For the first time in what seemed like weeks, Buffy woke up at the right time, and it was not because of her alarm clock. At 7:30, Dawn came skimping into her room singing something about the birds and the bees and god knows what. Buffy moaned and pulled her cover over her head. “Go away, you evil child of Satan.” Dawn scowled, “hey, I’m telling mom you said that.” “Suck up.” Dawn just sighed, “Whatever. Now get up, it’s a school day and you don’t want to be late again now, do you?” Suddenly a pillow hit her head, Buffy’s pillow. “You’re gonna be the most annoying mom ever, you know!” “Hey, at least then my kids will show up at school on time. Now let’s go.”

Buffy reluctantly got up and went to the bathroom. *Well, can’t say I’m mad at her. Look at me, I’m a mess. Now I can have some time to freshen up so I can look nice for a certain someone.* Buffy couldn’t help but smile. Happy Angel thoughts in the morning always brightened her mood. She finished brushing her teeth and her hair before applying some sexy yet subtle make up on. She didn’t want to look like a slut but she still wanted to look hot.

She opened her dresser and pulled out a red skirt that rode up just above her knee and a white tank top that was partly opened on the back. She put them on and her brown, high heeled boots and went downstairs for breakfast. Her mom was in the kitchen making pancakes.

“Oh, good morning Buffy. It’s nice to see you up on time.” Buffy kissed her cheek before sitting down at the island across from Dawn. “Yeah, you can thank your little brat for that.” She shot daggers Dawn’s way but she just stuck her tongue out at her. “God, how old are you, 6?” Joyce rolled her eyes and placed a plate of heart shaped pancakes between her daughters. “Girls, play nice. I won’t have any of that today. Now finish your breakfast and get ready. We’re leaving in fifteen minutes.” “Yes, mom,” they both said simultaneously.

**************

Buffy cheerfully walked down the corridors of the school, content on not needing to run to get to class. She smiled as she saw Willow, Xander and Anya standing by their lockers and skittered to them. “Hey guys, what’s up?” “Buffy, wow! You’re on time, that’s… new.” Xander grinned at her. “Yeah, I know. I decided I wasn’t gonna waste time sleeping any more. Life’s too short and school’s too important and all that stuff.” She smiled brightly at her friends but they all looked at her horrified. “Ok, who are you and what have you done to our precious, little Buffy,” Willow said as she laced her arm through Buffy’s.

“Hey, I’m not little. I’m just not big.” But just then the bell rang and all the kids around them separated to get to class. “Damn, I thought I had more time than that.” Buffy pouted as Willow practically dragged her to class. “Let’s go, little Buffy. Let’s not keep Mrs. Calendar waiting.

Mrs. Calendar, she was the only teacher Buffy really liked. Apart from Mr. Giles, the schools’ librarian, Jenny Calendar was her favorite teacher. She was always nice to Buffy and her friends. She was their computer teacher and she was really good at her job. She made the most confusing computer knowledge seem like a walk in the park. Also, Buffy and Willow were pretty sure she and Mr. Giles had a thing going on.

**************

At lunch, Buffy and Willow sat down at their usual table with their friends and enjoyed a healthy meal of pasta with something green and gooey looking. Most of the food was thrown away and Buffy decided to grab yoghurt instead. As they were sitting there, chatting nonchalantly about their activities, they heard a high pitched cry coming from the A- group table. They all turned around to see Drusilla pampering Spike. Buffy had seen him earlier that day with quite a big black eye and a nasty looking cut just below the bruising.

“I heard he got into a fight with a few police officers last night at the Bronze. Apparently, he had been drinking quite a lot and he wouldn’t leave when the owner told him to.” Jesse chirped after a long silence. “Sweetie, if he got into a fight with police officers, he wouldn’t be here right now, he’d be in a jail cell.” Tara pointed out to him. “Humph, it’s where he belongs anyway.” Buffy whispered to herself but it didn’t go unnoticed by Willow.

“I heard he stopped three big guys from robbing a young woman last night and that all three guys had to go to a hospital.” All eyes turned to Anya. “Well, it’s just what I heard.” She pouted and huffed back in her chair. “No, he probably was just stealing lunch money from poor, defenseless sophomores. I mean, he is the type.” Buffy’s voice was menacing and Willow slowly backed away from her.

“Wow, I’m sensing some hostility against the bleached wonder, aren’t you guys?” Xander looked around and was rewarded with several nods. “Well yeah, I hate the guy. He’s just so… so… arghh… every thing about him is annoying.” Willow and Tara exchanged glances and both knew there was more behind it than that.

**************

Buffy entered the schools library and was welcomed with a very chipper looking librarian. “Ah, good day, Miss Summers. I haven’t seen you around here for quite some time. “Hey, Mr. Giles. I’ve just been busy, that’s all.” “Oh please, just call me Giles. You’re making me feel so old with the whole Mr”. Buffy smiled lightly, “how old are you anyway, 148… 49?” He removed his glasses and cleaned them sharply before placing them back on his nose and answering, “Actually, I’m more around 230. How may I help you, Buffy?”

“I’m looking for this book about the poetries of T.S. Eliot. Do you know of one?” Giles pinched the bridge of his nose before his face brightened up. “Why, yes I do. Wait here.” He quickly disappeared behind a shelf and came back with a worn out book. “Here it is, although, I don’t think I can give it to you.” Buffy was confused, “why not?” “Because it is being reserved for a student already. He said he’d come to pick it up today. I’m sorry.” Buffy’s shoulder shrunk, “damn, oh well. Suppose I could always go look in good ol’ Sunnydale library.”

Just then, the doors to the library flew open and in walked Spike, all swaggering in his leather duster, making Buffy grit her teeth. “Mornin’ Rupes, ol’ fella. Got that book for me?” He strode pass Buffy but not before he blinked an eye at her and grinned. She straightened up and glared back at him, strangling him in her mind.

“Oh yes, actually I have it right here. You’re lucky, if you hadn’t reserved it, I would have given it to miss Summers here.” Spike smirked, “Oh, so itty bitty Buffy is interested in good ol’ Thomas, now.” Buffy just scowled at him. “I just need it to write an essay.” “Well in that case, you can have it. I can read it another time.” Now Buffy was really confused, “really, you don’t need it for school work? You were actually gonna read it?” Buffy stared at him like he had just grown two heads and all of a sudden, she could have sworn she saw him blush. “Oh right, school work. That’s it, I need it for school. But aah, it isn’t due for another three weeks so you can have it for now. Well gotta get to class. See ya around Rupes.” “Yes, have a nice day William.” Buffy stared after Spike, “William, his real name is William, and he reads poems?” She asked Giles but he was back to cleaning his glasses. She just sighed and shook her head. *That guy just gets weirder by the day.*