Author's Chapter Notes:
Many apologies for long delay. mega computer problems, but happily resolved so back at work writing. Will try and update all my stories soon.
Never Ever Tell by Lilachigh

Chp 28 Wrong time, wrong place


Buffy stared at the coffee dripping down slowly into the glass jug. She could hear laughter coming from the family room. Dinner had finished a little while back and for some bizarre reason, Giles wanted to play charades, with Anya’s enthusiastic, if inept help. Joyce had a headache and said she was dying for a cup of coffee.

Buffy couldn’t remember a weirder Christmas meal. OK, Spike had behaved himself. He’d seemed stunned when her mom had flung open the door and called out to him as he crossed the yard, asking him in. And Buffy had noticed he’d thrust something under the porch steps. It had looked suspiciously like a shotgun and she knew she’d have to check on that soon.

He’d sat between Joyce and Giles and although Xander had scowled at him throughout the whole meal, they hadn’t gotten into any word fights at the table, so hey, Christmas spirit all round.

Her mom had given him a soup bowl with gravy in it, but Buffy noticed that he’d also managed to eat several slices of turkey and a bowl of ice-cream.

No, the problem had been her reaction to him. He annoyed the heck out of her. She was sitting directly opposite him at the table and it seemed every time she glanced up, those sparkling blue eyes were glinting in her direction. And what was that obscene thing he’d been doing with his tongue when he’d licked the ice-cream spoon!

His gaze had caught hers and she’d felt the heat rising in her face as his tongue flicked out, removing the last speck from the silver surface. It was almost as if he was reminding her of what else he could do with his tongue, reminding her of that dreadful evening in the courtyard outside Giles’ house when they’d been so enthralled by Willow’s spell.

Oh God, why wouldn’t the coffee finish dripping? The sooner they all had a hot drink, the sooner they would think about going home and she could show Spike the door.

The final straw had come when the phone had rung and it had been Riley calling to wish her a merry Christmas. Even though she’d turned her back on the table as she replied, she could feel Spike’s gaze boring right through her shoulder blades.

“Your mom wants to know if you need any help?”

She jumped as Spike appeared silently in the doorway. “What? No, I’m good. Don’t let us keep you, Spike, if you need to be anywhere else.”

He hitched himself up onto the windowsill and sat, swinging his dusty boots. “Do I detect a note of sarcasm in the Slayer‘s dulcet tones?” he said dryly. “Don’t worry, pet. I’ll clear off soon. Leave the coast clear for the new boy friend to clamber up the wall into your waiting arms and opened legs. Is that what the phone call was about? Arranging a rendezvous. Not very clever of him, doing it while your mom was around.”

Buffy glared at him. “No rendezvous. No arms or…legs. We’re not – shut up, Spike. It’s none of your business. Friends can wish each other Merry Christmas without there being anything – Oh, just go away. I’m tired and you’ve spoilt my Christmas dinner. I don’t know why Mom wanted you here.”

Spike frowned and for a split second his face shimmered and gold glimmered in his eyes. Then he was back to normal. He felt a rush of anger flood over him. How had he spoilt her evening? By existing? Well, that was her fault. She could have got rid of him a long time ago. Perhaps she should ask herself why she hadn’t.

He opened his mouth to speak, then shrugged as two glaring green eyes fixed on him like twin stakes. This wasn’t the time or place to settle this problem.

“Well, evil here, pet, There’s all sorts of ways to hurt someone. And I take it by your whispering down the phone that your Watcher is someone else who doesn’t know about Mr Flynn. Out of the loop now, is he? Poor old Rupert.”

He wondered what she would say if he told her exactly how he’d like to be hurting her that night, then pushed the thought away. He could remember the time when they’d been under Willow’s passion spell. Okay, it had been revolting. She was the Slayer, for god’s sake. He‘d been surprised that his prick hadn’t dropped off from the contact with all that – but he could feel in every nerve ending exactly what they’d done in the courtyard outside Giles’ house. Oh god, she’d been so hot and tight and –

He jumped down from his perch and headed for the door. “I’ll get out of your way, then, Slayer. Tell Joyce – ”

Buffy felt her temper snap and flung a coffee cup at him. He dodged and it smashed against the wall.

“Buffy!” She heard her mom call, anxiously.

“OK, Mom. Just being clumsy. Coffee’s coming right up.” She spun back to Spike. “Get out, Spike. Now, while you still can. At least Riley is trying to do good in the world, trying to help people. He is what he is, a good man. And what are you? A stupid, pig-headed, toothless vampire. You can’t feed yourself, can’t bite, can’t fight. God, Spike, you’re not even worth the effort of staking. Just go away and stake yourself, why don’t you!”

The door clicked shut and she realised he’d gone into the night. She busied herself with coffee and cups, finding cream and sugar and spoons. Then everything blurred and she realised she had tears in her eyes. Why on earth was she so upset? Oh God, of course, that was it - she’d forgotten to check up on that shotgun she thought she’d seen Spike hide.

How ridiculous to be worrying over something like that. It was Christmas evening; all her friends and family were here. Riley had rung. Things were good. It would soon be 2000, the new millennium. Goodness knows what would happen in the coming year.

Spike was an evil vampire. What did it matter what she said to him? No one would ever know. And she refused to feel bad about it. Absolutely refused…….


To be continued