Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone reading this fiction. I really enjoy the feedback and it spurs me to write more.
Thanks, Pari, for adding this column and the response ability onto the story updates.
YOU NEVER CAN TELL


Chapter 8: ‘Teen Angel’

It was Saturday, October 26th, the day of the big Homecoming Dance. Buffy’s pale pink silk party dress was hanging in the closet, cleaned, pressed and ready for her to put on.

Buffy sat at her vanity table, in her bedroom and looked at her relfection in the mirror. She thought about the night before, after the big game, that Sunnydale had won, fortunately.

‘Quick Flashback/Buffy’s POV’

Spike had waited for her, of course, along with Xander who waited for Anya. The couples had headed out after the game to ‘Lover’s Lane’, Spike and Buffy in his car, Xander and Anya in the Bel Aire.

After about an hour of heavy necking, Spike and Buffy broke apart, each completely frustrated. It was then that Buffy began to cry, softly and buried her head into Spike’s chest.

“What’s wrong, Princess,” Spike asked in a gentle voice, although Buffy was sure her guy knew exactly what was wrong.

“I’m,” Buffy stammered through little kitten sobs, “I’m not good enough for you,” she whispered sadly.

“What!” Spike gasped and pulled her back from him, to gaze into her eyes. “What the bloody hell is that about? Of course you’re good enough for me,” he whispered, harshly, peppering her face with his soft, tiny kisses. “I love you, baby,” he purred between kisses.

“I love you too, but,” Buffy whimpered, stubbornly, “if I was good enough for you, I’d let you…”

Spike sighed deeply and pulled her, flush up against his body, tightly. “I told you, baby,” he murmered, stroking her long blond hair tenderly, “when it’s time. When you’re ready,” he finished with a quick kiss on her forehead.

“I know,” Buffy sniffed delicately and smiled up into her Will’s beautiful blue eyes. “I know you say that, but…”

“Buffy,” Spike sighed, his frustration at their having to stop, yet again, was apparent to her. “I can wait, I promise. Please believe me. When it’s time, when you’re ready? It’ll be wonderful between us. I know that, please, you know it too, okay?”

“Okay,” Buffy nodded and pulled Spike’s head down so their lips could meet in a sweet kiss.


‘End of Flashback’


Buffy stared at the reflection of herself in the mirror and whispered “I ‘am’ ready,” with a soft, feminine smile.

Spike waited, nervously, for his girl, Buffy Summers to come down the staircase of her parents’ home. He felt totally out of place, dressed up, in a suit, for God’s sake, but he had to do it. Buffy wanted to go the Homecoming dance and there was a good chance she’d be crowned queen, so…

‘I supposed that bloody pillock cousin of mine will be King,’ Spike thought, resentfully, as he sat, trying to ignore Dawn Summers’ stares and giggles. ‘Especially after ‘he’ personally won the game last night. Asshole,’ Spike snorted to himself.

“Dawn, that’s enough,” Hank warned his precocious adopted daughter. “This is a big night for William and your sister, behave yourself or go to your room,” the older man ended with a stern scowl at the ten-year-old girl.

“Yes, Dad,” Dawn pretended to yawn, but hid a quick grin behind her hand. “It’s just that Spike looks so different, all dressed up and everyting. You look nice, Spike, honest,” the young girl nodded, seriously, “just different, for you I mean,” she ended with another quick giggle.

“Oh! Here’s Buffy!” Dawn leapt up from her chair and hurried to the bottom of the staircase to watch her idol sweep down the steps.

Spike stood up, in complete awe, as he watched his beautiful lady walk down the stairs of her house. Buffy looked like a queen to Spike, in her long, pink silk dress and her gorgeous hair piled high on top of her head. Long silky, loose tendrils of her locks were curled and allowed to flow down her cheeks and neck.

“You look amazing, Princess,” Spike gasped as he met Buffy at the bottom of the stairs. “Like and Angel,” he added, breathily.

“You look good too,” Buffy giggled as she looked her guy over, with admiration.

After the traditional, obligatory pictures were taken, which embarrassed the hell out of Spike, the couple left quickly. They were to meet Xander and Anya at the school parking lot.

Buffy hoped that she had some private time, to talk with Anya about her decision. Only Anya would understand and help Buffy with some good advice about what was going to happen after the dance. At least, Buffy hoped it was going to happen, tonight, that is.

The gym was decorated like Heaven and the theme was ‘Teen Angel’ again.

“Jesus,” Xander hissed, “wasn’t this the theme for Homecoming, two years ago?”

“No, that was Prom,” Anya snipped, a bit put out because she had been on this year’s Homecoming committee and helped decorate.

“It’s beautiful, Anya,” Buffy whispered and patted her best friend’s arm. “You look beautiful too,” Buffy added with a warm smile.

“All of us do,” Xander chuckled loudly, “we’re so damned pretty that we should be on the cover of Look Magazine. I could…”

“Put a lid on it Harris,” Anya growled lowly at her boyfriend.

“Yes, sweetheart,” Xander mumbled contritely.

“Look, there’s Willow and Oz!” Buffy gushed as she hurried over to the couple. “You guys look great,” Buffy giggled when she glanced a very uncomfortable looking Oz.

“He hates the suit,” Willow sighed, “even though I had to choose it for him. Oz thinks that suits and ties are for the ‘establishment’ and we should buck the system.”

Before Willow could go into a full on discourse of the fledgling social revolution, Buffy waved for her group to join them.

“You still look great, both of you,” Buffy repeated with conviction.

The dance was in full swing by the time Spike and Buffy had arrived. Spike led Buffy out on the dance floor and began to sway, slowly, to the music that played. He was nervous, because the thought that Angel might be King, with Buffy as Queen was really eating at him. It had been most of the last week, since Sunday dinner at the Summers’ house.


Strains of ‘Teen Angel’ began to play, softly through the gym and various couples joined Spike and Buffy on the dance floor. There were stars on the ceiling, faux clouds everywhere and silver and gold glitter strewn about the building.

Buffy rested her head on Spike’s strong shoulder, savoring the feel of his arms wrapped tightly about her waist. She held onto to him tightly, too, thinking about what she was going to ‘give him’ after this whole Homecoming dance thing was over.


‘Teen Angel’ (By Mark Dinning/1960)


‘Teen Angel, teen angel, teen angel, ooh, ooh,’

‘That fateful night the car was stalled upon the railroad track,
I pulled you out and we were safe, but you went running back.

Chorus:

Teen angel, can you hear me?
Teen angel, can you see me?
Are you somewhere up above?
And I am still your own true love?

What was it youwere looking for that took your life that
Night?
They said they found my high school ring clutched in your
Fingers tight…

Chorus:


Just sweet sixteen, and now you’re gone
They’ve taken you away,
I’ll never kiss your lips again,
They buried you today…’

Chorus”

When the song finished, Johnathan Levy, Sunnydale’s head cheerleader appeared on the podium.

“Everybody,” he announced, over the speaker, “quiet down now,” he ordered with a huge grin. “It’s time to announce our King and Queen of the dance.”

“He looks great,” Anya giggled, as she pointed at Johnathan, her and Buffy’s friend. “The suit fits him fine and he’s here with Amy Stevenson.”

Buffy nodded and then shushed her best friend, “let’s hear this,” the blond girl smiled. A part of Buffy didn’t want to win the Queen’s spot, even though a small part of her did. She knew Spike would never win King, Angel was a shoe in, especially after last night’s winning pass at the game.

“The King, this year at the Teen Angel Homecoming is…” Johnathan began mysteriously. “Oh,” the teen shook his head, ruefully, “this is such a surprise…Angel Crawford.”


Everyone broke out into clapping and Angel tried to look ‘surprised’ as he headed towards the podium to join Johnathan and wait for his Queen to be announced.

‘Christ,’ Spike hissed to himself, ‘if he thinks he’s going to kiss Buffy in congratulations or even dance with her? He’s got another thing comin’. I’ll rip his bloody stupid head off and…’

Johnathan cleared his throat and stared out at the audience as he slowly opened the white envelope in his small hands. “Our Queen, this year, for Teen Angel Homecoming is….

Cordelia Chase!”


The gym broke into wild applause with Buffy clapping the loudest of anyone.

‘Thank God!’ Buffy sighed in relief.

“Sorry, baby,” Spike whispered in his girl’s ear, “I know you wanted to win.”

“Nah, not really,” Buffy murmered, honestly. “I’m glad Cordelia won, and Angel. Just think,” Buffy smirked, “how uncomfortable old Angel’s going to be now? I mean, he used Cordy, dumped her and then showed up at this dance with Harmony Kendall? This is just too rich and ironic, don’t you think?” She giggled uncontrollably and buried her head into Spike’s chest.

“Yeah,” Spike chuckled, “I can’t wait to see Angel’s face when he ‘has’ to dance with Cordelia Chase. It’ll be worth coming here for, just to see the ponce in a spot like this one.”

Anya walked up to the couple and took Buffy by the arm. “You should have won,” the brunette girl huffed at her friend. “It was a fix, I know it and…”

“It’s okay, Anya, honest,” Buffy laughed, “I’m glad for Cordelia. But,” she continued with a serious look, “I do have to go to the powder room. Will you go with?” she asked her friend, motioning with her chin to door of the gym.

“You betcha’ I will,” Anya grinned and took Buffy by the arm again. “Let’s go to the one just outside of the gym, in the next building. I can’t stand these phonies that’ll probably be hogging the gym’s bathroom. They’re so…”

Spike and Xander watched their dates walk, arm-in-arm outside of the gym.

“You know,” Xander began, puzzled, “I wonder what in the hell those girls talk about together. In the head, out of our earshot?”

“Who knows,” Spike shrugged and laughed, “but I do know that I need a cigarette and we’ll have to hide out in the Quad to smoke. As for our girls and their gossip? It’s about us, you know that, hopefully something really wicked, huh?” (*Note: wicked at this time was slang for something really good)

Buffy and Anya hurried into the dark drama building, just next to the gym and sought out the unlocked girls bathroom. With a quick check around the small area, the girls were satisfied that they were complete alone in there.

“What’s up?” Anya asked with a grin, “something’s going on in that pretty head of yours, Summers,” she added.

“Yeah,” Buffy stammered with a blush, “something is and I need to ask you some things, okay?” She began to play with the strap of her tiny evening hand bag as she focused on the mirror in front of them.

“I,” Buffy began quietly, “I wanted to ask you about well, you know…” Buffy felt her face turn bright red and she sighed deeply.

“You wanted to ask me about what? Sex?” Anya grinned mischieviously.

“Anya,” Buffy gasped, “you’re so, well, you’re so very…”

“Honest?” Anya giggled, causing Buffy to join in.

“Yeah, you’re that,” Buffy chuckled warmly. “It’s why I like you so much.”

“You’re going to go all the way, with Spike, tonight, right?” Anya asked, knowingly. “You want to know what to expect, your first time? Is that it, sweetie?”

“Uh huh,” Buffy stuttered, embarrassed, suddenly to be discussing something so private, even with Anya.

“It’s going to hurt like heck, the first time, honey. I won’t lie to you.” Anya scowled briefly, then smiled softly. “Then it’s going to feel like heaven.”

“Oh,” Buffy sighed fearfully. “I guess I knew it would hurt, but…”

“Do you have protection?” Anya asked bluntly.

“Protection?” Buffy asked, confused.

“Rubbers, honey,” Anya shook her head and reached for her own evening bag.

“What’s…”

“Look,” Anya reached into her purse and pulled out a couple of flat, silver foil covered tiny packages and handed them to Buffy.

“The guy puts these on over his dick, before he’s inside you. Remember that, this has always got to be on, from start to finish, for it to work,” Anya said matter-of-factly.

“Oh, Anya,” Buffy gasped, “I couldn’t just hand these to Spike and say ‘put these on’ or no dice!” Buffy felt sick for a minute.

“Well,” Anya sighed, “I don’t think Spike will have any, Buffy. He respects and loves you too much to just carry a bunch around with him, in case you cave in? This way,” she continued, “then ‘you’ll’ be prepared and you two can go at it like bunnies. If he wonders why you have them, just tell him you got them from me. That they’re Xanders. Heck, the first time Xand and I did it? I had to go and buy the damn things myself. That’s why I keep Xander’s rubbers with me. He’d forget his head if it wasn’t attached and…”

“Okay, I get it,” Buffy mumbled, embarrassed again at her friend’s bluntness.

“Look sweetie,” Anya began again, “you love Spike and he loves you, right?”

Buffy nodded quickly.

“Then it’s going to be okay, I promise. When Xander and I did it the first time, my guy was really gentle with me. I was a virgin, it hurt, for a little while, but Xander was so good about it. He was so tender and gentle, because he loves me, Buffy. Just like Spike loves you and he’ll be good to you too. I know it.”

“I know that Xander talks about our sex life, to his best friend,” Anya nodded. “And, that’s okay, because sometimes guys need to talk about things too, with each other. Xander loves me and I love him, so I know that he’s taking care of me right. There’s no reason that you can’t tell Spike that you got those from Xander and me. He’ll be glad, I know he will, okay?”

“Okay,” Buffy whispered softly, slipping the ‘rubber’ thingys into her purse.

“Anya,” Buffy whispered, “you’re the bestest friend a girl ever had.” She leaned in and hugged the taller brunette to her, tightly.

“No, you are the bestest friend a girl could ever have,” Anya chuckled warmly and again took her friend by the arm. “Let’s go find our guys,” she ordered evenly, “I suppose they’re out hiding in the Quad and smoking their guts out. I hate those damn cigarettes, but, if you love the guy? You love his faults, huh?”

Buffy ran smack into Spike, waiting out in the Quad for her. She motioned for Anya to go into the gym and find Xander.

“Just as well,” Anya huffed with indignation, “that little slut, Nancy Snyder has been sniffing around my Xander for weeks. She thinks she’s going to take him away from me, you know? Heck, I’ll rip her bottled blond hair out of her stupid head if she even gets within ten feet of my guy. I…”

Buffy watched her friend walk off, quickly, and head into the big gym. “I love that girl,” she giggled warmly and cuddled into Spike.

“Xander worships her,” Spike chuckled, “she’s got no worries about some other chit taken’ him away from her.”

“I know that. She knows it too,” Buffy grinned up at her boyfriend. “She just likes the drama.”

“So,” Spike sighed and sat on a bench, pulling Buffy onto his lap. “You’re staying the night with Anya, tonight, after the dance?” He gazed into Buffy’s wide green eyes.

Buffy had told her dad and Joyce that she was to spend the night with Anya, a kind of after dance slumber party. The truth was, Anya’s folks were out for the night and wouldn’t be home until early tomorrow morning. They had no idea that Buffy ‘intended’ on staying with their daughter at their house.

“No,” Buffy whispered, guiltily, snuggling down into Spike’s warm lap. “The truth is, baby,” she stammered nervously, “is that I ‘may’ end up at the Jenkins house, way later tonight, but first,” she paused and blushed bright red. “I thought maybe, you and me could, you know?”

“You know?” Spike asked, puzzled, briefly. “Oh,” he whispered in delighted shock, “that you know?” His blue eyes lit up like a Christmas Tree and he pulled Buffy’s chin up so their eyes could meet. He saw the fear, the insecurity in them, but he saw something else. Passion.

“Buffy,” he murmered as he glanced about, making sure there weren’t any chaperones about, to bust them for kissing and snuggling. “Are you saying what I think your saying, baby?” He nuzzled his warm lips into her soft neck and breathed in her special scent of lavendar and vanilla.

“I thought, maybe,” Buffy began, shyly, “that we could maybe go somewhere, be alone together? For a long time?” She looked away from him, suddenly bashful.

“I’d like that,” Spike murmered, his voice husky with desire. “But, I don’t, I mean. I don’t have any protection, Princess,” he admitted, finally, his voice tinged with disappointment. Spike hung his head and felt misery overwhelm ‘him’ now, even if his dick was as hard as a rock. With Buffy snuggled in his lap, her sexy little bum rubbing against his cock? He was a lost cause and to not have the means they needed to be careful?

“I have some rubber ‘thingys’ that someone gave me,” Buffy blurted out suddenly.

Spike reared back and looked at his girl, shocked, but frankly, quite pleased. “Rubber thingys?” asked trying not to chuckle at the adorbly embarrassed look on his love’s face.

“Uh huh,” Buffy sighed shyly, “they’re Xander’s. Anya gave me a couple and told me to keep them. She says that you know about her and Xander, you know, going all the way with each other. I wanted to please you,” Buffy suddenly became very defensive, her insecurity reared up and she buried her head into Spike’s chest.

“You do please me, baby,” Spike murmered, running his long fingers down Buffy’s bare arms. “And I want to ‘do’ that with you, tonight. If you’re sure that you are really ready for this?”

Spike raised her chin, gently, once again and met her loving gaze with his own. He saw, immediately, in the depths of her emerald eyes, that his Buffy was indeed very ready to be with him, totally.

“I love you,” Spike whispered, desperately kissing Buffy’s lush lips with his hungry ones.

“Love you,” Buffy repeated back to him.

“Your folks, they’re still up at their cabin, right?” Buffy blushed again, but this time she did not look away from Spike.

“Yes,” Spike whispered, kissing her cheek, then her jaw, then her lips again.

“Can we go to your house, please?” Buffy asked shyly. “I want our first time together to so special and…”

“Yes,” Spike blurted out, excitedly, “we’ll go to my house. Have it all to ourselves. I want to make love to you, Buffy,” he whimpered softly. “All night.”


A/N: Well, I dropped the ball on this one. I really intended on writing the whole Spuffy sex scene and everything in this chapter. However, I felt the chapter had gotten too long, so…

I just had to use ‘Teen Angel’ for a title and theme in this chapter. When I was at Church Camp (at 16) the guys did this song for the last night, our talent show. They wore leather jackets and the whole bit, sang it and acted it out kind of tongue-in-cheek. When they finished, we were rolling in the aisles. (Hard to do, really, my Church camp was on Catalina Island and the aisles were sand!) Anyway, I always remember that song, from camp, and just had to use it in this story!

The ‘first time’ for our Spike and Buffy will be in the next chapter ‘This Magic Moment’ and will be, hopefully, quite tender and lovely. Thank you for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf