Spike sat in the middle of his office staring at everything that used to be on his desk. It all lay scattered on the floor, a few things broken where he'd thrown them against the wall.

He wasn't aware how much time had passed as he continued to cry and rock. He didn't hear his phones ringing or the voice of Hank Summers talking to him. His thoughts centered on remembering the day Buffy Summers had came into his life.

"Honestly Spike, I don't know how you do it,” Charles Gunn said after watching yet another beautiful girl give him her number. "What's that? Like, the fifth one tonight?"

"What can I say, mate? They love the sexy bad boy look. It's the black clothes and leather," Spike explained. "Just wish I would meet someone who I want to give my number to in return."

"Please, home boy, don't tell me you would kick none of those girls out of your bed," Gunn snorted as he gave the bleach blonde a knowing look.

"Can't kick out something that's not there now, can I?" Spike asked as he gave his friend a wink before looking around the club.

"Excuse me," a soft voice said behind the two men.

Spike turned around and came face to face with the most beautiful woman he'd seen in a very long time. No one had come close to sparking his interest since his dark princess had up and left him a year ago.

"Hello, pet."

"Hi. If you'd step aside please, so I can get past you," Buffy said, without really looking at the man standing before her.

"I will, if you answer one question for me,” Spike said, wanting to know everything about this lovely creature.

"I really would like it if you'd just move aside," Buffy replied.

"Go out with me tomorrow night," Spike said, not wanting to let her leave.

The look she gave him was cold and angry. "I don't know you, so why would I go out with you"

"Then let me introduce myself. I'm Spike Bledsoe, and this is my friend, Charles Gunn. We're seniors here at UCLA. Charles is in pre-law, and I'm majoring in Business and Accounting," Spike said as he held out his hand in greeting. "Now you, pet. It's your turn."

"Buffy, are these guys giving you a hard time?" a little blonde dressed in too much pink asked.

"Well, I have the first name, can I get the last?" Spike asked as he leaned to the side trying to get her to look directly at him. "I promise you I'm a very nice guy, once you get to know me."

The moment she looked up at him and he glimpsed her pretty green eyes, Spike knew he was nailed. He knew he'd do anything and everything to get to know her better.

"God, pathetic much? Can't you tell when a girl isn't interested?" The bundle of pink said as she tried to worm her way between him and Buffy. "Now, take me for instance. I would go out with you in a heartbeat."

"Sorry, but as you said-- pathetic much? I’m not interested in asking you out. I'm only interested in asking out your friend, Buffy," Spike said, as he looked around the other woman to see the shocked look on his green-eyed kitten's face. "How about it, Buffy? Would you go out with a bad rude man such as me?"

"Why do you want to go out with me?" she asked him.

"Because, for the first time in a year, I found someone who I want to get to know better,” Spike said as he gave her an understanding smile.

"I'm not sure," she said. A look of confusion replaced the shocked expression.

"Don't disappear on me, pet,” Spike told her, quickly taking a few moments to wait for her to nod her head. Spike turned and waved the bartender over. "Care to lend me a pen, mate?"

The bartender smiled as he handed over a pen and piece of paper. Spike then scribbled his phone number on the paper and handed the bartender his pen back with a quick thank you before turning back toward the girl and her obnoxious friend.

"Here's my number, take your time and think about it," Spike said as he handed Buffy the paper with his name on it. "If you decide not to call me, burn it, don't give it to your friend, there."

He noticed she smiled when the blonde bint in pink huffed and stormed off. She looked at him and put the paper in her front pocket before she told him, "Can't make any promises. My goal is school, no funny business."

"Believe me, Buffy, there will be no funny business." Spike leaned down so their noses almost touched. "Something tells me if you give us a chance, there will only be good business between us for a very long time."

"Summers."

"Summers?" he asked.

"My last name is Summers," she said with a shy smile.

"I hope to hear from you soon, Buffy Summers," he whispered, giving her a cocky smile before he turned and signaled to Gunn that he was ready to leave. "See you around, Summers. Don’t worry, I understand that I’ll have to earn your trust. I'm not a patient man when it comes to something I want, but for you I will take up meditation if I have to."


"Spike, look at me boy!" Hank yelled as he gently shook the man's shoulders. He was past worried because the young man hadn't responded to his voice.

"Hank?" Spike whispered as he tried to figure out how the man got here, then he remembered the phone call. "Buffy! She can't be dead! She can't be."

"She's not. Now let's get a move on here," Hank told him. "We need to go and pick up your son and take him with us."

"But Dru won't let that happen," Spike replied, feeling as if he was in a daze. "She never lets me take Nigel from the house by myself."

"Oh, I have a plan," Hank said as he helped the younger man to his feet. "Call the baby-sitter and suggest she take him to the park. We'll meet them and you can get your son. We can pick up what we need in Sunnydale when we get there."

"But she can get me for kidnapping," Spike told him.

"Spike, trust me. The last thing that poor excuse of a mother would want is to get the police involved, and if she does? Well, I have the information that will take her down. I’ll tell you more on the way to pick him up. Now make that phone call," Hank insisted as he pushed his cell phone in the man's hand.

Spike took his phone and called Candice, Nigel's nanny. He was sure she'd be at the apartment he shared with Dru and their son. He refused to let Dru live in the home he'd shared with his Goldilocks.

"Hello."

"Candice, please pretend you're talking to a friend. Is Dru at home?" Spike asked, relieved that the woman had answered the phone and he didn't get her voice mail. He hoped she would play along.

"Yes, hello, Becca! Gosh, it's been so long," she replied, wondering what Nigel's father was going to ask her to do. "I see my mom must have given you the number."

"I need you to do as I say. I’ll explain more when I see you," Spike explained. "I need you to tell Drusilla that you're taking Nigel to the park to meet your friend and her young son. Meet me at the swings as soon as you can."

"Yes, it would be wonderful to see you. Blake and Nigel are the same age, and I know he loves playing with other kids," Candice said. She seriously hoped that Mr. Bledsoe was going to take his son and get him as far away from the loony broad that claimed she was his mother. "I'm sure they would have an awesome time together. Hold on and let me ask his mother."

Dru had been pretending not to listen to Candice's conversation. She had to work hard to hide her excitement, burying her nose in a magazine as she waited for the girl to ask her question. From what she’d overheard, the nanny was planning on taking the little brat out of the house. Maybe if she was lucky, Spike would come home early and they could have some quality time together. Maybe she could start to make him forget about that other woman.

"Miss Downing, do you mind if I take Nigel to the park?" Candice asked, knowing the woman would say yes.

"That would be lovely, he likes the park," Dru cooed and clapped her hands.

"Great! Becca, we should be there in about twenty," Candice said, with a shit eating grin on her face. She'd definitely missed her calling. She should have been an actress instead of a nanny.

"Candice, you are amazing," Spike chuckled over the phone. "See you in twenty, ducks."

"It'll be great seeing you, too," Candice replied sweetly. She hung up the phone and went to collect a few things she knew Nigel would want with him. She was sure they'd fit in her backpack.

"Looks like we have lift off," Hank said with a satisfied look on his face as he turned to look at Spike.

"I don't know how I can thank you for this," Spike said as he gave Hank a grateful look.

"Just make my girl happy again, and I'll be in your debt," Hank replied.

Spike nodded his head as he fought the tears that threatened to fall. He refused to believe that he'd lost his Goldilocks. He was sure that whatever was going on, someone would make it all better in no time.

*******