Author's Chapter Notes:
the last 'chapter' chapter...the next is the epilogue and then that's it...well for this fic at least

And I'm going to be shameless and ask pretty, pretty please for reviews--and not just because I'd lbe completely amazed to get to 600--but because having the 'sinus infection of doom' as I've decided to call it has put me behind on my next story (that I have to post as soon as this is done) and reviws will say, 'Hey, Suzee, people like your writing--now hurry up and finish the thing!"

Also, this chapter is dedicated to my two author girls who have gotten some just plain nasty reviews lately--you don't deserve them at all.
Chapter 40



They moved in remarkably fast. Buffy didn't have much to move in, no furniture, really. And William only had a tiny apartment, but he brought with him plenty of books and they of course had Buffy's art supplies and Sam's things. But they did still need a lot to fill the house--which had silver faucets in the bathrooms. Buffy loved being able to literally build her home with William. Sam loved her dark wood, pink canopy bed.


As well as the flying Tinkerbell she’d been allowed to put up.


”Can I have the flying Tinkerbell?” She asked as the three of them were setting up her room.


“What?” Spike asked her, totally confused. “You know what she’s talking about, luv?” he asked Buffy.


”No idea. What’s the flying Tinkerbell Sammy?”


“Remember at the store? There’s the Tinkerbell that goes on the string that you put on the ceiling and the wall. Then you press the button and she flies. Pretty please?” She knew her ‘pretty pleases’ tended to work on her dad.


“Why don’t we go to the store tomorrow and you can show us what it is?” Buffy didn’t want to commit to attaching something to the ceiling when she had no idea what it was.


The next day they’d bought the flying Tinkerbell—Buffy found it adorable as well.



The house wasn't as 'grand' as her house with Angel had been, but she loved it a million times more. It was home, something Angel's house had never been for her.


Life was going so well for her...all she was waiting for was for William to propose. She hoped she wasn't wrong in assuming that he would.


*(*)*(*)(*)*


He knew that since they'd been in the house a full week, that Buffy would be starting to worry herself over their future marriage and whether or not it would happen. She worried like that, something he found adorable about her. It was also why he'd waited, he didn't want it to be one hundred percent expected.


Buffy was at lunch with her mother today (something he'd secretly arranged) and then she was going to go visit Cordelia (something else he'd arranged), so she wouldn't be home for several hours at least. Which meant that he and Sam had some planning time.


"Sam, are you going to help me, we'll talk about the dog later."


"But you won't, you'll forget and then-"


"Sam, remember how I told you I needed your help with something important?"


"Uh huh," she said looking at him, remembering their earlier talk.


"Well I wasn't going to tell you what it was because, well because you're not very good at keeping secrets," William explained.


"I can too," Sam pouted.


"Remember when we bought grandma that necklace after we moved?"


"Oh, yeah...but I didn't mean to." Sam had told her grandma that she couldn't tell her what it was, but they had a great present for her. Then about five minutes later, she'd said something about it being a 'beautiful necklace'.


"It's alright, pet, I know you didn't mean to and it's okay. This is just something that has to be kept a secret."


"I can do it this time Daddy, I promise!" she said vehemently, nodding her head, her eyes wide.

"Okay, well I guess we'll find out," William muttered, not sure it was a great idea, but not knowing if he had any other choice. "I want you to help me set up the outside because I need to ask Mum something," he was going to try to be vague about it.


"What are you going to ask her?" Apparently vague wasn't going to do it.


"I'm going to ask her to marry me, pixie."


Sam, who had been decidedly grumpy the entire day, visibly brightened. "Really? Can I ask her?"


He laughed, "'Fraid not. Think I'm going to ask her this one."


"Okay, but i get to help you get ready right?"


"Right. And we need to get started now if we're going to finish by the time she gets home."


"Well, what are you waiting for, then?"


"Not sure," he laughed, loving her enthusiasm. "Now first..."


)_)_()()()_(_(


She'd expected to come home to William and Sam doing something, possibly cooking dinner, but that's not what they were doing. There was an envelope on their front table that read in Sam's script 'For Mommy.' She carefully picked it up, not sure quite what was going on, but curious nonetheless. 'Because I thought being relaxed might help me as well...' William had written on the card. It confused her for a second before she remembered the conversation they’d had the night she told him she loved him.


Slowly, with tears filling her eyes, Buffy made her way to the back door, knowing what she was going to see there, yet not expecting quite what she did see. The swing set was decorated in roses and white lilies, their blossoms somehow tied to the wood beams supporting the swing set. There were candles on their patio table and on the little floor before the top of the slide.


William sat, nervously she noted, on one of the swings. "You don't have to be nervous she whispered," sitting on the other swing, still crying.


"I know...just am," he whispered back. But she smiled at him and he looked up at Sam's window and saw her smiling anxiously down at them--he knew having her in her room was the only way to keep her from spilling the secret--he looked at the two girls--his two girls, with such love shining in their eyes and all his fears were washed away. "Buffy, luv," he got off his swing, and kneeled in front of her, "I was in love with you long before you knew it, I thought I'd lost you forever, damned to have you confined to my dreams for the rest of my life--never knowing true love again. But then I found you, granted I was a bit thick at first and didn't get it all put together right in my head…


I found you. And it wasn't just my dreams any more, you were really there, and you were so much better than my dreams could ever be because you're...you're you, you're real and you're beautiful and you're vibrant and you're so full of life that I feel better just knowing I get to be around you.


And Sam, God, Buffy, I never thought I'd have kids, couldn't imagine truly loving someone enough for it. It always hurt a bit when someone where I was teaching would remark on what a great father I was going to be. I didn't think it would ever happen...And I didn't tell you this, but at first it kind of hurt a little each time Sam did something else to make me love her...I so desperately wanted her to be mine.


I hated Angel. Hated him for having the two of you when he was nowhere close to deserving it. I know I don't deserve either of you either no one's ever going to be good enough for my girls, but Buffy..." he was getting choked up, but was determined to get through this. "Buffy, I love you and I love Sam...not only to have a daughter, but to have it be with you and it's Sam, Sam that is the perfect little girl...I love you so much and we have a beautiful, brilliant daughter, who," he tried to lighten things a bit, "Is going to come down here soon if I don't finish this up. Buffy, I know you think I can be poetic and always know what to say, but I haven't been able to come up with a worthy way of asking you, Buffy Anne Summers, mother of my child, love of my life, woman of dreams, will you marry me?"


Buffy'd imagined this scene probably hundreds of times over the last few months, imagined saying something like 'a million times yes,' that had always seemed so corny to her or possibly something beautiful and meaningful, but she couldn't manage either at the moment. Instead, she slid off the swing and onto her knees in front of William. "I thought you'd know by now that I am never letting you go...of course I'm going to marry you, William."


"Buffy, not that I don't like what you're doing," William said as Buffy knocked him over into the grass, kissing him long and hard--over and over again. "But Sam's watching," he moved an arm from around her back to wave at Sam, "and she'll be down here in a second, if she's not already on her way."


Buffy kept kissing his neck, her knees on either side of his hips, "It's not like we're doing anything bad...and she knows I kiss you and you kiss me, and," she was interspersing her words with kisses to his lips, "You just asked me to marry you. I'm going to kiss you no matter what you say."


"See, I told you I could keep it a secret!" Sam yelled as she ran out the back door, the door banging behind her.” You’re getting married mommy," she informed her mother as she made it to Buffy, who was currently straddling William and leaning back against his bent legs.


"I know I am! Isn't it great?" Buffy got off of William and, still on her knees, gave Sam a huge hug.


"It's very good and I didn't tell, Daddy thought I might on accident. But I didn't. I stayed upstairs just like he asked. But I helped get the flowers up."


"Yes you did, baby," William was still lying in the grass.” You helped me a lot, couldn't have done it without you."


"William, you going to get up?"


"Yeah Daddy, you can't stay outside all night."


"Will in a minute," he wanted to just sit there and listen to them talk and bask in how perfect his life was, "You two keep talking."


TBC........ Elena said to beg for reviews but I'll just say: Pretty please? (and give you a sad look while I do it)...and yes, being sick does apparently make me weird


And I posted a Valentine's short fic yesterday--it's a sequel to '113 Times' and is called 'Not Just Puppy Love' :)