Chapter 3

Buffy was bored. She wandered through the cemetery glancing at the shadows. She had only dusted one vamp in the last two nights, and was beginning to wonder if it was her reputation that was keeping them away or the rep of a few certain mystery soldiers that keep capturing demons…

She heard a noise around the other side of a crypt and slipped into Slayer-mode. She cautiously moved along the wall of the building and peaked around the other side. Then just stood and watched.

There she saw the thin muscular vampire battling a much bigger one. It was a beautiful scene. Spike moved with such speed and grace. Buffy started unwillingly comparing him to Angel. When Angel fought, it was always wham-bam. It always looked like he was fighting just to get it out of the way. All muscle, no style. Angel didn’t do style. Angelus did. Even though Angelus was the epitome of all things evil, she admired his commitment and focus. Something Angel never seemed to exhibit. But Spike… Spike was having fun. Even letting out a laugh here and there. He threw punches and kicks with a sense of dignity. The air around him seemed to slow down when he moved. He also seemed to be giving off an impossible heat. As she continued to watch the battle, she realized that the heat wasn’t coming from him, but from herself.

Spike finally had the other vamp pinned down and was sitting on his chest punching him repeatedly In the face.

“You going to dust that guy, or what?” Buffy called out from her viewpoint a few feet away.

Spike stopped a punch in mid-air and looked up at her startled. The vampire underneath him laid unconscious. Spike regained his composure quickly and smirked at her.

“No stake,” he admitted.

“Here,” Buffy tossed him her stake.

He caught it and made a move to plunge it into the vamp’s chest, then stopped.

“Whatcha waitin’ for?” Buffy started walking toward them.

Spike lowered his hand. “Well, it’s not very sporting, is it? I mean, where’s the fun in killing something if it’s not even fighting back.”

“Killing isn’t fun, Spike. It’s my job.”

“Well, it’s not mine,” he got up off the vamp and stood in front of Buffy.

“What were you fighting for, anyway?”

“Bored. I was out for a walk. Feeling kinda restless, saw this guy lurking about, so I jumped him.”

“Seems pretty careless.”

Spike raised an eyebrow to her and cocked his head, “You worried about me, Slayer? Come here to help me out?”

“I just happened by, Spike. I patrol this cemetery, you know.”

“Do you? Haven’t seen you here all week. You’re getting sloppy.”

“I am not getting slop- How would you know where I’ve been this week?”

Suddenly the big sleeping vampire wasn’t so much sleeping anymore. He jumped up behind Spike and reached out for him. Without taking his eyes off Buffy, Spike whipped his arm back around himself and drove the stake through the vamp’s chest. Buffy’s heart skipped a beat and she felt herself get all warm and wet. Wow - that’s sexy. Before the dust settled, he answered her.

“Don’t know where you’ve been. I know where you haven’t been. Here. I live here now.”

“You live here? Where?”

“I think you know the place.”

“Oh.” Buffy stood in front of Spike and let her eyes wander down to his body. Her hand involuntarily reached out and she laid her palm on his chest. “I like the way you fight.”

“Do you?”

She slid her hand down further to his waistband and untucked his t-shirt, then moved her hand back up his cool body to rest on his chest again. Spike cupped his hand on the side of her neck and rubbed his thumb along her jaw. He slowly moved his thumb to trace her lips. She took note that his fingers were incredibly soft and pictured the other things his fingers had done. She looked up into his face again and tensed up when she saw the look her was giving her. She recognized the desire, but there was something else behind it that was unfamiliar. Buffy decided that she didn’t want to look in his eyes anymore and instead grabbed him by the back of the head and kissed him. After a moment, Spike responded and pulled her into him. When they broke the kiss, Spike was smiling at her.

“So there’s kissing, now? No more ‘your way.‘”

“Still ‘my way.’ Tonight there’s kissing.” She pulled him in for a deeper tongue-down-throat kiss, then pulled away. “Questions?”

~~~~

Spike propped himself up on his elbow and turned toward her as she laid beside him and caught her breath. Stay with me stay with me stay with me, he tried to communicate to her telepathically. She looked out the small window on the other side of the crypt.

“Almost dawn,” she sighed.

“Red gonna be worried about you?”

“No. She’s been spending a lot of time in the library. Actually, I think that she’s met somebody. She’s been all evasive-girl, lately.”

Buffy sat up, and Spike started searching for the right words. Anything that could make her stay. She jumped off the sarcophagus and started looking for her clothes. He decided to not try and be suave.

“You could stay. It’s Sunday - no classes.”

“I don’t think so.”

“You can’t tell me that meant nothing, Buffy. I mean, you even stopped biting me that last time.”

She finished getting dressed and walked over to him. “I’m not a robot, Spike. I’m not unfeeling.” She let out a big sigh and took his hand. “I really enjoy this. I love the way you make me feel. I love what your hands can do to me. But why are you trying so hard with this? This is what it is. I’m not looking for a boyfriend.”

Spike sat up and cupped her chin in his hand. “I don’t want to be your boyfriend, Buffy. I just want to be in your life.”

“I’m sorry, Spike. I just don’t see that happening.”

He let go of her and found the blanket on the floor. “I’ll see what I can do about getting a bed in here,” he didn’t look for her reaction, just covered himself, and laid back down. “For next time.”

Buffy watched him for a moment. “Thanks.” She started out, then stopped and turned around, “Spike.”

“Yeah.”

“Patrol with me.”

Spike sat up. “What?”

“Work with me. Come out on patrols. You’re an amazing fighter. I could use you on my side.”

“How are your Scoobies gonna feel about that?”

“Let me worry about the Scooby gang.”

Spike felt William screaming to get to the surface. He smiled. “Is this what I get?”

“This is what you get.”

“Okay. See you tonight.”

~~~~

“Who’s going to what?!” Xander did his predicable freak out. “Spike? Patrol? Are you out of your mind?!”

“Listen, Xander, Spike’s a good fighter. He’s willing to do this and I’m going to accept his help.”

“But, why? What’s in it for him? I mean, he’s not doing it out of the pure evilness of his heart, I’m guessing.”

“He’s doing it cause he’s bored. When he gets tired of working with me, I’m sure he’ll move on.”

“But-”

“Now, Xander, Buffy has a point here,” Giles started cleaning his glasses. “He is a good fighter, and as long as he’s on our side, he can be very helpful. But, Buffy, I don’t trust him. Why do you?”

“It’s nothing I can explain, Giles. I’ve had some opportunities to talk to him. You have to trust me that …I trust him.”

“As you wish, Buffy.”

“No, no, no - this is not good. I see no good in this.”

“Xander, we’re moving on.”

~~~~

The next few weeks, Buffy and Spike developed a routine. They met at his crypt or outside her dorm and usually canvassed three or four graveyards. On nights when she didn’t have any excessive studying to do or have an early class the next day, she stayed at his place for a few hours. He managed to find a bed for her (actually he found the old four-poster one he and Harmony shared sitting unused in the old cave), and set it up in a cavern he discovered under the crypt. And every once in a while, Buffy would fall asleep afterward and wouldn’t leave until morning. These were his best nights. Also, the sex, he had to admit, was getting really fun. She brought all sorts of ideas into his bed and they did some things that even Drusilla had never attempted. But there was always one central theme to everything they tried - the Slayer was in control. Any time he made any kind of first move or put her in any kind of submissive position, she would get angry and hit him or just walk out before they started.

Only Spike’s demon could survive sex with the Slayer. On the nights that she would stay over, though, he allowed William to come out and watch her sleep. William would brush her hair off her face and stroke her cheek. He would remember the casual conversations they had while patrolling. Buffy would prattle on about school and her friends, and usually Spike would just let her ramble, knowing that she really wasn’t telling him anything worthwhile. She was just filling the time. But William would perk up if she started talking about what she was reading for her literature class, or the challenges she was having writing a particular paper. And every so often, he would say something to make her laugh. Buffy had a joyful laugh. When she wasn’t holding back, her laugh would fill the night, and William would be overcome with pride and satisfaction that he could make her feel that way.

But then, later that night, while they were entwined in each others’ arms, he would feel her teeth sink into his skin and he’d know that the Buffy he was falling in love with was nowhere to be found. He never got to make love to Buffy. He was just having sex with the Slayer. And her never really figured out why she kept biting him. However, it really wasn’t something he wanted to complain about. Whenever he felt the pop of his skin being broken and smelled his own blood, he got such a sexual rush, that he would come instantly. It also gave him a faint sense of blood pumping. His blood. The Slayer would bite and then suck and lick the blood that flowed. When she did, he could almost feel his veins pulsating toward the wound to give her more.

~~~~

His heart was beginning to ache. They had been doing this for a couple months now, and nothing had changed. Except his feelings. Every night when he saw her his heart would jump with a mix of joy (another evening with my Slayer!) and fear (after which she will walk away from me without looking back). He was in love with her. Bloody hell. There was no denying it any more. She may not have let him into her heart all the way, but he was able to see what was in it anyway. She was an incredibly strong woman. She was happy most of the time and confident and intelligent and honorable and proud and loyal. And as far as he could tell, the only lie she ever told was to her friends about their relationship. She never lied to him. Even about how she felt about him. It’s only about sex. She has a control over him that excites her. And he knows this.

~~~~

It was any other night. They fought a demon that night. I big ugly Gnorock demon that took some serious pummeling to take down. When they finally got it weak enough, Spike was able to jump on it’s back and twist its head to break its neck. By the time they got back to the Spike‘s place, they were both too exhausted to move. They tumbled down to the lower crypt and fell on the bed.

“Wanna have sex?” Buffy mumbled into the pillow.

“Sure,” Spike lay on his back and flung his arm onto her, landing on her lower back.

“This is all kinds of fun.”

They fell asleep.

Spike awoke to the Slayer licking his neck. She was sucking on the numerous bite wounds that had healed over themselves, leaving a couple of fine white scars over his jugular.

“Hey, vampire. You all rested?” she cooed in his ear when he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her tighter. He got hard immediately. His demon would always roar to the surface when she called him ‘vampire.’ He rolled over on her and kissed her hard, hoping she would consider the first move already to have been made. She responded in kind, and he moved quickly to remove their clothes.

When they were both naked and he had tossed her panties on the ground, he was able to run his cool hands over her glistening body. He looked her in the eyes and asked, “What can I do for you, baby?”

Buffy gently took his hand in hers and brought it to her mouth. She brushed his fingers along her lips while wetting them at the same time. When she brought her tongue back into her mouth, she pulled one of his fingers along with it. She sucked on his finger and danced around it with her tongue. Spike let out a moan when her other hand suddenly appeared on his hard cock and started stroking.

“You like that?” she purred.

“I love when you touch me,” Spike answered.

Buffy ran her thumb over the pre-cum at his tip and used it to moisten his shaft as she continued to move her hand along his long hard dick. At the same time, she glided his wet finger from her mouth down her neck, between her breasts, and across her stomach until she was able to press it to her clit which had grown hard and large. She removed her hand and he took over from there. Having done this numerous times, he knew what she liked.

Spike flicked his finger across her nub making Buffy gasp in a couple quick breaths of air. Then he moved his hand down slightly and teased her by rubbing his fingers along her outer then inner lips.

Buffy muffled a string of words that made him want to come immediately. “Yeah, touch me, oh god, love, fuck, in me, now, baby, fuck, Spike, oh, yeah, fuck, god, god.”

Spike grabbed her hand on his cock to slow her down so he could keep the moment going. He plunged three fingers into her hard and fast and she cried out.

“Spike!”

He pumped his fingers into her and rubbed her clit with his thumb while watching her face. He had no idea if she knew that he did this, but looking at her closely when she came was the most beautiful thing he would ever see. She would close her eyes, but never squeeze them shut tight. As tight as her muscles would get throughout her whole body, they always seemed to stay relaxed and calm in her face. She would open her mouth slightly and let out little short breaths and then the grunts would start to come from the back of her throat. He wanted her to look like that for the rest of her life and he wanted to be the only one to make it happen.

Love me love me love me love me, he screamed at her with his mind while she moaned and stroked him.

Then she said something to him that he was sure made his heart pitter-patter for a moment.

“Fuck me now, baby.” The last time she used those words was when she was mystically in love with him during the witch’s spell.

Spike crawled on top of her and coaxed one of her legs onto his shoulder. He grabbed his cock and held it against her wetness, rubbing it up and down her opening.

“You want this?” he teased.

“Now, now, fuck, Spike, fuck me.”

“No,” Spike told her harshly, and her eyes flew open and glared at him.

“Now!” She hissed at him.

He stared back at her and started rubbing her clit with his thumb again with the rest of his hand still on his dick which was twitching by now, needing its own release.

Buffy grabbed his neck with both hands and bore her fingernails into the back of it. Spike felt a few of drops of blood start to seep out and he thrust into her hard and deep.

Spike kept his eyes focused on her face as he pumped into her, not wanting to miss a moment of her pleasure. When he felt his release was imminent and he knew that she was approaching her third orgasm, he leaned forward and positioned his neck at her mouth. She brought her lips up to his cold veins and sucked on her mark. They both came with guttural noises, and Spike collapsed on her with a shutter. It took him a minute to notice that she hadn’t bitten him.

He was overcome with fear and disappointment. Her bites were the one thing he could really count on. There were times that she hadn’t sunk her teeth into him, but he discovered that was usually after they had mated three or four times in one night. He figured that she was giving his swollen skin a rest at those times.

But this was their first time tonight. He came to count on that bite. He needed it. Though he wasn’t quite sure why. His worry suddenly consumed him. Was it because she was getting tired of him? Did she honestly not feel like it that time? Or, and this was the one he was most hopeful for, was her need to control him finally fading.

He slowly rolled over onto the bed and sat up leaning against the headboard. Buffy scooted up next to him and laid her head against his chest. He ran his fingers through her silky hair and kissed the top of her head. He wondered if it ever bothered her that she couldn’t feel a heartbeat through his chest. He consciously took a deep breath hoping that the move would make her forget she was laying against a dead person.

As they continued to lay there, he felt a wave of contentment flow through him. He could sense William start to burn in his core and was somehow starting to feel warm. He hoped that Buffy could feel the heat coming from inside him. William couldn’t hold his emotions in any longer.

“I love you, Buffy,” he ventured. “I will always love you.”

He kissed the top of her head again. Buffy took in a deep breath. She didn’t move for several minutes, and he began to relax more and even start to fall asleep. Just when he was beginning to dream, he felt Buffy get up. He opened his eyes and watched her gather her clothes and get dressed. Without saying a word or looking back at him, she walked out.

William’s heart sank, and Spike began screaming at himself for being so stupid.


To be continued...