Chapter 12

Xander was over at Spike's house the next day because Spike needed someone to talk to. "I don't know what to do. Do you think I'm a bad person to be having these thoughts about her?" He asked his friend and Xander shook his head.

"I don't think so, Spike. She's a sweet girl and she's cute. You're only six years older, that's not so bad." Spike nodded.

"It's not really about the age. It's just the fact that she's one of my students. If we got involved and someone at the school found out, I could lose my job and who knows what would happen to her." Xander put his hand on his friend's shoulder.

"You need to calm down, man. She'll graduate soon. You could just wait until then." Spike rubbed his eyes.

"I know, but that's four months away. You really think she'll stay single for that long? God, why did this have to happen? I have been trying to find Amanda a mother for the last five years and after all that time of bad dating, I finally find the one that I can spend the rest of my life with and would be a perfect mother for Amanda. She just had to be one of my students. Who would have known that the person I was looking for the whole time would have been in high school." Xander was surprised.

"You're really into her, aren't you?" Spike nodded and looked serious.

"I haven't felt this way since Dru. I never thought I could feel this way again. I just wish things could be easier." Xander nodded.

"I'm not so great with the advice, but I'm gonna give it a try. Buffy is a really great girl, anyone can see that. I'm not telling you what to do, but if you really care for her you have to forget about what could be wrong with it and think about what could be right. All I'm saying is that you have to follow your heart, Spike. What does your heart want?" Spike looked away from Xander for a moment and then back at him.

"My heart wants Buffy. I'm in love with her." Xander smiled at him.

"Then that's all you need." Spike returned his smile.

"Thanks, mate. You're better at this advice stuff than you think." Xander shrugged.

"Well, I try. Are you gonna tell Buffy how you feel?" Spike thought about it and then nodded.

"I guess I have to. Do you think she'll be freaked by it?" Xander shook his head.

"I don't think so. I have a feeling that girl may feel the same way." Spike smiled at that.

"I hope so." They both talked some more and watched some TV when Spike heard a knock on the door. He got up to get it to see Buffy standing there with a nasty black eye. "God, what happened?" He asked her as he grabbed her hand and pulled her inside.

"I made him mad." Was all she said and Spike tilted her head to get a better look at the bruise. She winced a little and he pulled his hand away when Xander showed up and saw her.

"Ouch, are you okay?" He asked her and all she did was nod.

"Xander, can you get her an icepack?" Spike asked and Xander nodded as he went into the kitchen while Spike led Buffy into the living room and sat her down on the couch. Xander came back with the icepack and handed it to Spike who gently put it on her eye. "Hold that there for a bit, it'll make it feel better." She did as she was told.

"I'll go check on Amanda." Xander told them, so he could give them some privacy. He walked away and Spike turned his attention back to Buffy.

"What happened?" He asked again and she sighed and removed the icepack.

"I talked back to him; I've never done that before. I actually surprised myself. Let's just say he doesn't like to be talked back to." Spike shook his head.

"Bastard, I don't understand how anyone can hurt their own children. He has no right to hit you." Buffy shrugged.

"He thinks he does." Spike took her hand and looked into her eyes.

"I want you to stay here, Buffy. At least for a little while until your father is dealt with. I have an extra room that no one uses. I can't let you go back there." Buffy was surprised by what he said.

"I don't think I have a choice. I shouldn't have even gotten you involved in this. You have enough to deal with and you don't need me to cause problems for you." Spike shook his head.

"You're not causing problems; I just want to help you." He said as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear like he sometimes would do for Amanda. Buffy thought about it and nodded.

"I don't have any of my stuff here." She told him.

"Okay, I'll take you back to your house to get some of your things. I want to have a word with your father anyway." Buffy shook her head.

"I don't think that's a good idea. If he was mad before he'll be even worse when he finds out I told someone, especially a teacher." She stated.

"It's okay; I won't let him hurt you again. You're safe with me." Buffy nodded and for the first time in her life, she did feel safe.

"Okay," she said and Spike smiled and placed the icepack back on her eye.

"Hold it there a bit longer." She nodded and then Xander came back out followed by Amanda. She saw Buffy there and ran over to her.

"Buffy!" She exclaimed as she hugged her and Buffy hugged her back.

"Hey, sweetie. It's good to see you, too." Amanda then pulled away and looked at her.

"What happened to your face?" She asked her and Buffy didn't know what to tell her when Spike spoke up.

"Buffy had a little accident, princess. Daddy's going to help her out with it, so she'll be staying with us for a while. Would that be okay with you?" That brought a huge smile to the little girl's face.

"Yeah!" She exclaimed as she hugged Buffy again. Spike then picked her up and hugged her to him as he kissed her hair. Hearing about what Buffy had to go through with her dad, he had the urge to show his daughter how much he loved her. Buffy watched them and she felt sad at the display and she then felt the tears start to form in her eyes. Spike put Amanda down and looked at Xander.

"I have to take care of something, mate. Can you watch her for me?" Xander nodded and then took Amanda's hand and led her back into her room. Spike looked back at Buffy and noticed that she was crying. He walked over to her and sat down. "Hey, what's wrong?" He asked as he wiped some of her tears away. She looked up at him.

"I just wish I had a dad like you." She said as she started to cry harder. Spike really felt for her as he put his arm around her and pulled her closer. He held her as she continued to cry.