Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter 19 was revised a bit, mostly at the end so go back and read if you haven’t :) Sooo sorry for the hiatus, but I’m not as spry as I used to be, sadly. Literally 11 drafts later, I’ve come up with this update, so I hope I don’t get ‘you suck’ flames. Lastly, end scene contains some lines from the alley scene in Dead Things. Feedback is yearned for :)
~*~*~*~


He watched her closely as he moved his finger to the right spot and pressed, seeing her face contort in pleasure.


“Like that?” His voice was strained as his hands teased her between their bodies, trying to ignore the raging hard-on pressing against his jeans.


“Yes, don’t stop,” she pleaded, pushing up, craving more friction, more of his touch.


“I won’t,” he promised, adding a third finger as he re-entered her slick warmth.


Her body tightened in anticipation, wanting more. She hummed in satisfaction, arching into his hand.


He increased his pace, stretching her on each stroke until he could tell by her breathing that she was close. Continuing his ministrations, he used his thumb to rub her clit with just enough pressure.


She closed her eyes, biting her lip as she felt herself nearing the edge, her world about to explode.


“C’mon, luv,” he whispered against her ear, coaxing her.


Feeling his voice vibrate against her skin, she threw her head back in pleasure, “Oh, god.” She came, gasping, panting, bucking into his hand as she dug her nails into his shoulder.


He continued rubbing her swollen clit softly through her spasms, until her body slowly relaxed, a look of satisfaction on her face.


“All better?”


“Mmm,” she nodded, eyes sleepy.


He leaned down to kiss her before removing his other arm from under her neck and getting up stiffly. Painfully, he turned away from the delicious sight of her in her nightgown. He felt her grab him by the arm.


“Are you sure?” she asked, shifting to sit up, knowing he was going to grab a cold shower like usual.


“Yea.” He responded without looking at her, going straight for the bathroom.


She frowned, watching him just leave her there.


~



He jumped under the cold spray, trying not to think about her and the way she felt – the way it would feel if he could just bury himself in her warmth again. He wanted to bang his head against the cold tile.


Truth be told, he didn’t know how he was going to continue going on without sex. She was all he ever thought about. Everything she did lately was a turn on – all she had to do was look at him. He thought that by pleasing her, he could give her what she needed without the repercussions. He didn’t expect it to be so painfully hard, pun intended.


He almost jumped up when Buffy suddenly emerged in the shower with him.


“Cold!” she yelped as the spray hit her nude body.


“What are you doing!?” He quickly reached for the knob past her and turned it to a warm setting. At the sight of her naked and now wet, his stomach clenched, arousal spurred.


“You left me.”


As he opened his mouth to protest, she stopped him and added, “I was going to help you…with that.” She gestured downward, amazed that he was still hard after the ice-cold water.


“You don’t-“


Before he could finish, she was shushing him and lifting herself onto him by his shoulders.


He groaned as his erection slipped between her legs, and he pushed her back, placing her on her own two feet. “No, not like that.” He inhaled a sharp breath, trying to think with his head instead of his dick.


She looked confused. “Don’t you want me?” She couldn’t help but ask, since he had never been able to keep his hands off of her for this long.


“Are you blind? I always want you. That’s the problem.” He ran a hand down his face, frustrated.


“So you’re gonna take a cold shower every time?” she asked unbelievingly.


He sighed, knowing she was right. There was nothing he could think of that was an easy solution. Spike looked at her, sopping wet underneath the spray and all he could think about was taking her. Lips glossy and kissable – skin taut and tan - absolutely perfect.


He could see she was about to say something sarcastic again, so he wound his arm around her waist tenderly and claimed her mouth before pulling back. “Be quiet and let me kiss you.”


“Don’t tell me to-“ Her hands were about to push his away indignantly.


She was silenced when he pulled her against him until their lips met softly. Surprised at the gentle caress, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back.


The kiss was soft, yet hard enough to make her want more. As his hand trailed up to touch her cheek, she forgot all her inhibitions, leaning into him.


Spike felt like he could just kiss her forever – it was the one time when he could believe she didn’t hate him – the way she let herself relax into him as he softly claimed her lips, and most of all, the way she claimed his back.


She parted her lips, letting him slip his tongue in to caress hers. She could hear him groan in relief, mouth eager to devour hers. Encouraged, she pressed closer to him, feeling the wetness between her legs as his arousal teased her entrance accidentally.


Buffy jolted up, surprised as Spike tensed and jerked forward suddenly, making a mess.


Hand against the shower over her shoulder, he closed his eyes in disbelief. “Feel like a pimply teenager,” he shook his head at himself before looking at Buffy. “Sorry, luv.”


He found her merely staring at him, lust and a bit of something else in her eyes.


Without words, she looped her arms around the back of his neck and brought him down for another long kiss, and he gladly complied.


~


“How did you do it?” He smirked in satisfaction, thinking about what her death would cause.


“Choked her with the chains.”


“You sure no one saw you?”


“I’m positive. Everyone was at the fight, you know that.”


He nodded. “Good. Now we just have to wait. Soon, I’ll take everything Spike has, including his girl.” He grinned.


~


“Time to wake up, Princess.”


At first, she only groaned and tried to wave his arm away, pulling the covers over her head. “Go away,” was her muffled answer.


“C’mon, luv.” He pulled the covers down.


“Sleepy still,” she mumbled with her eyes closed.


“Alright, well, I’m going out. Was gonna see if you wanted to come along.” He pushed a strand of hair off her face.


She opened a squinting eye at him. “To where?” she asked warily.


“A few stores for some things I need.”


“Stores?” She sat up with more attention. “What kind of stores? Dark, seedy, gang-like kind?”


He chuckled, “No. The regular, bright kind.” He put on a serious expression, “With flowers.”


She looked confused before she scowled at him for making fun of her. “This is probably some trick to sell me as a whore on the street.”


He sighed. “You either want to come, or you don’t.”


She moved to get up, “Fifteen minutes.” As she stood up, the sheet fell to the floor, exposing her nude state.


“Do you have to sleep naked?” Spike asked, throat suddenly dry.


“Whose fault is that really?” She asked with a raised eyebrow before she sauntered away purposefully.


He scratched the back of his neck and muttered something indecipherable as she went to get dressed.


~


Half an hour later, Buffy came out of the bathroom dressed in a pair of jeans and a white blouse with a lace-covered layer. Her hair was in a half ponytail, with the dangling strands curling slightly at the ends. Her make-up was light – the only thing noticeable was her lip gloss.


It was almost strange to be wearing regular clothes again, and for once, she felt normal. “Ok, I’m ready,” she replied absently, scanning the room for things she wanted to bring.


For a few seconds, he just stared at her, but she didn’t notice. He tried to ignore the feeling in his stomach.


Nodding, he finally said, “Right. Let’s go.”


~


The car ride started off silent.


“Tell me why you’re really doing this.” She gave him a suspicious look.


He scoffed. “You’re right, I lied. I’m selling you to a brothel.”


She crossed her arms with a huff. “Not if I sell you to one first.”


Looking amused, he pointed out, “They don’t have many male brothels these days.”


“That’s not true. Haven’t you ever heard of Heidi Fleiss?”


“Is that the scary, anorexic-looking chick?”


She ignored him, returning to her original inquiry, “At least tell me where we’re going.”


“A bookstore.”


“A bookstore?”


“You know, those places that sell bound paper?”


She dismissed his patronization with an eye roll. “Do you even read?”


“Of course I bloody well read,” he said defensively.


“Read what? The Art of Thievery? Are you telling me that you, Spike, are going to a bookstore just to buy books?”


“Alright, no, but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t,” his voice was indignant. “If you must know, an old friend of mine runs it.”


“Like a normal person friend?”


“I’m starting to think you have a really low opinion of me,” he said in a deadpan voice.


“Did you just get that now?” She smiled at him.


“Is that a smile?”


She let her expression drop. “No. It’s a smirk.”


“Nuh-uh, I think it was a smile.”


“It was a patronizing smile, not an I-feel-joy smile, so don’t get excited.” She turned away huffily from him to look out her passenger window.


“Mmhm,” he replied with a grin.


After a moment’s silence, he continued, “I think you’ll like him. He’s a bit stuffy these days, but he’s a nice bloke.”


“Do I have to pretend we’re just a normal, real-life couple or something? Because if so, I quit.”


“No, he knows I lead a gang. And we’ve played the couple-routine before, you know.”


“I try to forget,” she said dryly.


He smirked, remembering how well she had acted out that part.


“What’s his name anyway?”


“Rupert Giles, or Ripper is what we used to call him.”


~


“What kind of bookstore is named The Magic Shop?” she whispered as they walked around the shop, scanning the books and waiting for Spike’s friend to appear.


“A magic book kind. Why are we whispering?” he asked in the same hushed tone.


“They have actual shops for that? Wait, they have actual customers for shops for that?”


“Quite a lot, actually,” a male voice jumped in.


Buffy whipped around, a deer-caught-in-the-headlights expression on her face. She didn’t know what she had expected, but it certainly wasn’t an older man in a sweater vest and glasses. That only made her feel more embarrassed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to sound rude. At least, not to your face.”


She frowned when she realized that last part definitely sounded rude. She opened her mouth to correct herself, but heard both of them chuckle at her.


“It’s quite alright. I get that a lot actually, but there’s a rather large Wiccan following in Los Angeles.”


“Wiccan?” She turned to Spike questioningly.


“He means witches,” Spike explained.


“Right. Witches. Of course.” She wasn’t sure if it was a joke but didn’t want to sound offensive in case it wasn’t.

Giles smiled at her and offered his hand, “I’m Giles. It’s nice to finally meet you.”


Spike coughed and sent Giles a quick glare.


Finally? She glanced at Spike suspiciously before extending her hand. “I’m Buffy. It’s nice to meet you too.”


“Please sit down and I’ll make us some tea.”


“Tea?” Buffy mouthed to Spike when Giles turned to lead them. If anyone had told her beforehand that Spike had a friend who ran a magic book shop and made tea, she would’ve laughed in their face. Apparently, she would’ve been wrong.


“You know, British and their tea. It’s a thing.” Spike ushered Buffy forward, one hand on her back.


~



It had been several minutes of Giles explaining his shop to her. She was slowly starting to understand that there were people who took magic really seriously, as in hocus pocus serious.


“So you’re saying you have magic spell ingredients too? Downstairs?”


“Yes, an extensive collection, if I do say so myself.”


“Yea, all full of mummy hands and rabbit tails, right, Rupes?” He smirked, seeing Buffy’s wide eyes.


Giles smiled, and Buffy looked confused, before she figured out that Spike was teasing her.


“You’re a jerk,” she retorted, crossing her arms.


“He often is,” Giles comforted.


“Hey! Whose friend are you anyway?”


Both Giles and Buffy gave him a look.


Offended, Spike mumbled under his breath in response, picking up his cup of tea for a drink.


She rolled her eyes and turned to Giles, ignoring him. “So…” Buffy began, hands around her cup of tea, “What is it exactly Spike has said about me?”


Spike spit back into his cup mid-sip.


“Only good things, rest assured.” Giles looked amused.


“She doesn’t like good things. Hates ‘em. Hates most things I say, actually.” He hoped to change the subject because he knew how this was all sounding.


“I just like to know what is being said about me behind my back,” Buffy gave Spike a pointed look.


“I’ve never even told him your name,” he defended.


“That’s true. He first called you the ‘new pretty blonde girl’,” Giles started.


Spike groaned.


Instead of finding that flattering, Buffy glared at him.


Spike was about to respond when his phone rang. Fumbling in his pockets, he took it out and furrowed his brows when he looked at the caller id. He got up to take the call, going to the other side of the bookstore. “Hello?” A muffled voice could be heard. “No, I’m busy today,” Spike responded with annoyance. After a moment, his demeanor hardened, “I said I’m busy. What the hell is this about?”


“So Spike tells me you’re a quick learner,” Giles started conversationally.


“I try,” she responded, forcing a smile. It was hard to imagine Giles having a friend like Spike, and she wasn’t sure if Giles had ever seen the ruthless side of him.


Leaning in a bit, he said, “You don’t need to pretend around me, Buffy.” His expression grew serious, “I know how gangs work, and how it really is between you two.”


She looked surprised by his candid tone – he had fooled her into thinking he was unaware of the hostility between them.


“Spike’s an old friend, but it doesn’t mean I don’t know about all the horrid things he’s done.” He touched her lightly on the elbow.


She looked down as she shifted in her seat, uncomfortable with his implication. Unsure of how to respond to him, she waited for him to continue.


“I’m telling you this because I’ve tried, for years, to get through to him, make him see how destructive he had become.”


Giles made sure Spike was still occupied before continuing in a low voice, “Something which you’ve managed to do in less than 6 months.”


Her eyes shot up at that. “What are you talking about?”


“He was a cold, heartless man. For the first time in years, I see humanity in him again.”


“What makes you think I have anything to do with it?”


“Isn’t it obvious?” His expression said it was self-explanatory.


Her brows furrowed. She didn’t want to be the reason. She couldn’t be.


“What’s wrong?” Spike asked as he approached them, seeing Buffy’s furrowed expression.


She gazed down at the cup in her hands, quickly rebounding. Buffy didn’t want to make things awkward between the two, especially since Giles had only been nice to her. She made a face, “Do I have to drink this?”


He smiled, “You don’t have to drink it. Rupert can take the insult.”


“Yes, you really don’t have to drink it,” Giles took the cup from her. “Would you like some coffee or water instead?” He got up to put the cup away.


“Water would be great,” she smiled.


As Spike sat down, he asked her, “So what did you two talk about?”


“Nothing. Chit-chat, magic books, etc,” she responded without enthusiasm. She avoided his gaze, focusing on their surroundings instead.


Noticing the change in her mood, toward him in particular, he asked again, “Sure nothing’s wrong?”


“Can you stop asking me that?” she snapped.


Taken off-guard by her sudden shift, he responded hesitantly, “Ok.”


~


“Did you say something to her?” Spike demanded, pulling Giles aside once Buffy had gone to the washroom.


“Like what?”


“Don’t know. That’s why I’m asking you. Something is off.”


“I didn’t say anything she didn’t already know.”


Spike gave him a look of warning, but Giles shook his head at him.


“You don’t intimidate me, William. You should know that by now. And you know what I think?”


“What?” He looked annoyed. Spike hadn’t thought that Giles would go so far as to meddle.


“I think you’re in love with her.”


Surprised, he opened his mouth to respond, but Buffy appeared from the back.


Spike and Giles exchanged a brief glance.


“Something wrong?” Buffy asked, catching the exchange.


“Everything’s fine. Let’s go,” Spike gestured towards the door.


“Buffy, it was great to meet you.” Giles offered his hand for a handshake.


She smiled, returning it, “Thanks for having me. Sorry I dissed your tea.”


“It’s quite alright. Horrid stuff,” he waved it away. “But come back if you can. Gets rather boring around here.”


“Rupert.” Spike nodded once.


“Spike. Try not to get yourself killed,” Giles said wryly.


Ignoring him with a scoff, Spike exited the bookstore with Buffy.


~


“Where to?” Buffy asked in an uninterested tone. She couldn’t get what Giles had said out of her mind. Was that why he had brought her here? To show her there was more to him than a gang?


Despite the fact that Giles was his friend, his mind was on overdrive with the things he could’ve possibly told her. Giles had been on his case for years about starting over - getting away from Angelus and the like. Turning to Buffy, he said, “Tell me what’s wrong.”


“Nothing’s wrong.”


“What did he say to you? Did he upset you?”


“Who? Giles?”


“Who else?”


“He didn’t upset me. He was fine – friendly and normal. Let’s just go, ok?” She had her arms crossed, but it looked more like she was hugging herself.


Frustrated, he sighed and started the car, wishing he hadn’t taken that call.


~


“Where are we going?” She finally asked. They had been driving for well over an hour.


“It’s a surprise.”


She looked at him warily. “I don’t want to be surprised.”


“I think you’ll like it.”


“Not if it’s from you.”


“Don’t get cheeky. We’re practically there. Look.”


Buffy saw the ocean emerge out of nowhere, waters glistening under the setting sun. They were driving onto the stretch of freeway along the coast, and the entire sight seemed so grand. It had been forever since she had seen the ocean.


He saw her riveted expression and smiled.


~


The waves crashed against the shore, spilling gently onto the sand. They looked down at the small and vacant cove from the cliff top where the car was parked.


“Where are we?”


“Off the coast of Santa Barbara. Gorgeous, isn’t it?”


She turned to him, frustration filling her expression. “Why did you bring me here?”


“Do you not like beaches?”


“That’s not the point. You brought me here, to a secluded beach, to what? Reflect about our lives as we gaze into each others’ eyes? Will there be rompy beach sex?”


He was amazed that she had somehow turned this into an elaborate plot. “Have you ever thought that maybe I come here regardless of you? I thought you might like it, but I didn’t come for moon eyes and weepy tales either.”


She looked surprised at his tone.


Sighing, he said, “I’ll smoke my cig, and we don’t have to talk, how’s that?”


Wordlessly, she nodded, following him as they went closer to the water.


~


They sat silently on the beach, watching the waves.


Spike was smoking his cigarette, ignoring her like she wanted.


“Do you have to do that?” She asked, looking annoyed.


“Thought we weren’t supposed to speak? Might lead to reflecting.” He looked amused that she had broken the silence within a minute.


“I’m not reflecting. I’m asking you not to smoke. It’s killing the mood.”


“There’s a mood?” He raised an eyebrow, intrigued.


“The beach mood,” she rolled her eyes. “I want to smell beach smell, not gross smoke smell. Besides, secondhand smoke kills. Are you trying to kill me?”

He sighed, putting it out in the sand. “Since you asked ever so nicely,” he replied dryly.


“You’re polluting.”


Becoming exasperated, “And where am I supposed to put it out? On my arm?”


She shrugged. “Maybe. Or you could not smoke in the first place.”


“Why? Don’t tell me you care about my health now.”


“Ha! If you died of lung cancer, I’d pretend it was me who,” she made stabbing motions, “And then I’d take over as leader.”


“It’s nice to know you’re waiting for me to kick the can.”


She smiled. “You’re welcome.”


Seeing her smile again, he smirked himself. “That’s two.”


“What?”


“Nevermind.” He turned toward the ocean again, smirk still in place.


She narrowed her eyes at him. “What’d you say?”


“Nothing,” he shrugged and shook his head with an innocent expression.


“Ugh, you’re insufferable.”


“Insufferable is a move up from ‘blood-sucking scum,’ at least.”


“When did I call you that?” She tried to remember.


“Same time you clocked me in the nose.”


“Oh, right. Now I remember.” She had gotten upset that he was trying to buy her off with nice clothes and pretty jewelry. She had flung all her clothes at him, yelling, but he had tried to placate her, and her automatic response was a punch to the nose.


He waited, expectantly.


“What? I didn’t break it,” she defended.


“Just made it bleed a little,” he drawled sarcastically.


“I could always finish the job this time,” she answered dryly.


He quirked a brow. “Sounds kinky.”


Her face scrunched up. “You’re a pig, Spike.”


“Is that a move up or a move down from insufferable?”


She glowered at him and ignored his question, turning back to the view. She would just pretend he wasn’t there.


Gazing at the ocean, she watched the waves curl and crash onto the coast, lightly coating the higher sand with water. The sun was setting on the horizon, illuminating the sky in hues of orange, purple and pink. Closing her eyes, she listened to the serene sound of the ocean. Slowly, the tension in her body melted away.


When she felt her hand being taken, she opened her eyes. Rolling them, she asked, “What do you think you’re doing?”


“Don’t think I don’t notice you creeping farther and farther away from me,” he gestured to the space between them.


“What? I haven’t even moved!”


“That’s what you say.”


She gave him an annoyed look. “That’s a lame excuse to hold my hand.”


He grinned at her as she pulled her hand from his with a huff.



~


After a while of peaceful silence, Spike looked over at her, thinking it was about time to leave. He opened his mouth to speak but was cut off as Buffy leaned toward him, slumping on his shoulder. Surprised, he saw her closed eyes and realized she had fallen asleep.


With a slightly awed expression, he gently lifted his arm and put it around her, careful not to wake her.


~


One side of her felt cold, and the other side of her felt warm. The crash of the waves reached her ears again as she opened her eyes slowly, realizing she had fallen asleep sitting up, nestled against Spike’s side, his arm around her shoulders.


“When did I fall asleep?” She blinked to clear her hazy eyes.


“Some time ago. Must’ve gotten tired trying to come up with snarky comebacks,” he teased.


“I don’t have to try. They come naturally when I look at you,” her voice was still slightly hoarse from sleep.


“That’s touching. I’m your inspiration, then?” He smiled when she scowled up at him, noticing she hadn’t made a move to disentangle herself from him, not that he minded.


“You wish.” She smirked.


His smile turned sad. “Yea.” He cleared his throat as the arm around her shoulder dropped. “We should go.”


She felt the warmth fade, and a feeling of loss went through her. Biting her lip, she turned away from him.


“What’s that pout for? Don’t tell me you wanna stay?” He ran a hand down her arm.


She looked up at him, her arm tingling at his touch.


He frowned at her silence. “What’s wrong?”


As his hand slipped back to his side, she grabbed his arm.


Confused, he looked down at her hand.


Silently, she pulled him toward her and stepped closer.


Her gaze was locked on his lips as she moved in.


Spike couldn’t help the shaky breath he exhaled, leaning in to meet her halfway.


Worming her arm around the back of his neck, she pulled him down toward the sand.


~


The rush of the waves filled the silence as she pulled her clothes back on, eyes averted.


Growing worried, he reached over to touch her cheek, but she turned away from him.


Her body trembled, and she felt the sting of tears in her eyes.


She felt him pulling away, closing his eyes as he rested his forehead on hers. “God, you don’t know how badly I want you.”


“No one’s stopping you.” She leaned up to kiss him, arching up to urge him on.


“You know why-“


“I want to.”


He met her steely gaze and felt his heart expand at the certainty in her words, in her eyes. Still, he hesitated, torn between his lust for her and his resolve. “Are you sure?” He asked seriously.


And then she said the words that she swore never to admit to herself. “I want you.”



“You’re shivering.” He reached over to warm her arms, but he stopped when she flinched. As she turned to avoid his gaze, he saw the shine of wetness on her face. He felt something inside of him break.


“Can we go now?” Her voice was small and she was hugging herself.


He swallowed the dryness in his throat and nodded.


She threw her head back, gasping as he finally entered her. She reveled in the way they felt together, and the simple way he could make her feel like she was the only one. Closing her eyes, she moved with him, letting herself forget.


They walked to the car in silence, and he searched for something he could say – ask her what was wrong, tell her he was sorry, anything.


She hated herself. She had asked for it, practically begged for it – from him. There was nothing that could save her now.


”Yes, more,” she urged him on, pushing up to meet his thrusts, wanting to feel him move inside of her.


“Buffy,” he whispered feverishly against her lips. She was all around him – her warmth, her skin, the lust in her eyes.


She could feel herself nearing the edge at the sound of worship in his voice. “Tell me you want me.”


“I want you,” he assured immediately as he rocked with her.


“Only me.”


“Only you,” he nodded, voice shaky as their eyes locked.


At his words, she tensed and gasped, feeling an intense orgasm seize her.


His mouth opened in pleasure as the muscles in his body tightened. Feeling her quake beneath him, he came with her.



They approached the car atop the cliff.


“I’m sorry,” he broke the silence suddenly, unable to handle the heart-wrenching sight of her tears.


Quickly, she wiped her face with the back of her hand, eyes darting away from him. “Let’s just go.”


“I shouldn’t have-“


“I don’t want to talk about it,” she grounded out.


“We need to talk about it. You’re crying.”


“There’s nothing to talk about. We had sex. It’s not like it hasn’t happened a million times before.” She stood guardedly, arms wrapped around herself.


“I know it’s my fault.” He closed the gap between them, but she only backed up.


She laughed bitterly. “I begged you for it, remember? For once, you’re off the hook.”


“Luv-“


“Don’t call me luv.” She took another two steps back as he reached for her.


He ached to comfort her, make it like it was before.


“Buffy,” he tried again.


She shook her head, eyes glossy with tears as she moved farther out of his reach. “Don’t you understand? I begged you. How depraved do I have to be?”


“You’re not depraved.”


“Oh no? You raped me, Spike. Hurt me more than once. And look at me now. I’m asking for sex.” Face scrunching in anguish, she covered her mouth, choking out a sob as the memory hit her again. She looked behind her, seeing the edge and taking another step back.


“I can change, I have changed. I can be a better man.”


She shook her head, lip trembling. “I don’t want you to be.”


“Buffy, please. Just come back and we’ll talk about it.”


“That’s just it. I don’t want to go back. I don’t want this life-” She felt the rubble beneath the edge of her foot crumble away.


He froze, panicked, but she regained her balance. He asked in a strained voice, “And what are you going to do? Fling yourself off a cliff? I can’t let you do that, luv.”


“I don’t want to want you,” she finished with pain in her eyes.


He frowned, feeling like he had been stabbed in the gut. He drove her to this. A part of him had hoped that he could make things better, and it would be ok. But now he knew it would never be ok.


“Just let me go.”


“I can’t.” Guilt filled his features.


“Why?” she cried, exasperated with the same answer he always gave her.


“I love you.”


~*~*~*~