Author's Chapter Notes:
Sad to say, but only a few more chapters to go......I wish to thank everyone for they warm and well loved reviews.....
Chapter 20


Hank walked out of the hotel room, so many questions screaming at him that needed answers. There was no mistaking the dead woman was Dru, lying there, no longer a threat to those he held dear. Still, it all didn't make sense, and he was sure there was some kind of foul play involved. His gut felt twisted, knowing she had not died by her own hand.

"She had no visitors that you know of?" he asked the lead officer.

"The manager called the desk clerk who worked when she registered. Said she checked in late last night, all alone. Said he never saw her leave and neither did the morning clerk. The only other person who checked in after her was a man traveling through."

Hank knew he should be asking more questions, but he just couldn’t do it. Something told him this was for the best, and had nothing to do with Spike or Nigel. That something more happened here, it had to do with someone after Dru and not her son.

"If anything else comes up, let me know," Hank offered. "I’ll send you a list of names we have her listed under, and someone will be in touch with collecting the body."

"So you are going to take jurisdiction then?" the officer asked.

"Yes," he explained, leaving out the only interest he had was finding out who she truly was, and if her death gave him cause to worry.

"Okay, we will move her to the morgue at Sunnydale," he told Hank. "What name should we use?"

Hank tried not to roll his eyes, before answering, "The name she registered in with alias underneath it, Drusilla Downing, should work."

"Good, is there next of kin we need to worry about?"

"No, there isn't," Hank told him, thinking it wasn't pertinent they knew she had a son.

"Thanks for coming down. I still don't understand how you heard so quickly," the officer said, as his face grew curious.

"Was just about to come and check things out when I heard about the shooting here. Someone had alerted us she might be out this way," Hank said in a nonchalant tone as if he had just been following a lead. "One of my men will be in contact very soon."

"No problem, Agent Summers," the officer said, secretly happy that the man was taking over, since he smelled something wasn't right about it. He was sure the woman had not killed herself, but now it wasn't up to him to figure it out.

Hank walked to his car pulling out his cell phone call Warren.

"Hey, boss, tell me what ya know."

"Warren, get someone here to pick up the body at Sunnydale Morgue. She will be under the name Prudence Falkner with the alias Drusilla Downing attached. Get me an autopsy as quick as you can for a preliminary cause of death," Hank instructed him. "Use what you can to find out who this woman really was."

"You know we many never find out. I'm thinking she's been on the run for many years. Could be she's an old runaway that no one ever reported missing," Warren said.

"All we can do is try. If nothing else I would like to find out where she gave birth to Nigel. See if you can at least track that much about her for now. I want to get that boy's birth certificate to his father."

"I hear ya, and I'm on it," Warren promised, knowing this was personal for Hank.

"Warren, thank you."

"Welcome, boss."

"I’ll still try and steal you away and get you to come work for me," Hank told him, before hanging up the phone.

Warren laughed, knowing if anyone would entice him to leave the agency, it would be Hank Summers. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to hear what the man had to offer."

*******

Joyce sat at the table watching her daughter smile at the noise going on in the living room. The first thing she noticed when she entered the apartment was the fact Buffy and Spike seemed even closer than before all the sadness and pain of their separation.

"It's so good to see you smiling again," Joyce said.

"I have him back in my life, and something extra special," Buffy explained. "I have to say, as much as it hurt, it's worth it to have that little boy with us right now."

"You don't think it could've been handled different?" Joyce asked, wondering if they had really talked this out or she was just accepting Spike back without question.

"To think how things could have happened, no. It would be useless to think of what might have worked or not worked. Nigel is with us, unharmed and is what's important right now,” she said, hoping that her mother would understand. "If things had been done differently, he might be out there somewhere with Dru, living God knows where, being treated poorly, in fear of his life. I don't think we could've survived that and it might have cost me my husband, permanently. Spike would've driven himself crazy with worry and never stopped looking for him. So no, I can't complain if it all works out and Nigel gets to stay with us forever."

"Good, I was thinking the same thing on the way here." Joyce sighed, happy it looked like things would work out between her daughter and ex-son-in-law.

"Mom, was wondering if you'd stand up with me on Saturday?"

Joyce gave her a questionable expression when she asked, "What's Saturday?"

"My wedding day is what," Buffy answered, her smile lighting up the room.

"Oh, Buffy, I would be honored to stand beside you," Joyce said as she started to cry. "I'm so happy for you."

"Why you crying grandma?" Nigel asked, having entered the kitchen without notice.

"Oh, I'm happy is why," Joyce said as she started crying harder, having heard him call her grandma. "Come here and let me hold you for a minute, young man. Your grandmother needs a big hug."

Nigel's smile reminded her so much of Spike as he crawled up on her lap and wrapped his arms around her neck and squeezed her tight. "I love you, grandma."

"I love you, too, Nigel," Joyce replied, all second thoughts or doubts of Spike's decision were filed as dealt with and forgiven.

"Daddy asked me to ask you to make me a banana cream pie," Nigel told her when he finally snuggled closer in her lap.

"He did, did he?" Joyce said with a laugh. "Well I think I will make two, one for you and one for him."

"What about me?" Buffy teased.

"You can share mine," Spike said from the doorway.

"You would share your banana cream pie with me?" Buffy asked, with a saucy smile on her face.

"Oh, I'm sure you won't mind one bit," Spike said with a knowing wink, causing her to blush.

"Daddy said you tasted better than pie," Nigel innocently repeated what his father had said earlier.

"Even better than my pie?" Joyce asked, her eyebrow raised as she gave him a challenging look.

"Sorry, Joyce, but yeah, even better than your pie," Spike said, looking at his girl.

"Now you see why I gotta keep him." Buffy sighed, as she gave her mother a put upon expression. "I mean, I don't know what he would do without me."

"I live to serve you, milady." Spike's accent reminded them of when they went to see Lady MacBeth.

"I hate to cut this short, but I need to get home and get dinner ready," Joyce regrettably said as she kissed Nigel on the cheek and helped him down. "I also need to stop and pick up the ingredients for a banana cream pie."

"I can see someone is going to spoil the men in my family." Buffy playfully glared at her mother who turned to Spike and asked, "Is there anything else I should make for your son?"

"Hmmm, I don't know, what do you think Nige? What would you like your Nana to make for you?" Spike asked his son.

"I don't know," Nigel said.

"How about I surprise you, then?" Joyce asked as she winked at Spike, who knew they were about to be bombarded with sweet things and other stuff. "We need to fatten up your daddy."

Spike chuckled as he watched his fiancée and her mother embrace, before Joyce came to stand before him. "I'm very happy it all worked out this way." Leaning up and kissing his cheek before telling him, "There's hot chocolate with little marshmallows in the stuff I put in the cabinet I brought for you."

"Thanks, Joyce," Spike said as he leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"When do you have to go back to L.A.?" Joyce asked, wondering how much time with Buffy she'd have to spend. Also, wanting to spend more time with Nigel as well and Spike.

"That's something we still have to talk over," Spike answered, vaguely, wanting to talk his plans over with Buffy first.

"Daddy, can we finish playing Spiderman?" Nigel asked, not realizing the importance of his father's intrigued Buffy.

"You two go play and I'll walk mom out," Buffy said, knowing they had all evening to talk, now was Nigel time.

"See you soon, Joyce," Spike said as he kissed her cheek.

"See you soon, Nana," Nigel imitated his father, as he waited for her to bend so he could also kiss her cheek.

Buffy watched as her two men returned to the living room and resumed their video game. "I'm thinking we might be staying here in Sunnydale."

"I have to say I hope so," Joyce said as she gave her daughter a loving smile. "I would like to be close when the babies are born, and I want to get to know Nigel better, too."

I think you might get your wish," Buffy assured her. "I’ll let you know more about Saturday, when we make more plans."

"You do that. I will let the others know to keep that day open," Joyce offered.

"Thanks mom, for everything," Buffy said, knowing her mother would understand she meant about letting Spike back into her life and accepting Nigel as family.

"Call me later," Joyce told her, feeling that no thanks were necessary.

Buffy walked her mother to the door saying goodbye. She made sure to lock it securely, before joining her men to watch them play their game. Once Dru was dealt with, their life would move on to bigger and better things.

******