ Buffy pulled his head down to hers, her lips finding his in a comforting kiss. She had no other way to comfort him, not at that moment. She wasn’t even sure which one of them she was seeking to comfort.

Will held her in his arms, the chill night air around them and made a silent promise to himself, and to her, that someday soon, he’d take care of her and have a Christmas with her, like the ones he used to have and it would be the way he remembered because they would be a family.


**********************************************************************************


They had no free moments during the next few days and only brief meetings at night. The temperature dropped unusually low for Sunnydale, but what was worse was the rain. Will was beginning to think the heavens were conspiring against them when the rain didn’t let up for four days. And then, just as suddenly as it had changed, it cleared up and the temperature started to climb.

Figures, just in time for me to leave. It was the night before the seniors and some select juniors were to leave for Los Angeles. Once more they were sitting in the cemetery with Buffy cradled in his arms. “You sure you’re gonna be okay kitten?”

She sighed, her breath warm against his neck. “I’m gonna be fine. Mom comes home sometime tomorrow and you don’t have to worry.”

“Always have to worry ‘bout m’girlfriend.” He didn’t realize what he’d said until she twisted around on his lap to look up at him.

“What did you . . . did you just call me your girlfriend?” She paused, looking for the answer in his eyes, which were trained on hers. “Why did you?”

He ran a thumb down her cheek, his other fingers curving around her head, holding her steady. “‘S what you are. Can’t rightly take you out and treat you proper jus’ now, but doesn’t mean I won’t.”

Buffy had a strange look on her face, something Will hadn’t ever seen before and it confused him for a long minute. He thought maybe he’d said it too soon or had it wrong, that she didn’t really feel the same until she said, “its how I think of you. . . as my, well, not as my girlfriend, but you know as my . . . boyfriend. And I thought I was crazy to think that and I’m babbling aren’t I?”

His broad grin and twinkling eyes were enough to tell her it was okay and he said, “yeah, you are kitten, but its sweet.”

She pouted a tiny bit and he almost growled at her. “You aren’t just saying that are you?”

He was confused for a second, not really following her line of questioning. “Sayin’ what?”

“That I’m your girlfriend.” She ducked her head, almost afraid to look at him.

Will kissed her temple, then lifted her chin, forcing her to look at him. “Wouldn’t play with you like that kitten. There’s only you.”

He didn’t say anything more, afraid she would be frightened off, but he was thinking it. Thinking about her being more than just his girlfriend, more than just . . . . he didn’t want to let her go. Ever. Wanted that. . . love, honor, cherish . . . commitment from her. But Will thought it was too soon, imagined it would be too much for her.

Buffy searched his eyes, looking for some sign that he was playing with her emotions. No one ever. . . . her parents’ love was conditional, dependent upon their moods or how they were feeling about each other – she had realized at a young age that her parents had a love-hate relationship and it was hard living in that shadow. And Riley had said over and over that he loved her, but at the first sign of trouble, he bailed on her. Buffy wasn’t stupid, she knew that wasn’t real love. But Will . . . he never said the words, didn’t toss them about easily, and yet, his actions kept proving that he felt something for her. She hoped it was love, because she was more than suspecting that’s how she felt.

Her small hand cupped his cheek, her thumb running across his lips, a soft smile on her face. Buffy kissed him, her lips soft and sweet and Will groaned, deepening the kiss.


**********************************************************************************



When she got home from school, her mom was already in, unpacked and napping up in her room. It had been a miserable day, mainly because nearly all the classes were empty and Willow was gone with the others on the trip. And Will was gone too.

Thankfully, Xander, who wasn’t taking Senior Lit, was still around, but he wasn’t much help for her mood either, since Cordy was on the trip. They moped around together most of the day, neither one of them in the happiest of moods. Xander chalked Buffy’s mood up to being sad she had no girlfriends to talk to and tried hard to cheer her up, but it was obvious to both of them that his heart wasn’t in it. She’d left school early, since her last two classes were completely empty and got home in time to get the mail. There was a card for her and a note indicating there was a certified letter waiting for her mom at the post office.

Leaving the small note for her mother, Buffy climbed the stairs to read her card in private. There was no return address and she hadn’t a clue who sent the card.

It wasn’t until she was lying on her bed, with the envelope open that she realized who it was from. The card was one of those missing you notes, and was addressed to kitten, signed always without a name. But she knew.

She didn’t need his signature. Brushing away a tear, Buffy slid the card under her mattress, then got out her homework.

Hours later her cell phone ringing woke her up and squinting at the time, Buffy thought about not answering it, but when it kept ringing, she flipped it open.

“Hello cutie.” His voice sounded so close.

“Hello yourself.”





So please, be kind, let me know what you think about this. Coz, like I said, reviews make the world go round.