“A-are you quite certain that is what happened in this dream of yours?” Giles was struggling with his need to twist his glasses into useless scrap metal as he tried to come to terms that the dream they had thought was a possible spell, now seemed to be a message from the PTB. A message that had his Slayer convinced she was destined for the likes of soulless, murdering vampire Spike.

“Positive,” Buffy confirmed as she absently played with a crucifix, tossing it in the air and watching the revolutions as it spun with each hard flick of her wrist. She was grinning, caught up in how hot and tasty Spike’s lips were, running other scenarios through her head to find the next best opportunity for make-outville.

“And you got the gem off him?”

“Yup. He’s probably on his way right now to torture Angel for it.”

Giles shuddered at the memory of what Angel might consider torture. “A-and you don’t think it wise for Angel to have the Gem?”

“Nah, he’s just gonna destroy it anyway.” Buffy suddenly stopped the spinning of her cross and met Giles’s concerned eye. “I guess it’s not really right for me to not warn Angel about Spike coming, huh?”

Giles blinked. “I know you feel animosity toward him for leaving Sunnydale, Buffy, but no. It really isn’t.”

“Huh. Maybe I should head off to LA?”

Xander, who had thus far remained quietly confident Giles would force Buffy to back off the undead kissage, was shocked back into the conversation at the thought of Buffy rushing off to be around Spike again.

“That is so—“

“You’re so right, Giles. That’s exactly what I should do. So, wanna drive me? Much quicker than a bus. Might get there before Spike turns Angel into shishkabob. And hey, we can see how Cordy is doing.”

“Cordy’s with Angel?” Xander’s whole argument was immediately derailed at the mention of the brunette that got away.

“Well, not with with, but not that that wouldn’t have solved a whole lot of problems for them both. You so don’t want to see Cordy in cradle-robbing mode.”

“Cordy robs cradles?”

Buffy couldn’t hold in the chuckles. “Well not strictly speaking, but she nursed him as a baby and then to do what she did, that’s just too ewwww.”

The men watched her in amazement.

“You received messages in relation to Angel’s mission in LA?” Giles couldn’t hold the ferocious burn of his enthusiasm, the small boyish grin that established itself on his lips as he looked to Buffy for more information.

“Yup,” Buffy answered him absently. “Years and years of it. I mean, you’d think he’d learn, but oh no, back to the whole Angelus thing. But at least he didn’t really kill anyone I know this time. Still, redundant much? Sheesh.”

Giles just shook his head, ignoring the shudder that shot through his body at the thought of a resurgence of Angelus. Actually, come to think of it, it made him feel quite angry.

“But that’s absurd. How could he in all good faith take the risk of the flesh when he lost his soul the previous time?”

“Oh, he partook of the fleshy sins way before that. Angel has himself a little fling with Darla take-two and ends up a Daddy for real. Which is just so with the creepy. Must make Drusilla soooo big with the sibling rivalry.” Buffy stopped as she contemplated the intricacies of Angel’s family tree, frowning slightly and moving her head from side to side as she added it all up in her brain. “Actually, she’s also the grandmother and the granddaughter and I’m just gonna shut up now because this is so way beyond where I care.”

Giles took a sudden breath of frustration, wanting to reach for his journal and make Buffy sit down and tell him what exactly had gone on in the future years of LA but just as he leaned over for his pen she…

“Hey Giles. Time for the making with the movement. Let’s hit the road and be on our way to save Angel before Spike has him all filled with holes.”

With a newly lightened step Giles made to his feet and ignored Xander as he spluttered objections and reasserted his position on Buffy’s making out with the undead.

“Really, Buffy. Are you absolutely certain that you should pursue this …thing with Spike? I mean, he has been trying to kill you for a while now.”

“And like I told Xander before and after he hyperventilated and passed out on the floor, this is NOT up for debate. Spike will do great things for all of us, and he will love me more deeply than I ever thought possible. He dies for me and the world. His ass, therefore, is completely mine. No discussion entered into, from him or you. Get over it. Now let’s get going.”

Giles followed her out of his flat, shaking his head and stashing his journal and a small recorder into his tweed coat. You just never knew when a Slayer would get chatty.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Spike was perched on the roof of a building with the most deliciously perfect view. He could see every move of the poof’s dashing heroics and he could only shudder with the bliss he felt as his mind provided him with fill-in words that he was sure were far more accurate in telling Angel’s tale of detective magic.

“How can I thank you, you mysterious, black-clad hunk of a night thing?” He watched below as the pretty little blond looked up in awe at her paid protector. “No need, little lady, your tears of gratitude are enough for me. You see, I was once a badass vampire, but love and a pesky curse defanged me. Now I’m just a big, fluffy puppy with bad teeth.”

Spike cringed a little at the too recent events that saw him all curled up amongst the Slayer’s warmth with her lips doing wild things to his insides by way of his mouth. Oh yeah, he knew fluffy puppy’s, only he had none of that curse business, pesky or otherwise. But that was all just something he was happily blocking right out of his brain.

Spike grinned as he watched the blonde step forward to offer a physical sign of her gratitude and continued with the pseudo conversation that made much more sense to him than whatever drivel would be coming out of Peaches’ mouth.

“No, not the hair! Never the hair.” Spike patted down his own helmet reassuringly.

“But there must be someway I can show my appreciation.” He was getting a bloody kick out of this, pretending he was the woman and being all swoonish over the hero’s manly role in saving her life.

“No, helping those in need’s my job, - and working up a load of sexual tension, and prancing away like a magnificent poof is truly thanks enough!”

“I understand. I have a nephew who is gay, so—”

“Say no more. Evil’s still afoot! And I’m almost out of that Nancy-boy hair-gel that I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away!”

Spike relaxed back and lit a cigarette, smiling in evil satisfaction as Angel led his latest Buffy stand-in away. “Go on with you. Play the big, strapping hero while you can. You have a few surprises coming your way. The ring of Amarra, a visit from your old pal Spike-- and, oh yeah-- your gruesome, horrible death.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

He didn’t feel guilty at all. No siree, not even in the slightest. Just because the Slayer had knocked him on his arse with her unexpected kissy inducements—no, he wasn’t going there again. Slayer pinched his bloody ring, had no doubt sent it to the vamp she really had the hots for, and now he was all set to get the bugger right back on his finger where it belonged. Just because it might set his little blonde enemy off was neither here nor there. He had a grandsire getting poked, he had a ring that wasn’t yet found, and he had invulnerability that he was eager to use and actually kill the bloody girl this time.

Angel was looking more and more like the pretty picture he’d made of Dru and Spike himself in their glorious past, and Spike found that he was getting less satisfaction from that as he’d thought. Still, it enabled him to bring the cheerleader and the boy toy along so they could see the state of their boss and give Spike his blood ring back. He was starting to get so frustrated that he thought he just might eat them all.

“There’s just one incy wincy problem,” the brunette ventured and pushed a few more of his buttons.

“An’ what the bleeding hell would that be?” The stupid bint had the audacity to grin at him like she had some kind power over him.

“That would be me, Spikey. I never sent the ring to Angel.”

Spike turned and felt a dawning horror make his appendages shrivel. “Oh, bloody hell.” He was captivated by her pout and missed the stake that appeared from some hidden place on her body.

“Oh, and honey? One thing. Your friend Marcus?” Her stake zoomed across the warehouse and found its target in the torture specialist’s chest. He exploded with a furious roar. Buffy giggled and batted her eyelashes at Spike. She waited until she was standing right in front of him and linked her arms around his neck, becoming happily reacquainted with the mesmerising depths of his eyes. “He was going to doublecross you.”

“And you what? Came to save me?”

“Yeah.” Buffy grinned while taking that little step closer, rubbing her body a little against his front. “Aren’t you glad?”

Right, there was no way that this was happening to him. This bint had gone right off her tree. First the kissing and the coffee and the daft questions about giving up the hunt, and now she was looking out for him and trying to get him to defile himself in front of his grandsire by showing his immense bloody attraction to her? She was bleeding insane. She could run rings all the way round Dru and still come out even loopier. He took a giant step back and broke her hold on him.

“Are you completely off your bird? Why would I be all relieved that the Slayer came screaming to my rescue.”

She was hurt. He could tell and it hit him a little sharply, even if he wasn’t going back on it or taking the step that would put her back in his arms. Even if he might like to see what that felt like a little more. He could see the way she studied him, and then felt like sighing deep his relief when she dismissed her watcher and friends to getting her real favourite vampire back out of harm’s way. He intentionally blanked out the loud protests of the one that wasn’t quite up to retaliation and smirked internally at the picture the ponce must be leaving with. Spike in the Slayer’s arms. If Buffy could blank it out and ignore the one she really loved to make cow eyes at him for half an hour than who was he to object?

And then they were alone and Spike was knocked into a wall as his body was propelled backwards by the force of the Slayer diving into his arms and clamping her legs around his waist. Seconds crawled by and he finally felt the plush softness of her lips. Felt the warm wetness as she consumed him with her need. She licked the slit between his lips and he moaned even as his mouth opened and he allowed her in, sucking hungrily on one ripe, succulent lip even as he wanted to eat her all up. She tasted like coffee, just like the other time, though this was more potent because he was becoming familiar.

He felt her hands clasp the leather of his shoulders and then she was writhing against him, her mouth leaving him so she could suck on his neck, bite his throat as she rubbed her breasts against his chest. He felt her little nipples, hard and pointed as they scraped over his T-shirt. He reacted in the only way he could think how. He thrust her away hard, letting her fall on her back to the floor and then he dived on top of her, his fangs buried deep in her throat.

The first drop on his tongue changed his motivation and he stopped lying to himself. This chit was bloody delicious, and one meal of her was never going to be enough. And as much an aphrodisiac as her blood was, he’d go bug shagging crazy if he offed her now and had no one to sate his lust in close vicinity.

“Spike?” She breathed into his ear, her hand stroking his hair rather than attempting to push him away. She had flinched at the sting of his fangs as they had pierced her flesh, but her panic had died down a little as she felt the slowing and then stopping of his deep pulls on her blood. “I know I’m confusing you, but if you want to stop with the bitey then I could maybe explain what’s going on.”

He retracted his teeth and licked gently at the wounds, losing himself in images of other bites and other times he would get to taste her. “Pet?” He couldn’t move, couldn’t resolve himself to feeling nothing but air pressed up against his body. “Think the best thing might be to just leave it. Nothing good can come of this, and as much as I have no bleeding clue why you are pulling tricks like this in front of Peaches, I want no part of it. Sick of women using me for their little mind games. You got the poof. Jus’ let me alone, yeah?”

He couldn’t look at her as he jumped to his feet and ran out of there with an added spurt of his vampiric speed. Buffy was left, this time reclining uncomfortably on a dirty cement floor.

But she remained alone nonetheless.