Chapter 8

Buffy walked to the library later that day. She was trying to avoid Spike by not making eye contact with him in class and actually leaving the room faster when the bell rang, so he wouldn't talk to her. She just didn't know what to tell him right now. She entered the library and the librarian looked up and smiled when she walked in. "Buffy, it's good to see you. Shouldn't you be at lunch right now?" Buffy shrugged and sat down.

"I wasn't hungry, so I decided to stop by. How have you been, Giles?" She asked him.

"That's quite alright, but I have a feeling I should be asking you that. How are things going?" Buffy shrugged again.

"I'm doing okay." Giles sat down by her and took her hand.

"I take it things aren't getting better with your father?" Buffy shook her head. She befriended Giles when he came to the school as the new librarian in her sophomore year and he was always easy to talk to. He would just sit there and listen to her about anything. She realized that he was like a father to her, more than her real father ever was. He was the only one that she talked to about her dad, not telling him about the fact that he sometimes hits her. He always seemed to be there for her and she was grateful for that.

"I have a feeling things will never get better. I just don't know what else I have to do, Giles. I never get in trouble at school. My grades are pretty decent and I basically stay out of his way as best I could. It just never seems to be enough for him. He continues to put me down and just say hurtful things that I try not to believe, but sometimes it's hard not to." Giles really felt for the girl.

"I'm terribly sorry, Buffy. You are a very brave girl to put up with all of that. You will not listen to anything he tells you because no matter what, it's not the truth. You have to believe that." Buffy nodded and gave him a small smile.

"Yeah, I know." She said even though she wasn't sure. They sat in silence until someone else entered the library and Buffy looked up to see Spike walk in. She just looked away from him and back at Giles. "I should get going now, Giles." She said as she stood up and headed by Spike to the front of the library. She stopped and looked at him, not wanting to be rude. "I'll see you on Saturday, Mr. Atherton." She said as she headed out of the library. Spike watched her go and then turned back to the librarian.

"What was that about her seeing you on Saturday, William?" Giles asked him.

"She's watching Amanda for me." He said as he sat down next to Giles.

"I see, glad that you found that extra help." Spike nodded and looked at Giles.

"I didn't know that you knew Buffy." He said and Giles nodded also.

"Yes, ever since I first arrived at the school. She's a delightful girl. She comes in to talk every now and then." Spike wondered if he would be able to get anything out of Giles.

"I hear she may have problems with her dad. Is that true?" Giles looked at the younger man, not really sure what to tell him.

"I'm afraid so, the poor girl talks about him a lot and none of it is ever pleasant. It doesn't look like things are getting any better for her. She hopes that she'll only have to deal with him until she graduates. Then she plans on going away to college, she's afraid that he won't let her though." He explained. "I tell you, I have an urge to throttle that man if I ever see him." Giles stated with venom in his voice and Spike agreed.

"You're not alone on that one." Giles calmed down a bit.

"I have watched that girl for the last few years and she just gets lovelier as the years go by. She is kind and generous, one of the best hearts I have ever seen. She doesn't deserve this." Giles told him.

"Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I've only known her for about a week, but I can tell that she's special. I only have to watch her with Amanda to see that and Amanda loves her already. I have never seen her so close to another woman like that before, besides my sister." Giles smiled at him.

"Yes, she is very good with children. She will be a wonderful mother one day." Spike thought about that and agreed.

"Yeah, she will." He said as he continued to sit there and think about things.