Chapter 17

Buffy and Spike were sitting on the couch talking a little while later, when the phone rang. Spike got up to get it and Buffy couldn’t hear what he was saying. He hung up and came back over to her and she wondered what happened, but she didn’t have to wonder for long. “That was Faith. They went to your house to find your father passed out from drinking. They took him in and I have a feeling he’ll be locked up for quite some time.” Buffy felt relieved by that.

“So, it’s finally over?” Spike nodded and sat back down next to her.

“Yeah, I told you everything would work out.” He said as he put his arm around her and she rested her head on his chest. They sat there in silence and Spike was just watching her, he was nervous about what he had to ask her and hoped that it would go okay. He was about to say something, when Amanda walked into the living room and came over to them. Spike pulled her to him and placed her on his lap. Buffy sat up and watched him. “Shouldn’t you be sleeping?” He asked his daughter.

“I can’t sleep; I wanna stay out here with you.” Spike kissed her on the forehead.

“Okay, only for a little while.” They sat in silence for a few minutes, when Amanda reached over to Buffy and she then pulled her onto her lap.

“Did you want to tell me something?” She asked the girl, when she saw the look on her face and Amanda seemed to be more shy than usual as she looked at Buffy.

“Can you be my mommy?” Buffy was surprised by what she said and Spike looked just as surprised.

“Oh, sweetie. I would love to be your mommy, but from what I hear you had a wonderful mommy and I couldn’t take her place.” She then looked upset.

“I never knew my mommy, I want you.” Amanda said as she hugged her and Buffy tried not to cry, she looked at Spike and noticed that he wasn’t holding his tears back. Buffy wanted nothing more then to be the mother to this child and to be with Spike, but she was so young and still in high school and she didn’t think she would be able to handle the responsibility. She was afraid of messing up. Spike wiped at his eyes and finally found his voice.

“Amanda, why don’t you go to your room and try to get some sleep? I need to talk to Buffy.” Amanda looked at him and then back at Buffy, before she ran to her room. Spike took a deep breath and looked at Buffy. “I’m sorry; I had no idea she would ask that.” Buffy smiled at him.

“It’s okay, it felt good actually. Being wanted, I’m not used to that.” Spike held her hand; he knew that he had to ask her now.

“Buffy, would you consider it? Being Amanda’s mother I mean.” Buffy didn’t think he would ask that.

“Well, I have thought about it. I mean I love her as if she was my own, but I think I would be too afraid of messing up. I’m only 18, definitely not mother material. I can hardly take care of myself.” Spike nodded.

“I never thought I was father material either, but I actually think I did okay. I know you would be great, Buffy. We can learn together because I still have a lot to learn also.” Buffy didn’t know what to think.

“Spike, what are you saying?” Spike then took something out of his pocket and kneeled down in front of her.

“I mean that you are what I have been looking for all these years. I love you and I know that you’re the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. You would be so good for Amanda and me. I guess what I’m trying to say is...Will you marry me?” Spike then opened up the box that he was holding to reveal a beautiful ring. Buffy tried not to cry as she looked at it and then back at him.

“God, it’s so beautiful. I never expected this. We were just joking about marriage in the hospital; I never thought you would have actually bought a ring. I love you, but I’m still in high school and this is all going so fast.” She said as the tears started to fall down her face.

“I know, but I’m not talking about anytime soon. I just want you to wear it, so you would know that your heart belonged to someone. We could get married after you’re done with college, if you want. I’ll wait for as long as you need to, Buffy.” He explained to her.

“I don’t know what to say.” She said as she wiped at her eyes.

“Just say yes and make me the happiest man on earth.” He said, waiting for her answer. She then smiled at him which made him feel better.

“Yes, of course I'll marry you.” Spike smiled also as he took the ring out and placed it on her finger to see that it fit perfectly. He then hugged her like his life depended on it. Buffy held on to him, afraid to let go. She couldn’t believe that this was happening to her. For the first time in her life, she had a real family and she would do whatever she could to keep them.