Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: Thank you to everyone reading this. Please keep with the story, there are some surprising twists coming up in this chapter and the next couple of chapters.
I'm putting a sexual situation warning on this, however, it's more for the things discussed in this chapter.
YOU NEVER CAN TELL



Chapter 13: ‘Too Young’

A/N: Thank you for reading this fiction. This is the part of the story that is going to get pretty rough for me to write. I’m trying to make it as realistic as possible, but write it with as much compassion as I can display on paper. Thanks.


“How?” Buffy asked Faith as they drove back to Sunnydale, after the ‘bad news’ that is.

“Well,” Faith began quippily, “apparently you two kids have been bangin’ the gong and not using protection?”

“No, I meant, no…that’s not what I meant,” Buffy felt the tears threaten again. Even though she was sure she had cried herself out, hours before.

Taking a deep breath, Buffy whispered softly, “I mean ‘how’ did you take care of your problem, from before?”

Without missing a beat, Faith swerved the car over to the side of the road and flipped off the ignition, yet again. She turned to Buffy with angry, dark eyes and responded with a growl.

“I told you,” the dark woman hissed, harshly. “I got rid of it. In a lovely little white house, right outside of Sunnydale on a rainy night. Just after my sister threw me out of her house in England and I snuck back into town, unobserved by my loving family. I have always had some ‘friends’ here,” Faith stated in her harsh, bitter tone. Is that enough of an answer for you, cheerleader?”

Buffy began to cry again, quietly and shook her head, “I’m sorry,” she sobbed, “so sorry, Faith, please forgive me for asking. I wanted to know so I could, maybe talk to ‘them’ about it and…”

“You can’t be serious?” Faith gasped in shock at her blond companion. “Are you aware that ‘that’ is illegal and ‘they’ are dangerous?” Faith’s chocolate brown eyes were full of anger and fear as she stared Buffy down.

‘Aunt Faith has Angel’s eyes,’ Buffy thought, a little surprised at this realization. ‘Or, I guess it’s Angel has his Aunt’s eyes?’

“Please,” Buffy whispered in her strained, desperate voice. “I need to at least have the option…I’ll think about it. I promise and and I won’t just jump to a decision. I promise, Faith, please tell me what to do. Who to go to. I need your help and I can’t tell Will, I can’t. He’ll marry me, out of pity. I’ll ruin his life and ultimately, mine. So please, tell me who to talk to.”

Buffy continued to plead with the older woman, for her silence and her help. Finally, the blond teen had broken the woman down enough so that brunette nodded her head, albeit reluctantly.

“I’ll give you the name and number you need,” Faith sighed deeply, “and,” she added, “I won’t tell my nephew, or anyone else about this. But I’m warning you, Buffy,” she continued, “this ‘operation’ is no picnic. It’s not a walk in the park and certainly not like having your tonisils out. Eating lots of ice cream, afterwards. If you go through with this? You’ll not only be putting yourself in danger physically, but legally, and,” the woman frowned “emotionally,” she finished on another bitter note.

“I know,” Buffy said softly, with a sniff. “But what choice do I have, Faith? I’m too young to have a child, but more importantly, it would ruin Will’s chances of ever making anything of himself. Rupert and Jenny want him to go to college and get a degree. He can do it, too. He’s brilliant, you know that?” She murmered, lovingly.

Buffy smiled, softly, despite her present inner turmoil and watched as Faith’s expression lightened. “He loves you, very much,” the Aunt smiled and patted Buffy’s little hand.

“I love him,” Buffy nodded, wiping her tears from her face, “too much to tie him down. At least while he’s so young, has his whole life ahead of him.”

“So do you, Buffy,” Faith reminded her. “You’ve got your whole life ahead of you and you really, really need to think about this.”

“I know about those ‘old’ ways that girls got rid of their babies,” Buffy mumbled with a hot blush. “We, me and Anya? We’ve talked about them. Anya’s Granny worked for an old Doctor when she was younger. The doctor confided in her about, things, the old ways that girls used. She told Anya about the things girls had to do, and still do, to fix their problem. It’s awful, Faith, you know that. Things seem to always go wrong with them and…” Buffy trailed off, without finishing the sentence.

With a nod, Faith turned back to the steering wheel and then turned on the ignition. She sighed again, heavily, and muttered, “don’t ever try any of ‘those’ ways, Buffy. You’ll end up dead, for sure.”

Buffy lay in her bed, night after night, after the encounter with Faith and Lorne. It had been over a week since she found out that she was indeed pregnant with her darling William’s child. She never let on. Never told anyone, except Faith, of course, and the cover up was killing Buffy by inches.

To everyone around her, Buffy presented herself as the model girlfriend, daughter, sister and friend. Since it was winter break, Buffy didn’t have to hide her emotions from her school chums, or teachers. Only from the people she loved the most, her family and of course, Spike/William.

Finally, after a week of torture, Buffy decided to call the number that Faith had given her. Recluctantly, Buffy made her decision, alone, and discussed the needed plans to fix her present situaiton.

Everything was in place for Buffy, except for the ultimate charade that she needed to pull off. This last part of her plan included her best friend, Anya Jenkins, which would be the the trickiest part of all. Buffy had to bring Anya into her confidence, completely, now and it was going to be difficult, to say the least.

“I can’t see you tonight,” Buffy whispered to Spike, over the phone in her bedroom. “I promised Anya, I mean, I said I’d spend the night with her. Friday, I know, but I promised Will. Saturday too, and then maybe I can see you, on Sunday?”

Spike felt that Buffy’s tone rang false, for some reason. His own insecurities flared up, but he tried to put on a false bravado.

“Sure,” he mumbled with a pout that his love did not see. “I’ll hang out with Xander, I ‘spose,” he grumbled. “Rather be with you, but if you promised…”

He’d noticed that his girl, Buffy, had been acting strangely for weeks now. Ever since before Christmas, but he decided to write it off as the flu, or Holiday stress, or all of it.

“I guess I’ll just hang out with Xander, play pool and talk about our absent girlfriends,” Spike sighed in frustration. He pouted, again, for good measure, into the phone, even if his girl couldn’t actually ‘see’ it.

“I love you,” Buffy suddenly blurted out in answer. “I’ll always love you, Will,” she murmered, trying to cover the tearful voice.

“Buffy? What’s wrong, sweetheart,” Spike was beginning to get very nervous. Something was definitely wrong and he couldn’t get anything out of Buffy. Hadn’t been able to, for weeks.

“Say it back,” Buffy hissed, desperately, into the phone, “tell me you’ll always love me, Will, please!”

“Of course, baby, always,” Spike responded firmly, “I will always, always love you. Forever.”

Buffy sat, on the Jenkins front room couch, her head hung low. She’d been crying, for an hour as she ‘tried’ to explain things to Anya, everything to her.

“You can’t do this,” Anya wailed, holding her best friend as much as she could. “It’s too dangerous, Buffy, please don’t. Tell Spike, he’ll marry you. He’ll…”

“That’s the problem, Anya,” Buffy sobbed uncontrollably, grateful that Anya’s folks were gone for the night.

“Spike ‘will’ feel like he has to marry me and I can’t do that to him. I can’t,” Buffy wiped her face, then Anya’s. The blond girl was beginning to wonder just who was comforting whom here. “Daddy’ll just murder Spike for this and then send me away to have the baby. I’ll have to give it up, for sure and Anya, I don’t think I can. I mean, if I go through with it, have it and hold it? How could I just give it away like that?”

“But Buffy,” Anya cried, her voice was cracked with fear and pain for her friend. “If you have that horrible operation? You’re losing the baby anyway and what if something terrible happens to you? They’re not safe, honey, they’re not even real doctors that do those things. I’ve told you that.” Anya was going from scared, hurt and crying to angry, frustrated and more angry, quite quickly, Buffy noted.

“I’m going to take a bus to the corner of the block the house is on,” Buffy shook her head stubbornly. “I’m going alone, to the place, so if anything ‘does’ go wrong, it can be said that no one knew about this, but me. Faith is going to drive over in her car, afterwards, after I call her, and drive me to a friend’s house, up north. We’ll stay there, until Sunday night and I’ll call you, my folks, everything to keep the coverup going. I can’t tell you, Anya,” Buffy held her shaking friend close too her, her own body trembling in fear.

“I can’t tell you how much this means to me, your helping me out, here. Thank you, thank you so much for covering for me. With my folks, with Spike and everything. I know you hate this, so do I, but I have to do this, Anya.” Buffy began to cry again, softly and Anya hugged her tightly to her.

“I hate lying,” Buffy continued, her voice and body shaking, “but I have to do this. I know you hate lying too, that you’re only doing it to help me. Promise me, Anya,” Buffy cried desperately, “promise me that you’ll never, ever tell Spike or Xander about this. It’ll kill Spike, and Xander? He’ll go crazy and do something really stupid. You know that, right?”

Anya just nodded her head, silently as she wiped at her own tears, again. “I promise,” the brunette girl sniffed, “I’ll never tell anyone, not even my guy, Xander.”

“Thank you,” Buffy pulled Anya tightly to her, in relief. “I have to go now,” she mumbled in a teary voice. “By the time the bus gets to the place, I’ll nearly be late for my…” Buffy’s voice trailed off, weakly and she left the sentence unfinished.

“Oh, God,” Anya cried, clasping Buffy to her as she tried to leave the Jenkins’ home. “Please don’t, Buffy, I’m begging you, please don’t do this.” The young woman broke down crying, harder, and tried to hold Buffy back inside.

“I have to,” Buffy murmered, almost in a daze, “no choice. We’re too young, Spike and me. It’s for the best, sweetie, I believe that. Please believe it too.”

Buffy pulled away from her bestest friend in the whole world, except for Spike, of course. She smiled, sadly, at Anya and slipped out of the front door of the Jenkins’ house.

Anya Jenkins watched her best friend in the whole world, except for Xander, of course, shuffle down the street of her block. When Buffy’s blond head disappeared from her view, Anya glanced at the big Grandfather clock in her folk’s living room.

“It’s nearly 7:00 PM,” Anya noted quickly. “Xander and Spike should be at the Bronze, shooting pool by now. I can get there in five minutes,” she continued her conversation with the empty room.

She grabbed the car keys to her folks’ station wagon and then hurried out the front door of her house. Anya locked the front door and nearly ran down the front steps, and walkway to the car.
Gazing down the street, in the direction that Buffy had headed, she opened the car door and hurriedly started the engine.

“I’m sorry, Buffy,” Anya whispered, “or maybe, I’m not,” she added. “I do hate to lie and I love you too much to let you put yourself in this danger.”

As she drove the car in the opposite direction of the way Buffy walked, Anya began to cry again. When Anya had made that promise to Buffy, she knew, inside, that she was going to break it, immediately.

“I’ve got to break my promise, honey,” she sniffed, speaking to a friend that wasn’t even with her. “I have to tell both Xander and Spike what’s going on. They can save you, Buffy. They can find you and stop you. Please, Buffy, please forgive me for lying to you.”


‘Too Young’ (by Nat King Cole)


‘They try to tell us we’re too young
Too young to really be in love
They say that love’s a word
A word we’ve only heard
But can’t begin to know the meaning of

And yet we’re not too young to know
This love will last though years may go
And then some day they may recall
We were not too young at all’


A/N: I split this chapter in half from my original plan. The next chapter is going to be the really rough one for me to write and I felt
It needed to stand on it’s own.

Will Spike, Xander and Anya confront Faith and find out where Buffy has gone? If so, will the trio find our Buffy in time to stop this? I would like to note here (for the younger readers) that since this is 1963 in the United States, abortion was illegal then. The operation itself was rudimentary and often times a disaster for the mother. Many young girls died during or after the surgery, or were permenantly damaged female wise.

I will put a A/N at the beginning of the next chapter warning readers about the possible scenes. Please understand, I am not making any political statements here, one way or the other.
I’m only trying to write a story about a desperate girl who is making a desperate choice.

I will drop a hint here, now, however as to the next chapter’s title:
It’s going to be entitled: ‘You Never Can Tell’ (like this fiction!) and that should give you a heads up on how the plot line just might go. Thanks for reading and please review, Luv, Spuf