Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for this site and you readers. Thank you for reviewing!
YOU NEVER CAN TELL



YOU NEVER CAN TELL


Chapter 15: ‘Chapel of Love’


A/N: Please bear with me, my computer is going wonky! Anyway, this next chapter might be a bit off, sorry. I may not have my historical facts too straight, but hey, it’s Spuffy, right?!?
The title says it all…


“How?” Buffy was asking her ‘fiance’ Spike Giles, for the umpteenth time that night.

“How are we going to get married? Without our parents’ consent?” Buffy was more then perplexed, she was completely lost on this one.

“Texas,” Xander blurted out, suddenly. He’d been so quiet, since the ‘rescue’ situation, Xander had, that his sudden imput shocked everyone in the room.

Spike, Buffy, Anya and the Jenkins’ dog, Elvis, all stared at the dark haired Harris boy, in wonder.

“Texas?” Anya muttered. “What’s in Texas?” Xander’s beloved asked bluntly.

“The Alamo!” Xander replied, indignantly, “and Well, my friend, Jesse Green, for one,” Xander shrugged. “You remember me talkin’ about Jesse, right Spike?”

Spike nodded his head, a little confused as to why Xander would bring this up at this time.

“Jesse’s dad, he owns a construction company. In Houston,” Xander rambled on, matter-of-factly, “there’s lots of work in Houston, Texas,” Xander offered. “And not just in the oil fields.”

“Besides,” the brunette teen mumbled with a blush, “the ‘age of consent’ laws in Texas are more lax then up here, in California. I think the girl has to be only 16? The guy has to be 18, I think. No,” Xander scrunched up his dark brows and sighed, “I know it. Jesse got married last year, to a 17 year old girl, Winnefred. He wrote me and told me so. Jesse’s 19 now, but he was only 18 last year and I know his dad and mom didn’t sign papers. They were against the marriage but Fred was pregnant,” Xander blushed again and averted his eyes from his cousin.

Spike’s ears perked up at this and he squeezed Buffy’s tiny, warm hand, tightly. “So Buffy and me,” the blond teen began, hopefully, “we could go to Texas and get married? Without consent? Just our birth records and…”

“Right,” Xander nodded in self-satisfaction. “And I’m sure I could put in a good word, with Jesse’s dad and all. Get you on at his construction company?”

“Texas,” Buffy murmered, a little unsure of this whole thing. “I don’t know much about Texas, but I guess I could learn?” She squeezed her Spike’s hand back, tenderly.

“I’ve got a lot of cash stashed away, in my savings,” Spike added, brightly. “It’ll tide us over, for a while. We’ll have to scrimp, for the most part, Princess,” he gazed at his future wife and ran his left hand down her cheek, tenderly. “Until I can get a regular job and save. But we could do it, right?” He pulled Buffy to him, snuggling her so tightly that she could hardly breathe.

“It’ll be okay, Will,” Buffy murmered in near relief. She had not felt so safe, comfortable or secure in weeks and right now Buffy chose to relish this wonderful feeling.

“I can’t believe I won’t be your maid of honor,” Anya sniffed, apparently feeling totally left out by all this plotting. “Thought we’d be each other’s maids of honor,” the girl continued, wistfully. “I guess I thought we’d be pregnant together, raise our brats up together and everything.” Anya began to cry, softly, and Buffy pulled away from Spike to cuddle her best female friend to her.

“You know, if I could,” Buffy grasped Anya’s face in her hands, gently, “that I would definitely have you for my maid of honor, Anya Jenkins. But…”

Buffy joined in with Anya’s soft sobbing and began to cry also. The two girls held each other, tightly, and sobbed in each other’s arms.

“Thank you,” Buffy whispered into Anya’s ear. “Thank you for breaking your promise,” she finished by placing a tender kiss on Anya’s cheek.

Xander and Spike watched their significant others cry their guts out. The two males looked at each other, seemingly mystified at the nature of females, in general.

“So,” Spike finally spoke up, “you think you can get me work in Texas? In construction?”

By 3:00 AM, the next morning, Spike and Buffy had finalized their plans, basically. At 3:30 AM, Spike and Xander were shooed out of the Jenkins’ home by the two girls. Anya’s parents would, no doubt, have a complete report of the activities that had occurred at their home, by the nosy neighbor, Mrs. Walsh. So, Buffy reluctantly, sent Spike with Xander, to his house for the next two days.

It was all planned out, to a tee. Buffy would spend the weekend with Anya, therefore, not having to act normal around her family, especially her dad. On Sunday, Buffy would go home, carrying on the charade that everything was status quo and prepare to return to school on Monday.

In the meantime, Spike would go about his usual routine, no questions asked by his loving family.

On Monday, however, when Spike came, as usual to pick up Buffy for school? The couple would drive right past Sunnydale High and to the city limits. After that? They would take Highway 101 down to Interstate 5 and then down out the Interstate to catch Route 66. By the time school let out, after 3:00 PM? Buffy and Spike would be in Arizona and headed to Houston, Texas and their new life together.

On Sunday, Xander had called Jesse Green and filled him in on the plans of his cousin and friend. Jesse had agreed to help the couple, for Xander’s sake, and assured them all that his dad could always use a good, strong back in the construction business.

Sunday night, Spike, Buffy, Xander and Anya had met at Willie’s Burgers to say goodbye, for now.

“We had our first unofficial date here,” Buffy whispered, tearfully as she snuggled into Spike’s warm arms.

“It’ll be okay, baby, promise,” Spike assured Buffy as he placed soft kisses on her head and forehead.

“I love you guys,” Buffy murmered, sincerely, smiling softly at her cousin, Xander and his girl, Anya. “Thank you, so much,” she continued in a shaky voice.

“I love you, Buff,” Xander nodded, kissing Buffy’s hand tenderly. “Me too,” Anya squeaked, tearing up herself.

“You’re the best,” Spike nodded at his best friend, Xander and his girl. “Cept for my girl, here,” the blond smiled as he cuddled Buffy even closer to him.

Monday morning, Spike told his parents goodbye, as if he was just stepping out for a pack of cigarettes and coming right back. He never looked back at his house, never even gave it a second thought. Buffy and their child were was his ‘life’ now and it would do not good to dwell on the homefires, so to speak.

Buffy kissed her father goodbye, just before he headed to his factory.

“I love you Daddy,” she whispered at his disappearing form as She watched him saunter off, to the garage and drive off in his El Dorado. Joyce had driven Dawn to school, earlier and would not be back before Buffy left. Therefore, no one had noticed the rather large suitcase that the blond teen girl had packed, carefully for her trip to Texas.

When Joyce and Dawn had headed out, to leave, Buffy kissed them both goodbye, for once, and she was sure they noticed something amiss. If they had? Neither one of the them showed it, only Joyce acted a little surprised at Buffy’s display of affection.

“I’m going to study, with Anya, after school,” Buffy had lied and convinced her dad and stepmother. “I’m having dinner with the Jenkins,” she continued, carefully. “Staying the night,” she added, carefully. “We have this cheerleading thing that’s going to take forever,” Buffy explained, lying through her perfect white teeth. This gave Spike and her an extra few hours to put space between them and Sunnydale.

When Spike got to Buffy’s house, he hurried to the front door and found his girl waiting, patiently, for him. Without a word, Spike took the suitcase from Buffy and then her hand as he walked her down to his car, parked in front of the Summers’ house.

The couple drove out of Sunnydale’s city limits, past the ‘Welcome to Sunnydale’ sign and onto Highway 101.

“I love you,” Spike murmered to Buffy, as he pulled her little body closer to his.

“I love you,” Buffy sighed softly, resting her blond head on her guy’s strong shoulder.

Neither Spike, nor Buffy even glanced back at Sunnydale, as they drove farther and farther away from their home.


Eastern California, the desert and all, had been a blur to Buffy and Spike. He’d driven, all the way, especially since driving and Buffy were unmixy things anyway.

Spike scanned the stations, on his DeSoto’s radio, trying to find some decent music to play for them. Every so often, the couple stopped to eat, and do other necessary things, but mainly, they drove, on into the eastern horizon.

By the time the couple had reached the borders of Arizona, about 7:00 PM that night, they were both exhausted from the drive, their emotions and the situation in general.

“We’ll get a place, in Kingman, Arizona,” Spike whispered softly, pulling his Buffy from her half sleep and cuddling her, once again.

“Uh huh,” Buffy murmered, hazily. “No!” she cried, suddenly, making Spike jump up in his seat.

“I mean,” Buffy gasped, desperately. “I want to be married, Will,” she blushed, “before we, you know, again?”

“Yeah,” Spike nodded, sleepily. “It’s okay, Princess, we’ll be married before we make love again. Promise. Just as soon as we get to Texas. Which should be by tomorrow night.”

The hotel lobby man gave the couple the ‘evil eye’ and a smirk, then a room key. Buffy shuddered at the disgusting look in the old man’s eyes as he handed Spike the key to the room of the Best Western.

“Asshole,” Spike muttered, clutching Buffy to him as he led her upstairs to their room. Before either of them could say a decent goodnight to each other, they had fallen asleep on the comfy bed.

The next morning, Spike and Buffy got an early start and headed towards New Mexico, and ultimately, Texas. They had a quick breakfast and drove, steadily through the New Mexico desert.

“It’s pretty,” Buffy sighed softly, staring out at the vast, desolate span in front of them.

“That it is, baby,” Spike cooed, nodding and smiling down gently at his little treasures.

By late evening, the couple had made it to Amarillo, Texas and pulled into a gas station to refill.

“Got a question, mate,” Spike greeted the station attendant, a young guy, about his age.

“Where can a bloke and girl get married? Quick like?”

The young man scratched his head and stared at Buffy, who was half asleep in the DeSoto’s front seat.

“How old?” the kid asked, bluntly.

“My girl’s seventeen and I’m eighteen,” Spike replied, a little defensively.

“There’s a chapel, about ten miles from here,” the teen motioned down the road with his chin. “Me and my wife got married there, by Reverend Caleb Montgomery. I was seventeen, Trish was sixteen. All’s you need is your birth records, nothin’ more.”

“Tell Caleb that Tito sent you, friend,” the young man grinned at Spike kindly. “He’ll ask no questions if you do.”

Spike paid the bill and hopped into the car, turned on the ignition and drove off down the road to this ‘chapel of love’ that the attendant had recommended.

Buffy woke up, kind of, when Spike pulled into a church parking lot and tousled her, gently.

“Wake up, sweetheart,” he whispered tenderly, “it’s your wedding night.”

“I don’t have a proper dress,” Buffy sighed, wistfully.

“You’re wearing a beautiful dress, luv,” Spike assured her as he took her little hand and kissed it softly.

“Okay,” Buffy nodded in her little girl voice.

Spike got out of the car and held his hand out for his Buffy to take. He escorted her to the chapel, his arm wrapped, protectively, around her still tiny waist.

“Can I help you,” the brunette, somewhat good looking male of about thirty asked Spike as he led Buffy into the chapel.

“I need to see Reverend Caleb,” Spike said, nervously, “Tito sent me and…”

“I’m the Reverend,” the brown-eyed man replied, eyeing Buffy and Spike, appraisingly.

“Birth records?” the preacher asked, mechanically.

“Yup,” Spike replied, just as mechanically.

Caleb Montgomery motioned for Spike to follow him, indicating that Buffy should stay behind, momentarily.

“Your girl,” the preacher began, carefully, “is she?”

“Yes,” Spike replied simply. “She is.”

“Do you love her?” the preacher inquired, gazing into Spike’s blue eyes.

“More then anything in the world,” Spike replied firmly.

“Okay then,” Caleb nodded with understanding, “let’s get this show on the road.”

“Mom,” the preacher yelled down a dark hallway, “we’ve got a wedding to do.”


“I’ll get some flowers,” an obviously old woman’s voice replied in response from the end of the hall.

“Thanks mate,” Spike muttered to the preacher.

“No problem,” Caleb Montgomery replied with a smile. “This is the Chapel of Love, after all.”


‘Chapel of Love’ (Original by The Crystals)


‘Goin’ to the chapel
And we’re gonna get ma-a-arried
Goin’ to the chapel
And we’re gonna get ma-a-arried
Gee, I really love you
And we’re gonna get ma-a-arried
Goin’ to the chapl of love

Spring is here, the sky is blue, whoa-oh-oh
Birds all sing as if they knew
Today’s the day, we’ll say ‘I do’
And we’ll never be lonely anymore, because we’re


Goin’ to the chapel
And we’re gonna get ma-a-arried
Goin’ to the chapel
And we’re gonna get ma-a-arried
Gee, I really love you
And we’re gonna get ma-a-arried
Goin’ to the chapel of love

Bells will ring, the sun will shine, whoa-oh-oh
I’ll be his and he’ll be mine
We’ll love until the end of time
And we’ll never be lonely anymore, because we’re

Goin’ to the chapel
And we’re gonna get ma-a-aaired’



A/N: Amen to that brothers and sisters! Spike and Buffy are married, good and proper now…Thanks for reading and please review. Luv, Spuf