Chapter 2

Spike was in his classroom on his first day at Sunnydale High. He was waiting for the bell to ring before he began. He already noticed a lot of the young girls checking him out and he felt a bit flattered by that. Spike also heard some girls talking about how cool it was that their new English teacher also happened to be English. He just smiled at that and continued with the paperwork on his desk when the bell finally rang. He looked up and saw a packed classroom and stood up to introduce himself. “Hello all. I'm Mr. Atherton, but that makes me feel old, so why don’t you all just call me Spike.” He heard some girls giggling at that and one blonde girl in the back raised her hand. Spike pointed to her. “Yeah, what’s your name?” She put her hand down and gave him a cheery smile.

“I’m Harmony and I was wondering where you got the name Spike. I think it really suits you.” The girls laughed and Spike blushed a little at the comment and then got back to the point as he picked up his roll sheet and looked at it.

“Well, Ms. Kendall it’s just a nickname that was given to me in high school and I stuck with it. I guess you could say I got it because of the hair.” He said as he pointed to the top of his head. Harmony nodded at that and he looked at the rest of the class. “Are there anymore questions?” With that almost all the girls raised their hands. Spike shook his head and smiled. “Why don’t we save that for later. Okay, when I call your name let me know that you’re here.” He said as he began roll call. He was almost finished when the door to the room opened and another young, blonde girl walked in. She was clutching books to her chest and looked to not be watching where she was going as she suddenly tripped and fell down, her books going everywhere. Everyone burst into laughter and some into applause at the clumsy girl. She looked really embarrassed and Spike felt for her as he kneeled down in front of her and helped her with her books. “You okay, love?” He asked and she looked up at him and nodded.

“Yeah, I’m sorry I’m late. I overslept.” Spike nodded also and helped her up, handing her the books back.

“That’s fine; it’s my first day so I’ll let it slide. What’s your name?” The girl pushed a strand of hair that fell out of her messy ponytail behind her ear.

“Buffy,” she said and Spike looked at his roll sheet again and then back at her.

“Well, Ms. Summers just take a seat and try to make it on time from now on.” Buffy nodded as she walked by him and found her seat in the back next to a red headed girl. Some of the girls were still laughing as she walked by.

“Graceful much.” Harmony said as the girls around her giggled. Buffy then slouched down in her chair hoping that they would forget she was there. Spike got back to where he left off and he put the roll sheet down when he was finished.

“Alright, why don’t we all turn to page 47 in your text and we’ll begin our lesson in poetry.” The guys groaned and the girls sighed as they continued to stare at their hot new teacher. The bell rang an hour later and everyone closed their books and got up to leave. “Have a good day and I’ll see you all tomorrow.” Spike told them as the guys hurried to leave the room while the girls took a bit longer. He heard Harmony whisper to her friends as they left the classroom.

“This will definitely be an interesting year.” She told them as they laughed and followed her out of the room. Spike smiled again and went back to the paperwork on his desk. Buffy gathered her books and walked out of the class with her best friend at her side.

“Are you doing okay?” The red head asked her once they were clear of the classroom.

“Yeah, I should be used to my clumsy antics by now. That was so embarrassing, Willow. Not only do I come in late, but I trip in front of the class like a total loser.” Willow put her arm around her friend.

“It wasn’t so bad.” She said as Buffy gave her a look. “Okay, all I’m saying is that it could have been worse.” Buffy agreed as they continued to walk. “Well, the new teacher seems pretty cool. Younger then most of the teachers at this school.” Willow said to change the subject.

“Yeah, I guess.” Buffy said and Willow could tell that she was in her own world and probably wasn’t really paying attention.

“So, you overslept?” Willow asked changing the subject again. Buffy looked at her.

“Yeah, I must have forgotten to set the alarm again.” Willow nodded accepting her answer, even though a part of her didn’t really believe her friend. Buffy then stopped and slapped her hand to her forehead. “Crap, I forgot my Math book in the class. I had it under my desk. Great, now I have to go back to get it and be late to another class. This is a good day.” Buffy stated sarcastically.

“It’s alright, Buffy. I’ll just see you at lunch, okay?” Buffy nodded as Willow walked away. She then turned and walked in the other direction back to her English class.