Chapter 3

Buffy walked back to her English class and opened the door a little to see her teacher pacing behind his desk with a cell phone to his ear. She walked in as quietly as she could hoping not to disturb him. "I don't know if this is such a good idea. You know I hate blind dates, Xander. They never go well. I know you all think that I should get out there and start dating again, but I've tried and I got burned every time they would find out about Amanda." Buffy continued to listen to the conversation and hoped that he wouldn't be mad that she was eavesdropping. Spike then turned around and caught her standing by the door watching him. He just motioned for her to come in and held up a finger letting her know that he would be with her in a second. She walked in more as he got back to his conversation. "No, I'm not going to lie. I'm not going to hide the fact that I have a daughter. Alright, I'll go on this one date just so you'll stop bothering me about it, but there's still Amanda. I don't have anyone that can watch her." He stopped to listen a bit more and then continued. "I guess Tara mentioned that to you. I don't know about a babysitter. It's hard to trust a complete stranger with my daughter. You know how shy she is around new people. She might think I was abandoning her or something." Spike put his hand on his head as he continued to listen to his friend on the other line. "Okay, I'll make some calls and see what I can do." Spike turned his gaze back on Buffy who was just standing there patiently. She didn't know why she didn't just get her book and leave without bothering him, but for some reason she couldn't seem to move. "Yeah, I have to go now. I'll talk to you later." He said as he hung up the phone and put it in his pocket as he looked at Buffy. "Sorry about that, pet. Was there something you wanted?" Buffy nodded.

"I didn't mean to interrupt. I just forgot my book at my desk." He nodded also.

"That's quite alright. Looks like your book is still there." He told her when he noticed she wasn't moving.

"Oh, right. I'll just get it now." She said as she went to retrieve her book and then walked back over to him. She realized that the classroom was empty. "Is this one of your free periods?" She asked him and he nodded.

"Yeah, I only teach four classes a day. How did I do by the way? I've never taught older kids before." Buffy smiled at him.

"Oh, you did very well. You're really great with poetry, you must really love it." Spike nodded and returned her smile.

"It's always been a passion of mine. What about you?" Buffy nodded also.

"Yeah, ever since I was younger. I love Shakespeare." Spike smiled at her again.

"He's one of my favorites, too." He told her.

"I love Romeo and Juliet. I've seen the Dicaprio version like a million times." She realized she was rambling and she knew she did that when she was nervous. He only smiled at her.

"I must have missed that one." Buffy nodded and then she got an idea as she thought back to his phone conversation, she figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

"Mr. Atherton, can I ask you something?" Spike nodded.

"You can ask me anything and please call me Spike. Mr. Atherton is my father." She smiled at that even though she thought it was a bit weird to call a teacher Spike.

"Okay, Spike. I couldn't help but listen to your conversation and I was wondering if it would be okay if I could maybe watch your daughter for you. You know if you can't get anyone else or anything." Spike's eyes lit up at her suggestion.

"That's really generous of you, but you don't have to do that just because I'm your teacher." Buffy shook her head.

"No, I want to. It would give me something to do." She replied.

"Do you have any experience with kids?" She shrugged a little.

"I'm an only child, but I have babysat for a few kids in my neighborhood. I've been told I'm pretty good." Spike smiled at that.

"Are you available tomorrow night?" Buffy nodded.

"Yeah, I only have homework and that never takes me too long. What time would be good?" She asked him.

"How about 7:30?" Buffy nodded again.

"That would be fine." Spike then grabbed a paper and a pen off of his desk and wrote his address and phone number on it and gave it to her.

"7:30 it is. You can call me if you happen to get lost or anything." Buffy looked at the paper and then back at him.

"I'm sure it will be no trouble." She told him.

"You are saving my life here, thank you." He told her and she blushed a little.

"It's nothing; you just seemed pretty frantic on the phone. It really sounded like you needed the help. So, how old is your daughter?" She asked him.

"She's 5 and don't worry, I'm sure she won't be any trouble. Amanda is very well behaved. How much are you willing to go for?" He asked her and she shrugged.

"It doesn't matter, however much you see fit." Spike gave her another smile.

"What was your name again?" He said.

"It's Buffy." She told him again.

"Right, Buffy Summers. The tardy girl." Buffy looked down feeling embarrassed and then back at him.

"I'm sorry again; I guess I make a habit of that sometimes. I'm really trying to break it. I'm sure my graceful display didn't help any and probably would make you scared to leave your daughter in my care, but I really will take good care of her. That's something I can be really good at." She told him.

"I have no doubts. Don't worry about what happened. It happens to the best of us." He told her with a smile and she returned it when she then noticed what time it was.

"It looks like I'm really late to my next class now. Sorry, doesn't look like I'm breaking this habit anytime soon." Spike laughed at that and took a pass off of his desk and wrote something on it and handed it to her.

"Here you go. Now get to your class and try to be on time in the future. Thank you again for agreeing to do this." Buffy nodded and looked at the paper and noticed that it was a late pass.

"Thanks," she said as she looked back at him and then headed to the door. "I'll see you tomorrow." He nodded as she left the classroom and Spike pulled his cell phone back out. He was glad to finally get that babysitter thing out of the way, now he just had to worry about the blind date that his friend set him up for.