Buffy watched her dream self stare after Spike as he left the bar. She wished she could walk over and tell herself to throw the paper with his number away.

"God, rude much!" Harmony said as she returned to Buffy's side.

The fact that they'd known each other in Sunnydale and had a few classes together at UCLA was the only reason they associated with each other. Buffy had decided to transfer there from Sunnydale University to get away from Angel, who still took classes there.

"You should be careful who you associate with, Buffy." Riley came up behind the two blonde women.

Buffy looked from Harmony to Riley and decided all she wanted to do was go home. For some reason, she didn't want to stand here and listen to them talk down about Spike. She knew that Riley was just acting jealous because she had refused to date him.

Dating was still something she didn't want any part of, and she still couldn't understand why she had taken the piece of paper with Spike's number. All she knew was that he seemed to understand her, had touched her and knew she had been hurt. His comment about having to earn her trust had made her take a second look at him. In fact, it was what gave her the courage to keep his number just in case she decided to call him.

"Earth to Buffy," Harmony said. "Forget about him, he's rude and obnoxious."

Buffy laughed. "You're just pissed because he wasn't interested in you."

"Gee, I bet if I went to him now, he'd give me the time of day," Harmony challenged.

"Don't think so, since I have his number and he specifically told me not to give it to you even if I decided not to use it." Buffy giggled as she was about to turn and leave.

"Buffy, don't tell me you're actually thinking about calling that punk?" Riley demanded. His strident voice made her stop and look back at him.

"I'm not sure, he told me to think about it." Buffy shrugged. "So I’m going to think about it."

"But I've asked you out more than once," Riley whined as he followed her across the bar.

"Riley, I told you before that I don't like you that way," Buffy explained, hoping he'd stop trying get her to go out with him.

"But, you'll go out with the 'Billy Idol' wannabe," Riley snorted.

"Damn, I was wondering who he reminded me of," Buffy giggled. "Billy is more rugged looking, though. Spike is much easier to look at."

Riley tried to get her to see reason. "Buffy, you just met the man!"

"Riley, I haven't said I'm going to call him, but it doesn't change the fact I’m not going to go out with you." Buffy had tried to be nice but the man still refused to take a hint. "I'm not looking for Mr. Right anymore. I don't want a relationship. Been there, done that, and got nothing but my heart broken for it. I'm here for an education and that’s all."

"Fine! You know, maybe if you'd been a little more into being a real woman and not the academic scholar, your heart would still be intact," Riley snarled before he turned and left in a huff.

"Don't listen to him. He's an ass. A cute ass, but still an ass," a deep voice said behind her.

Buffy turned and bumped into a tall man with tousled brown hair and friendly brown eyes. "Excuse me!" she said.

"Hi, I'm Lorne. And don't worry, sweet cheeks, I'm not after you. Let's just say you're not my type. Lorne gave her a cheeky wink. "But I would like to give you some free advice, honey, take it as you like. Leave big and bulky alone. He's too much He-Man for a girl like you. Now, that hot little blonde that slipped you a piece of paper? Perfect for you. His aura matches yours perfectly, little one. I'll tell you what…" He slipped an arm through hers and led her towards the door. "Let's you and me go get a cup of coffee and compare notes."

"I don't know you at all," Buffy laughed as the obvious gay man kept checking out the men's butts the whole time he was talking to her.

"But I'm the best girlfriend you'll find here." Lorne chuckled. "I’ll even let you paint my nails while we talk about boys."

Buffy felt as if she had found a friend she could actually talk to. Willow was in Sunnydale. Her best friend couldn't leave her boyfriend, Xander, so she'd decided to stay at SDU. They still talked everyday via email and instant message. Even Xander had gone against his vow not to become computer knowledgeable so he could keep in touch with his best friend.

"Okay, let's find us some decent mochaccinos and we can talk about boys." And with that he guided her out of the club to the coffee house down the street.


Buffy watched her past self leave with the man that become a very important friend to her. If not for Lorne Caritas, she never would have made that call five days later. He pushed her to call Spike, and became her confidant when she broke down and cried her last tears over Angel's betrayal.

*******

Spike and Hank walked over toward the swings. Hank had filled him in on what had been uncovered concerning Dru's missing years. It seemed she had gone by several aliases and was wanted for kidnapping her own child under one of them.

Social services in Pilot Point, Texas had taken Nigel from her and had placed him in foster care. Someone had reported her for abusing her son, and when they came to check out the complaint, they found him locked in a closet with his pillow and blanket. Dru had somehow discovered where his foster parents lived and had taken him from his bed one night to come here looking for Spike.

Nigel's nightmares, his fear of the dark, his aversion to going in his closet, and his need to have his favorite pillow and blanket in bed with him every night…all of it made perfect sense to Spike now. He was amazed that the boy’s sweet nature had survived his mother's mistreatment of him.

"God, I want to kill her," Spike mumbled as they drew closer to where he was going to pick up his son. "Bloody hell, Hank! What if they won't let me have him?"

"Spike, while we're in Sunnydale, we'll have you both tested to make sure he is truly your son. Then we'll petition the state of Texas for custody," Hank suggested. "Once we're settled in Sunnydale, I'll notify the authorities to Miss Downing's whereabouts."

"What if he isn't my son?" Spike whispered.

"Then you and Buffy have a big decision to make," Hank told him as he watched the boy recognized his father and came running towards them. "If Buffy is in agreement, you both could adopt him."

"Hank, I don't want to lose him," Spike whispered.

"Then have faith it will all work out," was all Hank could say.

Hank got his first good look at Nigel and grinned. He had no doubt that the child running toward them was Spike's child. "If he isn't yours, then I have to say Dru found your twin."

Spike smiled as he agreed. The boy looked too much like him not to be his. He dropped to his knees and opened his arms, allowing his boy to jump into his arms. After today, he'd move heaven and earth to protect his son from his evil bitch of mother.

"Daddy, I missed you today." Nigel's voice was excited, since he had come to love his father with all of his little heart. "Swing me."

"I missed you, too, poppet, but we can't swing today," Spike told him as he hugged him close. "We are going on a little trip, you and me."

"Where's Mummy?" Nigel asked, his voice sounding happy, not sad that his mother might not go with them.

"No Mummy. We're going to go and meet someone very important to Daddy," Spike said, again refusing to believe that Buffy was seriously ill. "I want you to meet Mr. Summers now, and then we'll meet Buffy later on."

Nigel peeked shyly up at the man who was standing next to him and his father. "Hi!"

"Hello back." Hank knelt down giving the young boy a charming smile. "Would you like to call me Grandpa Hank?"

Nigel's eyes grew big and his smile widened. "Are you my grandpa?"

"I am if you want me to be," Hank said as he watched Spike give him a shocked look. "No matter what, young man, we'll know each other for a very long time."

"Are you sure about this?" Spike asked him.

"As sure as my name is Hank Summers, I'll accept him as one of my own," Hank promised. "Now, let's get a move on, and you might ask your nanny if she wouldn't mind tagging along. She could help with our boy here while we get a few other things taken care of."

"Where is it you want me to go?" Candice asked, having quietly joined them.

"We need to take a trip somewhere and we're not sure when we'll be back," Hank told her. "We'll have time to stop and pick up a few of your things, but you can't tell anyone you're leaving town."

"No problem, my folks are at work and no one's home. I just need to leave them a note saying I'll be gone for the weekend," Candice replied. "They have washing machines where we're going, right?"

"Yes," Hank replied, liking the girl's attitude.

"Then all I need is a couple changes of clothes and I'll be set," Candice said as she ruffled Nigel's hair. "Hey, brat, you don't care if I tag along with you guys, do ya?"

"You can come," Nigel answered as he smiled at his nanny, showing everyone present just how much he looked like his father.

"Thank you Candice. We'll explain on the way. At least, all that we can, with small ears present," Spike said, as he gave her a relieved smile of gratitude.

"Come on, little man, I think you'll like this big car we're riding in," Hank said, as he watched how Spike lifted the boy in his arms and carried him to the limo.

"Nigel, no matter what happens I love you and want what is best for you," Spike whispered as he nuzzled his son's curly brown hair with his nose.

"Okay," he said with a yawn as he laid his head trustingly on Spike's shoulder.

Hank knew he would do everything he could to protect this child. He also wanted no other man to be a father to his unborn grandchildren. In his eyes, William James 'Spike' Bledsoe had the makings of being a great father.

*******