Buffy was startled awake when she heard the doorbell ring. She must have nodded off earlier on the couch, while watching the movie Nemo with Spike and Nigel. The wiggling beside her told her where her snuggles was, bringing a smile to her face. Their napping together was becoming a very nice habit. One she would cherish for as long as she could.

"Who's there?" She heard Spike ask as she tried to shake off her drowsiness.

"Hank."

Hearing her father's voice was enough to shake the haziness of sleep from her mind. She heard the seriousness in her father's voice and knew he was bringing them news about Drusilla. Her only hope was it would be to their advantage.

"Come in. Hank," Spike said as his chest tightened upon seeing the grim look on the older man's face. "I take it you have some news."

"Yes, I do," Hank said, his voice sounding too official for both Spike and Buffy's taste. Then his expression softened when he heard Nigel's voice calling to him. Feeling like he was given something special to protect when a bundle of energy ran to him saying, "Grandpa!"

Buffy couldn't help but feel a little jealous, seeing her father smile as he quickly scooped up the little boy. She remembered a time when he did that to her and Dawn when they were younger. Then something happened and their relationship was no longer so carefree. He left them for his job.

"How's my boy?" Hank asked, as he held his grandson close, savoring this moment, remembering a time when he had done the same with his girls. He looked over at Buffy and grinned saying, "I remember a time when I could do this with you. God, I missed having my girls run and greet me when I came home."

Buffy could see the sincerity in his eyes, knowing time was an enemy as well as a friend. If her father wanted to be more involved in her and her family's life, then who was she to say no. "I remember it too, and hope to see more of you."

"I'm working on that." Hank sighed. "I would love to be more involved, to get to know the woman you've become."

"I would like that very much," Buffy replied, noticing how Nigel was getting restless in her father's arms.

"I really need to talk to Spike right now," Hank said, hating to change the subject, giving Buffy a knowing look at the wiggling little boy in his arms.

"Nigel, let's you and me go and make some tea and get some cookies," Buffy suggested to the young boy, knowing what Hank had to say was something his little ears didn't need to hear.

The word cookies caught the young boy's attention as he excitedly said, "Okay." As he let Hank know he wanted down now.

"I'm sure someone will let me know everything later on," Buffy said, giving both men a determined look while Nigel made his way toward her.

"Word for word, Luv, I promise," Spike told her, feeling grateful she was taking Nigel away so easily.

Spike watched as his son led Buffy toward the kitchen. The sight of them together right now gave him hope that Hank's news would be in their favor. The last thing he needed was to suffer the thought of letting his son go.

"You might want to sit down for this," Hank suggested, sitting down in the one chair in the living room.

"Just get it over with," Spike mumbled, finding he didn't want to sit down. He was feeling too nervous for that.

"Spike, it's not the bad news you think, please have a seat," Hank implored, knowing the man would still have a hard time with the news he was about to impart.

How do you tell a man he's going to have to explain to his son that his mother is dead? Then there's the fact her murderer is roaming around free and they didn't know if the person was looking for Nigel, or even Spike for that matter.

"Just tell me." Spike sighed, wondering why Hank was having a hard time telling him what he had to say.

"We found Drusilla," he said, seeing the worried look on the other man's face deepen.

"Is she arrested?" Spike quickly asked, hoping she had not slipped away.

"No."

"Why the bloody hell not?" Spike growled, glaring at the man who promised to capture her.

"There is no easy way of saying this." Hank leaned back in the chair, looking up to meet him eye to eye. "Dru is dead. Someone killed her in her motel room sometime today."

Spike suddenly found himself speechless as he dropped down onto the couch. Never in a million years did he imagine someone would be telling him that Drusilla was dead. All he could think about was how to tell Nigel, because no matter what she had done, he'd miss his mother.

"Any clues as to who or why?" Spike asked becoming worried his son could somehow be a target for some reason.

"No, but we are working on it. I've taken her into our care, and we will see what we can find," Hank reassured him. "You, Buffy, and Nigel, might have to stay here for a few more days."

"I don't mind that, but I want to make sure this is something that will not come back and hurt my son." Spike's voice oozed with concern and determination to keep his son safe.

"That's why I'm making this our top priority. I will not let any thing happen to my grandson," Hank promised, Spike visibly relaxed before his eyes as he said those words.

It warmed him that the young man trusted him so. He'd never really taken the time to get to know Spike before, and would right that wrong after today. It finally dawned on him that not only had he gained a grandson, but also a son.

The task of telling Nigel his mother had died weighed heavy on Spike's mind as he covered his face with his hands and mumbled, "How do I tell a little boy he will never see his mother again?"

"By telling him a small white lie, is how," Hank offered. "Tell him his mother went to live with the angel's. I'm sure God would understand your motive."

Spike chuckled as he said, "Funny, since she never believed in God."

"Do you?" Hank asked.

"I do believe in a higher power," Spike replied, as he turned his eyes toward the window. "I think I’ll talk it over with Buffy and see what she thinks."

" I think that is a great plan."

"Can we come out now?" Buffy asked from the doorway. "Or is it still adults only allowed to enter."

"Rating is PG 4 now, Luv," Spike answered, waiting for his family to rejoin him.

"Nigel, care to show me your room?" Hank suggested, thinking he'd keep the boy occupied while Spike and Buffy talked about Dru.

"Okay," Nigel said as he walked over and took Hank's hand leading the way. "Then we can have cookies."

"Yes, then we can have cookies." Hank replied, his voice very amused at the simplicity of children.

Buffy knew her father was giving her and Spike time alone to talk about what just happened. While in the kitchen all she could think about was having the system fail them. Causing them to lose this precious little boy who she loved as if he was her own.

"Dru is dead," Spike simply said, feeling guilty that a part of him was glad she was gone from this world.

"Oh, my!" Buffy gasped, as she moved to hug him. "I can't say I'm sorry, but I do feel awful about how this will affect Nigel."

"That’s the only thing about her death that worries me," Spike confessed as he held her close. "Am I a bad person for feeling relieved she's somewhere she can't hurt Nigel or us again?"

"I think I'm the wrong person to ask that, for I can't say it's a bad thing," Buffy replied, finding it hard to feel sad concerning the other woman's dying. "How did it happen?"

Spike pulled her closer as he repeated what Hank had told him. He knew the moment her concern turned toward Nigel. Her body tensed as she leaned back to ask, "Do you think whoever killed her might be looking for our boy?"

"I don't know," Spike said with a touch of uncertainty to his voice. "I can only pray they were only after her."

"Maybe she killed herself," Buffy suggested, praying the evidence did point to the fact the crazy woman had taken her own life.

"Dru would never kill herself. Never in a million years." Spike's voice held such conviction she knew he was telling the truth. The thought of suicide as cause of death never entered his brain.

Buffy reached up and lay her hand against his face. "What does my dad say?"

Spike leaned into her touch as he replied, "He's taking over the investigation into her death and will do everything in his power to make sure Nigel is safe." Confirming that her father didn't believe the woman had killed herself either.

"He won't let anything happen to snuggles," Buffy said as she gave him a reassuring smile before adding, "I think we might be seeing much more of my dad now that he has Nigel to spoil."

Spike chuckled, "Yeah, did you see his face light up when he called him Grandpa?"

"Yep, it lit up like a Christmas tree." Buffy giggled. "I was wondering, who will you have stand up for you at the wedding?"

"I hadn't really thought about anyone, really," he replied. "Why?"

Buffy's smile grew larger as she suggested. "I was wondering if we should include Nigel as your best man."

"I was thinking of asking your Dad, since he believed in me enough to help me get you back," Spike added, wanting to include Hank as well.

"Hmmm, I think maybe I will have him give me away and then stand up with you and Nigel, while we take our vows," Buffy suggested, knowing her father and husband-to-be would have a closer relationship after all was said and done.

Spike sought out her eyes, as he asked, "How do I tell him his mother's dead?"

Buffy put on her resolve face. "We, do this together, telling him as much of the truth for now that he can handle. Keep it simple and just tell him his mother has gone to sleep with the angels. The rest we can deal with as he gets older and needs to know more."

He leaned down to softly kiss her lips as he whispered, "Like father, like daughter. Hank mentioned the angels too."

"Do you think it's over? Is there a chance whoever did this will come after Nigel or you?" Buffy asked, feeling worried she could still lose them both.

"My gut tells me no."

"Then, let's move on with our lives. We can wait and tell Nigel after the wedding or now," Buffy suggested. "To be honest I'd rather wait until after the wedding- let's give him and us a happy day to start our lives together."

"I knew I fell in love with you for your brains and your body," Spike teased, hoping to lighten the mood before going back to Nigel.

"And here I thought it was because I played hard to get."

"No, baby, I enjoyed the hunt," he said as he waggled his eyebrows as his intense gaze made her feel warm all over her body.

"My mighty hunter, let's go and get our son and make sure he has not gotten my father in any trouble," Buffy said as she took his hand and led him toward Nigel's room.

*******

Warren kept staring at the one preliminary report that included a statement from one of receptionist's. Something important was there, but he had a hard time processing what it was.

"I know it's there, just waiting to jump out and bite me, I just know it," he mumbled as he shoved it away, thinking if he gave it a rest, it would come to him.

He began reading more about what they'd been able to dig up on the mysterious bitch from hell when it hit him. Pulling up the list of motel hotel's employees, he called the number hoping the person would be at home and close to a fax. If his suspicions were correct, he'd found Drusilla's killer.

*******