Spike blocked out the hum of the engines as he sprawled comfortably into the plush seats of the private jet Angel had procured for his outing. The last time Spike had spent any amount of time in Italy he was with Dru. This time he was in Italy for a completely different reason — to be with Buffy. ‘That is if she’ll still have me.’ He thought to himself as he looked out the 5 inch plastic windows at the mile high stars before he drifted off to sleep.



A smile spread across Spike’s handsome visage as he settled into dreamland. He was with Buffy on a deserted island with everything the way it was supposed to be. Perfect. The sun was bright, the water was blue, and he was making love to the woman he loved. He was more content than he had ever been.



Warmth settled over Spike face as he slept. But he was too engrossed in the dream to wake up. A raven haired stewardess passed him and noticed how the blind on the window was wide open allowing the sun to shine in on the vampire. Seeing him peacefully sleeping, she reached over, quickly shutting the plastic screen, blocking out the deadly sun.



The Almighty shook his head, his assumed raven locks bobbing as he noticed the smile spread wider over the vampires face. ‘Dreaming of Buffy’ he thought as he moved back down the hallway, disappearing with a shimmer of bright lights.



When the plane finally landed many hours later, Spike was still dreaming about being on the island with Buffy. “Mr. Spike.” The stewardess placed her hand gently on his shoulder, waking him. “The plane’s landed.”



Spikes eyes fluttered open, the blonde mane of the girl was the first thing he noticed. “Buffy…?”



“No Sir, my name is Sarah”



Blinking a few times, Spike realized it was, indeed the stewardess who was speaking to him. “Wow.” He stood up, stretching. “How long did I sleep?” He inquired.



“A long time, Mr. Spike.” She smiled. “You looked so peaceful; I didn’t have the heart to wake you up before.”



Smiling that tooth grin, Spike replied, “Thank you. I really think I needed that.” He felt refreshed and ready to take on the world. He figured that should be enough for this anticipated meeting. It had been a year.



“Mr. Angel left you a car to drive to your destination.” The blond blushed as she gestured to the door and he followed. Entering the door, he was surprised to see there was a canopy set up, allowing him easy access to a black limo with tinted windows. The blond handed him his bag, and thanking the young woman he headed toward the limo. The driver knew exactly where to go.



Within an hour, the limo pulled up in front of a 17th Century Palazzo, located in the Historic center. Buffy and Dawn were only two blocks away from the Piazza Navona and Rome’s Market place, the Campo de’ Fiori. Spike looked out and up at the building. It was white in color and had various ornate designs adoring it.



There was just enough shade for him to make it inside without burning up, if he ran quickly. The driver reminded Spike that Buffy and Dawn lived on the top floor of the five floor building. ‘Now or never.’ He thought, opening the door, and sprinting inside. His body was tingling with anticipation.



He walked slowly up to the elevator, pressing the button to carry him to the fifth floor. He wanted this to be special, unrushed, he thought as he moved down the hallway, his mind wandering back to that day long ago when he and Angel had traversed the same span of carpet. He had a habit of rushing on with things and not thinking them through, he was an impulse kinda guy. As he headed towards apartment number 34, he sensed something familiar nearby, but he couldn’t quite make it out. He shrugged and continued towards the apartment. Finally arriving he noticed the door ajar and a feeling of dread overwhelmed him, he pushed the door further open with the palm of his hand.



Blue eyes wandered the walls, and the vampire stopped, blinked once or twice, and lowered his head in disappointment. The apartment was completely empty. No one in site. He stood frozen for a few moments before crossing the threshold and entering the apartment. The sunlight failed miserably in its attempt to stream through the large windows on either side of the room, the cream colored curtains drowning out the rays, enabling Spike to walk freely about the apartment.



Spike wandered the apartment noting absently that they had left in quite a rush. ‘Why?’ He wondered, sadly. He had been so excited to see her and now she was gone. Buffy was gone, and it looked as if finally getting together wasn’t a possibility.



‘’What does God know anyway?” He mumbled softly to himself as he returned to the front room.



He headed toward the door, hell-bent on drinking himself into a stupor until he noticed something on the floor, in the far corner. He moved toward it, bending down to retrieve it. It was a picture of Dawn and Buffy with Xander and Willow, one of those Wal-mart photos in which everyone one was smiling, dressed in their Sunday best. Didn’t they look quite the family. Something was missing though, and intergral part of the group… Names passed through his head; Tara, Anya… people he felt had been robbed of their chance, their time… After moments of staring at the glossy 5 by 7, did Spike even think himself a missing part of the group. The loyal Scooby gang. He had to admit it, he missed the whelp. There was just something about trading insults with Xander that put Spike in a good mood. Red, with her kind words… the little bit, so caring…



He stuffed the photo in his pocket, and took one more look about the room. The corners of him mouth turned upwards as he imagined what it would have been like to see Dawn and Buffy. Blue eyes turned towards the small kitchen, as he imagined Dawn walking into the living room, where Spike now stood.



“Oh my god.” Dawn dropped the tray of food she was holding, causing it to crash to the floor. The dishes splintered into million of pieces of small porcelain when they finally hit the floor, while the food and the drinks splashed all over the walls and furniture. “Spike!” Dawn squealed, running over to him, throwing her arms around her friend. “Oh my god. You’re alive. What? When? HOW?”



“Whoa, nibblet. One question at a time.” His arms slipped around her, holding her tightly.



The slayer had come running when she’d heard the crash. “Dawnie, what’s…?” She stood still, looking like she’d just seen a ghost. “Spike? Is- is it really you?” She was frozen. Unable to move, unable to go to him, like she so desperately wanted.



Spike’s grip completely relaxed when he’d first heard her voice. Dawn stepped out of the hug, one hand still resting on his arm, never wanting to let him go.



“Sure is love, in the flesh.” He patted himself just to be sure. “It’s me.”



Finally, Buffy crossed the room to Spike, throwing herself at him, damn near taking her sister and him to the floor. He wasn’t sure when she’d begun to cry. “Oh, God, you didn’t believe me. Why didn’t you believe me?” the teas were now streaming down her cheeks. She leaned back, sitting up and straddling his torso, then she reeled back, and punched him in the nose. Like old times.



“Bloody, hell,” He said, hand shooting up to cradle his nose. “I come all this way and this is how you repay me?”



“Shut up!” Buffy said, leaning back down to wrap her arms around him again. “Why didn’t you tell me you were alive?”



“I couldn’t.” He wrapped his arms around her waist protectively, reveling in the feel of her warmth. “I couldn’t tell you because I was afraid of what would happen. I just couldn’t bear it if- if you didn’t want me.”




“Not bloody likely. Considering what a ponce I am.” Spike sighed. “Like our little reunion will ever happen like that…” He resigned himself to a long lonely plane ride with a sad sigh. “No, it’ll never happen.” Spike turned toward the door, stopping when he saw something sitting on a built in shelf along the wall.



Spike moved closer, his eyes telling his brain that it was another picture of Buffy alone. She was smiling, and acute sadness hidden in her hazel eyes. Her hair was pulled up at the sides in a clip, little wispy tendrils framing her face. She was dressed in a white summery dress, the sides floating about her. He suddenly wished he had been there when the picture was taken. She was breathtaking in that photo, but in the flesh, there was no word to describe her.



Spike smiled, thinking of her tanned skin’s stark contrast to the pure white of the dress. An unbidden memory crossed his mind. It was the night before the battle with the first. Buffy had said she needed him to hold her, some joke about Faith in her bed. He had immediately obliged the willing slave he had once told her of.



Spike sat up quickly, the sound of his own voice having woken him. Visions of various types of footwear faded from his mind as he came fully awake. “Weird dream,” he said not sure if he was speaking to Buffy or himself. He noticed Buffy then; her warmth wasn’t beside him as it had been earlier. Now she stood in the middle of the room, arms by her side, and a peculiar look on her face.



Spike moved to a sitting position, leaning forward slightly. “Buffy?” he questioned. “Is something wrong?”



“No. Yeah” She shrugged, trying to find the right words. “I just realized something. Something that really never occurred to me before. We're gonna win.” A few moments later she was walking toward him. Slow, steady, purposeful steps.



She sank to her knees in front of him, slipping her arms around his waist and resting her head on his abdomen. “We’re gonna win. And we’ll make it through, and afterwards we’ll be normal, happy people in an evil free world.” He wasn’t sure if she was reassuring herself or talking to him. He slid his hands down her back, grasping her around the waist and lifting her up toward him. Pulling her close, he lay down again on the bed. After a few moments of silence, Buffy reached down, pulling his black t-shirt up, exposing the expanse of muscled chest.



Spike’s hand reached out, staying her hand. He couldn’t bear it if this wouldn’t mean something. “Buffy…” It came out in a whisper.



Her finger came to settle over his lips, “Shhh, Spike. This isn’t a time to talk… We’ll let our bodies do the talking.” She replaced her finger with her lips, in a soft caressing kiss. His hand relaxed, and he broke the kiss and raised his arms, giving her just enough time to remove the shirt before he claimed her lips. The shirt fell from her finger tips, settling into a puddle on the floor beside the small bed.



Buffy’s lips gently dominated him, her hands pushed at his shoulders, rolling him over onto his back as she moved to straddle him. Spike gripped her hips, his hands then moved to slide up her sides, slipping beneath the silky black top she wore. Her skin felt so warm beneath his fingers, he never wanted to let her go. She broke the kiss this time, lifting her arms, allowing Spike to pull the top up and over her head, exposing her tanned skin, and smooth breasts encased in a black lace bra.



Her blond locks fell over him as she leaned back down and bit his lower lip, tugging at it lightly. Her hips ground on his, driving him deliciously insane. He—




The door clicked shut, bringing Spike out of his reverie. He whirled around his minds eyes seeing Buffy or Dawn, but he was shocked to see a man standing there, behind the door. A man he recognized as The Immortal.



The two men stood silently for a few moments, eye to eye, both wanting to speak, but neither doing so until The Immortal noticed the picture that Spike held in his hand.



“I took that…” He said. Spike still stared, The Immortal wasn’t even sure if he was listening. “I thought she looked so lovely that day, but she was very sad. I thought taking her to Tuscany would make her happy... I even rented a villa for her, her sister, and her friends to say in. We had a good time… but you were never far from her thoughts.”



He paused a moment his eyes meeting Spike’s for the first time. “She never loved me. I loved everything about her—her strength, her beauty, the twinkle in her eye, the way her hair fluttered about her.” his eyes unfocused as he spoke, as if he were watching a rerun of the scenes in which he spoke. “I even tried to get her to love me. I gave her lavish gifts, took her to exotic places, she was always so… distant. In the end, I knew that she wanted was you. Sometimes in her dreams at night, I’d hear her calling out for you.” He continued sadly.



“You’ve won, Spike. You’ve finally won. She never stopped loving you.” With that he left, leaving Spike alone in the apartment once again.



“Yeah, mate, that’s what they’ve been telling me.” Spike removed the photo from it’s frame and slipped it into his pocket with the one of the group. Soon he found himself standing outside apartment number 34. Now one more person had told him Buffy loved him. ‘Does God count as a person?’ he absently wondered as he pushed the button that would bring the elevator to the bottom floor. Another obstacle piled onto all the others that kept them apart. Would it ever happen? Only time will tell.



As Spike dashed out to the awaiting limo, God materialized in the foyer of the building and watched a sad Spike slide into the limo. He was proud that Spike had come all this way to see Buffy, but sad that he’d only missed her by a few days.



God knew Buffy and her sister were moving back to Ohio to be with Faith and Robin at the Cleveland Hellmouth. Things were suddenly starting to heat up, and slayers were dying. There was only one person for the job, and that was Buffy. The Almighty had just underestimated the resilience of the blond. He hadn’t realized she would leave so quickly.



*****



Not long after Spike exited his private jet, Cordy and Angel landed. Like Spike, Angel had a limo wait for him and Cordy. They’d stopped at every boutique in town, although, Angel stayed in the limo for most of the trip. In select other stores, they were able to pull in the alley and enter from the back of the store.



It was like Christmas for Cordy. She’d come out with ten bags full of clothes and shoes. Whatever she wanted, Angel gave to her. After all he had all the money in the world to buy her what she wanted.



At the very last shop, Lilianna’s, Cordy saw a “to die for” pearl grey suit in the window and demanded that the limo driver stop. As soon as she was released from the limo, she was inside the store admiring the suit. The soft silk taffeta was decorated with two buttons on the jacket, the top button strategically placed below the breasts. There was a choice between pants or a parachute laced skirt of the same material. Excited, Cordy grabbed the pants and the jacket and headed into the changing room to try it on. It hugged the curves of her body in all the right places, and satisfied she quickly changed back into her dress, knowing Angel would be pleased. She paid for the outfit and headed back out to the limo.



The driver opened the door to the limo and Cordy slid in, she couldn’t help but giggle. Angel was terribly lost in a sea of shopping bags, but he didn’t mind so much, as long as she was happy, and of course she was ecstatic.



“Did you get it?” Angel asked curiously.



“Yes!” Cordy smiled brightly, removing the purchase from its box. “It looks great on me.” She placed the outfit back in the box, and leaned over to Angel, kissing him on the cheek.



“What was that for?” Angel asked, grinning.



Cordy tilted her head and answered, “Thank you for doing this for me. The clothes are wonderful I love them all, but most of all I loved just spending the day with you.”



“Me too Cordelia, I’m glad that to see that you’re happy. This was something that we really needed, especially with the darkness that has been our lives.”



Just as they leaned into kiss one another, Cordy’s stomach rumbled. “Oh,” she said a little embarrassed. “I think I should eat.” She giggled.



“There’s this place about a couple of miles away I know with great food.” Angel turned towards the Driver and gave him the directions in Italian.



Twenty minutes later, the limo pulled up in front of Adelphus. The brick had been painted white, but it was evident by the chipping, that that was quite a while ago. None of the patrons seemed to mind. They had wonderful food.



What most people failed to realize was that Adelphus’ patrons were mostly demons and vampires, but during the daylight hours, their human patrons would stop by.



Angel had first learned of the establishment in the days of Darla, but that little tidbit, he was just going to keep to himself. Maybe another time, he would tell Cordy the truth, but today she was just too happy for him to ruin it.



As the couple walked into the restaurant, Angel was promptly greeted by Adelphus himself. He was a tall, burley, half demon Italian who almost as old as Angel was.



“Angelus!” Adelphus said in his thick Italian accent, grasping Angel’s hand to shake. "What you doing here, in Italy?” His eyes raked over Cordelia appreciatively. “And who is this beautiful young lady?”



“It’s good to see you too, Adelphus, please call me Angel. I’m not the person I once was.” Angel smiled kindly at the perplexed man. “This is my…” He paused momentarily, deciding on the proper title for Cordy. “…girlfriend, Cordelia Chase.”



Surprised by his choice of words, Cordelia interlaced her fingers with his and smiled.



“I’ve got the best seat in the house for you, Angel.” Adelphus said as he led them to the back of the restaurant. It was quiet and very romantic spot, “Here you go, Ms. Cordelia.” Adelphus pulled the chair out for her. She settled into it as he gently pushed the chair up to the table.



The big Italian placed two menus in front of them. Angel ordered a bottle of red wine, which Adelphus delivered before they ordered their meals.



“I suggest a darker meat; the wine will enhance the flavor. Now, what would you like, Ms Cordelia?” Adelphus asked.



“I’ll have a bowl of Tortellini in Brodo, followed by the Fritto di Lesso alla Milanese with the traditional sides, and a few Biscotti con Pignoli for dessert,” she responded with a smile. *



“Oh, that Ms. Cordelia, I can gaurentee you will enjoy.” Beamed the half demon. He turned to Angel who still stood shocked at Cordy’s order. “Now you? What would you like?” Adelphus turned towards Angel; half expected him to order his usual.



“I’ll take a small plate of Angolotti, then Bistecca alla Fiorentina, and I’ll have the same dessert as Crody,” Angel answered with a smile handing over the menu. **



Angel watched as Adelphus retreated to the kitchen. A thought suddenly struck about what he’d seen in the mirror today. It had been so long since he’d seen himself, he’d forgotten what he looked like. The dark hared vampire smiled at his beautiful companion and wondered what other gifts were in store for him.



Cordy sipped her wine, noticing that despite the smile on his fce, Angel seemed to be Mr. Broody all of the sudden. “No way! You are so not going there!”



“Huh?” Angel asked, meeting her gaze. “What? Oh.” He suddenly realized she’d caught him thinking. “Oh that. Yeah, I’m sorry. I was just thinking about something. Nothing important.”



“Are you sure?”



“It was nothing.” Angel reached out, his fingers moving to caress her hand. “So what do you say we make a toast?” He subtly changed the subject. The couple raised their glasses. “Let’s toast to new beginnings,” he offered, they clinked their glasses together.



“New Beginnings.”



About that time their meals began arrived, hot and steamy. As they eat, they talked, about old times and their future together. It was as if Cordy had been here all along. They were finished with their meals and Angel paid the check. They left, heading back to the limo.



*****



Spike’s heart was breaking into millions of pieces. He knew he should’ve left well enough alone, but no, he had to listen to the poofter and go to Italy to see Buffy. He knew deep down she didn’t really love him despite what everyone, including God had told him. ‘She obviously has a new life now that doesn’t include me,’ he thought wearily with a sigh. He was bound and determined to start his new life when he returned to L.A.



As the limo pulled up to the airport, Spike stepped out into the shaded carport and headed inside to wait for the plane. It wasn’t ready yet so Spike waited in the lounge away from the sun filled room. A few moments later, Angel and Cordy’s limo pulled up and they too headed inside. Angel saw Spike first, he knew that meant it hadn’t gone well and felt bad for his grand childe. He knew that pain all to well; he turned his gazed to the women standing next to him.

When Cordy had died a year before, Angel felt lost and alone, but he’d tried to move on as best as he could.



“I’m gonna go over and talk to Spike for a moment.” Angel said to Cordelia, cupping her face in his hands and giving her a tender kiss.



“Spike!” Angel said as he sat next to the younger vampire. “I’m sorry it didn’t go well.”



“Yeah, well, so I am.” Spike sighed. “She wasn’t even bloody there!”



“What?” Angel furrowed his brow in confusion. “What do you mean ‘wasn’t there’? Did she just up and leave?”



Spike nodded. “The bloody Immortal showed up, told me she wanted me and all that rot, but where the bleeding hell was she?”



“All right, Spike, calm down. We’ll find her,” Angel said, kindly. He really wanted it to work for Spike and Buffy. He wanted them to be as happy as he was with Cordelia.



Spike was in no mood to hear Angel spouting off at the mouth. He stood up and headed for the door, not even caring about the sun. Angel went after him and pulled him aside. Cordy smiled knowingly as she watched the two vampires. Spike and Angel were standing in the sun, standing in all their glory, no special glass had protected them from it’s burning rays. Obviously they were to busy to realize it, 'I guess the absence of sizzling and pain hadn’t really alerted them.' Unable to hold it in any longer, Cordy burst out laughing, causing both men to turn and look at her, baffled.



“What?” They both asked in unison.



“You don’t even know where you’re standing?”



“Huh?” Spike asked confused looking around. Shortly afterward, Angel realized where he was standing, quickly stepping back like his feet were on fire.



“You didn’t poof?” Spike said with a grin. “We- we can stand in the sun…” He looked over at Cordy. “We can be in the bloody sun!” He had not been this excited since… since he’d been a little kid at Christmas.



Cordy nodded excitedly. A smile slowly spread across Angel’s handsome features. “I can see myself. I can go into the sun. What more could man ask for!” Angel quickly scooped her up in his arms, twirling around.



Spike looked at Angel for a moment. “You can see yourself?” he asked, quickly running to the nearest window without waiting for an answer. His eyes adjusted to the brightness of the sun, but he was quickly able to see his reflection in the glass. A grin spread across his face that just wouldn’t go away. He could definitely get used to this!



He quickly moved through the doors, stepping outside. His sapphire blue eyes raced about the runway, testing the sun a little more. “This is fucking wonderful!” he screamed to no one specifically. The only thing that would make this amazing day any better were if Buffy were here with him. She had always been his sunshine when he couldn’t go out. Now, he has the sun. He found himself still in need of her sunshine. It was worth everything that he’d been through. “Totally worth it!” he said in another aside to the non existent crowd.



Angel and Cordy walked outside in time to hear Spike’s last words. Angel and Spike shook hands. From that moment on, they were friends for life, an unspoken bond saying they would never again be enemies.



TBC


A note from Askita:

* Cordelia had a soup to start, Tortellini in Broth(Tortellini in Brodo), for her main course, she had Fried Boiled Meat, Milanese Style(Fritto di Lesso alla Milanese), Cookies with Pine Nuts(Biscotti con Pignoli) for dessert





**Angolotti is a type of stuffed pasta, and Bistecca alla Fiorentina is Florentine Style Steak.



The website I used to look up their orders is http://italianfood.about.com/blfeat.htm. Even though my husband it Italian, I know nearly nothing of Italian food, even though I’m trying.