Author's Chapter Notes:
I love this time in their lives so much and I think a lot was going on that we can only guess at! If you like the story, please leave a review. Hey, leave a review even if you don’t like it.
Never Ever Tell by Lilachigh


Meeting 18 All Over Again


Spike had been lying in the bath for a couple of days now. It wasn’t that uncomfortable - soddin’ hell, he’d been in far worse places, usually with the addition of pain and torture - and that was just from his family, Angel, Darla and Dru.

No, the problem was he had too much time to think. He’d made a joke of it . “Spike’s had a little trip to the vet and can’t play with the other puppies any more.”

Oh, yes, barrel of laughs all round, folks. He rattled the chains, tugging once more in an attempt to free himself, but the Watcher for all his nancy ways, knew how to tie knots. He’d probably been a bloody boy scout. Spike savoured the idea of asking Giles where he kept his woggle when he got back, then his thoughts swung back to himself again.

Yes, there was too much time to think. What did the chip in his head mean? He was a vampire, he bit people, he lived on blood, he was evil, for god’s sake. That hadn’t changed.

What was he supposed to do for all the centuries that lay ahead of him? Sit around and learn embroidery? Join some poxy midnight gardening club?

He’d heard how Angel had gone down hill fast when he gave up the blood feasting. Munching on rats and other little nasties, cadging coins for bags of pig’s gore from the butcher’s.

Was that what lay ahead - brooding and misery and centuries of despair? Spike shut his eyes, digging deep inside him for the courage he knew he would need.

No, by god, he wasn’t Liam. He’d never suffered from that bloody boring Irish melancholy. Good for pulling the birds, he supposed, but not for him. He would find a way to survive on his terms -

Her scent reached him first. She smelt of Spring - light and zingy, foaming pink and white apple blossom against a bright blue Kent sky on a May day - children laughing, dancing round a Maypole with green and white ribbons in their hands....

His eyes flashed open, confused at a memory that he’d thought had gone a long time ago.

Buffy was standing in the doorway. She looked - Spike licked his lips - eatable. Red top, slinky skirt, her hair long and curly and very blonde.

“Going out on the town are we, Slayer?”

“Not that it’s any of your business, Spike, but yes. We’re meeting Willow at the Bronze. Help her - well, not that I agree, but you said she was having problems with Oz going and so - ” Buffy bit her lip. “I just came round to tell Giles where I’d be if I’m needed, but he’s not here.”

“Believe it or not, Slayer, he’s gone to the sodding Library. He’s got enough books in here to open one of his own, but no, he needs to go to the official Sunnydale Library. I’d reckon he had a bint there, if he wasn’t so old. I’ll tell him you called when he gets back. Shut the door as you go. It’s draughty - and I’m in the bath!”

“Don’t be ridiculous. You’ve got all your clothes on.” She peered hastily into the tub to make sure he had! “Anyway, thanks.”

“Oh, think nothing of it, Slayer. I mean what else do I have to do but lie around and be your bleedin’ messenger boy! Of course, you could always unchain me and let me come with you. I’d promise to behave - if you want me to.” He leered up at her from under raised black eyebrows and she stepped back hastily.

“In your dreams, Spike!”

“Lots of things happen in my dreams, Slayer.” He laughed and she refused to let her face go red. “So has wolf boy gone for good?”

“I don‘t know. Maybe.”

“He‘s discovering how difficult it is to be different,” Spike said softly, almost to himself. Then he shot her a glance that cut through her assumed indifference. “It’s a hard lesson to learn. You know that, Slayer. I know that. And with this chip in my bonce, I reckon I’m just about to learn it all over again. The danger will be that Red will want to be different, too, now. That’s when you’ll need to watch her.”

Buffy nodded thoughtfully. “OK. I’ll watch. We’ll all watch.”

She started to walk away, towards her friends, to music and dancing and fun, then hesitated. She banished the stupid thought that she and Spike had sounded like some old married couple, sharing their problems, searching for a solution.

She turned and looked down at the platinum blond head, the cheek bones that slashed upwards under his pale skin. Spike seemed to see some things so clearly. Probably because he hated them all so much. But what was it about Willow that concerned him so deeply?


to be continued