YOU NEVER CAN TELL


Chapter 7: ‘Stand By Me’


A/N: Lots of anvils and hints in this chapter, for the future plot line, that is. Thanks, Luv, Spuf



Sunday supper at the Summers’ home, like so many other Sunnydale homes, held a special tradition. Dinner was eaten at precisely 3:00 PM, every Sunday, and usually consisted of beef pot roast and potatoes, salad and biscuits. The Summers’ supper was no exception, except that now, Spike was invited, every Sunday to have dinner with them.

He would show up at Buffy’s house, sans the leather jacket and boots, his hair not slicked back, like usual. Instead, he would dress like a regular guy, pants, button down shirt, regular shoes and his hair was allowed to fall in it’s natural, semi-curly state.

Dinner was a lively affair at the Summers’ home. Hank would talk sports with Spike, Joyce would talk fashion with Buffy and Dawn would interrupt every conversation, as much as she could, chiming in at the most inopportune times.

However, this Sunday afternoon, October 20th, 1963, the topic of conversation was Homecoming. The big Homecoming game was next Friday night. Win or loss by the varsity football team, Sunnydale High’s Homecoming dance was on Saturday, the 26th of October, in the gymnasium.

“I bet Buffy wins Homecoming Queen,” Dawn spouted off between bites of her pot roast. “She’s a shoe in, right Buff?” The ten-year-old’s excitement was infectuous and Joyce couldn’t help but agree with her daughter’s prediction.

“Of course Buffy’s going to win,” Joyce chimed in, happily. “And I suspect that William is going to be her King.”

Buffy gasped and looked horrified with embarrassment at this conversation. “Joyce, Dawnie!” she cried in horror, “please, don’t go on about the silly Homecoming junk. Spike and I couldn’t care less about it, right Spike?”

“Yeah,” Spike blushed as he mumbled his reply. The truth was, Spike really couldn’t care less about any of it. He was only going to the bloody game and dance for Buffy’s sake. Of course he realized that his girl might win the coveted prize of Homecoming Queen, but him? King? Oh, shit, hopefully not. Then again, if his Buffy was the Queen, why would he want some other bloke to win King? Especially Angel, who had the best chance of anyone to win?

Hank Summers gave his ‘girls’ a sobering look and chewed his own pot roast portion, thoughtfully. Buffy’s father watched William Giles, intently, and finally, after he’d finished his last bite, spoke up.

“William,” Hank always called his daughter’s boyfriend, William, not Spike, naturally. “I was wondering, is there something bothering your Uncle Liam?” Mr. Summers stared at the teenager, trying to fathom the young man’s reactions.

Spike blushed, cleared his throat and set his fork down, next to his plate. “Uhm, well, Mr. Summers,” Spike began quietly, “I can’t say for sure. I’m not really close to my Uncle, as you know. But,” he hesitated, briefly, unsure how much he should reveal to his girlfriend’s father.

“If Uncle Liam seems preoccupied lately,” Spike continued slowly, “I’m thinking it’s because my Aunt Faith is back in town. She’s living with Uncle Liam and Aunt Caroline, in their big house. Uncle Liam has never been too keen on my Aunt Faith, but then that isn’t a secret, right?”

Buffy glanced at her Dad and sighed in frustration, fully aware that no one in Sunnydale, including Hank Summers, was too keen on Faith Crawford, or Faith Crawford-Rayne. Whatever it was Spike and Angel’s crazy aunt was going by these days.

“I see,” Hank mumbled as he lit his pipe and grew silent once again. “I didn’t know your Aunt Faith was back in town, William,” he finished with a slight scowl.

“Your aunt?” Joyce chimed in, amicably, “that’s nice William. I’m sure your mother must be pleased to have her baby sister back and near by?”

“Joyce,” Buffy choked out, “uhm, Spike’s mom, Jennifer? She’s not all that close to her little sister, Faith. Neither is Angel’s dad. It’s a family thing, Joyce,” Buffy alerted the older woman to the taboo subject of Spike and Angel’s aunt. “No one talks about this, not much anyway,” Buffy added quickly and stood to help clear the table.

“Why not?” Dawn asked non-chalantly. “Is this Faith lady a kook or something?”

“Dawn,” Hank hissed at his adopted daughter, “that’s enough. This is Spike’s family business, and not to be discussed between us, ever.” He gave Dawnie a stern eye and motioned the girl to help her mother and sister.

When the females had left the dining room, Spike sat, nervously looking at the candles in the middle of the table. He finally sighed and glanced at the closed door that seperated him and Hank, from the ladies.

“About my Aunt Faith,” Spike began quietly, “I don’t mind if we discuss her, Mr. Summers. I’m sure everyone in town pretty much has discussed my mother’s little sis from time to time. In fact, I think we should talk about it. If Uncle Liam is upset at work or something, then Aunt Faith is probably behind it. She showed up, out of the blue, a week ago. Moved herself, her chiuaua and her wardrobe back into Uncle Liam’s house.”

Spike frowned again, but met Mr. Summers’ brown eyes with his own blue ones. “She’s a piece of work, Aunt Faith is,” Spike acknowledged with a nod, “but, she is my Mum’s little sister and my aunt. I suppose the old girl had no where else to go, again, and ended up at Uncle Liam’s.”

“I see,” Hank repeated, yet again and smoked his pipe for a while, in silence.

“I have to tell you, William,” Hank began seriously, “I never agreed with Liam’s decision to run his baby sister out of town. And that’s what your Uncle did, son,” he continued soberly, “ran her out of town. Of course, you and your folks hadn’t moved here yet, not for a while, and while your aunt was a bit of a bohemian,” Hank scowled at the word, then added, “I thought the whole situation was mishandled. If the young woman wanted to leave, fine, but to be sent away, like an errant servant? Totally unacceptable.”

Spike was stunned by Mr. Summers’ words. If anyone, or so Spike thought, would have been on the ‘get rid of Faith band wagon,’ it should have been Mr. Summers. The teen was well aware of the scandulous way his now thirty-two-year-old aunt had conducted herself in Sunnydale. Heck, Spike remembered when she’d landed on the Giles’ doorstep, in England, seven years before. His mother, Jennifer Giles, had been mortified to find her little sister on her doorstep. Dad had been more compassionate, encouraging his wife to give the poor young woman a roof over her head, for a while anyway.

Within two weeks, Spike remembered, his aunt had done something so horrible, that both his father and mother had ordered her out of their house. Spike never did find out what it was that his wild aunt had done, nor did he ever ask. His aunt, as the topic of conversation, was just too taboo for anyone to talk about.

“William,” Hank changed the subject, abruptly, “I want to talk to you, about something else.” The older man scrunched his brows together, in thought. He tapped his pipe out, in an ashtray and set it down on the table to cool off.

“Buffy brought something to my attention, just a week or so ago and I wanted to discuss it with you.” Hank averted his eyes from Spikes, alerting the teen to the possibility that his girl’s dad was going to ask some pretty heady questions.

“Yes,” Spike mumbled in response, swallowing hard to calm himself down. He suddenly felt his palms begin to sweat and he wondered if he could excuse himself to go wash his hands. Anything to get away from this table, this man, this whole area right now…

“I understand that your cousin Angel said some rather ungentlemanly things regarding my daughter?” Hank frowned, a flash of anger crossed his face and Spike, for some reason, immediately relaxed at this.

“Yes,” Spike replied honestly, not real sure where this conversation was going.

“Buffy tells me that you defended her honor, so to speak. Knocked Angel on his butt and ordered him to stay away from her?” Hank stared at Spike, evenly, seemingly sizing him up somehow.

“Yes, sir,” Spike replied, just as evenly. ‘Tell him the truth,’ Spike told himself. ‘He deserves the truth.’

“Thank you,” Hank said simply, reaching over the table to offer his hand. “That was quite manly of you, son,” the older man smiled warmly. “I’m not too fond of Angel, sorry to say. He’s made a fool out of himself for too long now. Way too big for his boots and I’m glad that Buffy has such a champion as yourself on her side.”

“Oh,” Spike whispered, a little stunned by Buffy’s Dad. “I mean, oh,” he continued with a grin, “thank you, sir.”

Spike felt himself blushing bright red and was thankful when Mr. Summers changed the subject, yet again. Unfortunately, the older man changed the subject, right to Spike’s history back home in England.

“Buffy’s also told me of the unfortunate circumstances that forced your family to leave their beloved home,” Mr. Summers went on casually. “Said that you were defending your weak friend, against some bullies?”

“Well, not plural, Mr. Summers,” Spike replied, feeling pretty ill by now. “Just one kid, by the name of Tommy Haggerty. He beat a friend of mine up, nearly killed the little guy. Andrew was his name. A good kid, just a little sickly and weak. It was wrong of Tommy, but not right of me either. I get that now.” Spike hung his head in shame, until Mr. Summers chimed in.

“Never be ashamed to defend the weak, William,” Hank said in his best lecture voice. “It’s a good young man, and older one that protects those that can’t protect themselves. It is a shame that your family felt need to leave your homeland because of some hooligan and his family, but then again…” Hank’s face brightened, visibly, “it’s a plus for us then, isn’t it? That your fine family moved to Sunnydale.”

Later, Spike drove Buffy ‘out’ on an early date. Actually, they drove to the park, to ‘their’ spot and immediately began to make out, desperately.

“Let’s take a walk,” Buffy suddenly blurted out. Spike pulled back from her, briefly, in surprise and just nodded.

“Sure,” he murmered, opening his side of the car and pulling Buffy out, gently. They walked, hand in hand down the long, garden path that led to the center of the huge park. It was now dark, and Spike knew the rose garden, in the middle of Sunnydale Park would be deserted.

He was right and the couple sat on a white wooden bench, right in the center of the gardens. They sat, in comfortable silence, Spike’s left arm wrapped tightly around Buffy’s sweater clad shoulders.

Spike had brought his jacket, which he’d donned when they drove to the park. He asked Buffy if she’d like to wear it, if she was too cold for just the sweater.

“Please,” Buffy whispered, softly. Spike noticed that Buffy seemed nervous, or preoccupied about something. She was unusually quiet tonight.

“Everything all right, Princess?” Spike murmered into Buffy’s ear as he placed the jacket around her slim shoulders.

“Yes,” Buffy replied, quickly. “No, I mean,” she stuttered, “everything is fine, between us, that is. I just wondered something.” She looked away from Spike’s blue eyes and focused on an empty, bare rose bush, just across the path from them.

“What’s that,” Spike asked, lighting a cigarette as he waited for her response.

“I don’t want you to be angry with me,” Buffy began carefully, “but I wondered about your Aunt Faith. Oh,” she sputtered right away, “just forget it, nevermind.” Buffy began to swing her legs under the bench and bite her lower lip, anxiously.

“It’s all right, baby,” Spike chuckled softly and hugged her to him, tightly. “I already talked about Aunt Faith, with your dad. I guess my Uncle Liam explained some things to your pops, about why my aunt left town seven years ago. Is that what you wanted to know?”

Buffy nodded her head, then shook it, slowly. “I want to know ‘why’ she left town, Spike,” Buffy whispered shyly, a guilty look on her face. “I guess I’m just nosy or something, but Angel told me some things about it. Just never enough for any of it to make sense.”

She looked up at Spike, hopefully, and was rewarded with a slight grin. He thought for a moment then shrugged and nodded his head. “I’ll tell you what I know, sweetheart,” he said evenly.

“Peaches told you some things, huh?” Spike sighed and tossed out his cigarette. “What did ‘he’ tell you,” he asked quietly, placing his other hand on Buffy’s skirt covered thigh.

“Just that your aunt got mixed up with the wrong people, or person actually. Angel said that your Aunt Faith was pretty wild, fell in with the wrong crowd?”

“Yeah,” Spike replied, nervously running his hand through his somewhat curly hair. “Truth is,” he looked down at his shoes, thoughtfully, “is that my Dad finally told me most of the story. Seems Aunt Faith got involved with a married man, here in Sunnydale. I guess, from what Dad said,” Spike continued with a scowl, “the bloke wouldn’t leave his family, to be with my aunt that is. Uncle Liam went nuts and told my aunt to get out of town before she made a bigger fool of herself and everyone else.”

“So, she did,” Spike shrugged and lit another cigarette. “It was right after that, that Aunt Faith showed up at our house in England. I was only about eleven or so then. No idea what the bloody hell was going on. Dad never told me much, either, not until I was fifteen or so and we’d moved here.”

“How long did she live with your folks?” Buffy asked quietly, aware that it had probably not been too long. From what she’d been told, Spike and Angel’s aunt never stayed put, by choice or not. Something about the sad past of the poor woman just broke Buffy’s tender heart. Surely the woman hadn’t done anything so horrendous that she should be run out of towns like a common criminal?

“Geez, not long, Buffy,” Spike replied, trying to remember exactly how long his aunt had stayed with the family. “Maybe two weeks or so? No longer then that.” He looked at Buffy, thoughtfully, “why the interest Princess?” he asked softly.

“I don’t know, Spike,” Buffy sighed deeply, “but something about your aunt’s past makes me feel sad. It’s like, oh, I don’t know,” she ended with a frustrated sigh.

“It’s okay, luv,” Spike whispered and kissed Buffy’s lips, tenderly. “But my aunt made her life what it is, Buffy,” he continued. “She chose her way, no one chose it for her. But…”

He averted his eyes from Buffy, briefly, then met her gaze again, noting the sympathetic look in her lovely green eyes.

“But?” Buffy began, trying to get Spike to tell her more. Her boyfriend hesitated for a moment then finally continued the story.

“When my aunt got to England, back then,” Spike began again, “I think she may have been pregnant. With this married bloke’s baby.” He blushed bright red and looked away from Buffy again, even though he still held on to her tightly. “I overheard my mum arguing with her baby sister, about responsibility and that. Dad was at work that day, I remember, mum thought I was out with the guys, playing soccer. I’d come home early, felt sick or something. Heard the arguing.” He scowled at the memory and took a drag off of his smoke.

“Your aunt has a child?” Buffy asked, stunned. “No one ever told me that you had another cousin somewhere.” She looked at her boyfriend, totally confused by now.

“No, Buffy,” Spike mumbled, “my aunt doesn’t have a child.” He gazed at his girl, hoping she realized what he was trying to say.

“What happened? Did she lose the baby? Adopt it out? I don’t understand…” Buffy stopped short, a sudden gasp escaped her lips.

“Buffy,” Spike mumbled again, tightening his hold on her, “I don’t know what happened to the baby. I only know my aunt has no children. It was years before any of the family even heard from her again. By that time, she’d married this Rayne bloke, settled somewhere in New York City.”

“I see,” Buffy whispered, her voice strained. “Do you know why she came back here?” Buffy asked quickly, trying to change the baby subject.

“Hell who knows,” Spike hissed, exasperated by now, with his aunt, his family, these questions. “From what Uncle Liam told my mum, Aunt Faith is kind of hiding from her ex-husband. If he is even her ex, that is. Knowing Aunt Faith, she’s probably just bored with the poor guy and left him high and dry, back in NYC.”

Spike grimmaced and shook his fair head. “She’s a piece of work, Aunt Faith is,” Spike snorted in disgust.

“I feel sorry for her,” Buffy murmered sadly. “She’s always been alone. Never had anyone to stand by her, poor thing.” Buffy began to cry, softly and buried her head into Spike’s shoulder.

“Don’t cry, baby,” Spike tried to comfort his love, “I didn’t mean to sound so cruel. It’s just that my family is complicated sometimes, almost crazy if you ask me. Now this? I don’t think old Aunt Faith will stick around SunnyD too long, though. Uncle Liam will find a way to chase her off, I’m sure.”

“Don’t care,” Buffy sniffed and looked at Spike with a pout that just did him in every time. “I still feel sorry for you aunt. How sad that your own family won’t accept you. It breaks my heart,” and the little blond began to sob into her guy’s shirt.

“Baby, please,” Spike cooed, cradling Buffy in his arms. “I’m sorry, we won’t talk about the other family members again, okay? Please?” He felt like he was pleading by now, but he really hated to see his Buffy cry like this. It nearly killed him.

“Spike,” Buffy pulled her head up and looked at him, her huge, green eyes shimmered with her tears. “You’ll always stand by me, won’t you?”

Spike smiled down at his sweet girl and kissed her forehead. “Always, baby. I love you,” he murmered, before he kissed her lips, gently. “And you’ll always stand by me, won’t you?” He asked, a little insecure, for a moment.

“Always,” Buffy sniffed, then smiled sweetly at her wonderful boyfriend. “And Spike,” she added softly, “I love you too.”


‘Stand By Me’ (by Ben E. King)


‘When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we’ll see
No I won’t be afraid, no I won’t be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And darlin’, darlin’, stand by me, oh now stand by me
Stand by me, stand by me

If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
And the mountains should crumble to the sea
I won’t cry, I won’t cry, no I won’t shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And darlin’, darlin’, stand by me, oh stand by
Stand by me, stand by me


A/N: I wanted to write a bigger part for Hank in this chapter. To show that he does have a compassionate, understanding side to his nature. It will serve him later on.

I thought that song was appropriate as a title for this chapter. Okay, I wanted to explain the appearance of Aunt Faith to the story. In a future chapter (not too future) Buffy is going to need some advice from Spike and Angel’s aunt. Thank you, for reading and please review. Luv, Spuf