She wanted to call Giles right away, so she fished out her cell phone and dialed. Giles was answered after the third try, sounding tired. It was probably the middle of the night in England; Buffy could never keep it straight. "Who is this?" he mumbled.

"It's Buffy," she said. "I've got an idea I think you'd be interested in."

"Can this wait, Buffy? I'm otherwise engaged, at the moment."

Buffy heard a female voice in the background saying something like, 'Rupert, I'm cold.' She wrinkled her nose and said, "Giles, are you horizontal?"

"It's no business of yours, but, yes I am."

Buffy sighed and shook her head. "Giles, why do you do this to me? It's very damaging for me to call you up in the middle of the night and hear things like that. You are my father figure, and you are also very, very old."

"Hardly old enough for you, though."

"Hmm?"

"Oh, nothing, just ribbing you for dating the undead," he said.

"Speaking of which, Spike is human now. We're dating. Thought you should know."

"Figures," he mumbled. "What was this idea?"

She told him about the slayer school. He listened patiently, and waited a long time before answering. She thought he might have fallen asleep. Finally, he said, "Alright."

"Really?"

"I'm not crazy about the whole thing," he admitted. "As you so often remind me, I am getting very old and I'm not eager to start training another slayer, let alone hundreds. But you're right, the girls need guidance. I'm in."

Willow was on board, too. Wood laughed and promised to be principal. Faith couldn't commit to anything, since she was supposed to go back to prison, but she promised to help where she could.

They would have to pick a location; Wood said Cleveland was the hellmouth, so they should stay there, but Buffy hated the idea of life in Ohio. They would work it out. No matter what, things would be better than they ever had been for her. They had to be.

"I suppose my powers will come in handy," Spike said. "I assume I'll be the punching bag again?"

She smiled at him. Where were they going? Could they really date? She still couldn't imagine calling him her boyfriend, but there was something about him she couldn't deny. He knew her. He could reach her in ways no one else could. And she knew him. It had taken both of their deaths and pain all around, but she knew what he was about. She loved him. It might just be enough.

"I don't know," she said. "We'll see."


The End