YOU NEVER CAN TELL


Chapter 1: ‘Girls Talk’


A/N: Sigh, I was going to hold off on this chapter, until I got a couple of reviews for my last chapter of Na Grach Croi? However, I am really stoked (okay, again I date myself here!) about this fiction. I’m really, really writing a bunch of future chapters (in my head on this one). Please, please read this and review, tell me what you think? Thanks, Luv, Spuf

Also, someone E-d me and asked me about the title of this fiction. Where I got it, and all? Well, actually, it’s the title of an old Chuck Berry song and I felt it was apprapoe to the story and the time frame of it. If you’re familiar with song, then you’ve already gotten the hint of some future plotlines. Thanks, luv Spuf


Buffy Summers slowly walked through the front door of her Dad and Stepmother’s house. It was once Buffy’s house, really, when her own Mom, Elizabeth, was still alive. However, since that awful day, when Buffy found her Mom, dead on the master bathroom floor? This house ceased to be a real home, to Buffy anyway, and became an empty ‘shell’ of a place. Merely a ‘house’ and nothing more.

“I’m home,” Buffy called out, to no one in particular. She was well aware that her dad, Hank, was still at work. His precious factory, his real ‘baby’ was the focus of her dad’s life. Not even Joyce, Buffy’s stepmom, or her stepsister, little Dawnie, would ever rank up there with the ‘factory’ that Hank held dearest.

“Hello, Buffy,” came Joyce Summers’ light, cheerful voice. “I’m glad you’re home, now, that is,” the older woman added, shyly.

Since day one, after Hank had married Joyce Corrigan? Buffy had made things a bit difficult for the older woman. She had made it clear, from that day on, that Joyce would never replace her own Mom, Elizabeth, in Buffy’s life. Even if Joyce brought a built-in little sister, for Buffy that is, with her.

“How was cheerleading practice,” Joyce asked, a little bashfully. The new Mrs. Summers was well aware of the fact that her stepdaughter, Buffy, was more then leary of her.

“Okay,” Buffy shrugged, a little too indifferently. She walked past Joyce, as she’d done for the last three years, and headed up to her room.

“Buffy,” Joyce called out to Buffy, halting the teen in her tracks. “I’d like to talk to you, privately, that is,” Joyce finished with authority.

Buffy sighed, heavily and turned to face her stepmother. She tried not to notice the interested, eager look in Joyce’s blue eyes.

‘I can’t let her in,’ Buffy told herself, firmly. ‘She’s not my mother,’ she reminded herself, reluctantly.

“Please, Buffy?” Joyce asked quietly, her expression was almost desperate now.

“Okay,” Buffy sighed again and slowly headed down the stairs to the front room.

“Please sit down, Buffy,” Joyce motioned to the avacado green plush couch. Buffy flinched as she realized that her poor stepmother was treating her, Buffy, like a guest in her own home. Of course, when did Buffy ever ‘let’ the older woman treat her as anything else?

“Buffy,” Joyce began, carefully, “I want to talk to you, about Angel, about a lot of things.”

Buffy leaned back onto the couch and nodded, silently, “yeah,” she replied, in more of a question then an answer.

“Buffy,” Joyce began again, “do you really ‘like’ Angel Crawford?”

Buffy flinched and set up on the couch, a little shocked at her stepmother’s question.

“Well, yeah,” Buffy stammered quickly. “Why would I date him, if I didn’t at least like him?” She was beginning to feel a little cornered now and began to feel her hackles going up.

“I don’t know,” Joyce stuttered, averting her eyes from Buffy’s. “Just a feeling, as a woman. Sometimes,” Joyce continued, “I think you date Angel, just to please your father?”

“You don’t know that,” Buffy mumbled under her breath. “How do you ‘know’ why I do the things I do. You…”

“I want to be your friend,” Joyce blurted out, suddenly, causing them both to blush profusely. “I want to help you, Buffy,” the woman whispered softly. “I know I’ll never replace your mother, Buffy,” Joyce continued in a soft, almost soothing voice. “But I’d like to try and be your friend, please.”

Buffy felt an old familiar tug at her heart. The one she used to feel, all the time, when Mama was alive. Even if her real mother, Elizabeth, had turned from Buffy in the last few months of her life. The blond haired teen knew, deep down, exactly what her own mother thought about her, back then. Elizabeth blamed Buffy, in her own mind, for all of her own sorrows. For all of the losses that Elizabeth Summers had dealt with, well after Buffy was born.

Shaking off the bad memories of that time, Buffy looked into Joyce’s light blue eyes. She’d never noticed, not really, before this, that Joyce had the kindest blue eyes she’d ever seen. Except for one other person’s, but Buffy couldn’t think about ‘him’ right now.

“We can try,” Buffy replied in a little girl voice that she just hated. She couldn’t help herself, she needed this woman’s friendship, her affection and more then that? Buffy needed Joyce’s listening ear, her advice and opinions. Simply put, Buffy needed a mother figure, someone to talk to, confide in. Someone older, wiser and definitely, Buffy needed an ally like Joyce in her life.

“Okay,” Joyce smiled warmly as she took Buffy’s little hand in her own larger, but comforting one. “We’ll try,” the older woman patted Buffy’s warm hand.

“About Angel,” Buffy stammered, shyly, “I do like him, really, Joyce. But…”

“You don’t love him, do you?” Joyce finished Buffy’s sentence for her.

“No,” Buffy shook her head and answered firmly. “I don’t, and I never will. Angel is a ‘nice’ guy, safe and of course, acceptable to Daddy.” Buffy scowled, her brows scrunched together in anxious thoughts.

“You’re awfully young still, Buffy. There’s so much life ahead of you and if Angel isn’t going to be a part of it? Then so be it,” Joyce said softly, already starting with the motherly advice.

“I know, but Daddy likes Angel enough for all of us,” Buffy actually giggled a little at this vocal thought. “Maybe Daddy should marry Angel,” she began to laugh loudly.

Joyce joined in her stepdaughter’s infectuous laughter and without thinking, hugged the teen to her. She was rewarded for her affection when Buffy did not pull away from her.

‘It’ll be better,’ thought Joyce Summers with relief. ‘We’ll be friends.’


Spike lay on the hood of his De Soto, his beloved car and stared up at the stars in the black night’s sky. His thoughts, as usual, were on a certain little blond pixie of a girl.

“Buffy,” he sighed loudly as he pulled a cigarette from his jacket pocket. He lit the smoke and took a deep, satisfying drag, chuckling a little at the thought of his Father, Rupert Giles.

Rupert Giles hated the fact that Spike smoked, hated the fact, really that his only child, William, even went by the nickname Spike. But, that’s the way it was, after all, and Spike had no intention of giving either his smoking habit or his moniker up.

Spike’s thoughts returned to Buffy, his obsession. The blond teen sighed again, deeply, and remembered back to this afternoon, watching Buffy doing her rah rah thing.

Buffy was an angel to Spike, the perfect girl, for him anyway. Problem was? She was dating his idiot cousin, Angel, and probably would end up marrying the ponce someday.

The thought of Buffy being married to that dickhead, Angel, upset Spike so much, that he tossed his half smoked cigarette out with a curse.

“She belongs with me,” Spike growled at the stars, angrily. “Even if I’m so far beneath her, Buffy should be mine,” he growled loudly to the empty night air.

“So go get her,” came Xander’s deep voice, from behind the De Soto. Xander must have crept up the Giles’ front lawn to find Spike moping about on the hood of his car.

“When the hell are you going to go sweep my little cousin off of her feet, man?” Xander chuckled as he hopped on the hood of the car, next to Spike. The dark haired teen lit his own cigarette and grinned down at his blond counterpart.

“Harris,” Spike growled a warning at his best friend, “let’s not go there, okay?”

“Why not?” Xander countered, “I’ve already told you that Buffy is not in love with Angel. So, what’s the problem? You move in on your cousin’s girl and save her from the dickhead, right? You’d be doing Buffy a favor, believe me,” Xander added with a frown.

“What’s that?” Spike asked, a little puzzled by Xander’s change in mood. “Why would me taking Buffy from Angel be doing ‘her’ a favor?”

Xander frowned again and took another, calming drag on his cigarette. He pondered something for a minute, then shrugged.

“If I tell you something, friend,” Xander began, hesitantly, “will you swear to God you won’t go ape and break something? Especially my neck?”

Spike sat up on the hood and reached in his pocket for a smoke, nodding at Xander as he did. “Won’t go nuts, won’t break anything, especially your neck, Harris,” Spike chuckled and smirked at Xander.

“Well,” Xander sighed, “I found out something, from my Anya, just tonight. That’s why I headed over here, to tell you. I don’t always come around for your great company, you know?” Xander grinned again, then shook his dark head slowly.

“It’s about your wonderful cousin, Angel,” Xander mumbled, “he’s been ‘unfaithful’ to Buffy. In fact, word is, that he’s always cheating on my cousin.” Xander frowned deeply and took another drag on his cigarette, allowing Spike to digest this bit of news.

“What!” Spike growled, somewhat like a lion, and leapt from the hood of the car. “Are you sure?” he asked Xander angrily.

“Yup,” Xander nodded, “my girl told me, tonight at work. She dropped by and it was the first thing out of her mouth. I told you, man,” Xander continued, “Buffy tells Anya everything. But, then again, so do some of the other rah rah chics. Seems that Angel’s been doing the horizontal bop with Cordelia Chase, when he’s not with Buffy, that is.”

“That fucking bastard!” Spike hissed, clenching and uncleanching his fists together. “How could he cheat on Buffy? With that Chase bitch!”

“What I don’t understand,” Xander scratched his dark head, “is why Cordelia would even tell Anya this? She knows how close my girl and Buffy are? Why?”

“To break Angel and Buffy up,” Spike whispered sadly in realization. “The bitch is going to try and break them up, as a couple that is. Jesus,” Spike spat, “to think that Angel would fuck up his relationship with Buffy, just for a piece of ass.”

“I know,” Xander nodded, his tone was not so cocky as before. “It’ll hurt Buffy, at least I think it might, maybe not though.”

“How’s that?” Spike asked, again confused.

“I told you, I’m not sure Buffy even likes your cousin, I know she doesn’t love him. If Angel and her were to break up? Might be the best thing for Buff, save her from the bastard.”

“Yeah,” Spike murmered, staring off at his front door. “It might be, huh?”

“And,” Xander continued, knowingly, “if there was a big bad young stud like you around? You know, to pick up the pieces of our Buffy’s broken heart? If her heart is even broken? Wouldn’t that just be fucking great?” Xander chuckled, heartily and jumped up from the hood of the car.

“Think about it,” Xander said, firmly. “I’m going home, why? I don’t know, but I am. Give some thought to going to that stupid ‘end of the summer party’ your Uncle Liam always throws. I know you hate your dick of an uncle, but it might be the way to get close to Buffy. She’ll be there, so will Anya and me. So, think about actually showing up this year, huh?”

“Yeah,” Spike whispered, now staring at the ground, “I’ll think about it, a lot.”

Spike shot his best friend, Xander, a sympathetic look. The blond teen knew what Xander’s home life was like and how much his friend hated going home, for any reason. It was probably just one of the reasons that Xander had become friends with Spike and that the two teen males spent so much time together. Xander’s father was a known drunk, his mother was well…gossiped about, a lot in Sunnydale.

All in all, Xander’s miserable home life helped Spike realize how truly lucky he was to have a dad like Rupert Giles, and a wonderful mum, like Jennifer. Poor bloke, Xander, probably said two words to his folks, or his younger brother, in a week. At least Spike’s parents talked to him, and each other, warmly.

“Take care, man,” Spike called to Xander’s retreating leather clad back. “And thanks, mate,” he said even louder.

“No problem, buddy,” Xander called back, without turning around.
Spike watched his friend leave, until the dark haired teen’s figure disappeared around the corner and out of his sight.



‘A week later’


“What are you going to wear to the party?” asked ten-year-old Dawn Corrigan-Summers as she watched her older stepsister prepare for the gala. The younger, dark haired girl was stretched out on Buffy’s pink covered bed, swinging her legs back and forth as she ‘helped’ her stepsister decide on her outfit.

“I don’t know,” Buffy sighed indifferently, staring into her huge closet, totally lost in thought. “I was thinking about the pink, sundress thingy, but…”

“Wear it! Wear it!” Dawn cried, gleefully. “You looked so pretty in it, Buff,” Dawn squealed in delight. “In the dressing room, the other day. Please wear that one, Buffy, please!”

Buffy grinned at her young step-sister, warmly. No matter how things had started, with her new family, Buffy had always harbored a soft spot for this little dark-haired, blue-eyed dynamo. The girl had been the only real bright spot in Buffy’s cloudy life since her own mother had died. What difference had it made if the girl was a step-sister, she was a sister, at least?

“Okay, Dawnie,” Buffy smiled affectionately at the antsy girl. “I’ll wear the pink party dress.”

“Yeah!” Dawn cried out again and leapt from the bed. “Wear your hair down, Buffy,” she ordered brightly, “down and around your shoulders. Angel will just go crazy over you!”

“Yeah,” Buffy whispered, “crazy over me. That’s what I want,” she sighed, sarcastically.

Dawn didn’t seem to notice Buffy’s sacrastic remark as the younger girl started pawing through Buffy’s shoes. “These,” Dawn thrust a pair of pink strappy sandals at Buffy. “These are the perfect match, Buff,” Dawn grinned, her face lit up like a Christmas tree.

“These,” Buffy chuckled, taking the shoes from Dawnie and sitting down on her bed. “For you, Dawn, I’ll wear these, okay?”

“Okay, Buff,” Dawnie clapped her hands together and plopped down, next to Buffy on the bed. “Can I ask you something, Buffy,” Dawn questioned, almost shyly.

“Sure,” Buffy answered, breathlessly as she bent to slip on the pink shoes.

“About Angel,” Dawn began, her little voice was almost bashful now, Buffy noticed. “Don’t you love him?”

Buffy stopped putting on shoes and glanced at Dawn. She was surprised to realize that the young girl had ‘noticed’ her own coolness towards Angel, after all.

“No, Dawnie,” Buffy sighed sadly, “I don’t.”

“Then why do you date him?” Dawn asked with all of her ten-year-old innocence.

“I don’t know sometimes, honey,” Buffy slumped her shoulders and stared at her feet. She saw that her pink toe nail polish matched her shoes, perfectly as well.

“I guess because Daddy likes him so much. Angel’s dad is our Dad’s business partner and…”

“That’s no reason to date some guy, Buff,” Dawnie shook her dark head, wisely. “If you don’t really like him, and don’t love him? Why bother?”

“You’re pretty smart for a ten-year-old goof ball, aren’t you Dawnie?” Buffy touseled the brunette’s hair, gently and rewarded the girl with an affectionate smile.

“Yeah, I am,” Dawn grinned back up at her idol. “So are you Buffy. I think you just need to cut Angel lose and find somebody you like better? Don’t you?”

Buffy gazed at her little ‘sister’ lovingly, “yeah, maybe you’re right, honey,” she sighed softly. “Who do you think I should ‘like’ better?” she asked the girl warmly.

“Xander’s friend,” Dawn responded, immediately, “the one he calls Spike. I think he’s dreamy, Buffy and I bet he really likes ‘you’ you know?”

“Dawn,” Buffy sighed again and took the girl’s hand in hers. “Dad would bust a gut if I started dating Spike Giles. You know that, right? Dad would have a heart attack if I broke up with Angel, but to date Spike? Oh, brother!”

“Who carers,” Dawnie giggled wickedly, “you should date who ‘you’ want Buffy Summers. And I bet, even if I’m only ten, that Spike is the one you should be with. I’ll even tell you this,” Dawn lowered her voice, conspiratorially, “I know a secret.”

“Secret?” Buffy asked with a raised brow.

“Uh, huh,” Dawnie giggled, wildly. “Spike Giles really likes you, honest.”

“Dawnie,” Buffy drawled, searching the young girl’s blue eyes for the truth. “You don’t know that and you shouldn’t be…”

“He does,” Dawnie nodded, vigorously. “Xander told me, honest. At the beginning of summer, Xander told me about how Spike’s all moony over you. Spike is just too noble to make a move on his cousin’s girl, and besides, I guess Mr. Spike Giles is a little afraid of you.”

“Afraid,” Buffy gasped in disbelief, “of me?” she asked, still a little stunned at Dawn’s words.

“Yeah,” Dawnie sighed. “Xander says that Spike thinks he’s not good enough for you, Buff.” The young girl sighed sadly, “I think he’s good enough for you, right Buffy?”

“Yes, Dawnie,” Buffy murmered, hugging her sister to her. “Spike Giles is certainly good enough for me.” The blond teen said nothing more, just sat and held her little sister to her, tightly.

‘He does like me,’ Buffy thought to herself, still a little stunned. ‘Spike Giles really does ‘like’ me after all,’ she mused, suddenly quite happy by this revelation.

“Dawnie,” Buffy suddenly piped up with a large grin. “I will wear my hair, down around my shoulders, that is. Mr. Spike Giles is going to be at the party, tonight. Xander told me, so…”


A/N: Well, what will happen at that party tonight? Will Buffy find out about Angel’s cheating and break up with him? Will Spike get up the nerve to make a move on Buffy? Who will go home with whom??? We, shall see, but here’s a hint. I said right off that Spuffy would happen quickly in this story!!!

Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf