Author's Chapter Notes:
I am suprememly grateful to all those that take the time to review. Your opinions mean alot and it's good to know my fic hasn't been forgotten, despite my lethargic pregnant state! More soon.
Buffy was sizzling; anticipation making her completely crazy. God, she’d been busy. Recognising the time for what it was and making sure everything was prepared, then acting suitably upset for her friend while she wanted to jump the moon in delirious excitement.

So, it was kind of freakish that she had these conversations with her friends and then jumped afterwards with an almost intimidating sense of déjà vu, but still, so much was going the same way and Buffy was ecstatic with the hindsight that now came with the remarks. It was like, patrol with Willow. Pre-days when she had no clue of the way her life would travel, she had the truth right under her nose, wafting heavily with the rightness that pointed out the wrongness that was Riley, only she was too blinkered to pay herself any attention.

She’d been so with the right; intensity and passion with Riley had been doomed from the start. There could be no fire in sedate friendly picnics. He never got her blood pumping with the fight. She needed what came with fighting Spike. It was almost like it was pre-ordained only she was too stupid to go along with the Higher Powers that knew best. They must have been so frustrated with her whole ‘normal’ phase. And the damage she’d done to Riley. It was so of the unnecessary when she had sublime hotness and passion in easy grasp. Yep, love was all about the pain and fighting…but the good stuff was triple the normalness of a picnic at Rhode’s Field.

So, the tiny struggle Buffy had had about whether to warn her friends about what was about to happen or to leave it to pan out, came much too easily after thinking about Spike and his expertise in the bathroom over Thanksgiving. He’d pretty much ignored her since, never getting close enough to do anything but throw threats of killing her way. It made Buffy scowl at him, but grin inwardly at how cute he truly was. And almost pant at the opportunity she knew was coming up.

Her guilt over using Willow’s pain was short-lived. Thoughts of how Willow would tear her out of Heaven the first chance she got sort of blinding her to the other girl’s pain. True, she’d been kinda blind to it anyway, but still…vampire goodness in the way of wedding rings.

Buffy grimaced in memory of the ugly skull ring she was going to have to accept momentarily, then let herself dream happily over the matching gold band set she’d kept with her Justice of the Peace who was on a handy standby, papers and all organised and made legal, despite a few loops in the proceedings.

She’d been lying in bed for a while, way too excited to sleep even though she’d pretended for much longer than she thought she could stand. The second after Willow had gathered her things and tiptoed out of their room and to the bathroom, Buffy was out of bed and spinning with silent squeals of excitement. It was really happening, and if she played her cards right, by the end of the day she’d be Mrs. The Bloody with a very non-Mr Big Pile of Dust. She was so on board with the shady wedding and the consummation of said union. She itched and ached and burned with so much excitement it was all she could do to hold in the screams.

Buffy was in mid-jump when a little click from down the hall alerted her to sudden Willow invasion and she barely shot back into her bed in time, trying to calm her breathing enough that she didn’t make her friend aware that she was awake and making sure it all went off with every hitch it was meant to.

As Willow settled miserably back in her bed—Buffy’s guilt dimming her grin just a little—the blonde settled comfortably into oncoming sleep and dreams of the ‘come true’ variety.

And waited for the games to begin.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

It was just SO hard to keep the anticipation out of her voice while Buffy attempted to commiserate with mopey Willow. When the phone finally rang to say Spike had escaped, Buffy could barely stop long enough to toss her excuses at her friend. She knew it was harsh, but Wills was better for it all in the end. They all loved Tara, Will found out vital information about herself, and everything was all hunkey dorey except for Buffy and her Spike lovin’.


That squeal she’d been holding in since Willow disappeared to do her spell the night before? Was so let out when she literally bumped into Spike standing in the middle of campus, his whole face looking like he’d swallowed several beetles and he was just as confused by how they got into his mouth in the first place.

“Spike,” she shouted, launching all five feet three inches of herself into his more than capable arms. Buffy’s legs wound around his waist and she took no time to claim his lips, despite the spluttering protests and efforts to get her off him without making his chip fire.

“Bloody hell. Can’t a vamp cop a break?”

She slapped an enthusiastic hand over his mouth and almost growled her command he shut up, looking rapidly around them to make sure no one heard him before smacking her lips back to his, squeezing him between her legs so that he almost dropped to his knees, eyes threatening to pop out of his face.

“So, whatcha doin’?”

He gave her one of his incredulous looks and abruptly dropped her to the grass. Her butt hit the ground hard and she whimpered as she stood and dusted the debris off her olive pants.

“Are you completely daft? I’m…escaping?” He had started out so furious, finishing up in that sweet confused little voice he had when he just had no clue.

Buffy grinned happily and shook her golden locks as she linked her arm in his and began to walk him back to Giles’s, so buoyed up by her impending nuptials. His proposal was just going to be the most romantic thing that had ever happened to her.

“Not so with the much. You looked kinda lost.” She said it in a way that conveyed how much she was not caring if he was concerned that he was lost, and so excited that he was where he was…namely at the end of her arm.

“You know that they have a cell on hold for you at the funny farm, Slayer.”

“Is it right next to Dru’s?”

She backed off at his growl and instead attempted to distract him.

“So, it’s such a pretty night. See all those stars all twinkly and oblivious?”

He dragged her to a stop and just watched the light on her face, marvelling at her very obvious happiness at being in his presence. He’d tried so hard to forget the things she’d said when she didn’t know he was hiding behind trees and could hear her every word. She’d seemed to know his heart so well, better than a Slayer possibly could without spending some quiet time with him. And that was something they had never gotten around to.

They’d been made to fight each other. To punch, kick, hit, bite and maim. He thrived on the chase, the hunt. Thrived on his hobbies, the ones that meant the Slayer was food and a worthy challenge, not someone he wanted to shag into the middle of next week and every week beyond that.

But the thing was, she had known. She’d been acting bizarre since the second he came across her that day he’d finally found the answer to all his Slayer-sized problems. The day she’d seduced invincibility right off his finger. Since then he hadn’t been able to get rid of the aggravation of her moon-eyes and arousing fragrance. And now she’d made sure he was helpless and at her mercy. He was buggered if he should be proud of her ingenuity, or completely brassed off that she’d destroyed his unlife.

Still, he couldn’t go past the look of wonder on her face as she stared straight into him.

“You really see me, don’t you, pet?” It was incredible to think that she could, and yet he knew that she did. Felt it inside every time he thought to do violence against her and hers.

And then he felt his body shudder as she raised a shaky hand and cupped the side of his face. The Slayer was looking at him with such longing and happiness that he almost gasped. It was so new, unheard of in his world that a human, and an enemy no less, could have this much grasp of who and what he was. It scared the piss out of him.

“I really see you, Spike.” And her lips closed over his once again, the soft lushness making him melt beyond any expectation he’d come to have.

Her voice had been so sincere, so full of truth and he just couldn’t believe that he had seemingly found this acceptance in someone he’d been raised to hate and kill. That he still planned to kill, and preferably in a blood draining kind of way, because her blood was delicious and made him forget his own mind.

There was nothing hard in her embrace this time. She was all soft, stroking his hair at the nape of his neck in a soothing, hypnotic fashion and he thought he could finally see whatever vision could explain her fixation with him. Didn’t understand it, but could maybe see what it was for her. And so easily lost track of time.

He didn’t even question the urge that had him on one knee, running his hands nervously through his hair as he whipped off his silver skull ring and offered it to her.

“It's just so sudden. I don't know what to say.” Buffy admired the ring and then suddenly looked at him fearfully, uncertainty shining in her eyes. “I mean, you are asking me to marry you, right?”

She sounded so hopeful, so close to having her heart broken if he wasn’t serious that he almost gushed like prat-like William.

“Just say yes, and make me the happiest man on earth.” And he couldn’t stop smiling, feeling it all course through him and making him so blindingly happy for the first time he could ever remember.

He loved this woman; loved her faults, her strengths, loved that she was his enemy yet could see so deep inside him that she could find love. He just couldn’t imagine any more of his unlife without her. She was simply essential. Dru had known it, had pushed him into returning and getting that little bit closer to the reality of his heart.

It was completely Buffy-shaped. He was a vamp in love and he would devote every second he had left on this earth to making his woman happy, even if it killed him.

“Oh, Spike! Of course it's yes!” She jammed the ring on her finger, frowned when it slid right off again, and stubbornly pushed it back and closed her fist to hold it in place.

“Oh.” He almost collapsed with the word, so relieved that poncy William wasn’t going to be left alone and foolish this time. William the Bloody was getting married and a match more worthy he’d never find. She was his love, his life, and his forever.

They collapsed in a tangle of euphoria, arms wrapped tight around each other as they found refuge in their happiness, not caring who looked on, who saw their display and became dejected with sadness and futility.

He was marrying the Slayer. Spike and Buffy. Buffy and Spike.

Nothing had ever been more perfect.