Author's Chapter Notes:
When they meet up in Harsh Light of Day, Buffy doesn’t seem that surprised to see Spike in Sunnydale. So, I think they probably met up several times after Ascension and before college started.
Never Ever Tell by Lilachigh


Meeting 11 “Don’t Touch!”

“Will, hi!”

“Buffy? Where are you? I’ve been waiting ages.”

“Giles had to pack up some of Wesley’s books and send them back to England. But he’s sprained his wrist and gone to hospital to get it strapped up - Giles, not Wesley so I’m doing it for him.” Buffy tucked the phone under her chin and dropped another couple of dusty tomes into a box. ”Î’ll be there in half an hour.”

“OK. See you then.”

Buffy hung up and wiped her hands down her jeans. How did books get so dirty? “Maybe there’re dust demons that drift around in the air until they find a nice home on old leather covers,” she muttered.

“No such things as dust demons, Slayers,” a voice behind her said.

Buffy spun round, her hand going for the stake stuck in her waistband. Then she hesitated. Leaning against the wall was Spike. “What the hell are you doing here?”

The blond vampire raised an eyebrow. “Language, Slayer! If I told you Rupert had offered to lend me a book, would you believe me?”

Buffy looked at him in scorn. “I’m not that stupid, Spike. Giles wouldn’t give you the time of day, let alone one of his books. You’re stealing something, aren’t you? Right, clear out, before he comes home.”

Spike reached out with a dusty boot and kicked over a pile of books. “These belong to that poncy Wyndham Price?”

Buffy was getting cross. “I won’t tell you again. I don’t know why I’m letting you stand there alive.”

“Dead already, sweetheart. Very dead. Remember?”

Buffy smacked his hand away as he reached for a big red covered book on the table. “Don’t call me sweetheart. And don’t touch that!”

She grabbed at his hand as he tried to pick up the book again. Their fingers tangled together. His were cool and she flinched and, angry with herself for being so indecisive, she pulled out a stake and lunged at him as he grabbed the book out of her grasp.

Spike swayed away, smiling and prowled round Giles’ room. “Oh, you want to fight, Slayer? That’ll be fun. Hey, last time I saw you, you were drooling over Peaches up in L.A. How is the love of your life? Oh, yes, busy with his new friends and the beautiful Miss Chase! You really do have rotten taste in men, Slayer.”

Buffy felt the colour drain from her cheeks. “Spike, just put the book down and go. I’m not joking anymore. You’re dust if you don’t. I mean it.”

Spike eased towards the door, prudently putting the table between him and the very pissed off Slayer. She was reacting exactly as he’d thought she would. He could have fought her, but somehow he knew the time wasn’t right for that yet. Much more fun to have a Slayer around he could annoy, especially as Liam had left town for good.

He stared at her now; blonde hair tumbled round her cheeks, green eyes blazing, her body tense. She wasn’t his type, of course, he liked his women dark haired and pale skinned. But even so, he had to admit she was hot and he wouldn’t ever kick her out of his bed if she -

He ducked as a bottle flew through the air, just missing his head. It crashed on the floor and the smell of good whisky crept through the room.

Spike flinched. “Bloody hell, Slayer. What a waste of Scotch!” he yelled. “Now, now, no need to get upset with me just because your boyfriend’s gone off with another girl. Perhaps she’s better in bed than you. Did you ever think of that? Oh now, bed’s a bad subject where Peaches is concerneed, isn’t it?”

“Get out, Spike!” Her voice quivered with anguish. What was it about this vamp that he always seemed to know the right buttons to push to make her ache?

He backed further towards the door, feeling for the handle as she advanced towards him. He knew he’d pushed her as far as he dared. He grinned, flung the red book back at her, making her catch it in mid air.

Triumphantly, she clutched it to her chest as he slid out into the dark, not seeing that he’d hidden another, older, book in his duster pocket . The book he’d guessed Wyndham Price would have, the one he’d been seeking which would give him some vital information regarding the whereabouts a certain gem that was destined to change his unlife for ever.

another meeting follows shortly