YOU NEVER CAN TELL


Chapter 4: ‘He’s A Rebel’


A/N: Thank you to all readers and reviewers for this fiction. I cannot respond personally, as my computer won’t let me.

This fiction probably seems a bit fluffy at this point, but I assure you, it will get angstsy, soon. Just not in the way you might think. Anyway, thank you for reading this…Luv Spuf


After kissing, passionately, for who knew how long? Buffy pulled away from Spike, rather reluctantly.

“What?” he mumbled with a stunned, disappointed look on his face.

“I,” Buffy began with a bright red blush. “I shouldn’t be doing this,” she finished, averting her eyes from his. “It’s too soon,” she mumbled, under her breath.

“Too soon?” Spike asked, his voice a whimper of lost contact, “why?”

“Oh, Spike,” Buffy sighed deeply as she finally met his gaze again, “if we ‘go too far’ tonight? Then don’t you think that you might kind of wonder why? I mean,” she stammered, nervously, “if we let this get out of hand, you’ll wonder if I just did all this to get back at Angel. And I would hate that, Spike, really,” Buffy finished in a raspy whisper.

“Because?” Spike asked with a raised brow and a soft smile, “why would you ‘hate’ it if I thought you were just using me, Buffy?” He finished by tucking a stray strand of blond hair behind her ear.

“Because I really like you, Spike,” Buffy murmered, all flushed and embarrassed again. “I do, always have. Just like you like me, right?"” She glanced into his blue eyes, a little timidly, afraid she had misread his signals?

“Right,” Spike chuckled, clasping her petite body closer to his own. “I like you a lot, Buffy,” he responded by kissing her forehead, tenderly. “More then that, really, but for now, I’ll leave it at ‘like’ and all.” He had no intention of running his Buffy off by proclaiming the depths of his feelings to her. They’d take it slow, he’d let her feelings for him build, naturally.

“Okay,” Buffy smiled and nuzzled Spike’s neck with her lips. She was rewarded by another kiss to her forehead from Spike and the feel of both his warm hands, making soft, whispery circles on the back of her party dress.

After a few moments of comfortable silence, in which Spike and Buffy just held each other, tightly, he broached the inevitable subject.

“Would you go out with me Buffy, sometime, I mean?” Spike hated the way his voice sounded, all whimpy and sappy.

‘God,’ he groaned, inwardly, ‘I’m such a poncey, stupid bloody…’

“Well, of course, silly,” Buffy giggled in reply, her face a lovely shade of pink blush. “When?” she asked with another giggle.

“Now!” Spike blurted out, too quickly. “I, mean,” he took a deep breath and slowed down his words, “I mean, how about tomorrow? If you’re not busy and…”

“Well,” Buffy frowned, briefly, “I suppose I’m not busy, now, that is. Since I broke up with my so called boyfriend just a couple of hours ago?” She broke into a huge grin and poked at Spike’s ribs with her right index finger. “Remember?” she giggled again.

“Yeah,” Spike replied, sheepishly, “I’m sorry Buffy. Sorry my idiot of a cousin is such a bloody fool. Sorry he hurt you so much. The arse,” he finished with an exasperated sigh.

“Don’t be,” Buffy shook her head and sighed herself, “it’s my ego that’s a little dented, nothing else. I have a really bad confession to make, Spike,” Buffy admitted, hesitantly, “I never really truly loved Angel, but I never told him I did, either,” she added quickly.

“In fact,” Buffy scowled, thoughtfully, “I don’t think I even like Angel very much.”

Spike broke out into loud, raucous laughter, which caused Buffy to join him and giggle nearly as loud.

“I’m awful, huh?” Buffy finally calmed down and asked her ‘date’ honestly.

“Not ever, luv,” Spike replied, still chuckling a bit, “Angel’s a ponce and way too big on himself. Not anything real likeable there, so why would that make ‘you’ awful?”

He pulled Buffy back into his embrace and nuzzled her warm, golden head with his mouth. ‘She smells like lavendar, and vanilla,’ he sighed silently, in pleasure.

“So,” he spoke in a muffled voice, “how about it? You and me, a real date, tomorrow night?”

“I’d like that,” Buffy whispered, “I’d love to,” she finished, firmly.

“I’ll have to ask my folks,” she frowned, thinking of her Dad’s reaction to Spike Giles showing up at his door. To take out his daughter that is.

‘I can handle Daddy,’ Buffy assured herself, with confidence. ‘I want to go out with Spike, so I will,’ she thought stubbornly.

“I’ll call, you, in the morning and settle it, then,” Spike grinned down at this little gem in his arms.


When Buffy and Spike got to the Summers’ house, he insisted on walking her to the front door. She gleefully accepted and they walked, hand in hand up the long walkway to the white oak entryway of her home.

They talked, quietly, for a moment, then he leaned in and kissed her luscious, pink lips, chastely.

“I’ll talk to you, in the morning, pet,” he murmered softly as she let herself into her house. “Sweet dreams, sweet,” he added.

“Sweet dreams, Spike,” Buffy replied, just as softly. “And thank you, for tonight,” she winked at him, then blew him a kiss with her tiny right hand.

Buffy ran right into her father, Hank Summers and his wife, Joyce, sitting in the darkened living room, on the couch. Their presence startled her, completely, and she almost dropped her open pink purse on the floor.

“Dad, Joyce,” Buffy mumbled, embarrassed, momentarily, “why the cover of darkness?” She glanced about the room, unsure if even Dawnie might not be present.

“Why did you leave Angel’s party so soon, young lady? And with that Spike Giles, of all people?” Hank Summers growled in his lecturing voice.

“What? Did Angel call you and whine, Daddy?” Buffy hissed, suddenly quite defensive.

Joyce shot Buffy a sympathetic look, and the young blond teen realized she just might have a real ally in her stepmother. This gave Buffy a real novel idea…tell her Dad the complete, absolute truth. Don’t hedge on anything that had happened at the party and enlighten the man on just what kind of a boyfriend Angel really was.

“Before we go into 20 questions, Dad,” Buffy said, evenly, “I think you better hear my side of the story. I’m pretty sure if it was Angel that called you, then he certainly didn’t give you all the gory details.”

“Go ahead, honey,” Joyce interjected before her husband could say another word. “Your Dad and I, we want to hear you first, okay?” The older woman turned and looked at Hank, who was sitting with his mouth open in awe. “Okay, Hank?” Joyce asked firmly, giving Hank a ‘you better say yes’ look.

“Go ahead, Buffy,” Hank sighed, frustrated at being usurped by the two formidable females.

“Daddy,” Buffy began softly, still standing in front of the older couple. “I’ve never loved Angel Crawford, I want you to know that. So before I tell you what ‘he’ did to bring all this about tonight? Just know that Angel Crawford is a pompous, arrogant idiot that probably just dated me to ‘look’ good to his Dad. Much like I did him, for your sake.”

“Now Buffy,” Hank began quietly, “I do think Angel is the right material for you, as a boyfriend and husband, but if you…”

“No, Daddy,” Buffy shook her head, “I want you to understand, finally. Simply put? I’m pretty sure that both Angel and I dated each other to please you and his dad. Anyway, Angel is ‘not’ good boyfriend and husband material, not for me, that is. I’m not sure he’ll be a good enough for any nice girl, really. He’s a cheater, a liar and pretty cruel at times, so who knows what kind of man he’ll become when he finally grows up?”

“Buffy,” Joyce interrupted, briefly, her voice gentle, , “what did Angel do?”

“I caught him, with Cordelia Chase, in the gazebo. They were passing second and rounding third, Daddy,” Buffy stated, firmly, noting her Father’s shocked expression.

“What’s second and third, Buffy,” Hank nearly hissed the question, apparently understanding some aspect of the terms. The bright red of his face proved that.

Buffy had to stifle a chuckle, “well ‘the bases’ Dad. Second is groping certain female parts and third is…”

“It’s pretty big, dear,” Joyce broke in, halting Buffy’s explainations. “Third’s quite major, really and…”

“Never mind,” Hank groaned, “but that still doesn’t explain why Spike brought you home, Buffy,” he glared at his daughter, kind of. Hank seemed sympathetic to Buffy’s plight and horrible evening, but would not approve of that Giles’ boy. Ever.

“Spike felt that since he and Xander escorted me, then they should bring me home. I didn’t want anyone to miss out on the fun of the party, because of Angel and me, so I said no. Spike admitted he was not having a good time and insisted on bringing me home in Xander’s car. You see, Daddy,” Buffy said smugly, “Spike dislikes his cousin, Angel, as much as I do. Maybe even more and since Spike is a ‘true’ gentleman, he felt it his duty to escort me home, safely.”

‘There,’ Buffy snorted to herself, ‘put that in your pipe and smoke it Mister.’ She watched her father’s reaction, warily.

“Well, that was very nice of Spike,” Joyce gushed warmly, “I think he sounds like a nice, decent boy. Don’t you think, dear?” She smiled at her husband evenly.

“Maybe,” Hank grumbled, lighting his pipe. The older man sat for a moment, in the silent room and seemed to ponder this new set of events.

“Rurpet and Jennifer Giles are good people,” Hank mumbled between smokes of his pipe. “Very well thought of. Even if their son shamed them, back in England. I suppose their move out here did the boy some good. Yes,” Hank smiled, benevolently, “it was good of Spike to bring you home, dear.” He gave both of the women a smug, self-satisfied smile.

“Thanks Daddy,” Buffy leaned in and kissed her father, tenderly, on his cheek. This caused the old boy to grin and blush himself.

“Oh, Daddy, Joyce,” Buffy turned to head upstairs to her bedroom, “Spike has asked me out, for tomorrow night. I’ll be going with him, so I hope that’s okay.” Buffy stifled another chuckle and hurried to the stairs and to her room.

“Buffy!” Hank called desperately, “just because the boy brings you home, like a real man would? That doesn’t mean you have to date him, to thank him. Send him a damn card or something! He…”

“Hank,” Joyce hissed loudly, “you better rethink your attitude here, Mister,” the woman continued, a little less harsh now. “You said it yourself, the Giles are wonderful people. Don’t you think that your daughter is mature enough to ‘see’ something in their son that reflects their good upbringing?”

“Joyce,” Buffy could hear her Dad reply harshly and she felt a sinking feeling in her tummy.

‘He’s going to keep me from seeing Spike,’ Buffy realized with horrid disappointment. ‘I can’t date a great guy like Spike,’ she thought sadly, feeling tiny, hot tears begin to spill from her eyes. She didn’t turn around and face the couple, just remained with her back to them, by the bottom of the stairwell.

“Spike, he can be trouble, dear,” Hank said, his voice much less harsh then before. “He’s a leather clad hooligan. He’s a rebel. I want something more for my daughter, not a…”

“It’s a date, Daddy,” Buffy cried, finally turning to face her Dad, “not a marriage proposal. I like Spike, Dad,” she coninued, softly. “He’s kind, nice and sweet too. Spike’s more interested in ‘me’ then my father’s status or if I’ll put out or not and…”

“Buffy!” Hank leapt up from the sofa, “see,” he turned to Joyce, his tone harsh again. “Because of one hour with that Spike fellow, my daughter is using terms like…”

“Oh, Daddy,” Buffy shook her head sadly, “everybody says things like that. Mostly guys do, especially, guys like your precious Angel. Daddy,” Buffy walked slowly up to Hank and hugged him, gently, shocking the older man, yet again.

“One of the reasons that Angel cheated on me is because I ‘won’t’ do those things with him. Can’t you be happy about that? Can’t you appreciate the fact that I am a good girl and I don’t do the things with boys that Cordelia and some other girls do?”

“Buffy,” Hank sighed, holding his daughter in his arms, tenderly. “I am very proud of you. Very proud. I guess I’m just afraid for your future, honey. Your mother, she hurt you, I know that, when she, well, did what she did. I don’t want you hurt again, dear, not like that kind of hurt. You’re sure, about this boy, Spike? He won’t hurt you, will he?” The older man’s voice was almost desperate as he searched his daughter’s lovely green eyes for the truth.

Buffy looked up at her father, lovingly, and patted his shoulder with her hand. “Well, Daddy,” she murmered softly, “no one can promise that they’ll never be hurt again, you know that. But I know this,” she took a deep breath and continued, “Spike is the kind of guy that would never intentionally hurt me. That I can promise and I think that should be enough. Don’t you?”

Hank brushed his daughter’s golden locks from her face and smiled at her, affectionately. “Yes, Buffy, that should be enough, I think. So, go out with this Spike, if you think you should. You’re a lot smarter and more mature then I’ve given you credit for, before this.”

“Thanks Daddy!” Buffy squealed loudly and hugged him, again. “You’re both the best!” she called back to Hank and Joyce as she ran up the stairs to her bedroom.


Buffy prepared for bed, humming softly as she did. A soft, timid, knock at her bedroom door broke her train of thought.

“Buffy,” came Dawn’s ten-year-old whisper from behind the door. “Can I come in?” the girl asked softly.

“Sure, squirt,” Buffy giggled as she opened the door for her little stepsister. Dawnie was all wide-eyed and flushed, dressed in her flannel jammies, still half asleep.

“I overheard when Angel called Daddy,” Dawnie yawned widely while she spoke. Buffy motioned for the younger girl to sit on her bed, then flopped down beside her.

“Are you okay, Buff?” Dawn asked, truly concerned.

Buffy wrapped her arm about her sister and pulled the girl into her, in a warm hug.

“I’m more then okay, Dawnie,” she assured the girl, softly. “I’m going out with Spike, tomorrow night. How about that?” Buffy grinned at Dawnie, happy to see the excitement in the younger girl’s pretty face.

“Oh, that’s terrific, Buff!” Dawnie squealed loudly, then lowered her voice. “I think it’s great,” she whispered, her blue eyes filled with glee for Buffy.

“Dad actually agreed to it,” Buffy explained quickly, “maybe he’s not so uppity, or stodgey after all, huh?”

“Maybe not,” Dawnie scowled briefly. “You know,” the excitable girl continued, happily, “this just might lead the way. For me, I mean, when it’s time for me to date? Daddy’ll be less strict with me, right? If you forge the path for us???”

“Could be,” Buffy smiled at her little bright spot, Dawn. “After all, even though Daddy thinks that Spike is such a ‘rebel’ he’s still allowing me to go out with him. That’s something right?”

The two girls giggled together and hugged each other tightly. Buffy got up and turned on her little record player, making sure the volume was way, way low.

When the song began to play, Buffy sat back down next to Dawnie and began to hum the tune. Dawn joined her ‘idol’ and started to hum along.

By the time the singers began their first lyrics, the two girls were already giggling and singing along:


‘He’s A Rebel’ (The Crystals)


‘See the way he walks down the street
Watch the way he shuffles his feet
My, he holds his head up high
When he goes walking by
He’s my guy’

‘When he holds my hand I’m so proud
Cause he’s not just one of the crowd
My baby, oh he’s the one
To try the things they’ve never done
Just because of that, they say….

Chorus:

‘He’s a rebel and he’ll never ever be any good
He’s a rebel and he’ll never ever be understood
And just because he desn’t do what everybody else does
That’s no reason why I can’t give him all of my love
He is always good to me, always treats me tenderly
Cause he’s not a rebel, no no no
He’s not a rebel, no no no, to me

‘If they don’t like him, that way,
They won’t like me after today
I’ll be standing right by his side,
When they all say…

Chorus:

‘He’s a rebel and he’ll never ever be any good
And just because he doesn’t do what everybody
Else does,
That’s no reason why we can’t share our love
He is always good to me, good to him?
I’ll try to be….
Cause he’s not a rebel, no no no,
To me.


A/N: Corny? Hope so….hehehe. Actually, my fourteen-year-old daughter and I were singing this as a duet, together last night. So, it could happen. (My husband, her Dad has always been a rebel).

Next chapter; Spike and Buffy have their date and the Spuffy relationship truly begins. How will ‘everyone’ around them take this surprising turn of events?

Please read and review. Luv, Spuf