YOU NEVER CAN TELL



Chapter 2: ‘I Only Have Eyes For You’


A/N: Things are starting to ‘heat’ up with Spuffy, slowly, yes, but it’s happening! For those of you reading this fiction…have you noticed that I’m using a lot of song based titles for the fic and chapters?





Buffy was ready and waiting, in the front living room, for her ride. Xander, her cousin, and his girl, Anya, one of Buffy’s best friends were going to drive her to the ‘end of summer party’ at Angel’s.

Angel was tied up, at his house, with the last preparations for the party, and Xander had insisted that he and Anya escort Buffy to the gala. Buffy was just as happy to have her safe cousin pick her up and bring her home. It beat the heck out of having to ‘deter’ Angel from making the moves on her, after the party that is.

“In my day,” came Hank Summers’ deep voice, “a young man came to the door and escorted his date to the event.”

“Daddy,” Buffy sighed in exasperation as she walked over to where her father stood in the hallway. “Angel’s not picking me up. He’s too busy at his house. Xander and Anya will be driving me there, and home tonight.”

“Hmmm,” Hank Summers murmred with a scowl. He disapproved of Xander Harris, his late wife’s nephew. More then that? Hank Summers disapproved of Xander’s parents, especially the boy’s father, Lavelle Harris. Amy Harris, Elizabeth’s younger sister, was bad enough, but her husband? The man was little more then the town drunk, a loser and reprobate.

“I don’t like you cozying up to Xander, Buffy,” Hank frowned at his daughter. “He’s bad news. The leather clad group he hangs with? Nothing more then hoodlums and…”

“Xander is a good guy, Daddy,” Buffy sighed again. “Besides, my bestest friend, Anya, dates him. You know that ‘she’ comes from money and status. Anyway,” Buffy added with a little pout, “I think we could make an effort for poor Xander, can’t we Dad? He’s got it so bad at home and mom would have wanted us to kind of look out for him, right?”

“Maybe,” Hank grumbled lowly. “But I don’t like the fact that Xander Harris is sniffing around here, after you, honey,” he grimmaced. “I know he’s trying to be a good cousin, but he isn’t first class, after all. Not like Angel, anyway,” Hank finished with a snort.

“No,” Buffy murmered softly, “not like Angel, that’s for sure.”

A honk, from out in the street, heralded the coming of Buffy’s ride, in the form of Xander’s prized 1961 Bel Aire convertible. Buffy grinned at her cousin's timing and grabbed her sweater from the coat rack by the door.

“I’ll be home, just after midnight, Dad,” Buffy squealed in excitement as she glanced at the awaiting front door and outside. Just before she left, Buffy stopped and placed a sweet kiss on her father’s right cheek.

“I’ll be careful,” Buffy assured Hank Summers. “Promise,” she finished with a dazzling smile.

Hank Summers never could resist his daughter’s ‘sweet’ side and he accepted her kiss, happily. He loved his only ‘real’ child, desperately, even though he knew she doubted his love.

Buffy hurried out of the front door and headed straight for the powder blue and white, two-toned Bel Aire beauty that belonged to Xander. It wasn’t that Buffy really cared about the stupid party she was headed to, no. She just wanted to spend some time with her cousin, Xander, and his beloved girlfriend, Anya.

When Buffy spied the blond, leather clad Spike in the back seat of Xander’s car, she stopped, dead in her tracks. Her heart began to beat rapidly and she felt like she might pass out from the shock.

“Hope it’s okay that Spike goes with us, Buff,” Xander called out to his cousin. “Thought you wouldn’t mind, huh?”

“No, no, I don’t mind,” Buffy stammered nervously. And she didn’t really mind that is. But the sight of this Adonis of a male, Spike Giles, so close to her, so near? It kind of gave Buffy the heebie geebies.

“Hi Spike,” Buffy nodded, nervously, at the teen in Xander’s back seat.

Spike smiled up at Buffy, then suddenly bolted out of the car, over the side that is, and quickly opened the door for her. He, Spike, Buffy noticed, blushed profusely, as he held the door for her.

“You look gorgeous Buffy,” Anya giggled as she glared at Spike. Apparently, Buffy’s friend was trying to goad the blond into saying something about Buffy’s outfit.

“Yeah,” Spike whispered, a little awe struck, “you do look gorgeous.”

“Thanks,” Buffy whispered in response and settled into the back seat of Xander’s car. Spike climbed in, next to Buffy, kind of. Actually, he sat as close to the right side door as he could, looking straight ahead as Xander drove them to the party.

‘He never goes to this thing,’ Buffy assured herself. ‘He’s always saying how bloody stupid these things are and all. Why tonight?’ she asked herself.

‘She’s a bloody Goddess,’ Spike told himself. ‘Venus herself pales in comparison to Buffy Summers,’ he continued, all poetic like.

‘Slow up there, now mate,’ Spike ordered himself, ‘let’s not get all poncey and such. ‘Buffy doesn’t even know you exist. Never has and…’

“Spike,” Buffy murmered to her back seat companion, “I didn’t know you liked these kinds of parties. What changed your mind?”

‘She noticed,’ Spike realized, a little stunned. ‘Buffy noticed I haven’t gone to Angel’s stupid ‘tea parties’ before.’ The blond teen felt a renewed sense of hope by Buffy’s question.

“I, I don’t, normally,” Spike mumbled as he tried not to stare at Buffy’s legs. “I just wanted to go to one, see what I ‘wasn’t’ missing,” he finished on a sarcastic note.

“You haven’t missed much,” Buffy responded with a girlish giggle. “Just your Uncle Liam, making a fool of himself. Angel’s not much better, he…”

Buffy stopped, abruptly, and blushed bright red. “I’m sorry,” she whispered softly, “I shouldn’t have said that. About your Uncle and Angel I mean.”

Buffy felt like a real witch. She had just insulted Spike’s family, two of them at least, in one sentence. Yup, Buffy felt like a real bitch, to put it mildly.

“No worries,” Spike chuckled out of the corner of his mouth as he lit a smoke. “My Uncle Liam and my Cousin Angel are a couple of ponces.”

With a wicked grin, Buffy glanced outside of the open air car and took in the sights of Sunnydale. She never said another word, even as the group pulled up in front of Liam Crawford’s fine house.

The party was in full swing by the time the four young people arrived at Angel’s house. Decorations and people, young and older filled the front room and spilled out into the backyard, by the pool.

Angel’s backyard was nearly an acre in size and this always just floored Buffy. Even though her Dad, Hank, was Liam Crawfords business partner, an equal in every way, the Summers’ patriach refused to live in some mansion or estate. Therefore, the Summers’ home was much smaller and less grand then the Crawford Estate. It was merely a very nice, well kept two-story house, with a normal back yard, however, it did boast a large pool.

The Casa de Summers was upper crust, yes, but not so overwhelming as the Crawford home. Buffy did envy the lovely gazebo that the Crawfords and erected in the far end of their back property. It was a hidden, haven, quiet and tranquil. Even if Angel had succeeded in dragging Buffy out there, to be alone and hidden from the adults, on more then one occasion.

“Damn, Spike,” Angel called from the side of the living room, “I’m shocked you’re here! And in pants other then blue jeans for once!” Angel laughed loudly as he approached Buffy’s group and immediately took her in his arms.

“You look gorgeous, baby,” Angel purred into Buffy’s ear, loud enough for half of the room to hear. “Doesn’t she look good enough to eat, Spike?” Angel grinned at his cousin and winked.

“She looks amazing,” Spike mumbled, trying not to look his cousin in his stupid brown eyes. “Buffy always looks amazing,” he added with a sincere smile, albeit a little shy one, at her.

“Thank you Spike,” Buffy whispered and smiled back at the blond teen. “You look nice too, Spike,” she murmered, softly.

“What about me, babe,” Angel asked, frustrated that ‘his’ girl was complimenting ‘his’ cousin and not himself. In fact, come to think of it, Angel was a little confused by Spike’s appearance at this particular party in general. He’d never come before, something Angel really didn’t mind, but here he was, tonight, with no date of his own.

“No date, cousin,” Angel eyed the blond, suspiciously, then looked at his girl, Buffy. An ugly scowl graced the dark teen’s usually angelic face. Something like jealousy fired up in Angel’s dark eyes as he nodded at Xander and Anya, briefly.

“Let’s go get you something to eat, baby,” Angel grumbled, half-heartedly, “you’re too skinny anyway. Let’s get some food into you.”

With that half hinted insult to ‘his girl’ Angel steered Buffy away from her three companions and into the dining area. “Cordelia and Scott are already here, sweetheart,” Angel was heard to say, loudly as he swept Buffy to the other big room.

“Asshole,” Spike hissed as he watched Angel take off with Buffy.

“Dickhead,” Xander grumbled in response to Spike’s description of his cousin.

“Let’s eat,” Anya broke in quickly. “Come on,” she whined at Xander, and Spike. “Buffy’s in the dining room, with the food and probably that bitch Cordelia. If we go eat, we can watch that fool Angel and Cordelia try not to drool over each other in front of their dates. It’ll be a blast!”

“Anya,” Xander rasped as he gave his girl a frown. “Buffy being embarrassed or hurt by Angel is not fun!” The dark haired boy shook his head, but shrugged at Spike. “You know Anya,” Xander explained, “she’s a little ‘out’ there sometimes. Her sense of humor is how would you Brits say it? Oh yeah, bent.”

“It’s not like Buffy is going to fall apart if Angel and her break up, believe me,” Anya sighed. “I told you baby,” she glared at Xander, somewhat lovingly of course, “Buffy doesn’t even like Angel, at least I don’t think she does. I should know, she’s my best friend.” The brown-eyed blond shook her curly head and grimmaced, briefly.

“Besides, if Buffy found out about Angel and Cordy? Then it would give the poor girl and out with her Dad, Hank. That way,” Anya continued, matter-of-factly, “Buffy could break up with Angel and still not tick off Daddy. Hank Summers might be a real idiot when it comes to his daughter, but he does love her. If old man Summers found out that his sweet daughter’s so called boyfriend was cheating on her? Oh, man,” Anya chuckled loudly. “I’d love to see just how fast Mr. Summers would ‘make’ his Buffy break up with the moron. Hank Summers, old geezer that he is, could probably kick Angel’s a…”

“We get it, Anya,” Xander mumbled, a little embarrassed that someone might have overheard.

“She’s right, Spike,” Xander said as he motioned to his best friend, “let’s go get some food. The Crawford’s always lay out the best table and I’m starved. Besides, Buffy will be there, in the dinining room, probably being force fed by Caveman Crawford. Let’s go rescue the poor girl, huh?”

“Okay,” Spike replied with a frown.

‘I swear to God,’ Spike thought to himself, ‘I’ll get a dance with Buffy. A slow dance, first, before that ponce of a cousin of mine gets his hands on her.’ This made Spike feel a lot better, as he followed his friends into the dining area.

Buffy sat on the fancy dining room chair, placed there, no doubt just for her. She watched as Angel filled up her plate for her from the massive feast that was laid out on the dining table. Everyone in line just hung on every word Angel said, even if Buffy didn’t and it was kind of stomach turning. Especially the ease that Angel had in sucking up all the overbearing hero worship he was getting.

‘Oh Brother!’ Buffy thought to herself with exasperation. ‘Angel really buys into this hero worship stuff. I hate it!’

She tried to look away, concentrate on something else, that’s when she noticed that Spike, Xander and Anya had entered the dining area. The trio was staring at her, almost sympathetically. Buffy shrugged and rolled her eyes at the gang, delighted when Xander laughed loudly and Anya giggled. She noticed that Spike just gazed at her, almost longingly.

‘Golly,’ Buffy sighed silently, ‘Spike Giles has the bluest eyes. I can see the color of them, from here even and…’

“Where’s your mind, baby,” Angel’s deep voice broke into Buffy’s inner conversation. She snapped to attention and took the full plate her boyfriend offered her.

“Thanks,” she murmered, softly. Angel flopped down beside her and Buffy got the feeling that he was not going to stop staring at her, until she finished at least half of her plate.

“Mmmm, good,” Buffy mumbled as she ate the fancy salad that the Crawford cook had prepared. Even if her heart wasn’t in it, however, the truth was, Angel was right about this. Buffy did not eat enough, ever.

‘Why the heck can’t we just have hot dogs and cole slaw for Heaven’s sake,’ Buffy thought, a little put off by the fancy feast before her. ‘We’re mostly all teenagers for goodness sake! Why all the hoopla and show?’

“There’s our girl,” Liam Crawford gushed as he joined the couple and stood in front of them. Buffy glanced up, reluctantly and saw that Angel’s mother, Caroline was with him.

‘Oh dear God,’ Buffy groaned inwardly. ‘Now my evening is complete. Let me think,’ she thought, nervously, ‘oh Buffy…you look like a movie star. Like that Sandra Dee girl. Oh Buffy, I just can’t wait to help you pick out your wedding dress for marriage to my boy! Oh Buffy, we just looovvveee you…’

“Hello Mrs. Crawford, Mr. Crawford,” Buffy greeted the couple, warily. She had made sure to plaster a polite, respectful smile on her face as she tried to make conversation with the Angel’s folks.

“Buffy!” Caroline Crawford gushed, “you look just like a movie star tonight! Doesn’t she Liam?” The older woman hugged Buffy, tightly.

“Just like that little pixie of a girl, Sandy Dee,” Liam gushed, patting Buffy’s slim shoulder with his big meaty hand. “Can’t wait until the children marry up and start giving us grandchildren, eh, Carol? They’ll be gorgeous, our little grandpups!”

Angel smiled, benevolently, at Buffy, not noticing, apparently, that his girl friend looked as if she was going to be sick. Of course, Buffy noted, quietly, Angel never noticed things like that, did he? Especially Buffy’s reactions, or her feelings in general.

“Can we steal our handsome son from you, Buffy,” Liam winked at her with a secret smile. “Some business people I’d like the boy to meet, outside.”

Buffy nodded, eagerly and motioned for Angel to go with his parents to meet the so-called business people. Frankly, Buffy was just relieved that Liam and Caroline had not asked her to join them outside. She was sure she’d be bored to tears, listening to these ‘people’ gushing and falling all over themselves for the Crawford clan.

Spike watched as Angel left with his Aunt and Uncle. Xander punched him on his arm, non-too-gently, and pointed, openly at Buffy.

“Go get her, buddy,” Xander chuckled. “Oh, listen,” the dark haired teen stopped laughing and glanced towards the living room. “Is that a slow tune I hear? Did I notice some kids dancing, actually together, when we got here? Spike,” Xander hissed, “go dance with her.”

Spike nearly stumbled over to Buffy, relieved, estatic really, when she seemed ‘happy’ to see him.

“Hi Spike, having a good time?” She asked shyly, her pretty face pink with shyness.

“Not really, you?” he responded with a sly smirk.

“No,” Buffy shook her head sadly when she answered him.

“Wanna’ dance?” Spike blurted out, rather too loudly he realized.

‘Bloody idiot!’ Spike hissed to himself. ‘Real smooth, Spike, make a complete arse out of yourself before…’

“I’d love to,” Buffy whispered, sitting her half eaten plate of food down, on a nearby end table. “Thank you,” she murmered as Spike took her hand and led her into the living room.

“I love this song,” Buffy said in a breathy tone. “It’s dreamy!”

“It’s good,” Spike agreed, somewhat, quietly. He shyly took Buffy in his arms and respectfully placed his left hand on her tiny waist. His right hand rested on her slim, bare, silky shoulder.

‘It’s perfect, actually,’ Spike thought to himself with a secret smile. ‘Says exactly how I feel about my Buffy.’





‘I Only Have Eyes For You’

‘Are the stars out tonight?
I don’t know if it’s cloudy or bright
Cause I only have eyes
For you, dear’
“You do looking smashing, luv,” Spike whispered into Buffy’s warm little ear. The one nearest to his lips. He was nicely surprised when the little blond laid her head on his shoulder and purred a thank you to him.

“So do you, really, Spike,” Buffy whispered a muffled reply, into his shoulder.


‘The moon may be high
but I can’t see a thing in the sky
Cause I only have eyes,
For you, dear’


“Buffy,” Spike murmered, pulling her little body closer to him. “I want to, I mean,” he stammered, embarrassed by his lack of a real smooth line to say to his dream girl. Now, especially, since he had her in his arms.

Buffy pulled her head back and looked, deeply, into Spike’s indigo blue eyes. She saw the real emotion in them, truly saw it, for the first time in a long time. Spike’s eyes were open, honest and his feelings were as real as the sound of laughter from the other guests about them.

“Spike?” Buffy tilted her head to one side and just continued to gaze into his eyes.

“What is it?” she asked, a little breathless, for some reason. Almost as if she anticipated some sort of life altering event to take place at any moment.

“This song,” Spike finally mumbled, “it’s true. I mean, it’s how I feel about you, Buffy,” he blushed, embarrassed, but held her green-eyed gaze with his.

“Really?” Buffy asked, a little stunned, but smiling softly.

“Really,” Spike swallowed hard and returned her sweet smile. He had to fight the urge to just lean in and kiss this girl on her pink, lush lips.

Buffy’s smile turned into a huge grin and returned her head to Spike’s strong shoulder. “Thank you, Spike,” she murmered, her cheek resting on the leather of his jacket.


‘I don’t know if we’re in a garden
Or on a crowded avenue…

You are here, so am I
Maybe millions of people go by
But they all disappear from view
And I only have eyes,
For you’



A/N: I was going to continue this ‘party chapter’ but decided to splice it in half and go into the next chapter with it. A lot is going to happen in the next chapter, promise. I’ll give you a heads up. Buffy is going to learn of Angel’s deceit, in a real eye-opening way. Spike is going to ‘come’ to the rescue and it will definitely be the beginning of Spuffy. I promise.

Thank you so much for reading this fiction. Please review…luv, Spuf