Never Ever Tell by Lilachigh


No 4 Part One - A Secet Shared


The circle of dead Christmas trees was weird, Buffy thought as she pushed her way through skeletal brown branches, the needles catching in her coat and hair.

Although she couldn’t see her, she could hear her mother, only feet away, exclaiming over the size and price of a spruce that would only last a few days in the warmth of their living-room, anyway. But at least it would start out semi alive, here was obviously a resting place for everything old and dead and -

- and to her astonishment and anger, the deadest of the dead was standing in the centre of the withered circle, black leather coat shiny in the winter sunlight, platinum hair slick, eyes - well she’d forgotten because Angel’s were so dark just how startlingly blue Spike’s eyes were.

“What on earth are you doing here?” she hissed at him.

‘Oh great, the Slayer. Just what I need.”

“Does Angel know you’re in town?”

Spike raised a scarred eyebrow. “No, Lover Boy doesn’t know and I have no intention of telling him. And if you want a nice cosy Christmas with Peaches, then I suggest you keep quiet as well.”

“Then get out of Sunnydale. Go back to Dru. Just - ” she waved her hands and caught a tree which immediately toppled over.

“You all right, Buffy?” she heard her mother call.

“Yes, fine. Still looking for the perfect tree.”

“Oh, is that Joyce? Shall I stop and say hello?”

Buffy pulled a stake from her pocket. “One step - just one step, Spike and you”re dust. Now, what is about the words ‘go away’ you don’t understand?”

Spike shrugged. “Can’t go until I find Matilda.”

Buffy felt sick. “Not another girl you’ve turned. Isn’t Dru enough for you?”

Spike hesitated. There was so much he could have said about Dru, but not to the Slayer. He wished - but only for a second or two - that Angel wasn’t his grandsire, but a mate. The sort of mate you could confide in, have a drink with, explain that you were doing your best but your crazy girlfriend was driving you as mad as she was.

It must be rather nice, he thought wistfully to be the Slayer. To have Red and the Whelp and even old tweedy knickers, Giles, around; all friends, all there for support. And she’d even got Mr Big and Broody as well for a little loving, although hey, they couldn’t go the whole way apparently, so a plus there.

Sometimes he realised just how alone in the world he was.

“Matilda isn’t a girl, Slayer, she’s a soddin’ doll. One of Dru’s babies. Got left behind when we scarpered. I said i’d buy her another one, the finest in Mexico, but no, she wants Miss Matilda, she completes the rotten circle or some such rubbish, so I’ve got to find her, haven’t I?”

Buffy bit her lip and tried very hard not to laugh. Oh the Big Bad was so under his lady’s thumb, even if it was the thumb of a merciless mass killer.

‘And, er, do you know where she is?” It was so hard to keep the tremble out of her voice.

Spike looked at her suspiciously. If the Slayer was laughing at him, he would risk getting staked so he could bite her. Sink his fangs into that luscious soft neck. Just once. It would be worth it.

“Got a good idea. Old church over by Arundel Street. Dru thinks she left Miss Matilda in the bell tower when she killed the guy playing the organ.”

‘Buffy!”

“That’s Mum. I’ve got to go.” She stared at the vampire and for a ridiculous moment felt a little bit sorry for him. “Just get the stupid doll and go, Spike. Or - or I’ll tell Angel!”

She whirled round and dived back through the dead trees. Spike stared after her. She wasn’t going to tell lover boy, he could sense that. So, they shared a secret. And for some reason that cheered him up immensely.



Hope you like this one? I’ve tinkered slightly with the scene.
part two of Meeting No4 follows shortly.