Chapter 13

Buffy got to her house and hesitated before she took out her key and opened the door. She really hoped her father wasn't around. They both walked into the house as quietly as they could. Buffy looked at Spike. "Wait here, I'm just going to get a few things and I'll be right back." She whispered to him and he nodded as she walked upstairs. Spike looked around as he waited for her and he didn't see her dad anywhere, maybe he was out for the night. Buffy came back a little while later with a small bag over her shoulder. They were at the door when they heard an angry voice behind them.

"Where do you think you're going and who the hell are you?" He asked looking at Buffy and then Spike. Buffy seemed scared and Spike stood in front of her as he glared at the man.

"I'm William Atherton, Buffy's English teacher and I'm taking her out of here." The man seemed even angrier at that.

"You think I'm just gonna let you take my own daughter out of here?" Spike cringed; he could tell this man was drunk.

"I don't care if you let me or not because no matter what you do, she's coming with me. You're not much of a father. She came to me sporting that black eye that you gave her and there's no way I'm letting her stay here with you after that." Spike said his voice starting to rise.

"Who the hell do you think you are? You can't tell me how to raise my own kid." Spike was trying very hard not to hit the man as he tried to keep his temper under control.

"She's not a kid. She's a beautiful young woman, but you wouldn't know anything about that. She deserves so much more than you and I'm going to give her that. You're her father for crying out loud and I care about her more than you do. What does that say about you, mate?" Buffy gave a small smile at his declaration and she noticed that her dad seemed to be at a loss for words for once. Spike didn't wait for him to say anything else; he grabbed Buffy's hand and opened the door pulling her out of the house. They were walking away when they heard him yell after them.

"You won't get away with this! You can't keep her from me!" They didn't even turn around to look at him as they got in Spike's car and drove away.


* * * * *


They walked into Spike's house a few minutes later and Spike showed her to the guestroom where she put her bag down. "I know it's not much, but I hope it will do anyway." Buffy smiled at him.

"It's perfect, thank you. I really mean that. Thank you for everything." She said as she hugged him. Spike seemed surprised at first and then wrapped his arms around her.

"Don't mention it." He said. "You should get some rest, pet. I'm gonna check on Xander and Amanda." He pulled away and she nodded. He closed her door and rested his head on it for a few seconds before he walked into the living room and found Xander asleep on his couch. He tapped him on his shoulder and Xander woke up with a start before he realized where he was.

"Hey, how'd it go?" He asked as he rubbed his eyes.

"Fine, Buffy's staying in the guestroom." Xander sat up and looked at him.

"Do you think this is a good idea? Having to take care of someone else." Spike nodded.

"I just want to keep her safe. It's not like she's another kid that I have to look after. Buffy's an adult and like you said, she'll be graduating soon." Xander agreed.

"Yeah, I just hope you know what you're getting yourself into. It might be kinda hard to avoid temptation with her living in the same house with you." Spike shook his head.

"I don't want to avoid it. I told you I'm going to tell her how I feel. I just have to wait for the right time. Get everything settled with her father first." Xander nodded and stood up.

"Right, well I guess I can go now. Let me know how everything works out." Spike nodded also as he walked Xander to the door. After he left, Spike headed to his daughter's room and opened the door a little to see that she was sound asleep. He smiled and then headed to Buffy's room; he knocked on the door and then walked in to see her sitting up in bed.

"Hey, shouldn't you be sleeping?" She smiled at him as he sat down on the bed.

"I was just thinking." He ran his fingers through her hair without even thinking about it.

"What about?" Buffy shrugged.

"Just stuff, I can't believe I had the guts to walk out like that. I wouldn't have been able to do that without you." Spike smiled at her.

"I'm sure you would have. You're a strong person, Buffy. I've always seen it." Buffy then decided to take a risk. She leaned closer to him and captured his lips with hers. He was confused and surprised at first, but then started to kiss her back. They were like that until they both needed to breathe. Spike pulled away first and couldn't believe that she actually kissed him.

"Was that okay?" She said quietly, unsure if he wanted to kiss her or not. He just gave her a smile.

"It was more than okay, it was perfect." He said as he kissed her again and he knew that he had to leave before he went any further than that. He wanted to take things slowly and make it last. He rested his head on hers and sighed. "Get some sleep; I'll be in the next room if you need anything." Buffy nodded and then lay down. Spike tucked her in like he would his daughter and kissed her on the head. "Sweet dreams, princess." He said to her. She smiled and soon drifted off to sleep. Spike watched her for a few minutes and then left, closing the door behind him. He headed to his room with a smile on his face. He knew he would definitely sleep better now.