Author's Chapter Notes:
As the USA have just had mother’s day - we had it in March in England - I thought we could use a meeting with Joyce in the mix.
Never Ever Tell by Lilachigh

Meeting no 8 Knight in black leather

Joyce Summers swung the car over into the parking area by the rest stop on the highway out of Sunnydale. She turned to look at her daughter in the seat next to her.

“I still don’t see why this is necessary, Buffy. If you think there’s great danger around, then I should be at home, in case you need me.”

“Mum, we’ve been through all this. I can’t concentrate on the Mayor and his Ascension if I have to worry about you and there’s no one I trust to look out for you when I’m not there.”

They got out of the car and Buffy gave her mother a hug. “Take care. I’ll catch the bus back to town. You just drive on and I’ll contact you - well - whenever I can. And don’t worry.”

“Yeah, don’t worry Mummy, your little girl’s going to be in good hands!”

Buffy swung round to find three hulking great brutes standing behind them. Not demons or vamps, just human dross. She wished desperately she could stake them as she would a vampire, but knew that would make her no better than Faith if she did.

“Look, we’re not bothering you. Why not just walk away?” she suggested calmly, eyeing the nearest one and reckoning she could smash his kneecap with one good kick and that didn’t really count as hurting, did it?

Neanderthal number one just giggled inanely and started towards her, hands swinging up into fists. “I like little blonde girls a lot,” he said. “I can show you a really good time, sweetheart. Then I’ll show your Mummy. I bet she hasn’t had any since you were made, eh?”

“Mum, get in the car,” Buffy said quietly.

“Buffy - ”

“Car, now!”

She felt Joyce slide away from her and slam the door shut. Buffy would have been happier if she’d just driven away, but knew she wouldn’t leave her daughter standing there, facing these idiots.

Neanderthal swung at her while his friends jeered in the background. Buffy’s foot caught him on his knee, just as she’d imagined and he fell yelling to the floor.

But her impetus had taken her towards the other two and their fists connected with her ribcage in smashing blows.

“You’ll pay for that, bitch!” the first one said, his blackened teeth bared in an angry grin and Buffy felt the first smidgen of fear trickle down her back. Three humans were far more difficult to fight than three vampires.

Then, as she crouched, something fast, black coated and blond haired, erupted between her and her attackers. The blackened teeth shattered and there was a cracking of ribs and howling as a dusty boot connected into very tender intimate parts of certain bodies.

The first guy was grabbed as the other two stumbled away. The figure paused in front of Buffy and bent its mouth towards the thick neck above the dirty checked shirt.

“Spike! Stop. Let him go.”

He spun round, game faced, golden eyes glowing. As she watched, the human appeared. “Slayer! That was fun. Hey, all legitimate, too, what with the coming to the rescue of you and your Mum and all. Want me to finish him off? Bloody hell, I could do with a good meal Although I’m not sure I want to bite through the dirt on this one’s neck.”

“No! Thank you, but a world of no! They’re humans, Spike. However bad they are, I can’t allow you to - ”

“OK, OK, don’t get your knickers in a twist.” Growling, he pushed the man violently towards the darker corner of the car park, then lit a cigarette and stared at her through the flame of his lighter. “Getting Joyce out of town, I suppose.”

She nodded.

“Good idea, Slayer. Going to be fun and games all round at the Ascension. Sorry I can’t stay and watch you all die, but Peaches said I’d only be in the way.”

“I don’t intend to die, so you won’t miss much,” she snapped.

“Buffy? Are you OK. Have those men gone?” It was her mother from the car. “Who are you talking to?”

“Yes, I’m fine, Mom. Don’t worry, it’s no one.”

Then as her mouth seemed to take on a life of its own, “Spike, which way are you ...?” she stopped: there was no way she could ask an evil thing to help.

Spike raised an eyebrow at her. “Joyce? Don’t worry, Slayer. I’ll drive along behind her all the way to where she‘s going. She won’t even know I’m there. After all, like you just said, I’m no one!”

“And you wouldn’t - ”

Spike looked as shocked as a Big Bad could and for a weird moment, Buffy could see a different man looking out of his eyes, someone softer and - a silly word came into her mind - gallant.

“No snacking - promise. Hey, you can trust me, Slayer.”

She rolled her eyes at him. “That’s something I’ll never, ever do, Spike. Believe me. I’d tell you I loved you before I said I trusted you!”

And as she waited for the bus back into Sunnydale and the death and mayhem that awaited her, she wondered why on earth she’d said that and why he’d laughed all the way back to his car.

another meeting follows shortly

Please review if you’re enjoying these little stories.