Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone reading this. I am submitting this short chapter this morning and maybe the next 'catalyst' of a chapter tonight or tomorrow morning.
YOU NEVER CAN TELL



Chapter 12:


A/N: If you’re reading this fiction, then you may notice I have no title on this chapter. I couldn’t bring myself to entitle it because of the plot line in this one. Too ‘difficult’ for me to write, but not like the next one will be. Anyway, Happy Mother’s day and please read.’


Buffy sat it the ‘doctor’s office of the clinic, waiting to talk with this Lorne guy Faith had taken her to see. The blond teen fidgeted, nervously with her blouse buttons as she bit her lower lip and played with her hair. Faith was out in the clinic’s lobby, since Buffy wanted to do this part alone.

Lorne was kind, funny and very gentle with Buffy as he took her tests. He even tried to joke with her, kind of. After the torturous drive up here to the clinic, Buffy would laugh at anything.

The drive to the private clinic had been torture for Buffy. Almost all the way, neither Buffy or Faith said much of anything. After the women had driven through Santa Barabara, then turned on a country road off the beaten track? Buffy realized just how ‘private’ this clinic/hospital must truly be.

After lying to her parents, and Spike about where and what she would be doing that day, Buffy waited at a bus stop for Faith to pick her up. The two women barely greeted each other when Buffy got into the car, and fortunately, said little on the ninety minute drive north.

Buffy had made up some story about going shopping with Anya, all day. Some special date thing or something they needed new things for. When Buffy came home without the purchases? She had no idea what she’d make up then.

However, once Faith pulled into the secluded clinic’s parking lot, she turned off the ignition and turned to Buffy. The older woman had a very serious expression on her face and Buffy flinched when she spoke.

“I want to give you a little advice, Buffy,” Faith began, her tone was much gentler then ever before. “Whatever you find out today, in that place,” she motioned to the huge clinic with her chin, “think very carefully about what you’re going to do afterwards. Either way,” Faith continued with a scowl, alerting Buffy to the fact that the woman knew, already, that she was pregnant. Just as Buffy knew.

‘Either way?’ Buffy thought with a shudder, ‘oh God,’ she wanted to cry, again.

“If you are,” Faith said slowly, “then I think you should tell William. No matter what you decide to do. I know my nephew, believe it or not, and I know he’ll step up to the plate and pay his dues.”

‘Pay his dues,’ Buffy thought sadly, ‘yeah, like I want to force my Spike to pay his dues.’ Buffy was completely miserable, but she shook her head, stubbornly at her companion.

“No,” Buffy sighed heavily, “I never want Spike to know anything about this. Either way,” she finished with a frown. Her bottom lip trembling as she tried not to cry, again.

“I see,” Faith frowned again and stared out the front window of her car. “So you’re going to what? Go to some distant town, for a visit to a non-existent Aunt?” Faith asked bitterly with a shake of her dark head. “Did that, B,” she continued in a somewhat sarcastic voice, “didn’t work out.”

“What did you do with your baby?” Buffy asked, suddenly, unashamed for her prying, for some reason.

“He wouldn’t marry me,” Faith spat, angrily, “the bastard I was seeing was married. Couldn’t give up his position in the community. Wouldn’t leave his wife and five kids to be with me,” she went on in a a little softer tone now. “Not like my nephew, William. He’d marry you in a heartbeat, you’re his Princess, Buffy. He loves you, I can tell just by the way he talks about you.”

“Though I know why you’re worried about ‘that’ kind of marriage. I can read you like a book and you think you’ll be forcing him, don’t you?”

“Wouldn’t I?” Buffy asked sadly, feeling one tiny tear drop slide down her cheek.

“It’s a matter of how you look at it,” Faith stared at the young girl she was trying to ‘help’ out. “You’d only be forcing my nephew into a marriage if ‘he’ didn’t want it. I have a feeling he would want it, but, that’s between the two of you.” She finished with a derisive laugh and opened her car door.

“Faith,” Buffy whispered softly, “what happened to your baby?” She had clasped the older woman by her arm and forced her to look again into Buffy’s green eyes.

“I got rid of it,” Faith replied in the most bitter tone that Buffy had ever heard from anyone.

“Rid of it?” Buffy murmered, confused, momentarily, then… “oh, my God,” the blond teen finally realized exactly what Aunt Faith meant.

‘She had an operation,’ Buffy thought, shocked, to herself. ‘My God, they’re illegal, dangerous and…’

“Let’s go, Buffy,” Faith ordered sternly, “you’ll be late for the appointment I made you and while Lorne’s a doll? He can be a prick, too, about time and money that is. He’s doing you a favor, because of me, so…”

As they had walked up to the clinic front door, Faith had clasped Buffy’s arm, firmly and spun the girl to look at her.

“Whatever happens, whatever ‘you’ decide, Buffy,” Faith sighed deeply and looked into Buffy’s eyes. “Don’t become ‘me’ under any circumstances, some wayward, wandering soul. Don’t waste your life and feelings running from everyone and everything you love, and that love you.”

Buffy nodded, silently.

Buffy sat in the office, waiting for Lorne to come back with her pregnancy results. Actually, Buffy had been shocked to ‘learn’ that anyone could have these kinds of test results back so quickly. She always thought they took days and days and…

“Miss Summers?” Lorne opened the door of the little room and stepped inside, holding that big new file all about her.

By the neutral look on Lorne’s face, Buffy couldn’t read too much as to the results. Whatever Faith had told this man, Buffy was sure she had explained that Buffy was single, very young and unready for children.

‘That’s why the neutral expression,’ Buffy reasoned with a sinking feeling in the pit of her tummy. ‘I’m pregnant and Lorne’s not sure how to break it to me. It’s supposed to be happy news, right? Not…’

“Miss Summers, Buffy,” Lorne began quietly as he sat down in front of her, taking her hand in his large but tender one. “You are pregnant, honey,” he added gently, probably to lessen the shock.

“I know,” Buffy stunned him by responding, simply, in a little girl’s voice. “I…” then she burst out into tears.


A/N: Okay, a little, short chapter to lead into a very long one, next time. I’m trying very hard to finish the next chapter and submit it tonight, or tomorrow morning. (On my way to Mother’s Day brunch…weird huh? A chapter like this on Mother’s Day?)Anyway, the next chapter is going to be angstsy, but please read it and remember ‘I am Spuffy all the way’ so things may get somewhat better? Maybe? Okay…thanks for reading and please review. Luv, Spuf