Chapter 10

Everyone left a few hours later and Spike walked them all to the door. Xander was left with Spike when everyone walked out of the house. "I like that girl, Spike. Hold on to her." He said as he left the house. Spike shook his head and smiled as he closed the door and headed back to the living room where he found Buffy asleep on the couch with Amanda resting her head in her lap. Spike smiled at the display, he has never seen a better sight before. He bent down to whisper in Amanda's ear.

"Time for someone to go to bed." He said when he saw her move and open her eyes.

"Hi, daddy. Is the party over?" Spike brushed her hair out of her face.

"Yeah, princess. The party's over." Amanda moved off of Buffy's lap which caused the other girl to wake up also. She wiped her eyes and looked up at Spike.

"Sorry, didn't mean to fall asleep." Spike gave her a smile.

"Don't worry about it. You can stay there while I put Amanda to bed." He told her.

"I want Buffy to put me to bed." The child said in a quiet voice and Buffy was a little surprised.

"Of course, if Buffy wants to." Spike replied and Buffy nodded as she picked Amanda up and headed to her room. Spike watched her from the doorway as she lay the child on her bed and covered her up, kissing her on the top of the forehead.

"Goodnight, honey. Sweet dreams, okay?" She whispered to her. Amanda nodded and looked at Buffy with her big, blue eyes.

"I love you." The girl whispered as she let out a yawn and Buffy tried not to cry.

"I love you, too." She replied as Amanda closed her eyes and was soon asleep. She stood up and headed back to the door and saw Spike standing there staring at her. He had a look of awe on his face after hearing what his daughter said. He moved out of the way, so Buffy could leave the room and close the door behind her. She gave him a smile and headed back to the living room. Spike smiled at her retreating form.

"You're bloody amazing, you know that?" Buffy looked at him a little surprised by what he said. She blushed and looked away.

"I'm nothing special." He walked over to her and put his finger under her chin to raise her head, so she would look at him again.

"You are, Buffy. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Buffy nodded and he then decided to say what he has been wanting to say. "I know that you have been having problems with your father and I want you to know that I'm here, if you decide that you want to talk." Buffy looked into his eyes and saw that he was being sincere.

"Thank you, but I'm okay. I've dealt with him for the past 18 years, I can handle it." Spike nodded even though he wasn't sure about that.

"Has it always been that bad?" Buffy shook her head.

"Not always, he wasn't so bad when I was little. It's when I got older that things got really bad. He just drinks a lot and has a pretty bad temper. I try to stay out of his way as best I could." She explained.

"What about your mother?" Buffy looked away for a second and then back at him.

"I never really knew my mother. She died when I was a baby. I guess I have something in common with Amanda. I always felt that I could relate to her." Spike nodded.

"I'm sorry about that, pet." Buffy nodded also and took something out of her pocket.

"All I have is this picture of her that I always keep with me. I take it wherever I go. I guess you could say it's a good luck charm." She told him as she showed him the picture.

"She was very beautiful, you look just like her." He said and she smiled as she put the picture back in her pocket.

"I was looking at some of the pictures that you have around here and I really like this one." Buffy said as she went to retrieve the picture and show him which one she was talking about. "Was this your wife?" He looked at the picture and smiled as he saw the face of the woman in the photo. She had long, black hair and she was wearing a white gown.

"Yeah, that's my Drusilla. This happens to be a favorite of mine." Buffy smiled and looked at the picture again.

"She's very pretty. Has that whole dark, mysterious thing going on for her." Spike laughed at that.

"Yeah, that was what drew me to her in the first place." He said as he put the picture back. "I just really wish I could give Amanda everything, but the one thing I can't seem to give her is a mother. She's constantly asking for one and I don't know what to do. The dating thing isn't working; I have yet to find anyone that would give her a chance. They don't even want to get to know her." Buffy shook her head.

"People can be so stupid sometimes. All they would have to do is take one look at your daughter and they would fall in love with her. I know I have. I know how much she wants a mother because I always have and it's not something that you ever get over. I believe things will get better though. You're a good person and a good father and I know that you'll find someone that sees that as much as I do. It's only a matter of time before the right woman comes along, one that will accept your daughter as much as she accepts you." Spike looked at her the whole time during her speech. She didn't even realize that she just described herself. He shook that thought off. As much as he might care for her, he couldn't get involved with one of his students. It wouldn't be right. She was six years younger than him and had a whole life ahead of her, but what he wouldn't give to spend the rest of his life with this girl. She was perfect and she would make a wonderful mother for Amanda. He was confused and didn't know what to do. All he knew was that he was falling hard for this woman and he didn't think he would ever be able to stop.