Author's Chapter Notes:
I’ve often wondered exactly how they came to link up. And I don’t mean Spike and Buffy. Perhaps if our Slayer had been a bit nicer to him, lots of things would have turned out differently.
Never Ever Tell by Lilachigh

Chp 9 Damsels in Distress


The steam was still rising from the ruins of Sunnydale High School. Buffy stood, staring into the dark, at the chaos she had begun and finished.
Angel had walked away from her. Just - walked away.
How could he do that? She thought her heart was going to split the pain was so bad. She would never have given up, never just resigned from the fight like that. There would be books they could consult, Giles would have helped. Curses could be lifted. Anything was possible if you truly believed.
She didn’t know which was worse: the pain of his leaving or the pain of believing his love of the great tragedy that was his life was more than the love he had for her.
Suddenly, the hairs of the back of her neck tingled. Vampire! He’d come back. He hadn’t left her. She was still loved.
But the figure in black was not him.
“Spike!” Her disappointment was so acute she could have killed him on the spot.
“Don’t sound so pleased to see me, Slayer. I just thought I’d let you know that your - ’
“Go away. Just get out of here! I can’t stand the sight of you tonight.”
“But - ”
“I won’t warn you again, Spike. I can’t deal with you tonight.” She knew she was being harsher than she needed, that she’d asked him to look out for her mother, but she had an overwhelming desire to hit out and hurt someone. Make them pay for the pain she was carrying.
And it was no good being nasty to Willow or Giles or Xander. They would just look soulful and miserable and it would make her feel worse. But Spike - that was someone she could hurt and her pain would go away.
She lashed out and her fist caught him full in the face, unprepared for her blow. A flurry of punches followed until he was down and she was kicking and kicking and kicking...
Then the emptiness followed. She stared at the black leather figure on the floor. The blood spattered on the ground. He hadn’t even tried to fight back, had probably guessed she would stake him if he did.
The tears that she’d controlled all this time began to flow and she turned and ran.
Spike got to his feet, anger coursing through him. He’d come to tell her that her mum was okay and this was all the thanks he got.
Well, never again. That was the last time he did a favour for anyone. He snarled into game face as a pretty blonde girl emerged from the shadows. He could hurt and kill, too. He’d show the Slayer just how much damage a real Big Bad could do.
He reached out, then stopped. Vampire. New vampire.
“Buffy’s always been a bitch,” she said, tossing back her hair. “I never liked her. Did she hurt you?”
Spike shrugged away the pain. “Not really. Who are you?”
The girl frowned as if she couldn’t quite remember, then smiled. “ I was graduating today, but there was a big fight and a bigger snake and I got bit. I think I’m a vampire now.”
Spike laughed harshly. “You are that all right.” He lit a cigarette and started to go.
“Wait up. What do I do next? Where do I go?”
“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn,” Spike drawled in his best Clark Gable impression.
The girl came closer. Spike raised an eyebrow. She had quite a figure and he was missing female company since Dru had - well, since he was on his own.
A man had needs, after all, and he wasn’t like Peaches. How that wanker could turn his back on a delectable piece like the Slayer and go off brooding into the night defeated him.
“Can I tag along with you then?”
He hesitated. He had a feeling that those big eyes and tits might become a bit boring after a while, but she’d only get herself staked if he left her on her own, and hey, just because the Slayer was feeling love-sick, there was no reason for him to follow suit.
“Pretty please. I’ll do anything you want. And I’ll even tell you all about Buffy Summers and how nasty she’s been to people.”
She pressed herself against him and his body reacted almost against his will.
“OK. For a couple of days. What’s your name?”
“I think it used to be Harmony.”
“Harm.” He grinned evilly. “That‘s a great name for a vampire. Mine’s Spike.”
The girl laughed. She thought Buffy Summers was an idiot for beating up on this guy. “I think I’ll just call you my Blondie Bear.”

another meeting follows shortly. Reviews would be good.