Chapter 5

Spike was getting a headache. He went all through the dinner without bringing up the fact that he had a kid. He knew he would have to mention it soon. He looked at the woman across from him and realized that she seemed like a decent enough bird. She was very attractive with long, dark hair and a bit talkative. He hardly got any words out, but he knew he had to come clean about his daughter. "Cordelia, there's something you need to know." He thought that would be a safe way to start the conversation. She put her glass of water down and looked at him.

"Sorry, was I talking too much? I tend to do that sometimes." Spike smiled at her.

"No, it's fine. I just have to tell you something before this goes any further." He told her.

"Oh my god! You're gay, aren't you?" Spike looked appalled.

"No, of course not. Do I look gay to you?" He asked suddenly wondering.

"Well, there is that hair which first tipped me off that you might play for the other team. Then I saw you stare at my chest, so I felt a lot better and just figured you were having a bad hair day." Spike looked embarrassed and decided to let that hair comment go.

"Oh, you saw that did you?" Cordelia rolled her eyes.

"Please, like I don't know when some guy is checking out the goods. It happens everywhere I go, not that I mind or anything." Spike then felt a little better and continued with what he was trying to say.

"I'm not gay, love. What I wanted to say was that I have a daughter and I think it's important that you know that." Cordelia's eyes grew big at that.

"Oh, I didn't realize that. I mean Xander never said anything. Crap, look at the time." She said as she glanced at her watch. "I didn't know it was so late. I just remembered that I have to do something, so I'm gonna go." She said as she stood up.

"Right, you have a good night." Spike told her.

"Yeah, same to you." She replied before she walked away. Spike sighed as he watched her go.

"Didn't see that one coming." He said sarcastically to himself and paid the check before he left the restaurant.


* * * * *


Spike headed home to a very quiet house and wondered where Buffy and Amanda were. He heard a soft singing voice coming from the back as he walked to Amanda's room and noticed the door was cracked a little. He peeked in the room and saw Amanda in bed with Buffy next to her and she was singing. Spike smiled as he watched her sing to his daughter. She stopped when she realized Amanda was asleep and gave her a kiss on the forehead. Spike walked away, so she wouldn't catch him staring at her and walked back into the living room as Buffy left the room and closed the door. She headed to the living room and saw Spike in there. "Oh, I didn't know you were back already. I didn't hear you come in." Spike nodded.

"I was very quiet. So, you got her to sleep already? It usually takes me longer." Buffy nodded also.

"Yeah, it wasn't that hard." Spike smiled at her.

"I heard you singing to her. You have a very pretty voice, love." Buffy blushed a little.

"Thank you, I don't do it all that much. She just told me that you sometimes sing to her to help her sleep, so I figured I would give it a try." She said.

"Well, I appreciate that. Her mum used to sing to her before she was born. I just decided to take over. I'm afraid it's not the same though, but I do what I can." Buffy looked a little shy before she spoke again.

"If you don't mind me asking, where is her mom?" Spike sighed.

"There were complications and she died after Amanda was born." Buffy felt bad for asking.

"I'm so sorry, that must have been awful for you." Spike nodded.

"Yeah, it was. She was my first everything. We were married at a pretty young age. No one knew what we were doing. I was 19 and she was 18, but we loved each other so it didn't matter. She was my world and I didn't think I could ever go on after she died, but then they gave me Amanda and one look at her and I knew that I had to. I had to take care of her, even if I had to do it alone. She's the best bloody thing that ever happened to me." Buffy smiled at him.

"If it helps any, I think you did a really good job with her. She is the cutest kid I have ever seen. She even beats me when I was that age and I was adorable." Spike smiled at the girl.

"Yeah, I bet you were. I think you're still adorable." She blushed at the compliment and he had to smile again. God, this girl was adorable. He just couldn't resist. "Thank you again for watching her." He said as he went into his pocket and gave her a 20 dollar bill which was exactly what she needed, but she still thought it was too much for one time.

"This is nice of you, but I think it's too much for only a few hours." Spike waved his hand in the air.

"Think nothing of it, you earned it." Buffy smiled and took the money.

"Thank you." She told him as she headed to the door and he followed her. "I'll be available whenever you need me." Spike nodded.

"Yeah, I may need you a lot more." She nodded also.

"That's fine." She then looked uncomfortable as she continued. "So, how was the date? If you don't mind me asking." Spike shook his head.

"Went as I expected it to, she left when she found out I had a kid." Buffy really couldn't believe how heartless these women were.

"I'm sorry, if you ask me it was her loss." Spike smiled kindly at her.

"Yeah, it was. Well, it's getting late. You should probably be getting home now, wouldn't want your parents to worry." Buffy looked sad for a second, but didn't say anything. She just nodded and opened the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Spike." She said as she walked out of his house. He watched her go with a smile on his face.

"You too, Buffy." He said to himself as he walked back into the house and closed the door.