Author's Chapter Notes:
Updates on this story will probably slow down for a while. More like once or twice a week, while I work on Life Eternal, Legacy and Balance at the same time. Thank you for all your reviews.

The poem is by D.H. Lawrence.
She could feel the smile on her face even before she woke up; it had probably been there all night.

Surrounded by love, how could she not smile?

She raised her head to look up at Spike; her heart melted at the adorable picture he presented, eyes closed and face relaxed in sleep, looking so very innocent. His mouth was open and he was breathing, an unconscious action, she believed. His hair was tousled with wild curls everywhere and the most cherished sight, her bite mark on the side of his neck.

Regret threatened to appear when she thought about all the times she missed getting to see this side of him, but she pushed it down. She was determined to make things better this time around.

She could feel him still buried inside of her, he had softened during the night but with a slight ripple of her muscles she could feel him begin to harden once again.

She stretched her neck out until her mouth rested right near her marks. She blew hot breath lightly against him and watched his face as a smile crept across it. She features shifted and she gently sunk her fangs into his neck and began sipping lightly.

She never thought there would come a day, even if she were turned, where she would enjoy the taste of blood. Yet drinking from Spike wasn’t like drinking blood, there wasn’t any bitter coppery taste or anything, it tasted just like his skin, and it filled her with his love and adoration.

When she started rippling her muscles around his cock in time with her sips, a purring noise filled his chest. His hands moved, one to clutch the back of her head, holding her gently to him and one to grab a hold of hip seeking better purchase to thrust himself up into her.

“I want to wake up like this every morning.” He murmured.

She clamped down tightly with her teeth and muscles, causing him to erupt in a gentle climax with a growl. She pulled back from his neck and changed back into her human guise.

She raised her head up to meet his. He licked her lips clean of his blood before kissing her deeply.

He pulled back long enough to mutter. “G’morning” before diving back in for more kisses.

“Mmmmm.” Buffy murmured back to him.

He pulled back again. “Sorry, luv. Did you say something?”

She glared at him playfully. “Yes I did. I said…” She pulled him back towards her and started kissing him again.

Spike tightened his hold on her and just got lost in the decadent sensation of waking up with the woman he loved next to him and not having to watch her rush off in a desperate need to forget him.

Yes he could get used to this.

But would he have the chance? He knew he shouldn’t push her any further, but he had to know.

“So what happens now?” He tried to keep his voice noncommittal, as he waited for her to begin her usual dodging and avoiding.

“I was thinking somewhere along the lines of shower.” She grinned up at him impishly. “I wash your back, you wash mine?”

It wasn’t the answer he was hoping for, but still she didn’t seem to be in a hurry to get away from him. Maybe this time things would be different.

Hope bloomed inside him under the shining rays of her smile.

When he had been human, he had believed that those under the influence of love, deep and true, would actually glow. After he had been turned he began to understand better what people were hinting about when they used terms like ‘after glow’. It was all just poetic licensing that humans used to make things more magical than they really were. He had certainly never seen any evidence of such and occurrence, not even the sated, happy expressions on Dru and Darla’s faces after their encounter with the Immortal could really be called glowing.

All this ran through his mind as he looked down at her and he realized that she was actually glowing. Her eyes were so bright and shiny it was like there was a light behind them. He lips were soft, full and still wet from his kisses. And the sunlight caught in the blond hair that had tangled on top of her head from the physical activities of the night before.

She looked like an angel.

Spike took so long in responding, Buffy began to worry he had taken her gentle teasing as her usual skirting of the issue of them.

She raised one of her hands to brush across his forehead; she was about to reassure him when it happened.

He began to speak.

His voice alone, crisp clear, sounding remarkably like Giles or Wesley, had her attention right way.

Then the words sunk in.

Nothing could have prepared her for it. There is no way to prepare for one of the most powerful moments of your life.




“for what is the beloved?
She is that which I myself
Am not. In the act of love,
I am pure male, and she is
Pure female. She is she
And I am I, and clasped
Together with her I know
How perfectly I am not
Her, how utterly we are
Two, the light and the
Darkness, and how
Infinitely and eternally,
Not-to-be comprehended by
Either of us is the
Surpassing One we make.”


Silence echoed loudly in the room. Spike had a look of terror and horror on his face when he realized what he had just done. He looked at her face for her reaction. Dozens of excuses to explain his sudden poetry recital ran frantically through his mind.

For Buffy everything clicked into place. It was like all the pieces finally came together. She saw him, saw who he was suddenly, saw all of him.

‘I see with perfect clarity who you are.’

Before she had accepted that she loved him, and accepted that he loved her, but she hadn’t believed all of the myths about Mates and true love she had written off. Now she understood what it all meant.

“I love you so much and I am not ever leaving your side again, not even if the Powers, themselves, try to separate us.” The joy on his face made her laugh out loud. “You belong to me.”

Next thing she knew she was on her back with a hungry vampire attacking her lips with fervor.



Willow just wanted to sit down and cry. All she had wanted was to get some sleep, instead she had to play counselor for almost everyone in the building.

After she had left Wesley and Illyria, Angel had found her. He wanted to find Wesley so he could try to perform the spell to transform his girlfriend. Thinking Wesley and Illyria needed some time to themselves she tried to distract him.

Instead what had happened, and she blamed her tired brain on this one, was she wound up at the hospital performing the spell.

She winced as she tried to move and felt pain roll through her coming from the claw marks on her arms and chest.

Thinking things through enough to make sure Nina was secured before waking up her wolfie state would have been a really good idea.

“What in the hell were you thinking?!?” Giles was screaming at her. He had been for a while now. Of course Angel had been no help, he had fallen into one of his brooding spells when Nina escaped after he pulled her off Willow. Now there was a werewolf loose in Los Angeles, and there were currently thirty different Slayers patrolling here.

“I…” She tried again to say something, although what, she wasn’t sure. Anything to cause a break in the screaming.

“You weren’t thinking. I thought you said you’d stay away from the dark magics? What if you would have lost control? That would’ve been something else we’d have to worry about.”

All she wanted to do was cry, then sleep. Maybe she could have a bath. She could cry in the bath and then go to sleep. The pain medicine the doctors had given her was making her brain a little loopy at this point.

She could have used a healing spell on herself, but considering it was her own stupidity that caused this in the first place, it just didn’t seem right.

Giles sighed, finally noticing the exhaustion on her face and the tears hiding in her eyes. He was tired himself. “I’m going to take you back to the hotel, you need to get some sleep.”

It took all of Willow’s restraint not to yell ‘NO SHIT’. She knew it was just the exhaustion talking, though.

“I’ll have to get Buffy up, maybe she will have better senses to track Nina.”

Buffy.

Uh-oh.

“Um Giles, Buffy’s not at the hotel.”

Giles gave her a funny look. “Did she go to Spike’s after all?” He didn’t sound angry; maybe that was a good sign. She noticed Angel lifted his head, suddenly forgetting his fear for his ‘girlfriend’.

“No, they went off somewhere to be alone. We won’t be able to reach them until sundown.”

Given her current state, it was hard not giggle when Giles began to turn a bright purple color.

“Of all the bloody stupid things…” He stopped and glared at her. “Do you know where they are?”

“Nope, but the green guy does.”

“Green guy?” Giles asked her.

Willow nodded her head vigorously. “Yeppers. He’s greeeeen.” She was starting to like these pain pills. She didn’t feel so tired anymore and everything was so much more fun, even words.

“She means Lorne.” Angel said. “I’ll try to reach him.”

“That would be a good idea.”

“Do we know where Wesley is?” Giles asked. He was going to need help.

“He’s with Fred.” Willow sang out. Giles noticed she was making little sparkling butterflies with her magic, absently. “No. Illyria, who is Fred.” Another butterfly. “But is also Illyria.” Another butterfly. “Who is also Fred.”

“Willow, that will be enough, no more butterflies.”

Willow pouted. “Fine.” All the butterflies disappeared. “You are no fun.”

“Is there somewhere she can get some sleep?” Giles asked Angel wearily.

“Yeah, she can use my apartment.”

“I believe she needs it.”

Willow had fallen back in her chair and was singing “Bippity Boppity Boo”. Giles just shook his head.



“So now you will try to destroy me to help Fred.” Illyria stated.

Wesley shook his head and stood up. “No, I won’t.”

“But you won’t help me get rid of her either.”

Wesley shot a look at her. “No, I won’t do that either.”

“You want me to suffer, you want me to continue on feeling this pain every day. That is how you will punish me.” Illyria stood up and face him angrily.

Furious and uncaring at this point Wesley grabbed her shoulders roughly. “You think you are the only one in pain? You are supposed to sense the emotions of others and you can’t feel the pain I feel? Do you know what its like watching you walk around here, looking so much like her, but not her? Even when you were pretending to be her when her parents were here, I could tell you weren’t her.”

Illyria wouldn’t meet his eyes. “It is your pain that causes mine.” She whispered.

Wesley let her go. “Fred told me that everything happens for a reason. She said I needed to be nicer to you.”

“You are not doing such a good job of that.” Illyria muttered.

“No, I don’t suppose I am.” Wesley thought for a moment. Fred said to be nicer to her, more accepting, but what could he discuss with her.

“I would like to find something to eat.” He told her. “Would you join me?” Illyria looked curious.

“I do not eat.”

“I know that, but I thought perhaps we could talk.”

“What would we talk about?”

“You have spent so much time absorbing knowledge of our world, I thought maybe you could tell me about your time, your world.”

“We walked in rivers of blood…” Illyria began.

Wesley held up a hand to stop her.

“If you could wait until we sat down to eat.” He said. “And if you could edit out the graphic violence, anti-human monologues, and the blood lust, I would appreciate it.” He turned and began walking down the hallway.

“I would not know what else to tell you about.”

“I’m sure you’ll think of something.”


Buffy and Spike were just emerging from the bathroom, towels wrapped around them as they dried off.

“So you’re saying that if I had started spouting Nancy boy poetry years ago, we might have had a better run back then.”

“As opposed to the lovely line about ‘the only thing better than killing a Slayer…’” He looked embarrassed. “Yeah, poetry would have gotten you farther.” She said.

They returned to the bed. “Although honestly, I’m not sure there was anything you could have really done to break through the Buffy wall.” The towels were thrown to the floor as they wrapped themselves around each other. “You were right a bubble bath was much better than a shower.” Buffy added.

Neither spoke for a while, just enjoyed the feeling of being together.

“We need to talk about your closet space.” Buffy said.

“My what?” Spike asked irritated that she had interrupted his contemplation of where on her body was the softest skin.

“Your closet. Surely you don’t expect that tiny little space, even though there’s nothing in it, to hold all my clothes.” She reconsidered. “We’re probably going to have to find a bigger place, in a nicer neighborhood.”

Having her by his side for all eternity was something he was happy to accept. Her dragging three hundred pounds of clothing and shoes to everyplace they went was not.

“I didn’t think you wanted to stay in LA, pet.”

”I don’t necessarily, but since we’ll be here for a while.”

“But we don’t know how long that is.” He protested. “I would hate for you to drag everything over here and then we have to turn around and pack it all up again.”

She looked dubious.

He decided to try another tactic. “Think about Sunnydale. You couldn’t take all your shoes out before the city sank, could you? What if something like that happens here?”

”Hmm. You are probably right.” She thought for a moment. “I’ll just have to get new pairs of clothes for while I’m here.”

Defeated Spike gave in. “We’ll start looking for another place tonight.” He promised. Then he had a thought.

“How are we going to pay for it?”

Buffy eyes widened and she turned her head to look at him more directly. “Don’t you get paid by Wolfram and Hart?”

“No, I could have m’own place at the firm, but I don’t want to stay there. Do you?”

“A world of no.”

“Don’t you get paid by the Watchers?”

“Not really. They pay for our apartment in Rome in exchange for me training girls a couple of times a week, but I’ve been working in a restaurant to supplement.”

They thought for a moment. “I think its time we started getting paid for this ‘Save the World’ gig.” Spike said.

“Agreed.”

There was the sound of a car pulling up the driveway.

“Are you expecting someone?” Buffy asked him.

“No.”

They heard doors slam and both could feel the presence of several demons.

“Several someones.” Spike said.

The front door opened.

“Why is the door unlocked?” A rough voice bellowed.

“I didn’t leave it unlocked.” Another voice, higher in tone answered.

“Spike, who owns this house, really?”

“I don’t know. I asked Lorne to find us someplace we could be alone without any interruptions from Scoobies, Watchers, or Peaches.”

Loud stomping noises were heard and then someone started turning the doorknob. Buffy and Spike flew out of bed and began throwing on their clothes.

“So you don’t know what’s on the other side of that door?”

“Not a clue, pet.” Spike ran over to the pile of things he asked Lorne for, he picked up the swords and threw one to her.

“And you were planning on doing what with these?” She asked.

He gave her and impatient look. “I thought we might get some fighting in later.”

Buffy admired the sword. “Cool.”

“Who’s in there?” The voice alone shook the door, and then the pounding began.

“Do your plans ever end well?” She asked him.

“Ha, bloody, ha, Slayer.” He answered.

Just then the door broke open to reveal two very large and obviously very angry demons.

“Half breeds!” One yelled.

“Ahhh!!” The other screamed. “They had intercourse on our bed.” It wailed.

“This is all just a misunderstanding.” Buffy tried to tell them.

With a loud roar the first one attacked.