Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you, all, you’re making Sara and me soooo happy!!! ;) ;)
Chapter 5


Buffy had been staring at the content of her closet for about twenty minutes. She stood still, scanning every piece of cloth she owned. What do you usually wear for a job interview? Or rather what do you usually wear for a job interview in a radio station? If only she’d had a ‘Kiss the DJ’ T-shirt it would’ve been much easier, but she had nothing like that. And that wasn’t the real problem; maybe she should wear a simple pair of jeans, a jacket or something more casual. She rolled her eyes and gave out a flustered scream.
Dawn rushed towards her sister’s room and glared at her.
“What? Did a sweater attack you?”
“I wish it had, at least my torture would be over!”
“Buffy, c’mon, you’ve had job interviews before, so why can’t you find something to wear?”
“This is not an ordinary job interview. What would you wear to have a colloquy for a job you have never thought about, a job that wasn’t in your dreams when you were just a kid, working with a man who... Grrrr...” she growled, sitting on her bed exhausted.
Dawn smiled and looked inside the opened closet, drawing out a pair of black jeans, a red blouse and a black jacket to match it.
Buffy looked at the chosen outfit and smiled.
“These clothes are perfect. They don’t say ‘Hire me, please, I’ve always wanted to work in a radio station!’, but they still wink and say ‘You have no idea what you’ll lose if you don’t hire me!’”
Buffy looked at her sister and burst out laughing.
“Since when do my clothes talk to you?”
“Since always, especially on Saturday nights, before I go to the Bronze, they ask me ‘Please, Dawn, wear us!’” she said in a high pitched voice. Buffy laughed again and began changing her clothes, as Dawn left the room. Once she was on the threshold she turned back with a knowing smile. “Anyway, big sis, maybe the job wasn’t what you dreamed about when you were a child... but the man is!” she teased her laughing and dodging to avoid the pillow that Buffy had thrown at her.
The blonde resumed concentrating on her clothes, trying not to think on her sister’s witty remark.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two hours later she was at the ‘Magic Box’ studios.
She raised her head and observed the building, taking a deep breath and getting in.
In the meantime, William paced back and forward in the corridor as Giles looked at him, clutching his head with his hands.
“Quit it, please. She should be here in a few minutes, she’s not late; so, why are you so uptight?”
“I’m not uptight, I’m realistic. She hates me, so she’ll be late on purpose, or worse, maybe she won’t even come!”
“So, can you explain me why you want just her?”
“Due to two very good reasons: first, she is *not* Harm, and second, I got the feeling that with her it could work, she never listens to me, she has a fiery temper, she is... well, you’ll see after you meet her and then you’ll decide!”
“Yeah, we’ll see. Now I’ll go back to my office to take an aspirin, because if, as I suppose, she is anything like you, I’ll need something strong to stand the two of you together!”

Giles left and Spike resumed his pacing. That girl would drive him crazy, he was sure about that. He stopped abruptly. She was there and she was on time. Fine, it seemed that she wanted to keep her word. He liked serious people who did what they say they would. He crossed his arms in front of his chest and waited for her.
Buffy had just got off the elevator and she had already seen him. How could she not see him! He was pacing back and forth as if he was a caged lion and then he had seen her, too. She was about to smile at him when she saw him cross his arms and narrow his eyes.
Now what did she do? She had just arrived there and he already seemed to be angry with her. How could she irritate him so easily with her only presence?
Alright, now she was angry, too. She hated to feel guilty for something she hadn’t even done!
They were annoying each other from afar and after not even a minute.. it would be a very long week.

When she stood in front of William, he stared at her for a while.
“Did you see what time it is?”
“Yes, it’s five minutes prior to the job interview.”
They glared at each other and they seemed ready to start a furious fight.
“So, didn’t you think that maybe it was better if we would meet before your job interview?”
“Why?”
“Well, to suggest you what to say and mostly how to say it!”
“And how would you do that, Mr. Highlighter!”
“It seems obvious, pixie. You need some advice on how to talk, maybe some good manners lessons, too!”
“Funny, it is really funny to hear that from you! I came here to save your ass and instead of welcoming me as you should, you accuse me of being so stupid that I need a transcript and some good manners lessons from you!”
Spike felt slightly –and just for a second– guilty, but shook that thought away and talked with a louder tone.
“First, I didn’t say you’re stupid, second, I still think you need some lessons, maybe not on manners, but at least on femininity!”
“So, do *you* wanna teach me about that?”
“That’s not the point! Anyway, you’re late and I just wanted to help you...”
“You’re changing subjects. Anyway, how could you help me? Showing me how to sway my hips when I walk?”

By then, there a crowd had already gathered to enjoy the heated discussion, but the two blondes kept arguing without caring about anyone else.
For the very first time, Xander, Wesley, Anya and Giles saw a woman who could challenge Spike for real.
They all had been working together for several years, so they were accustomed to see beautiful girls who looked at Spike with a dreamy smile, almost brainless.
And now, this blonde not only didn’t look a t him with heart-shaped eyes, quite the contrary, she seemed ready to punch his face!

Still ignoring their crowd, Buffy and William kept their wordy fight.
“No, my dear, although I could teach you how to be sexy! Truth is that I know my uncle, so I could give you some advice on how to impress him...”
“Your uncle?!”
“Yes, the Magic Box’s owner. You know, if he hadn’t introduced his College mate, Ethan, to his dear younger sister, Darla, well... I would’ve never been born!”
“And that would’ve been such a tragedy!” she struck back sarcastically. “So, tell me, does your father work here, too?”
“No, he has nothing to do with the radio business; he owns a big costume’s shop at the centre of town, specialized on Halloween, Carnival and masquerade parties costumes. I can tell you, they are so perfect that... anyone who buys them almost feel as if they really become what they wear! But this is not the point...”
“Yeah, the point is: your uncle is the Radio Owner! So, are you his protégé? That’s why you keep working here despite your bad attitude!”
“I’m not his protégé; I work here just because I’m bloody good. Am I wrong or... the first time we met you wanted my autograph?”
Buffy’s face became almost purple, and she wasn’t sure if it was due to her rage or her embarrassment.
“I didn’t want your autograph, I just wanted to congratulate you on your program, but you were so self-centred and bragging that you thought I was a bimbo who was excited just because I had seen you! It’s not even that I rushed towards you!”

< Well, Buffy, you know * it is *!> she told herself.

“Anyway, you’re very good when you’re doing your show, but that’s only because you are faking, you are nothing but an unbelievable cocky conceited boy! Gee, I don’t even know what I’m doing here!”

Giles reached them in that precise moment, deciding to intervene before things took a turn for the worse and she decided to leave.
“Good morning, Miss Summers, I guess you are here to talk with me!” Buffy turned abruptly, astonished, trying to remember what she had to do and who the man in front of her was. “Nice to meet you!” he said, stretching his hand to her. “I’m Rupert Giles, the owner of this shack!”
Realization hit her and she finally noticed the crowd that had gathered around them and had seen their little show.

< Any chance I might have had is gone. After this scene they’ll surely kick me out!> she thought.

“Hi, Mr. Giles, I’m sorry for this, if you still wanna do the job interview... although I don’t think that...” she trailed, as her hands were wet with cold sweat.
“We don’t need it anymore ...” he said. Buffy looked defeated to the floor. “You’re perfect!”
She looked at him in disbelief. What had happened here?
“You just showed me that you are the person I’m looking for. Anyway, if you want to come to my office I could offer you a cup of coffee and we could chat a little...” Buffy smiled and followed him, still a bit confused. “William!” Giles called his nephew out. “Why don’t you join us?”
Spike followed them, as perplexed as Buffy was and still puzzled for the ‘gentle exchange of opinions’ he had just had with the girl.

Once they were inside Giles’ office, most of the ‘crowd’ went back to their respective works, too, leaving only Anya, Xander and Wesley who stood dumbfounded in the corridor.
“I can’t believe it!” Xander exclaimed. “I just saw what I thought I’d never ever see...”
“Yeah, ‘Voices in the Night’ will be very spicy if they are always like that!” Wesley commented.
Anya kept staring at the closed door, very thoughtfully, and then she smiled amused.
“Lets’ start the gambles, I bet fifty dollars that they’ll do it in three weeks!”
“Do what?” the other two asked her, puzzled and worried, because when it was a matter of money, Anya always found a way to win.
“It’s obvious: how long it will take them to end up in a bed together!”
The two guys shook their heads as they followed her.
After all, Anya was always Anya.

TBC